The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millionaire By 25 Documentary

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Just joined the forum after months of procrastination.

Your documentary idea is awesome. I'm doing something very similar but more of a complement to your project. Good to see like minded people pursuing the same dreams. I'm from the Toronto area. Let me know if you ever want some advice or support. I finished a documentary last year called the Striking Truth. You can see the trailer on youtube. It's a documentary on Georges St Pierre and it took 4 years. (I wrote the story and did the business plan. My friend did 99% of the work on it so I'm not taking all the credit here haha)

My current project will be about 95% done by me so it's a real challenge.

With your web page, I agree with a previous poster on putting up a better call to action. Perhaps use optimize press and create a better squeeze page. You want fans and also emails if you can. Build a list over time.

That's my 2 cents. Keep pushing forward!

Can you put me in touch with your guy who did the doc? I'm looking for a production company to start helming the documentary. It started with my iPhone, then to a friends camera then to a DSLR and soon I want to go professional. The production value is a character in the film as well because the more money I earn, the better the production value gets. It becomes wealthier with me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Hey Corey,

I know you were looking for songs and I thought of a song you could use in the documentary...

Trouble Andrew "Take it 2 The Top" - YouTube

Reason why this would work for you:
1. You seem to like hip hop since you originally suggested a YONAS song.
2. It's a song about being told you can't do it but making it anyways.
3. He's a former CANADIAN Olympic snowboarder who went into music.
4. His real name is Trevor Andrews, which makes him 2x cooler than normal.
5. It's a popular song, but not too popular, which is what you requested.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Wouldn't he have potential trouble from the artist who wrote as well as the artist who sang that song?

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Well yes, but I'm assuming that he's going to get it licensed since he wants songs that aren't too popular but that fit the theme of his documentary.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I made a dream book (same as a vision board but it's a full book of pictures of things you want to be, do or have).

It includes: people i want to meet, things i want to attain and things i want to accomplish. Also, places I want to travel.

This would be a great idea for a Social Networking site. Kinda like Pinterest style. People can post pics of their dream house, car, vacations, things they want to accomplish, people they want to meet, etc.....

I've been following you on the forum and on Facebook. Just watched the Vid. I'm glad you dropped that MLM. It might have been a good to go through with it so you can learn your lesson on why everyone hates on it, but it would have wasted precious time for you to meet your goal. And you should definitely listen to people that tell you to focus your energy on one thing at a time. Doing too many things at once will do more harm then good, at least until you get one going where it can run itself.

Good Luck!

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Thank you. Funny you say that, that's been an idea of mine for a while but I had to put it on the backburner because of the aforementioned advice to stick to one or two things.

This would be a great idea for a Social Networking site. Kinda like Pinterest style. People can post pics of their dream house, car, vacations, things they want to accomplish, people they want to meet, etc.....

I've been following you on the forum and on Facebook. Just watched the Vid. I'm glad you dropped that MLM. It might have been a good to go through with it so you can learn your lesson on why everyone hates on it, but it would have wasted precious time for you to meet your goal. And you should definitely listen to people that tell you to focus your energy on one thing at a time. Doing too many things at once will do more harm then good, at least until you get one going where it can run itself.

Good Luck!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
There are some people that make goals and keep them to themselves.
Then there are people who step it up a notch and tell their friends and family.
Then there are people who blow that out of the water and make a documentary about it. Well, there is at least one anyways.

You are one guy that is not scared of commitment. I hope you make it.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I haven't read this whole thread so I'm not aware of all updates, but what I don't understand is why you do a documentary instead of just building a business? Are you planning on becoming a guru? To be honest this seems like the definition of action-faking to me.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
I haven't read this whole thread so I'm not aware of all updates, but what I don't understand is why you do a documentary instead of just building a business? Are you planning on becoming a guru? To be honest this seems like the definition of action-faking to me.

Hey theag, this video should explain your inquiry:

What is Millionaire By 25? - YouTube

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On your original thread start, my comments are in RED.

GOALS FOR APRIL 2012

1. Millionaire by 25: Reach 2,000 fans on fanpage [Action-fake: Creates no value! Get a product/service first, then go for fans as a part of the sales process.]
2. Millionaire by 25 official logo created [Is the logo critical to making $$?]
2. Old Sentiments: Reach 1,000 fans on fanpage [HOW and why? Is there a product? Or is your documentary the product?]
3. Earn 10,000 dollars [HOW? With a logo? What product? What service? What need?]
4. Read 4 Books [Obviously, TMF was not one of those books as most of everything I read are Fastlane violations.]
5. Have Prototype Created for Fashion Accessory Line [Hmmm... here might be something]
6. Have Logo done for Fashion Accessory Line [Another action-fake: What is it with the FN logos? Let me guess... you got business cards too?]
7. Build Strong Foundation For Organo Gold to ensure Ruby position in the month of May. [MLM? This is your best idea for making a million?? Really? Putting your financial plan in the hands of someone else?]
8. Get an investment real estate property and establish partner for real estate investing company.[How? With the $10K you made from the MLM/job/ or other unknown source? Investment properties generally cashflow 8-12% per year ... is this your plan to make $$ fast?

Obviously, you haven't read TMF -- if you did, much of these "action-fakes" wouldn't even be a consideration in your plan, if this is indeed, the plan.

Hey theag, this video should explain your inquiry:

I've watched the video and I can't quite get it.

It is impressive that you want to do this but the video is missing the most important part: The plan on how exactly you want to do this other than building fan pages, logos, MLM, and free PR via the documentary.

Wishing and dreaming is nice. Wanting to help your parents is kind-hearted.

However all this aside, what exactly is your strategy to make a million?

Right now I see a lot of talk, action-fakes [busywork that creates little value (money)] and "fake it to you make it" type stuff.

As of now, it appears to me your strategy is simply circular: To get famous via the documentary, in effect, producing no real value. While this is a possible outcome, it is emblematic of the envelope stuffing scheme because it isn't repeatable to the common man. (Example: A made a million by documenting how I made a million!)

If you truly intend to make a million dollars, you should be starting a business with a product/service that solves a problem or fills an unmet demand. I don't see that here as it kinda seems like one of those millionaire home page novelties whereas your goal is just to create a lot of free PR and attention, hence opening up doors.

IMO, you're focus seems to be "the million" which is the wrong focus -- (CHASING MONEY usually indicates A TAKER DISPOSITION) ... incidentally, of all your posts on this forum are centered on this thread: NONE of them are outside of this thread. In other words, you are using this forum for your own ends (TAKING) instead of sharing and providing value (CONTRIBUTOR) -- such is the fundamental asset and mindset of creating Fastlane wealth, something you want, but don't seem to understand.

How much of the million have you made in the first 7 months?

And, by what means? The transfer of money indicates demand for a product or service.

I apologize for the "tough love" (or even coming across as a hater) but I'm really starting to hate these "Zero to millions in X years posts" as they never, ever, seem to have a real defined plan therein, just a lot of wishful thinking and action fakes. (Creating logos, reading books, etc. etc.)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think MJ is right on this one.

You don't have much going for you right now except a little bit of media attention and good looks. I haven't seen any sort of business model or anything. You're selling a dream to finance your own dream.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That's one way to do it.....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think process is being neglected here. To inflict 1 million dollars worth of demandable value on society takes years of process beforehand.

Scaling a fastlane business is a PROCESS. You get 1 customer then 5 then 10 then 1000 then 100,000. It seams very unrealistic to me to just randomly wake up one morning and make $2,740 a DAY AFTER TAXES.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
There are too many questions for me to answer from your advice/critiques. I'll try and summarize my how to, and clear up any misconceptions.

making a million by documenting earning a million this is not at all my intention. I want this documentary to do film festival rounds, but i want the majority of the profits to go to charity(ies).

chasing money is the wrong way to go about it This may be so in most cases, and I understand why you would say that, but there are some extreme cases where there's no other option. I chose to film this entire process, not for self promotion, but instead to inspire and show a way to succeed in tough times. How to acquire new skills quickly, whether or not it has to do with money making. Think 'Think and Grow Rich' mixed with Tim Ferriss' new book that's coming out on acquiring new skills or accomplishing things in a fraction of the time. The market is there, look at the one minute millionaire book series. They're new york time best sellers. As an entrepreneur, sure it looks silly to focus on the money, but no matter what, there will always be times where people - average people, need that emergency accomplishment in a short amount of time and have to focus on the money.

It's also going to highlight the new rich and solopreneurs and all of that. Average people who work jobs are going to watch this and go huh, so there is another way. Jobless people are going to watch this and go huh, there's another way. I think more people write about how to be successful without being successful. I think watching someone accomplish it before their eyes is admirable and inspiring.

What exactly is your strategy? Going into this, I didn't have a strategy. That's the point. I'm an everyday guy who starts plunging himself full force into a world he doesn't understand. Look at the morgan spurlock's, that's why he's successful. He's you, and he delves into worlds that are unknown to him, and people love it because you learn as he learns. It starts off by me reaching out to millionaires and asking for advice. the first one said to do mlm, so i did it. why you're insulting me for that is beyond me. It developed from there. I was advised to read the one minute millionaire, I did and the protagonist juggles 4 things to earn a million in 3 months to rescue her kid. One of them is real estate, which is why I said that. A guy who I met made 500k in 2 years from appreciation of foreclosures in Arizona, so 8-12% doesn't always seem to be the rule if you're a smart investor.

Now, the main focus are two things: Developing mobile apps and the fashion accessory line. That's the ticket. The website is launching so I can use it as leverage to get more mentorship from better entrepreneurs because they'll take me seriously with the validation from the website and social media.

On your original thread start, my comments are in RED.

Obviously, you haven't read TMF -- if you did, much of these "action-fakes" wouldn't even be a consideration in your plan, if this is indeed, the plan.

I've watched the video and I can't quite get it.

It is impressive that you want to do this but the video is missing the most important part: The plan on how exactly you want to do this other than building fan pages, logos, MLM, and free PR via the documentary.

Wishing and dreaming is nice. Wanting to help your parents is kind-hearted.

However all this aside, what exactly is your strategy to make a million?

Right now I see a lot of talk, action-fakes [busywork that creates little value (money)] and "fake it to you make it" type stuff.

As of now, it appears to me your strategy is simply circular: To get famous via the documentary, in effect, producing no real value. While this is a possible outcome, it is emblematic of the envelope stuffing scheme because it isn't repeatable to the common man. (Example: A made a million by documenting how I made a million!)

If you truly intend to make a million dollars, you should be starting a business with a product/service that solves a problem or fills an unmet demand. I don't see that here as it kinda seems like one of those millionaire home page novelties whereas your goal is just to create a lot of free PR and attention, hence opening up doors.

IMO, you're focus seems to be "the million" which is the wrong focus -- (CHASING MONEY usually indicates A TAKER DISPOSITION) ... incidentally, of all your posts on this forum are centered on this thread: NONE of them are outside of this thread. In other words, you are using this forum for your own ends (TAKING) instead of sharing and providing value (CONTRIBUTOR) -- such is the fundamental asset and mindset of creating Fastlane wealth, something you want, but don't seem to understand.

And, by what means? The transfer of money indicates demand for a product or service.

I apologize for the "tough love" (or even coming across as a hater) but I'm really starting to hate these "Zero to millions in X years posts" as they never, ever, seem to have a real defined plan therein, just a lot of wishful thinking and action fakes. (Creating logos, reading books, etc. etc.)

I'm taking and not contributing This is 100% true. How can I contribute when I'm learning. I don't think anybody should take my advice on anything at this point, because frankly, I am learning as I go and there's no long term ensurement of success from advice I would give. When this project is nearing completion and I have a better grasp on it all, then I will absolutely contribute and give back for all of the advice and 'taking' i've been doing thus far.

To The-J, socaldude and MJ DeMarco, it's difficult for me not to be defensive in the way you approached the subject matter. I think we all are unique individuals for being a member and participating in this forum and I appreciate all the help I've received so far. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I was in my fourth month in at the time of writing those goals and I was working 18 hours days to the best of my ability in order to reach my goal.

Last but not least, I'm certain I've posted why I'm doing each of these projects to earn the million previously throughout this thread, but I'll post again for those who are confused:

1. MLM - Organo Gold - As mentioned above, it was the first suggestion from millionaires and being that I was brand new to the world of entrepreneurialism, it would be silly for me to act like I know what to do and not to do, so with that, I took the advice of a millionaire I have respect for.

2. Old Sentiments - I watched the founders of Brotips and DearPhotograph's websites take off and earn them a considerable amount of money with very low investment startup. Brotips got a 10 mill investment from mark cuban and dear photograph got a book deal, both of those were within a year of startup. I was friends with the brotips founders before they started it and I met the dear photograph guy. both from my hometown where I live. It was/is an attractive project for those reasons. The goal was to gain traction and switch to a user based model and aim to be bought out by a company like "ancestry.com".

3. Real Estate - After watching my old boss and a colleague make a lot of money in real estate over a short period of time and reading the book 'the one minute millionaire and cash in a flash', real estate looked like one hell of an opportunity.

4. Fashion Line - I was told to find someone with an idea and a following, leverage it, become a partner and add value and launch a product. I reached out to the founder of the successful disneybound blog and we've been creating the fashion accessory line since.

5. Mobile App Development - After spreading myself thin from working on too many things at the same time, I was advised by another millionaire to get out of the city, re-evaluate things and choose one or two things to focus on. I read an article about chad mureta who earned 3 million in 2 years from app development and decided it was a good avenue, dropped the others except for the fashion line. so now it's a focus on two things.

**** The reason why I don't explain how I plan to do it in the video is simply because I can't share too much information during filming to the masses. I was advised by a successful film director in Canada to not share much information publicly because it will hurt the chances of the film being picked up for distribution when it's done. It won't be as attractive. I can share certain things in forums, but I can't disclose everything.

Hopefully that clears things up.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
I don't believe that anyone expects to wake up and earn nearly 3,000 dollars a day after taxes from scratch. The goal was to build up to a large number, whether it was being acquired by a large corporation, or launching a hugely successful app in the last year of the challenge. It 's not going to be money making from day one, and I don't think anyone would expect that.

I think process is being neglected here. To inflict 1 million dollars worth of demandable value on society takes years of process beforehand.

Scaling a fastlane business is a PROCESS. You get 1 customer then 5 then 10 then 1000 then 100,000. It seams very unrealistic to me to just randomly wake up one morning and make $2,740 a DAY AFTER TAXES.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
I also don't want to be overly defensive over the comments, because if you three are feeling that way, then I'm sure you're not the only ones. So based on what you've read in my response, I'd appreciate if you three and any other viewers would advise me how I can communicate my message better to the general public and how I can refine my approach to achieving my goal - in a non-threatening, helpful response.

Thank you in advance.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
I believe everything I'm doing, and everything I will do to earn the million dollars in this documentary will be completely replecateable (sp?). My only advantage will be possibly being able to reach out to more successful entrepreneurs with the validation of the documentary and possible benefit for them to promote themselves. But the viewer will be getting the same advice that I will. I post all the interviews stand alone as rough cuts so people get the full look.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I didn't mean to come across as a hater.

Mobile apps are an excellent avenue to wealth. Instagram was bought out for 1 billion after 2 years! And I hope you see some level of success similar to that.

But some of the guys here are trying to shed light on a few issues such a plan describing the process to deliver the 2 million in value.

good luck

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I also don't want to be overly defensive over the comments, because if you three are feeling that way, then I'm sure you're not the only ones. So based on what you've read in my response, I'd appreciate if you three and any other viewers would advise me how I can communicate my message better to the general public and how I can refine my approach to achieving my goal - in a non-threatening, helpful response.

Thank you in advance.

I like your whole I idea here, I think most peeps are wondering at this point,

Are you going to become a millionaire in the next 18 months? Besides the doc, do you have anything going that is making you money?

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I want this documentary to do film festival rounds

this sounds like your main goal. much more than making $1m in 2 years. you want to be well known. there's nothing wrong with that. i can tell you right now there's substantially easier ways to do this. if your main goal was really what you say it is, to make $1m in 2 years, spending so much time on the documentary and gearing what you share around what film directors are telling you is insane.

without focus, you WILL fail. right now you're on a track to failure, if you're being honest about your goal. you are all over the place. you can't decide if you want to be a documentary maker, someone who knows how to make money, or someone who learns how to make money. these are extremely different things. you're trying to be the star of the documentary, with a goal that you have no plan of hitting it sounds like, while also attempting to have it be another version of think and grow rich. you can't try to do all 3 and do extremely well at 1 of them.

How to acquire new skills quickly, whether or not it has to do with money making. Think 'Think and Grow Rich' mixed with Tim Ferriss' new book that's coming out on acquiring new skills or accomplishing things in a fraction of the time. The market is there, look at the one minute millionaire book series. They're new york time best sellers.

Think and Grow Rich was great because it dominated what it's main goal was.

Tim's new book will dominate what it's goal is.

Those are market leaders in what they were attempting to do.

How a 25 year old kid who wants to be well known fails to make $1m while attempting to teach lessons like Think and Grow Rich did is substantially different - it is the market leader in nothing.

You're so focused on film festivals and NYT bestsellers that you're not even stopping to realize that you're not doing the best things to try and reach your goal- which is the main reason people would be interested.

If "Millionaire by 25" turns into "25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" it's not accomplishing any of your 3 goals.

You won't have made money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have learned to make money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have great interviews or compilations of amazing information like Tim Ferriss or Think and Grow Rich because you don't know the best questions to ask.

"25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" is not going to achieve your goal of getting well known.(don't kid yourself that getting well known isn't one of your main goals. you've spent more time on websites to promote the film, fb page to promote the film, logos and all that other stuff that is irrelevant to making money than anything else.)

It's also going to highlight the new rich and solopreneurs and all of that. Average people who work jobs are going to watch this and go huh, so there is another way. Jobless people are going to watch this and go huh, there's another way. I think more people write about how to be successful without being successful. I think watching someone accomplish it before their eyes is admirable and inspiring.

You're so caught up in trying to make this documentary about 72 different things that it's not going to do any of them well. I've said that before but it's worth mentioning again. You're all over the place.

Jobless people are not going to be excited about this if you don't make a LOT of money. Watching someone fail, and then trying to spin it off as, "I failed but I learned a lot" is played out in my mind. Especially if you're not going to get anywhere close, and sprinkle in interviews of other people too.

I'm not a film producer, but it sounds like individually some of these would have potential. Mixed together- a mess

Now, the main focus are two things: Developing mobile apps and the fashion accessory line. That's the ticket. The website is launching so I can use it as leverage to get more mentorship from better entrepreneurs because they'll take me seriously with the validation from the website and social media.

If you truly want to be taken seriously, listen to people who know what they're talking about, and execute on what they say.

If you're just going to assume people are hating on you and going against their advice, you're going against what your whole project is about.

It's like the kid on this forum who constantly disagreed with people who knew what they were talking about, then tried to launch a freelancing site while going against the exact service he was offering.

It seems like you have a skill at making documentaries.

If you want to be well known, and wanted to do a documentary about someone who knows how to make money making millions of dollars, I'd love to watch that. You would get the publicity you're looking for by being the one producing that. You'd also probably make some decent money on the doc, because if focusing on that one specific doc, and doing it insanely well, it'd probably be extremely successful.

If you really want to make $1m in 2 years, I'd start focusing on that. Going into the doc with no plan to do so, and so little time spent on the making money part 7 months in, it's clear the amount of focus won't allow you to do this right now.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
snowbank, as usual, hit the nail on the head.

You're too busy thinking about the documentary. It's about the money, Lebowski!

Don't worry about the pre-media attention. Give them a finished product. As in, get all the footage first. And leave them guessing the answer.

No offense, but if you fail, you have a crappy product. You could probably sell it, but not as widely as you would if you succeeded.

You CAN do it... but I don't think you will. Prove me wrong.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Prove me wrong.

He shouldn't try to prove people wrong.

He should listen, and prove them right.

It makes a lot more sense to change direction when you realize it's not the best direction, then to spend 2 years trying to prove people wrong.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest opinion. This, above all, is about earning a million dollars in two years. Filming the journey is my way of giving back. The attention to the website and promotion was all planned to give validation to my project so i can gain access to more well known entrepreneurs for mentorship. it was a leverage point. I don't understand why some people on the forum don't think i'm working towards earning a million dollars. i'm working 18 hours a day towards it. I fully intend to earn it.

It is difficult to man both fronts, and don't think I'm not taking the advice on here. I'm sure jackedwards will agree his advice on being more focused on less things was duly noted and eventually put to use.

The effort on the documentary side is what's mentioned above, and the more awareness there is on the project, the better chance i have at succeeding.

the fashion line hasn't launched because we're waiting on word back this week on getting a good distribution deal in a world renowned spot. i've been setting up manufacturing, making prototypes and getting the website ready in the meantime.

the first app is in development now.

the website is already released.

If you look at the scope of it, I've done a hell of a lot in 7 months from scratch.

- I built an mlm organization of 100 people (22 personally sponsored) in 6 months.
- I built a well put together blog and gained some traction called old sentiments
- I have set up manufacturing, prototypes and the website for the fashion line
- I did 1 month market research on apps and the first one is now being developed, including the logo and website for the business as well
- I set up publicity and awareness for the documentary through social media, and got the website developed
- I've interviewed 9 successful millionaire entrepreneurs

this sounds like your main goal. much more than making $1m in 2 years. you want to be well known. there's nothing wrong with that. i can tell you right now there's substantially easier ways to do this. if your main goal was really what you say it is, to make $1m in 2 years, spending so much time on the documentary and gearing what you share around what film directors are telling you is insane.

without focus, you WILL fail. right now you're on a track to failure, if you're being honest about your goal. you are all over the place. you can't decide if you want to be a documentary maker, someone who knows how to make money, or someone who learns how to make money. these are extremely different things. you're trying to be the star of the documentary, with a goal that you have no plan of hitting it sounds like, while also attempting to have it be another version of think and grow rich. you can't try to do all 3 and do extremely well at 1 of them.

Think and Grow Rich was great because it dominated what it's main goal was.

Tim's new book will dominate what it's goal is.

Those are market leaders in what they were attempting to do.

How a 25 year old kid who wants to be well known fails to make $1m while attempting to teach lessons like Think and Grow Rich did is substantially different - it is the market leader in nothing.

You're so focused on film festivals and NYT bestsellers that you're not even stopping to realize that you're not doing the best things to try and reach your goal- which is the main reason people would be interested.

If "Millionaire by 25" turns into "25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" it's not accomplishing any of your 3 goals.

You won't have made money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have learned to make money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have great interviews or compilations of amazing information like Tim Ferriss or Think and Grow Rich because you don't know the best questions to ask.

"25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" is not going to achieve your goal of getting well known.(don't kid yourself that getting well known isn't one of your main goals. you've spent more time on websites to promote the film, fb page to promote the film, logos and all that other stuff that is irrelevant to making money than anything else.)

You're so caught up in trying to make this documentary about 72 different things that it's not going to do any of them well. I've said that before but it's worth mentioning again. You're all over the place.

Jobless people are not going to be excited about this if you don't make a LOT of money. Watching someone fail, and then trying to spin it off as, "I failed but I learned a lot" is played out in my mind. Especially if you're not going to get anywhere close, and sprinkle in interviews of other people too.

I'm not a film producer, but it sounds like individually some of these would have potential. Mixed together- a mess

If you truly want to be taken seriously, listen to people who know what they're talking about, and execute on what they say.

If you're just going to assume people are hating on you and going against their advice, you're going against what your whole project is about.

It's like the kid on this forum who constantly disagreed with people who knew what they were talking about, then tried to launch a freelancing site while going against the exact service he was offering.

It seems like you have a skill at making documentaries.

If you want to be well known, and wanted to do a documentary about someone who knows how to make money making millions of dollars, I'd love to watch that. You would get the publicity you're looking for by being the one producing that. You'd also probably make some decent money on the doc, because if focusing on that one specific doc, and doing it insanely well, it'd probably be extremely successful.

If you really want to make $1m in 2 years, I'd start focusing on that. Going into the doc with no plan to do so, and so little time spent on the making money part 7 months in, it's clear the amount of focus won't allow you to do this right now.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
and i'm quite offended that you would suggest that it isn't about earning the money. this is above all about retiring my family. that's what the money is for. i grew up poor and i've watched my family struggle their entire lives and it's worse now than it's ever been.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
To explain in an even simpler way - take a step back and look at where all the value lies:

You're going to star in a documentary about making money- value is on YOU definitely not me. It would be valuable to me if someone who knew how to make a lot of money was documented.

You're going to interview successful people- value is on YOU and the person you're interviewing. If you really wanted to create massive value, you'd have someone who knows how to make money asking questions about making money.

You're trying to be the jack of all trades and the master of none.

You have thought very little about the amount of value you're providing the potential customer, but a lot about yourself.

Because YOU think it'd be interesting to make a documentary about YOU learning to make money while YOU interview people, doesn't mean other people will.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
He shouldn't try to prove people wrong.

He should listen, and prove them right.

It makes a lot more sense to change direction when you realize it's not the best direction, then to spend 2 years trying to prove people wrong.

True. But whatever gets him motivated, is what I'm trying to get at.

I just don't think this guy will do it. He's got the mindset, but he's literally gotta eat, sleep, breathe, and shit business in order for this to work. He's gotta build something that will get him at least a $1 million asset in 18 months.

The scene I'm envisioning: He walks into some office of a guy who does business valuations. He presents the papers and the guy dramatically says the worth of the business, something like "Your business is approximately worth, one million, one hundred and twenty thousand dollars" and Mr. Millionaire looks down and covers his eyes, in an emotional moment.

I want to see that scene. I jsut don't think it will materalize. Nothing personal, man.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
without focus, you WILL fail.

Great advice man.

Not only do you have to focus on a single start up by pledging all your time, effort and resources to that start up because that is what it demands to make it a success. But your start up has to be VERY focused on the solution to the pain point in the market. If you can't tell me in one sentence or succinctly what is your start up accomplishes then your start up is not focused enough and you get an end product that the market usually rejects.

I was reading a really good article that said that if you can't articulate in less than 60 seconds to investors what exactly your start up does and why you are the right person to execute that then its a bust.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.