The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

World Travel - Is it one of your BIG goals/dreams?

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I've done a pretty good job at it. Takeaways:

1. Do it as young as possible.
2. You will learn more about your native country by living abroad than the actual culture you are "visiting".
3. Nobody has the time, nobody has the money...do it anyway!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
In 6 weeks time, 13 years of full time employment comes to an end when my GF and I head to Europe.

My house is being rented out, we have 3 weeks of holidaying, then move somewhere in England with some savings behind us and for 6-12 months work/earn more cash, travel around, keep earning, keep travelling, until my visa runs out. As its getting closer the reality of walking away from my Slowlane comfortable situation to having no garanteed income is terrifying.

I cant wait!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Not interested in travelling....the only trip I'm interested in is going to space, I hope Virgin Galatic will make it possible...

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
All the issues that you are referring to with air travel can be corrected if you value your time more than money.

Global Entry you pay for, but can save you tons of time passing through US customs. I have a Platinum Amex card, which gains me access to many airline lounges, waives global entry fees, and just makes air travel that much more enjoyable and I get to work in peace on my fastlane projects when traveling.

Also, money can buy you first class to not be cramped up. Also, one benefit I've noticed being in the lounges, is most of them are people that value their time much more than money, and most are fastlaners also. Just being around like people in those lounges, I've learned a lot. Most are on their cell phones talking about business deals they have going on, so you get a rare chance to listen in on someone sitting next to you who is working on similar business deals that maybe you want to be a part of one day.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Get a clear card ( www.clearme.com ) and a global entry ( www.globalentry.gov ) membership. It's a significant time saver. Security lines are usually less than two minutes and skipping customs lines is nearly priceless.

Wow, I had no idea that this kind of thing existed! Very cool! I don't travel enough right now to make it worth the membership, but I predict a lot more traveling in my near future, and this might make it much more enjoyable.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
All the issues that you are referring to with air travel can be corrected if you value your time more than money.

Global Entry you pay for, but can save you tons of time passing through US customs. I have a Platinum Amex card, which gains me access to many airline lounges, waives global entry fees, and just makes air travel that much more enjoyable and I get to work in peace on my fastlane projects when traveling.

Also, money can buy you first class to not be cramped up. Also, one benefit I've noticed being in the lounges, is most of them are people that value their time much more than money, and most are fastlaners also. Just being around like people in those lounges, I've learned a lot. Most are on their cell phones talking about business deals they have going on, so you get a rare chance to listen in on someone sitting next to you who is working on similar business deals that maybe you want to be a part of one day.

I wouldn't consider it corrected... I do fly first class a large percentage of the time. I have 2 platinum amexes and the United club card and frequent the lounges. I also have global entry. I have the trusted traveler pass and TSA precheck. Still sucks...

I want to fly jetsuite sometime in 2014 to see how I like it.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I rather first find a good location with great weather, people, something that supports my ideal/dream lifestyle so that it would be NORMAL for me to live where I want to live

This is HUGE! MJ knows it! Haha

I've thought about places where I think I'd really thrive in here in the USA too. I have a list of 7 USA cities that I need to spend time in and get a feel of.

My first priority is to have the income to make it possible of course ;) That way I can have much more options readily available in life, like travel :) The potential is there, we just need to acquire it or become it.

I want to know more about the psychology of the urge to travel now. A lot of things come to mind already, time to research though!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I compare commercial flying to taking the bus. It really sucks nowadays to fly anywhere. The whole experience of something that used to be a semi enjoyable precursor to a vacation has now been pretty much ruined.

This guy makes it seem awesome, he makes everything seem awesome haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AeYIUyZXKE

PS: YouTube updated their comment's section. Even big companies like American Airlines are commenting now? :O (the top comment on the video)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
BioPhase and Snowbank

Awesome, thank you MJ! I was first going to say "Brazil!? Lucky them!" but instead I'll say great for them they earned it! Haha

Hmm, you forgot about the TSA? The scanners? :nonod: Seriously though that's a part I don't enjoy.

Later in life I bet I'd really feel the urge to settle down and a house like that might be something I want. If I were in a much better position I'd be more than happy to make it a reality sooner. Let us know if you make it happen! Even more backyard videos about business will do!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
becomes insignificant when you actually live in a different country for some non-vacation period of time.

This would be the ideal situation for me. 6 months to a 1 year outside the USA...and 2-3 months in each country I want to be in.

Doing that will most likely satisfy my travel urges and I can come back to the USA with many new ideas, experiences, contacts, etc.

sethnejame

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
When I am done raising my children I will be a nomad, until the day I die. I want to see every corner of the world. As much as I can. I have already scratched off many places on my bucket list. I categorize them by continent. I have been to North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa. I have also been to the Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi... As well as Kuwait and Iraq when I was in the military)

I still have Australia and Antarctica left of the 7 continents. All of these places I have been to before the age of 30. I plan to hit Australia in fall of 2014 and Antarctica, remains to be seen- you can only get there by cruise ship- but I have to lay my eyes on it, in person.

I love Europe. I love everything about it- the food, people, architecture, history, etc. I have been to a few different countries in Europe so far. London England being one of my favorite places in Europe- as well as one of my favorite places that I have ever traveled to period.

I want to see many more places. Travel and food are really the only things that get me excited, and the only things I don't mind paying lots of money for.

I wish I could win a free trip somewhere!

Other places I want to go: Italy, Russia, Sweden, Bora Bora, Thailand, Greece, Monte Carlo, Brazil, India, Iceland, Egypt, and Barcelona to name a few. I am very curious about all of the people (especially), places, and food.

This is also my dream, but outside of the United States, Hawaii and Germany, I haven't been anywhere else. . .and I'm about to be 28. That needs to change fast for me. Forgive me if I'm intruding with my question, but how did you finance your trip? And did you travel solo or with a significant other or buddy?

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Thanks.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Idk... traveling isn't something I'm too fond of.
Stresses me out.

By nature I'm more of a 'builder', not a wanderer.
Stay close to home, build an epic life with an epic home and epic stuff.
Customize everything I own, builds tools to build better tools.
I don't necessarily need to stay where I am, but once I find a place I want to dig down into, that's it for me.

I plan to make my life my work,
meaning once I find a suitable location to get my studio built... I won't have much interest in leaving, ever.

I'm not against vacationing here and there..
but right now my world view is focused around creating my own culture, not experiencing others.

But who knows what will shift my focus again.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I want to know more about the psychology of the urge to travel now.

Moving to a very different country is pretty much the ultimate pattern interrupt. If you want to get rid of old habits and ways of thinking, dumping yourself into a situation can give you a blank slate to build on, if you're prepared for that. Of course, if you aren't, you'll eventually reintegrate all of the things you were trying to change.

I haven't been anywhere else. . .and I'm about to be 28. That needs to change fast for me. Forgive me if I'm intruding with my question, but how did you finance your trip?

Either build a business that you can run from anywhere or get a job in a country that you'd like to travel to (and ideally one that's a cheap/convenient hub for other places that you'd like to visit). One thing that I think people miss about extended travel is that it doesn't have to be expensive. As long as you aren't treating it like a vacation, staying in resorts, etc. you can almost certainly live and travel in many different countries for less that it currently costs you to live your life in your home country. Of course, you need some money, but the idea of saving up the money for a trip and then having an epic, bank-account-emptying vacation just puts up an artificial barrier that keeps most people from doing it (and even for those that do, it ends up being self-destructive). It's a much better option, imo, to earn income as you go... inertia and all that.

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I wouldn't consider it corrected... I do fly first class a large percentage of the time. I have 2 platinum amexes and the United club card and frequent the lounges. I also have global entry. I have the trusted traveler pass and TSA precheck. Still sucks...

I want to fly jetsuite sometime in 2014 to see how I like it.

True, this is one reason I have the private jet as my avatar. This will always keep me motivated, and if I have not made enough money to afford private jet travel or private air travel, then my fastlane has not succeeded yet. I know many people on wall street who just use private jet travel to go anywhere they want. One person I know got luxury box tickets to the Super Bowl last year and flew down on a private jet to the game from NJ. Private air travel is definitely the way to go.

Having those other perks just makes it a little more enjoyable.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Two guys here that travel extensively are BioPhase and Snowbank. Antarctica, Iceland, Africa, whatever exotic locale is out there, they will hit it. According to their FB, they're in Brazil right now.

I'm in this camp. For some reason, I just can't get into it. (Actually, I loathe the actual travel time to the destination, airports, planes, crowds, etc.) Until I can reasonably afford to fly privately, I like to avoid travel unless it's 2 hours or less by commercial plane. My Fastlane focus is too make my home a vacation resort so vacationing is not necessary.

Yea, flying really sucks. But I look at it as the price you pay to see other places. Part of the fun or to some the fear of traveling is being put into different situations. This uncomfortableness I believe helps you grow. Just as in business, working out, etc... I believe you need to exercise the comfort muscle in your body and get out of your comfort zones.

Part of traveling is that you don't know what's missing because you don't miss it. It's just like not knowing what questions to ask because you don't know anything. So the only way to find out what's out there is to go looking for it.

Down here in Brazil hardly anyone speaks any English. It's been tough ordering food, especially with Snowbank who substitutes everything on the menu. They keep bringing us the wrong food. But next year we'll be talking about the time we ordered dessert and it turned out to be cheese with fruit and chocolate that tasted like shit. LOL

Luckily we have a friend showing us around (and translating). Driving the streets here is chaotic. The traffic in Rio is much worse than traffic I've seen in LA or Chicago.

Tomorrow we fly to Florianopolis and will be on our own when we get off the plane. We'll try to rent a car and make it to our hotel. It should be fun. :)

DreDay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 25, 2013
Next year I am doing a two week trip and going camping/canoeing/fishing in Yukon-Alaska area.

Also working on my private pilot license. Having an international license would be great! I like adventure travel the most, I love physical activities. Was in Cuba in August with family and found the resorts to be incredibly boring

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Two guys here that travel extensively are BioPhase and Snowbank. Antartica, Iceland, Africa, whatever exotic locale is out there, they will hit it. According to their FB, they're in Brazil right now.

This is exactly where I want to be. Traveling exotic locations. Exploring. Seeing things that not many people get to see. The world is a beautiful place. To me, it's worth the long, annoying plane ride. Just like it's worth it for me to bust my a$$ until I become a success. It's all worth it in the end.

BTW- I booked Iceland for the beginning of April. And hopefully will be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with Biophase and some other forum members, sometime next year!

World travel definitely motivates me!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This is exactly where I want to be. Traveling exotic locations. Exploring. Seeing things that not many people get to see. The world is a beautiful place. To me, it's worth the long, annoying plane ride. Just like it's worth it for me to bust my a$$ until I become a success. It's all worth it in the end.

BTW- I booked Iceland for the beginning of April. And hopefully will be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with Biophase and some other forum members, sometime next year!

World travel definitely motivates me!

Hey Sal,

When you hit it big (and you know you will), you can come join us at the beach.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
I actually really love flying. I've been on something like 20-25 flights this year and I still get excited. I enjoy the smell of jet fuel at the airport, the ritual inside. Feeling the power of the plane and watching the world go by. Long-distances can get pretty draining, but it's still a special part of getting anywhere exciting. Europe wouldn't be nearly as fun without the journey there.

I find new places exciting, even if there's nothing particularly special about them. New sights and smells are intriguing whether they're luxurious or not.

Definitely keen to do a lot more travel this year.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I actually really love flying. I've been on something like 20-25 flights this year and I still get excited. I enjoy the smell of jet fuel at the airport, the ritual inside. Feeling the power of the plane and watching the world go by. Long-distances can get pretty draining, but it's still a special part of getting anywhere exciting. Europe wouldn't be nearly as fun without the journey there.

Phew... I'm glad I'm not the only one. I never tire of going to the airport, flying anywhere, or any sort of travel.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Forgive me if I'm intruding with my question, but how did you finance your trip? And did you travel solo or with a significant other or buddy?

Sorry for late reply I just saw this. I have a friend from high school and we travel to all of these places together- we have known each other since we were 14 years old, and we have literally traveled the world together. She doesn't have children, and we don't hang out as much in Chicago together because we are on 2 different paths- but we plan all of these trips together each and every time. I can't imagine traveling with anyone else... We get into everything you can imagine! Something about being a foreign person in a foreign place.

We finance it by paying in pieces usually- and or trading and working out deals with friends we have in the hotel and airline industries. (Particularly United and Hyatt) We have stayed in Park Hyatts all over the world! That's some good lodging accommodations!

If it is important to you, you will find a way, if its not, you will find an excuse.

We don't club, or bar hop, its rare- so all the money we would be spending on that, we put toward travel.

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
I love travelling as well. And I combine that with my passion for sport events sometimes. So far I have been to London Olympics and have already got tickets for next year's World Cup in Brazil.

If it is important to you, you will find a way, if its not, you will find an excuse.

Agree. It's about realizing childhood dream for me. Dad had been promising us an Olympic trip every 4 years since Atlanta 1996 but never really did anything about it. Finally all of our siblings made it there together last year after 16 years of waiting, and it's a priceless experience we will not forget (unless we live long enough to be demented one day :D ).

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I do enjoy traveling as well, and hope to one day have a private pilot's license so I can do some traveling on my own throughout the USA. Then hope to have that in Europe as well. This is what motivates me to keep the fastlane in mind.

I have a friend who for the last 10 years we have done World Travel together. I think it is very important to see the world, as this will shape your views of everything and give you a much more global view of everything. I have stopped spending money on nearly everything besides world travel and the fastlane, as I think both go hand in hand.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
What do you think about this statement from B&D (bold and determined) blog?

"If I were 18 years old right now this is exactly what I would do: I would skip college, I would read the Fastlane Forum voraciously, I would save up two thousand dollars and I would move to either Chiang Mai, Thailand or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Those two places are filled to the brim with young, white foreign entrepreneurs who spend their time networking, building businesses and partying and they live on about $500 per month while doing it. I don’t even personally like those cities but it’s undeniable that they are the hub cities for young expat entrepreneurs. Go where the talent is."

Since I was very interested in history and the military when I was younger, Vietnam has a negative emotional attachment in my mind (seems unsafe, minefields, maybe the locals are not so friendly towards Americans, etc). Does anyone have any input on temporarily living in modern Vietnam as an American?

I'd most likely still prefer Thailand though to be honest. So any input on Thailand or similar places would be appreciated. For Thailand I'm curious about the different cities and finding out which ones would be the best fit for me. (since he mentioned he doesn't like the listed cities).

I'm 20 y/o so if that's something I really should do, the sooner I actually do it the better right?

PS: If you read this Victor, thank you for your work! Please keep writing :thumbsup:

D

DeletedUser394

Chiang Mai is cheap and filled with old white men with young thai wives/girlfriends/mistresses. Kind of disturbing to see, but if you can get over that it's not too bad.

They have really bad pollution from crop burning (or something like that) a few months every year around the same time, but I don't remember the exact months.

I've been seriously contemplating just dropping everything soon, taking my money and building something in a cheap foreign country.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Chiang Mai is cheap and filled with old white men with young thai wives/girlfriends/mistresses. Kind of disturbing to see, but if you can get over that it's not too bad.

I bet a lot of things there would be new and weird to me but I bet I could get used to it and ignore it.

They have really bad pollution from crop burning (or something like that) a few months every year around the same time, but I don't remember the exact months.

I'll look into this then, anyone have any info though?
I've been seriously contemplating just dropping everything soon, taking my money and building something in a cheap foreign country.

Haha, I know someone who plans on doing the same! Think about it man and if you do it, let us know how it goes.

If you haven't heard of Mindvalley look it up. From what I see online it is the kind of business I'd like to own. Their culture is awesome too...I bet it would be very hard to not feel happy owning a company like that...maybe even temporarily working for one like it or Mindvalley itself (apparently a lot of the employees go on to starting their own companies, I'd do the same of course).

Mind Valley Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ZFU4FoNvY

Edit - That video doesn't really show much of Mindvalley but there are others on YT that do.

Last edited:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
http://siamandbeyond.com/smoke-pollu...hern-thailand/

Not the ideal landscape I imagined lol.

I found this website that has a chart on the bottom.

http://www.discoverythailand.com/best_time_to_visit.asp

PS: A little off topic but my friend that is in the Marines that I mentioned, I told him about MJ's book and showed him it on my Kindle. He'll be getting it :groove:. He might be a member of the forum soon then :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.