The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if EVERYONE were legally required to carry a concealed weapons permit?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
[video=youtube;KNZO30lPGm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KNZO30lPGm4[/video]

I saw this video a couple of days back.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
No, what I mean is that if someone has a bad day or something they can do bad things with a gun they posses.
Like the guy who shot all those people at the cinema when the movie Batman was playing. Everyone said he was normal before he did this.

Maybe for someone who is mentally ill, like people with bipolar or skitzos. Or maybe even people with a record for being prone to violence because of anger issues.

You'd literally have to be suicidal to an serious degree if you knew that pulling out that gun to do something bad meant your imminent death.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Yeah, same as the Norway shooting on that isle. But what I mean is that they weren't born bad or evil, they suddenly changed.

I know you have good intentions, and you have every right to post here, although these comments of yours are bound to get you flamed by someone having a bad day....

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Haha, yea I don't mind getting flamed, I just had an opinion on it from the other side of the world. :)
I was at a shooting one time in Amsterdam at 3am, I was leaving the club and then 2 thugs were shooting each other. They both still live though, but one is in a wheelchair for ever.
No bystanders got hurt luckily.

A lot of the shootings in Amsterdam is really gang or mob related.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Haha, yea I don't mind getting flamed, I just had an opinion on it from the other side of the world. :)
I was at a shooting one time in Amsterdam at 3am, I was leaving the club and then 2 thugs were shooting each other. They both still live though, but one is in a wheelchair for ever.
No bystanders got hurt luckily.

A lot of the shootings in Amsterdam is really gang or mob related.

Let me just run something by you here. Say instead of a club you were having dinner with your wife and child. The guys that were shooting at each other suddenly decided to turn their guns on everyone else with your logic of "they had a bad day". Now they likely are carrying stolen guns so in your scenario they would have guns anyway because they did not obtain them in legal ways to be denied.

Would you rather have a gun on you and have had proper training with it to defend yourself and your family from being murdered, or would you rather no one in the place had any legal guns and be killed since guns are bad??

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Are you in danger?

No one in particular called me today to let me know they were scheduling a shooting at my office, so I am unsure as of 1:40PM EST...

Also, no one called me last time I was in a car accident to let me know that car was going to run into mine, it just sort of happened.

G

Guest3722A

My question on this thread is, of those who are anti-carry/guns who of you have actually shot a (hand) gun or understand them beyond what the media has told you?

Also, out of the citizens who have ccw's and have gone through the extensive training on gun law, proper use and accuracy of their firearm, as well as the requirement for a background check, and an interview before law enforcement officials, which when finally passed, leads to obtainment of their ccw's, for those who have passed everything, do the statistics show that illegal shootings have increased by those who possess them?

Last, people have walked into police stations, shooting. There's an actual video on this site somewhere showing this in Detroit. Also, if you notice a lot of stations have bullet proof glass.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In Texas CHL holders statistically break the fewest laws annually than any other demographic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I guess we should ban cars too. Some guy having a bad day could easily plow into a crowd of people.

And pencils in schools, those are pointy. I think they should write with a quill.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yes that is why it's not a good idea to make guns legal in the first place, if you use them to protect.
Anyone can just break in a home and steal a gun from someone who has to for protection.
So it would be better if there was not even an option to steal a gun from someone's home, cuz there wouldn't be any!

This way you prevent getting guns in the hands of bad people.

Also there is gun crime in the Netherlands, but mostly just gangsters shooting other gangsters.
But you don't notice that because those are planned liquidations.

Wow, so please explain to me this; Coca (the plant used to make cocaine) is not grown anywhere in the united states and yet historically it has run rampant through big cities. Making something illegal will not keep it out of the hands of the criminals, only the law abiding citizens.

:bgh:

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Let me just run something by you here. Say instead of a club you were having dinner with your wife and child. The guys that were shooting at each other suddenly decided to turn their guns on everyone else with your logic of "they had a bad day". Now they likely are carrying stolen guns so in your scenario they would have guns anyway because they did not obtain them in legal ways to be denied.

Would you rather have a gun on you and have had proper training with it to defend yourself and your family from being murdered, or would you rather no one in the place had any legal guns and be killed since guns are bad??

What I meant with a bad day is that people are not born bad or evil, they can suddenly change while having a license for a weapon.
Like the Aurora and Breivik shooting, people who knew them said that they were just normal people.
It also happend in the Netherlands that some kid who had a license started shooting in a mall and killed many people. He was also just a regular kid for the people who knew him.

I really wouldn't shoot back if I had a gun carrying with me if they did that, I am not the Rambo type who jumps on the table and starts to shoot back. I'd rather duck and start throwing ninja stars :D

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What did you envision when evaluating mental health?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
they can suddenly change while having a license for a weapon.

You have NO experience with a firearm. It is blatantly obvious. People do not change because they are in the presence of a firearm. Why would we let police have them if that is the case? Your rhetoric is ridiculous.

I really wouldn't shoot back if I had a gun carrying with me if they did that, I am not the Rambo type who jumps on the table and starts to shoot back. I'd rather duck and start throwing ninja stars

I guess you would rather cower in a corner while someone executes your family one by one. I guess you probably should throw away your home fire extinguisher too. It is to scary to put out fires.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Wow, so please explain to me this; Coca (the plant used to make cocaine) is not grown anywhere in the united states and yet historically it has run rampant through big cities. Making something illegal will not keep it out of the hands of the criminals, only the law abiding citizens.

:bgh:

Well coke can't shoot at you. I know people who use it and people who sell it, while it is still illegal in the Netherlands.
If you walk the streets at night time in Amsterdam you will see many people trying to sell it to you, but they do not bother me or threaten me.
But here in the Netherlands weed and prostitution is legal, so where theres money there is peopple who sell coke. Many wealthy people actually use coke here.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
You have NO experience with a firearm. It is blatantly obvious. People do not change because they are in the presence of a firearm. Why would we let police have them if that is the case? Your rhetoric is ridiculous.

I guess you would rather cower in a corner while someone executes your family one by one.

Haha, no my friend.
I didn't mean that people who have firearms change because of them. I'm saying that anyone can flip like you have seen in the past. Like going from a nice guy to a psycho after his girlfriend left him or something (just an example).

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
An armed society is a polite society.

So... if I say what I am thinking... which can be a lot of the time... I'll be shot...
/moving

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
hahahahahahahahah

bad people find ways to get guns.

period.

Z

Yep, but i'm talking about people who flip, just an avarage Joe who suddenly is in a state of depression.
Ofcourse mobsters and other people can always get guns, but a lot of the mass shootings are from regular people turned bad.

A mobster has no reason to go out to a mall and shoot at everyone, because the mafia is a business and that would ruin the business and their family.

But come on people, don't take it personally... I just gave my "opinion" on why not. You don't have to call me names or anything for an opinion. (I have never attacked any of you personally because we are just talking about a material possesion, guns)
Just chill down a notch people, it's a wonderful day :)

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
So if outlawing guns cuts violence. Why does the UK, per the Home Office website, have a significantly higher rate of violent crime per capita than the US, per the FBI website. Some people need to learn to think critically. Brazil has all but outlawed guns yet has a problem with SERIOUS gun crime. We aren't talking AR15s. We are talking full military hardware here. Muggings are common and frequently groups of armed men rob hostels. As someone said above, guns are tools. To me, it's up to each individual to seek out training. If untrained, I'm not even worried about them as they're unlikely to be able to perform an effective draw. Only the police and military should have them? Get real. Do you have any idea how poorly trained the average soldier or cop is where handguns are concerned? In the state of Washington, last I heard, law enforcement cadets receive about 40 hours if firearms training. 8 hours live fire on the range and 32 classroom hours. And that's one of the higher standards in the country. Now to compare and contrast, personally I have right about 120 hours live fire range training and 80 hours classroom. That doesn't even get into matches I competed in (used to compete weekly).

Someone above likened violent encounters to car accidents and that is a pretty accurate comparison. No one ever calls the police DURING a car accident. It's always after. Do you think someone is going to call the police during a violent encounter? Not likely. It'll be after. Lets also not forget that the police can't do anything before someone harms you. They have to wait until someone has already made the effort.

When you really crunch the numbers. The fact that there are so many millions of guns in civilian hands and we only have a couple thousand incidents a year. That's actually pretty remarkable.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Well coke can't shoot at you. I know people who use it and people who sell it, while it is still illegal in the Netherlands.
If you walk the streets at night time in Amsterdam you will see many people trying to sell it to you, but they do not bother me or threaten me.
But here in the Netherlands weed and prostitution is legal, so where theres money there is peopple who sell coke. Many wealthy people actually use coke here.

Seriously?

US Drug related Deaths: 39,147
US Gun Related Deaths: 31,672
US Traffic (Car) Related Deaths: 32,367

Well, this is awkward... See, drug deaths outnumber gun deaths in the US.

Um, so should we ban cars while were at it? Because the inanimate cars kill people, not the people driving them....

Right? Right guys?

:thumbsup:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a Canadian I'm personally not exposed to guns so I'm somewhat removed from this situation. Hell, our gun ownership rate in cities is something like 2% last I checked - I literally don't know a single person who owns one and have never seen a real one in person outside of law enforcement or cattle farms.

That being said, it is delusional to think "bad guys" won't get their hands on WHATEVER they want, when they want it. Laws don't stop illegal activity. Never has, never will. Drug laws don't stop people from buying drugs any more than guns laws stop people from buying guns.

All other things being equal I'd prefer more good guys owning guns than bad guys. And guns laws only stop the good guys from getting their hands on them.

If anything I'd argue for stricter penalties for improper gun handling and storage rather than gun ownership restrictions.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If anything I'd argue for stricter penalties for improper gun handling and storage rather than gun ownership restrictions.

X2 that is good stuff.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Seriously?

US Drug related Deaths: 39,147
US Gun Related Deaths: 31,672
US Traffic (Car) Related Deaths: 32,367

Well, this is awkward... See, drug deaths outnumber gun deaths in the US.

Um, so should we ban cars while were at it? Because the inanimate cars kill people, not the people driving them....

Right? Right guys?

:thumbsup:

It's not what about which out numbers what.
By the numbers of the Gun Related deaths in the US that you just showed 31,672, don't you think it would be way less if guns were illegal?
Because the only ones with guns then would be mobsters or small time criminals instead of the avarage Joe who turns psycho suddenly.

Have a good day guys :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's not what about which out numbers what.
By the numbers of the Gun Related deaths in the US that you just showed 31,672, don't you think it would be way less if guns were illegal?
Because the only ones with guns then would be mobsters or small time criminals instead of the avarage Joe who turns psycho suddenly.

Have a good day guys :)

Today, 03:21 PM
Xyros
New Driver
This message is hidden because Xyros is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Indeed, have a good day.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012

Indeed, have a good day.

Haha, come on people don't take it personal.
Like I said, it's just my "opinion".
So to put someone on your ignore list for a discussion about guns is just weird.
I'm not gonna ignore someone because he doesn't like Ferrari's.

I have never offended anyone on a personal level, I just gave my opninion on everyone owning guns on the street.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Carrying a gun means you have the power to kill other people with very little physical effort.

If you're a thug or just really really pissed off and you KNEW that 50-70% of people in your city carry concealed... that *anyone* could possess the power to kill you at the pull of a finger... you'd probably think a lot harder about what you're about to do unless you were prepared to die.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
What do you guys think about carrying in places like hospitals, airports, schools, and government buildings?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.