The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just heard a dad tell his son to go the slow lane to get a Lamborghini

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Here is the issue with me. I genuinely enjoy networking, making money, building businesses and landing large deals. These are actually my favorite things, above all else, it literally makes me the happiest.

I don't give 2 shits about drinking any more. It was once a big vice of mine especially the first 2 years after my dad died. I have had enough alcohol for my lifetime, rock bottom is not fun. I also don't really care to party my a$$ off with a bunch of people that only like to get hammered, watch football and play grab a$$. I used to run with those people, I honestly relate very little to them. I don't have cable, not because I can't afford it, because I don't give a shit about it. I watch the Texans after golf every week in the lounge at the country club, it is the only thing I watch on TV.

I am not tied down to one business, I currently own 3. My girlfriend of 4 years is great, I wouldn't cheat because I love her and I am also not interested in getting laid 7 times per day. Women have always thrown themselves at me so I got my pick. ;)

I would MUCH rather be enjoying a night out with the girlfriend, chilling on a Caribbean island, or on a golf course talking business with a select few people that I enjoy the company of. I do not think the dead end job, party and sex lifestyle applies to me whatsoever. In fact it sounds like hell.

Man, with every post you write I'm even more looking forward to meeting you. Its like taken out of my mind, although you're a few steps ahead of me in business.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
:pop:

Thanks for taking the time to articulate your position.

Here's the reason for my non-response.

“If you can't say anything nice, at least have the decency to be vague.” ― Susan Andersen

But since you are asking for feedback, I didn't find it interesting.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Ladies please!

[video=youtube;oArDFU_IESQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArDFU_IESQ[/video]
I am going to post this every time there is a cat fight from now on :smxB:

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I guess I just expect that when some tells me how valuable my information would be to them, they can at least take 10 seconds to say thank you when I take the time to provide the information. It's common courtesy.

I found your posts in this thread extremely informative and am glad you posted them. I think the problem is it goes against what most people want to believe here (hence why the posts didn't receive more likes, they should have). If you do have a degree in highly skilled field like comp sci your chance at wealth increases. Also if you work hard and smart and land jobs at the likes of Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon etc. your chance at wealth increases.

Just look at how many millionaire/billionaire entrepreneurs are former Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. alumni that left to start tech startups.

To be perfectly clear if you get a relevant degree and get a good job, especially in the tech sector then you are helping to stack the odds of wealth in your favour. I'm not saying that you can't be hugely successful without all that, of course you can, but if you're young and looking to make it big in the tech sector as an employee or an entrepreneur then JScott's advice is gold IMO.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I found your posts in this thread extremely informative and am glad you posted them. I think the problem is it goes against what most people want to believe here (hence why the posts didn't receive more likes, they should have). If you do have a degree in highly skilled field like comp sci your chance at wealth increases. Also if you work hard and smart and land jobs at the likes of Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon etc. your chance at wealth increases.

I finally got what this thread was talking about... and I have to agree with you.

I think the way to wealth is to go to college, get a good job at one of those companies, and invest wisely. Then by the time I'm 55 I'll hopefully have 7 figures!

Thanks for the nuggets of wisdom guys! Fastlane4LyFe woohoo

:smilielol:

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
I think JScott gets way too much hate for his comments in his thread. IMO he points out a very good strategy. Not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur and joining a promising company for equity is a very good alternative route. Speed++

Also adding to this, most people who try entrepreneurship will not succeed. They just don't have what it takes. MJ has proposed a strategy that increases your chances of success tenfold if followed correctly. It's funny how people are so quick to rip apart a strategy that doesn't involve working for someone else, even if it is short term.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You know you and I are like black and white. I'm not slower, I'm just ten steps ahead of you. By the time you leave corporate America, I'll have already sold a business to it. I love making the whole world blind. ;)

If a person isn't for fastlane entrepreneur concepts, then I don't get why they would want to post on a forum who's purpose is just that?

As far as I know from reading his posts around here he already left corporate america a few years ago, had quite nice success with the equity strategy he described and is now successful in real estate..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Jscott. I get what you are saying. There are obviously other paths to get a few million dollars. No doubt! But 7 figures by 40 or whatever coasting along sounds like shit. At 1m you are still living in a modest house, driving modest cars, doing modest things and you certainly are not free if you want to keep your money.

My take on this stuff was that I was ALWAYS an entrepreneur. I never gave a shit in school. I knew I was never going to have to fight for a job or ever look good on paper like the rest of the sheep. I have never once used a resume. I no doubt could have made straight A's at Baylor (where I graduated from w/ a BBA) but I didn't care and made a 2.9. My business at the time took priority. I myself would never be able to make millions in the slowlane because I would be a mediocre employee at best. I just flat out do not care unless it is mine.

I have been an entrepreneur since I was 12 years old. It is in my blood I have always made more money on my own. When you start talking about the probability of making 8 figures instead of 7, a good job with equity starts to fall off a cliff statistically. Only a select few make it to the top of the ladder that way, and loyal servant career junkies would take priority over me.

So your route would never in a million years work for me. I am not saying it can't happen! I just couldn't do it. Too boring and way too little control of my future.

I would die of liver disease making 60k per year on my 45th job.

There you go.

Some people are built for it, some are not.

If you're not, you're still welcome at the Fastlane Forum.

(Not only this, but some people are simply really shitty employees. They couldn't do it if they tried. They'd get hired and then fired the next week for doing something that they weren't supposed to.)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
You guys don't get along, agree to disagree for f*cks sake and move past this. [/endthread]

Don't make me post another Thumper video, I'll do it!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
"Having money's not everything, not having it is." - found this to be very true.

Another way brilliantly put by Jewish folk - "Having money not as good, as not having money is bad."

When you have money, you can worry about bigger things - how to get a girl worthy to be your wife, what should my life be about?

when you have no money, you have very specific thing to worry about, rent, bills, can I afford a drink?

At least that's how it is for me. It's not happiness that goes up, but it's easier to be grateful and understand how good of a position you're in, and then it can lead to happiness. But that's a chain you gotta work through. Happiness isn't magic, it's a process.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Referring back to the original post...

I think most people go through life not questioning the world around them and not trying to find answers.

Obviously to the dad, Lamborghinis are cool but being able to afford a Lamborghini was never very important to him; not important enough that he would try to form a plan on actually getting one.

Most people are like that though. I remember at my former job, dudes would have calendars up with pics of supercars on them. They obviously thought those were cool cars, but neither were willing to go out of their way to be able to afford them.

Unless your parents already did the task, one must take on the daunting task of building wealth; which will probably make you want to give up more than once and test your ability to keep your sanity.

If being able to afford a lamborghini seems hard, just remember: Elon Musk is trying to get to Mars.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Son: "That's okay, money doesn't buy happiness anyway."
Dad: "That's right son!"

Money does buy happiness because at the very least, you're unhappy when you lack money. So when you have ample money you are happier than when you lacked money. Therefore it buys happiness. Also, the rich people I've seen generally seemed very happy. I read an actual article that says money does make you happier and that there's no upper limit to it. The more you have the happier you become. They did a study on it. Also I think it makes you happier if you work on goals and don't think negative thoughts.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
For most people, the Slowlane is the best advice. Not everyone is made to be an entrepreneur.

Funny thing though: anyone who can save $3000/month can 'afford' a Lamborghini.

Yeah, exactly.

If my hypothetical son asked me how to get a Lambo I'd ask him 'why do you want a Lamborghini?'.

Too many ppl want a Lambo for all the wrong reasons ie. to show off, as a status symbol, to impress chicks, attention seeking etc.
Some people are genuinely passionate about cars and see a Lambo as the ultimate car, that's cool, in that case go for it, but fastlane isn't the only way to get one.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
The-J you realise I was agreeing with you and then elaborating in my initial reply to your post right? I wasn't being sarcastic if that's how you took it... didn't really understand your reply or it's relevance, only thing I can think of is you thought I was being sarcastic or having a go at you.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The only thing worse than that money doesn't buy happiness quote is that it is the root of all evil. Whatever.

The people who say that money is the root of all evil don't understand its power or how to use it for themselves.

Just like everything else in human history...

TheBigPill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 6, 2012
The convo went like this:
Dad: "Well son, a Lamborghini is a lot of money! If you want to get one you'll have to work really hard in school, get into a good college, and get a really good desk job at some place like Microsoft. By the time your my age you would be able to afford one. And that my son, is how successful people do it."

You don't know what you don't know. That would've been my answer too *but* now I know better and do better. Think about it. That's the prevailing thought about how you get rich. You don't hear much talk about providing value, filling a need, or how to use money as leverage.

IMO, economic freedom is probably the greatest freedom of all because it allows you to life your life your way. Whether you like it or not, money makes the world go round and I can tell you from experience having it is multitudes better than not.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.

Thank you for actually writing this, I have felt this way recently in regard to what I call the "forum mindset". Very recently, I also held this "fastlane is superior" mindset looking down upon people with traditional jobs or who were slaves to the 9-5. I was thinking it was a fate worse than death, but not all (in fact not most) people can be entrepreneurs, independent, and financially successful. It just cannot happen. Who are we to judge these people? I have been actively working on not judging others or their situations whether financial or otherwise and have found it has made me a much happier person.

Now, in regard to money and happiness, let's take the basic premise "money buys happiness". I would say it does to a point. Obviously being so poor you can't afford food or security, money would "buy happiness" in the form of better health (having food), feeling more secure and even some luxuries. Now let's assume all your basic needs are met, and you can even afford some luxuries and are considered "middle-class". I would say more money does not absolutely buy more happiness. It is a very dangerous and slippery slope when external factors determine your happiness. Whether that be a physical object like a luxury car or someone else's love and approval or prestige or food/substances etc etc. When you don't have that "thing" you aren't happy. To be truly happy, it must come from within. You cannot let outside factors determine your happiness because they can be taken away from you at any second. Also, there are other factors such as health that all the money in the world won't matter if you're on your deathbed or have an incurable disease.

I'd say in general, more money (meaning more security, freedom, options) does buy you more happiness. In absolute terms, it depends. I know for sure though, that my happiness does not DEPEND on money. And I sure as hell try to not look down on those without money or consider myself superior to them. Once you realize that true happiness comes from within and does not depend on anything or anyone else, you will truly be free. And happy. ;)

I also tend to believe/support the theory of hedonic adaptation, if you are interested at all in psychology. :p

Just my 2 cents...

edit: in regard to the post that got in above me, I do completely agree that everyone wants more time and more freedom. The thing is, not everyone can have this. And just because they can't, does that mean we should look down and condemn them? The very fact that you are on this forum at all and have an entrepreneurial mindset, is actually very fortunate. You won the genetic lottery. Yay, you can haz a cookie. There is a reason not everyone can or will "make it". What then? Just because someone is not fastlane does not mean they cannot be happy in their own situation? What if I had a physical deformity or am mentally incapable at being an entrepreneur? Most people literally cannot be fastlane and will never achieve it. Probably 95%+ of people. Does that also mean they cannot be happy in their situation? It is just very dangerous to assume that those without money are inferior to those with money and less happy. It is not absolute. If my happiness depended on the amount of money I had in my bank account, by fastlane standards I should be absolutely miserable and unhappy. The reality is FAR from that.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven. There's no common objective measure of happiness, as even the term is subjective.

However, take a survey of 100 people living in a homeless shelter, and 100 multi millionaires... and I guarantee you I can predict which group will score higher on general questions about happiness. It's common sense.

Paradoxically, if it were true that, "You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven" then it would be somewhat problematic to demonstrate that, "It's (the correlation between money and happiness) common sense".

I just want to step back a bit and put the belief (or non belief) that money is correlated strongly with happiness on the shelf and speak about the method behind the analysis that assists individuals in forming opinions and judgements on how the world (supposedly) works.

When looking at information, an individual has to either subscribe to the scientific-method of looking at data or some other methodology before a common-ground discussion can occur.

One can either adopt the scientific-method and seek information under that umbrella or use the pseudo-religious-method "you can't measure god (or insert whatever characteristic/phenomena) because god is subjective and can neither be proven nor disproven".

Neither method is right. Neither method is wrong. As long as everybody understands which method they are using.

Classifying a characteristic or phenomena as "unmeasurable" would (generally) fall under the pseudo-religious-method as the scientific-method is more focused on measurement. Again this is neither right nor wrong. It is simply the rationality-umbrella one uses to form opinions and judgements.

Having said that, getting back to the correlation (or lack thereof) between money and happiness. Speaking only for myself, I personally tend to use the scientific-method. This may or may not be adequate, but that's just me. And those who have used this method while looking at the correlation between money and happiness have not found any strong correlation that I am aware of.

This is not to say that there is no correlation. But only that the correlation may be strong for a small window but generally weak overall.

Those who are using a different method other than the scientific-method to analyze the correlation between money and happiness may come to different conclusions and form different opinions. Neither opinion is right nor wrong. Each has been "demonstrated" using the individual's chosen method of analyzing data.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I mentioned in a previous post, namely:

Obviously I'm not the most well read individual in the world so if there is a study that follows the scientific method (or another method if you prefer; religious, survey, etc.) that you are aware of that shows a strong correlation between money and happiness I would love to read it.

Again, it is possible that the scientific-method has yet to adequately design a study to fully analyze the correlation between money and happiness. But until that happens, for individuals that follow the scientific-method, current results will have to do (for now).

PS: This phenomena, that is, happiness associated with the material, falls under the hedonic treadmill or hedonic adaptation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Wow... I'm shocked how many people here are actually arguing against the fastlane mentallity.
We're not, we are just saying that:
A) Fastlane isn't for everyone, it's a personal choice
and
B) Fastlane is only one way of many that you can buy a lambo

If you think the guy with a 9 to 5 who mocks the $400 million entrepreneur is "successful..." and are worried about driving him away, his thoughts and outlook on life aren't wanted here anyway

Slowlaners who mock fastlaners are no better than fastlaners who mock slowlaners. The 400 million entrepreneur is a successful fastlaner, I don't know enough about the slowlaner to know whether or not he is successful, by the sounds of it, probably not.

Is a 28 year old with a net worth of half a mil, earning a six figure salary in a prominent role at one of the worlds largest charitable organisations, making a difference, who, is free to leave the job at anytime, successful? Depends on how you classify success, but most people I'd wager would say yes, he's a successful slowlaner.

The reason I came here was because it's hard to find successful people to share insights with, whether that be fastlane/slowlane etc. The next logical step for me is fastlane because I feel held back in a job and I do think I can do better with my life. I have tried fastlane before and failed.

So I arrived here because I wanted to share thoughts on where I've gone wrong (but I can also provide insights on where I've gone right for others) with people who are more successful than myself and pin point where I've gone wrong in the past, and while there are successful people here with great advice/insights but there's also alot of egotistical garbage.

truly successful slowlaners aren't calling successful fastlaners losers, the smart ones respect them and want to learn from them, and successful fastlaners have better things to do (and better insights to share) than to rip on slowlaners...

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Slowlaners who mock fastlaners are no better than fastlaners who mock slowlaners. The 400 million entrepreneur is a successful fastlaner, I don't know enough about the slowlaner to know whether or not he is successful, by the sounds of it, probably not.

He's been working at the company for over 20 years and in in a very high management position probably making $250k+ a year there. Not only did he dis the guy who successfully sold a company to his employer for half a billion dollars, but he was the guy in charge who failed to capitalize on the purchase hahaha. In addition to insulting him (the type of guy I look up to), he also continued to insult me and my choices. Told me I have no chance of ever starting a successful business because I didn't go to college, that I should go back, get a degree, and ask him for a job. I rolled my eyes and thanked him for meeting with me. :smilielol:

That's why I have a hard time "respecting" the other side. I'm definitely on the defensive and will be for some time. =p

ps. Yes, I know I'm heartless and ruthless. I'm cut-throat for a reason though! I can only hope one day my cut-throat attitude will come across as awesome as Kevin O'Leary's style hahaha.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
He's been working at the company for over 20 years and in in a very high management position probably making $250k+ a year there. Not only did he dis the guy who successfully sold a company to his employer for half a billion dollars, but he was the guy in charge who failed to capitalize on the purchase hahaha.

Ok, so on that kind of salary for that long he could be worth 4mil+ IF he knows what he's doing with money.
If that's the case, he's a successful slowlaner.

he also continued to insult me and my choice
He's also a jerk ;)

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I'm all for the fastlane but there is still something I'm trying to figure out and every case and point example I have with the people surrounding me prove more money doesn't mean being happier.

I know a ton of folks who are filthy rich, who wake up on Tuesdays and don't have to do anything. Yet, they have problems having kids - their marriage is a wreck etc.

I know a few people who are middle - class'ers who leverage fastlane techniques to support a few passive income businesses but don't make much more than 6-8k a month. However they have a wonderful marriage, kids, are very happy and just overall great people who contribute to society very nicely.

Money could buy happiness I think but sometimes not sure if being filthy rich is the greatest thing in the world.

Personally, if I can support my lifestyle with passive income and then some and have the time to spend random days of the weekday just volunteering/seeing family/helping my parents - I'd be more than fine. I crave the freedom aspect more.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.

Speed +

I do make a conscious distinction between producers and consumers. I hold producers higher in regard than consumers. In the meaning that I respect a person who tries to add value to his/her society whether it's financially; knowledge, literature or plain entertainment.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Steve Ballmer: #19 on Forbes list. Slowlane :rofl:

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Sad. Good memories I am sure, but still. Sad.

I am very blessed. I am living in the happiest time of my life right now, and it is getting better and better.

Well I guess it is all the perspective you have.

I live within 100 yards of my grandchildren all of whom think I am the coolest person in the world, except their Dad and Mom.

I have a VERY close relationship with my daughter-in-law and son and wife.

I don't owe a single penny on anything and have my electric, water etc paid up for just under 1 year on my 5 houses which are only for my use, not rentals.

I don't have to work another day in my life.

I am actually in better shape than my avatar pic, I can still out lift and outrun guys half my age.

Many people in the population would trade places with me in a second so yes my life is amazingly great. I am so very thankful for what I have and the relationships I have with friends and family.

BUT that feeling of freedom and knowing how great you are in sports is something that if you have never experienced it you REALLY do not know what you are missing, which for most is a good thing.

Sooooooooooooooo yea you get what I am saying lol

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Ballmer was initially offered a salary of $50,000 as well as a percentage of ownership of the company in 1980.

So... all you need to do is find the next Microsoft, and be their 30th employee. Easy peasy.
and THEN I will have my fleet of Lambos

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yeah, OZ I am not really worried about getting there.

Thanks Vigilante.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Slowlaners who mock fastlaners are no better than fastlaners who mock slowlaners.

I like this.

I'm not too interested in the "money buys happiness" thing because I think people can mean so many different things when they say it. Some people may mean that money makes things easier, opens up opportunities, etc. Some may mean that every person is ultimately responsible for their own happiness. Some may mean that a life of "chasing money" is a poor choice, and and a one-way ticket to Ratraceville . . . I don't really see a lot to disagree with in this thread, just a bunch of people coming at the question from different angles.

There's another aspect to this thread, though, where people have complained about the tendency to judge slowlaners as inferior. I have to agree that I don't really see the point of it. It almost always reeks of either arrogance or insecurity. MJ's book is targeted at people who need to see the slowlane philosophy take a good thrashing. This reverses indoctrination and helps them see new options, possibilities. Blanket condemnation of slowlaners is the opposite of that effect . . . you're shutting yourself off, cozying up with your arrogance and your assumptions. It accomplishes nothing.

The way MJ talks about the slowlane in his book: provides VALUE, as his target audience consists of people who are very frustrated with the slowlane, and they're wondering what else is out there . . .

The (dismissive) way some people in this forum talk about slowlane: provides no value, mostly just a way of blowing hot air and propping up the ego . . . all about the person speaking, not the potential listener.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.