The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Sir Ingenious Collection

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Sir I....I've written a few business plans if you need any input, PM me.
I believe in business plans depending on the type of business. Plans are written for a purpose,ie: to get investor funding, to help the entrepreneur evaluate all areas of the industry and business. The plan is written differently according to it's purpose. Like I said..PM me if you need. There's a lot to it.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Sir...got it. Some people, and the current trend is NOT to write a business plan. I think this is ok depending on the industry. I can tell you from experience during the writing of your plan, you will discover things you never thought of...and it's a good thing. The SBA has a decent BP outline...I've used it. You don't of course have to use everything they outline, but I wouldn't leave too much out. It really forces you to think about important things.

If you're going to show investors, remember what they care about (what's in it for them !). How much and how fast will they get their investment money and interest back. I've included spread sheets for this but there are templates for such things. 'Start up Costs', '6 month Cash Flow Projection'..up to 5 yrs. etc. Lot's of info out there. Not too difficult...just time consuming.

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
Woah! Great progress. How did you validate the need for these sun glasses?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Good for you man. Quite a process it is. I look forward to seeing the pics. Did this manufacturer make your glasses from your design ?

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Woah! Great progress. How did you validate the need for these sun glasses?

Good for you man. Quite a process it is. I look forward to seeing the pics. Did this manufacturer make your glasses from your design ?

Forchunet - Thanks! Well, I essentially thought of a specific person in mind and fully designed a sunglasses for that person. And bam, there you go. What I'm doing is risky because the need isn't technically 'validated' yet... at least until I do the actual surveys soon in real life, to confirm things. However, my product should be easy to market or sell because I thought of a target market before making the product, not in reverse. While everyone else was selling generic sunglasses, I went the other way and decided to produce art with a story behind each and every shades I will hopefully market (and grow a collection).

Anyways, I haven't spent over $1k, just to keep the prices at a minimum until I'm sure of things.

My goal is to create art and something hopefully remarkable that it can't help but to spread from person to person. I hopefully didn't merely create a pair of sunglasses but what I'm selling is a story. And people will hopefully buy it. So, it's a lab that I'm running, not a factory. If I fail with this particular sunglasses, I'll just make better art. So, I'm not worried whatsoever and I'm really enjoying the process so far. :)

Bigguns50 - Thanks, man! Yes, the manufacturer did indeed make the sunglasses based on the design that I've sent them. However, there were a few revisions involved but that's it. So, all I did was compose an illustration in Photoshop; the company produced a CAD file and then with approval, made the samples.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
What ROI do you promise your investors?

Well, I haven't really promised anything yet in Kickstarter because I haven't gotten around to launching the page yet... or actually signed up. I want that to be my very last step when everything else is in place, kind of like preparing to cook.

But at the moment though, I've thought of several stuff that I can give to my investors like I'm thinking of a cool thank you postcard to the actual sunglasses with the cases, bag and cloth involved. Kinda like this: a) Postcard --> b) Cloth and Bag or Case --> c) Cloth, Bag and Case --> d) Sunglasses --> e) Sunglasses, Cloth, Bag and Case

Maybe I'll fit in a postcard for b, c, d, and e above. Maybe not.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Nice work so far.

Anyways, I haven't spent over $1k, just to keep the prices at a minimum until I'm sure of things.

So let me get this straight. You found some company on Alibaba to do the design/build mold/produce some samples for you for under $1,000. That's crazy. Am I missing something here.

Who's your Lens supplier? is it the same company that built the frames?

Seeing as you got some on hand, you should share some pics. Would love to see them.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Nice work so far.

So let me get this straight. You found some company on Alibaba to do the design/build mold/produce some samples for you for under $1,000. That's crazy. Am I missing something here.

Who's your Lens supplier? is it the same company that built the frames?

Seeing as you got some on hand, you should share some pics. Would love to see them.

Thanks, man. I did the designing of the sunglasses myself through Photoshop and then the company through Alibaba produced the samples and CAD. Altogether, with the 3 samples and the shipping, it was roughly $350 ($100 per sample and about $50 international shipping). I didn't need an account with the international shipment, as I just had them do all the work in regards in getting the product to my way. Outsourcing is an amazing technique!

And that I get everything from 1 company; I think I just got pretty lucky in Alibaba when I hit jackpot with the right supplier in a short amount of time and least effort (only sent 3 or 4 separate e-mails to different suppliers before landing this one).

I will deliver the pics, when those awesome photographs from powphotography.com gets done. And then I'll leave it up to y'all to evaluate them and see what's your opinions on them. Should be good. :)

sounds good so far Ill be following your progress

by the way if you ever need help with losing weight let me know. I do some freelancing work as a nutritional consultant. Helped my little brother lose 150lbs in less than a year and I've been lifting weights for years myself. let me know if your interested- I can help you setup an eating schedule for example (for free of course)

Woah! You helped your brother lose 150 pounds? Amazing! You're a really good brother.

And thanks a bunch for the generous offer, you're really awesome. We could do some little collaboration with my diet (I wouldn't mind a fresh perspective on it, especially from someone experienced like yourself). PM me anytime!

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
So, let's see...

Today, I agreed with my supplier that I'll pay roughly $310 next week for the samples of the case, bag and cloth for the sunglasses. And everything is proceeding as smoothly as possible.

I'm really considering on getting a VA, just so I can outsource some stuff to them: gathering bloggers and related journalists to connect with. And getting a VA is definitely affordable (as low as $100 per month). Should be interesting to look into.

At last but not least, I've ordered a book from Amazon, which arrived in the mail today. It's called "Give and Take" by Adam Grant. I felt that I needed to shift my mindset into a pure 'giver' and fully understand how they think and operate. I have a feeling that this skill set will serve me well during this lifetime. For example: the art of negotiation, the art of connecting, the art of selling, and etc are mastered by a good giver. In today's age, a good giver matters much more than ever before.

Anyways, there's nothing much to report today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Thanks, man. I did the designing of the sunglasses myself through Photoshop and then the company through Alibaba produced the samples and CAD. Altogether, with the 3 samples and the shipping, it was roughly $350 ($100 per sample and about $50 international shipping). I didn't need an account with the international shipment, as I just had them do all the work in regards in getting the product to my way. Outsourcing is an amazing technique!

And that I get everything from 1 company; I think I just got pretty lucky in Alibaba when I hit jackpot with the right supplier in a short amount of time and least effort (only sent 3 or 4 separate e-mails to different suppliers before landing this one).

I will deliver the pics, when those awesome photographs from powphotography.com gets done. And then I'll leave it up to y'all to evaluate them and see what's your opinions on them. Should be good.

sounds good.

Crazy how they only charged you 350 bux. I mean all you sent them was a drawing. Can't believe they made a CAD model(tons of work) then fabricated a personal mold(tons of expensive work) then did a small production run for you, then shipped everything over seas.

Who's the manufacturer?

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Are the lenses different colors when you look through them? Or is it only cosmetic? Those would look horrible on me.....I'm trying to think of who'd they'd look good on.

Nice work on differentiating yourself though.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Wow....nice. I'm curious about the lens colors also. I've never seen two different lens colors. It's so crazy...that may be great for your branding.

These words came to mind when I looked at your pics...hip, fashionable, upscale, female...and brand.

I think they're a product that has a market for sure.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Are the lenses different colors when you look through them? Or is it only cosmetic? Those would look horrible on me.....I'm trying to think of who'd they'd look good on.

Nice work on differentiating yourself though.

Thanks for the comment, man!

Yeah, I realize that I'm taking a huge risk in having two different lens colors but that's what it's about - risk taking but being an artist. Here's how I think about it: either you can scale it back to "more of the same" among other products/services/businesses/etc, or be different, riskier and honest.

And it's completely cosmetic - to enhance the experience of users. :)

Good job on starting the ball rolling. When I first read your thread I was thinking man this guy is doing a lot of activity and not much action. But it looks like you're headed in the right direction.

My advice for kickstarter read this: hacking kickstarter

Also I do have a question, did you do all the work on the drawing yourself or did you use someone else? If you did it yourself and are interested in a very small freelance project I have something in mind for you. PM me.

Thanks, man. I'm definitely taking action, doing bit by bit at a time. Altogether, they add up.

And yes, I had a look at the link and it's awesome; I have that link saved in my bookmark at the moment as well. Thanks.

I did the drawing (or the design, either way) all by myself in Illustrator/Photoshop and then sent the designs to China to create a CAD drawing and mold based off my drawing. Also, I'll be glad to hit you up via PM.

At last but not least, I'll say this out here but if anyone wants some design work done at some point, feel free to PM me. And consider my services as a volunteer work for fastlaners too, no charge. It's just me giving my support to aspiring entrepreneurs in any way I can.

Wow....nice. I'm curious about the lens colors also. I've never seen two different lens colors. It's so crazy...that may be great for your branding.

These words came to mind when I looked at your pics...hip, fashionable, upscale, female...and brand.

I think they're a product that has a market for sure.

Thank you, man.

I wanted to create a story which is essential for branding. When you create a target market and then a story, marketing becomes a 1,000 x easier. That's the secret to marketing: making a compelling story AFTER you find your target market. Facebook, Twitter, SEO, etc are just maximizers.

If I ever get a chance to design another sunglasses, it will be even crazier.

And at last but not least: does anyone think I should copyright these asap? I'm thinking of doing so sometimes next week; it doesn't cost much either. How soon do you fellow fastlaners copyright your stuff right after invention? Like asap or what?

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Actually diggin' the shades. I am a huge shades fiend, so my brain is on the brink of saying "shut up and take my money"

Also, really diggin' the logo and the font used on the logo and your product mock-ups/samples. Keep using that, it's fresh and almost sort of retro. Good looks.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
do you have other styles? or just the one frame?

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Amazing.

I read your story a few days ago and I'm happy to see you're still on the ball.
The first thing that came to my mind by looking at your poster were the "old Coca Cola posters". So I think you've done a great job so far!

Keep it up!

Thanks!

I looked at tons of old vintage magazine ads from the 70's and 80's to get an inspiration of retro. I love everything vintage, especially from those times. There's something fascinating in terms of fashion and style in that era, so I went with it. What do you think about the old vintage look? Cool?

Oh here's some links too:

1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchappo2002/sets/72157603981005257/
2) http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=1980's ads
3) http://mirror80.com/2011/11/a-1980s-graphic-design-revival/

Just to give you an idea of where I gather my inspirations.

And as for today, there's nothing much to report but hopefully, progress will be made tomorrow. I'm getting ready to make some moves if things go according to plan as I expect. Like, I plan to order up some samples of sunglasses case, cloth and bag from my supplier and then hopefully, my sunglasses arrives from the photography studio in the next few days.

When my sunglasses arrive, I plan to take it and go survey all over the mall (and rack up some e-mails for a list) just to get myself 'out there' and such. Anyone has any suggestions or ideas as far as getting yourself out there? Or anything else in general? Anyways, stay tuned for tomorrow when I make some moves.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the compliment, man. Much appreciated.

What sort of shades do you wear?

And yes, I was aiming towards retro. It's nice to see that you have gotten the story!

Hey, this shade is the only shade that will be launching; I figure that I ought to start out with baby steps but I do plan on releasing some more shades in the future whether or not this one gets off the ground.

One question for you: what sort of shades would you like to see in the collection? Feel free to collaborate!

And at last but not least, I tweaked up the poster in Photoshop for a bit, what do you guys think?

View attachment 5469

I wear the wayfarer styles alot, my favorite style, recently got back into aviator shades as I got back into shape. Keep up the good work my man, diggin' the poster too!

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
DAMN. Great shades, great design and branding throughout. There's definitely a retro resurgence going on right now so I think you may find people really like the whole aesthetic right off the bat.

One question re: the slogan. "Launching Music Through Our Lenses"... do you plan on launching a record label associated with the brand? Because if not, that slogan could be confusing. It's also not very sexy- sounds a little too much like a nonprofit or something more formal and not enough like a stylish sunglasses brand. "Music To Your Eyes" was better, if you ask me.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Also, as far as more styles in the future, I see that old school Macho Man Randy Savage style of shades blowing up, Neff did a style i guess for MTV Riff Raff (he wears that style alot), and of course a wayfarer style in like a bamboo-like material, I think folks will dig that, I notice folks like the usual style, but they love it when a usual style is made differently, hence a bamboo-material wayfarer, or even the style you already have and just messing around with different colorways and different materials.

Fyi - of course you don't have to use real bamboo for cost reasons, but you can definitely roll with a feaux-bamboo style that's just as durable

anyway just my two cents, really looking forward to seeing this progress my dude!

Hey man, thanks for the ideas! :)

Definitely up for any challenges, I love them. And I actually had an idea for a bamboo inspired sunglasses, as a reggae themed one... or a hippie themed one. And I actually am thinking of it right now, haha.

What do you think about a drug-themed sunglasses? Weird and trippy but that's the idea. It's called 'Lysergic Acid Diethylamide' or LSD for short. Different colored lens and decos, crazy looking, bamboo made frames. "Goin' for a Trip!" "Vizualize things in a perspective." or something that tells a story of trippin' when you wear LSD.

DAMN. Great shades, great design and branding throughout. There's definitely a retro resurgence going on right now so I think you may find people really like the whole aesthetic right off the bat.

One question re: the slogan. "Launching Music Through Our Lenses"... do you plan on launching a record label associated with the brand? Because if not, that slogan could be confusing. It's also not very sexy- sounds a little too much like a nonprofit or something more formal and not enough like a stylish sunglasses brand. "Music To Your Eyes" was better, if you ask me.

Thanks. I actually changed back the slogan as you suggested and I agree.

You'll see below in another pic that I'm posting.

So, today I paid the $308 to my supplier in China to have the case, cloth and bag samples made. Things are progressing along quite well. And I'm reading more books but this one is a Bernie Mac bio. Awesome read about his life in which you can buy here from Amazon.

And here's a question for you guys: out of curiosity, does anybody have any songs to be recommended?

Because I will actually make the next sunglasses design BASED off your music suggestions when I listen to 'em and post the drawings here based on the lyrics, the feel of the songs and whatnot. And then if y'all like them, I will ship that design to China to have a sample made off that. It is for the next collection. And then I plan to expand the collection in that fashion, a collaboration with you guys.

For example, I listened to 'Flashlight' by Parliament and that's how I came up with this one. However, that's a start.

Another idea I have is '1999' by Prince and I thought about making a sunglasses called '1987' to honor that year in which a lot of us millennials were born in. The story behind '1987' is to be the sunglasses of the future, a retro-futuristic sunglasses. That's just another idea that sprung into my head one day. I have so many more. Another idea is a design based off of 'Sexual Healing' by Marvin Gaye and I'll call it 'Showtime'.

Anyways, the next is up to you guys. So, throw up some songs in my way and see if I can make some designs out of those!

Oh and here's the latest ad:

flashlightad.jpg

What do you folks think? I'm open!

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think the font and color of "the Flashlight" go well with the product. It looks more like a horror movie title. Also, its hard to tell that's an "F". Just my opinion.

Gotcha. Thanks, man!

I'll tweak it around so that way it emits that story that I want to tell. With that, I'm still wrestling with the ad design but basically the storytelling part of it.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
Because I will actually make the next sunglasses design BASED off your music suggestions when I listen to 'em and post the drawings here based on the lyrics, the feel of the songs and whatnot. And then if y'all like them, I will ship that design to China to have a sample made off that. It is for the next collection. And then I plan to expand the collection in that fashion, a collaboration with you guys.

I run a record label. Let's talk ;)

deevan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 22, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
D

DeletedUser12

Love the glasses -- totally agree about needing a 3/4 view on Ad. The Flashlight feels like a weird name for me though, but probably won't make a difference what you call them. The retro feel makes me think of something like old those old color Lantern lenses used to signal trains or something.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I love the glasses and the motion you're getting going. I had an idea strike me as I was reading through the posts.

Why not sell the glasses......and additional lenses of varying colors so people can make it their own. Plus with you selling the lenses separately there should be (my guess) a greater profit margin for you.

I understand it may be difficult depending on your manufacturer and the design of the glasses but just an idea. After all you are going for retro and the thing that made the iMac so popular was the ability to chose your own color.

Btw I'll reply to your PM shortly thanks for sending it my way!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm almost afraid to suggest this...as it may be an asinine idea..but I picked up on 'music', 'sunglasses', 'design'. I can see parts of lyrics printed on the sides of sunglasses, or crazier...on the lenses !

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
"Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top

"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood

I'm going to write those down, hah. Thanks! :)

I love your logo. You make it?

Thank you very much, man! However, I wish that I could take 100% credit for it but I tracked down the artist with this font that I loved, e-mailed him and all and paid him some cash to use it for the logo. I got designer's eyes though, so I was able to know how to assemble a logo together, whether or not if I have to do it myself or outsource it. However, I'm going to re-contact him and provide him with updates because I changed my business name to 'Sir Ingenious'.

I have this business idea from this book I'm reading ('Contagious' by Jonas Berger, about getting your stuff to go viral) and what if I made my company closed and by invite only (or on some levels, aka you pay more for the same items if you were an outsider than as an INSIDERS)? The business can be ran like a club on some levels. As an INSIDERS, you get opportunities to create sunglasses through mass collaboration, win stuff, and primarily gain social status.

Playing with some ideas in my head.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Too sweet !

Where will this poster be displayed ? I'm assuming where the sunglasses are on display ?

Hey, thanks man! But this isn't the finalized poster.

I have one but I'll probably post it sometimes tomorrow. And I primarily made this poster as a process to solidify a story in my head behind these glasses and to use 'em whenever I feel like: on display anywhere, etc.

Awesome thread. Thank you for your insight. First time I read this thread - one song and only one song popped into my head:"Race Car Driver" by Primus. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you, sir. :)

I'll give that song a listen, most definitely! And I'll keep you posted for sure.

Maybe I am just not getting something, but it doesn't really make much sense to me. The name is Flashlight but it is music to your eyes? The line about the most remarkable thing about the lenses is my ability to hear them doesn't make any sense to me. I may just be missing something, because everyone else in the thread seems to get it, but I am just being honest with you.

How does a flashlight relate to music and eyes? If you are going with the music to your eyes theme, it would seem to me like the name should be StereoVision or something that hints at music.

If I am missing something, please let me know. I am honestly not trying to be a jerk.

Nope, you aren't being a jerk at all. This is what this thread is for: feedback and honesty and for insight.

In fact, I'm thanking you.

Anyways, you called me out on some of the issues in which I've spent the evening addressing. I'll load it up sometimes tomorrow for you to see, so stay tuned. Well, I plan to tell a story through my products and build the brand. And to aim to a specific group of people and developing a fanbase outta them. That's why I do things the way I do. It's like this: why there is a computer named after a fruit? Branding. Same thing here, basically.

"See...and be seen" comes to mind.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, man.

Anyways, I spent the evening playing around with the poster and tweaked up the name and all. I'll upload it tomorrow for you guys to see. Also, I paid a visit to the copyright website to have my name and such registered, so that's processing.

I have a more solid business plan than ever now, thanks to this book I'm reading. It's called "Contagious" written by Jonas Berger. Every single one of you need to read the book, it's about how to make your company, article or whichever viral.

Anyways, good night!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.