The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[INSIDER CALL] Raising Money for your Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this Z! This will help me a lot.

BTW, "Pitch anything" by Oren Klaff is IMO a pretty good book on this topic, do you know it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Speed Nazi said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to zen******* again.

Damn speed nazi.

Fantastic call Z. Overflowing with inspirational golden nuggets!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Pick up the F*cking phone.
Ask what they need and give it to them.
Learn to tell a compelling story
Find a good attorney.
Identify an expert team.
Find an investor with more than money to offer initially. Make it worth their while.
Go BIG or Go home.
Leverage. Scale.
Pick up the F*ckn phone
Show up. Meet with people.
Stop being a p*ssy
no one benefits from you doing small shit in your basement

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
Thanks for doing this Zen!

Lots of good stuff to think about. I love the enthusiasm.. I'm actually sweating from the adrenaline rush.

Until today I was basically determined to bootstrap my ventures alone, but this opens up a world of possibilities. Glad I decided to listen to this call.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Amazing call, Z! Thank you very much!

---

These are my notes:

* Before pitching, ask: am I good executor? Is this is a good deal for them? Am I worth the investment?
* Bootstraping is slow (and not for everything). Do if for 3-4 months, then LEVERAGE.
* Execute, learn the ropes first before asking for money.
* Get much more than money: Money is a commodity.
* This was eye-opening: Become a storyteller.
* You can't make time. Money allows you to go super-fast.
* Talk with real people before starting a business (by calling customers/vendors, Dale could identify opportunities, build relationships and get INSIDERS secrets.

---

Only could make after 37 minutes of started the call, but it was so worth it. Thanks again Dale!

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Pick up the F*cking phone.
Ask what they need and give it to them.
Learn to tell a compelling story
Find a good attorney.
Identify an expert team.
Find an investor with more than money to offer initially. Make it worth their while.
Go BIG or Go home.
Leverage. Scale. Profit. Everybody wins.
Pick up the F*ckn phone
Show up. Meet with people. Go the extra mile.
Stop being a p*ssy

Should edit that audio and make it my alarm lol.

drmctcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 14, 2009
Phoenix Metro
F*****G EPIC call!!!! WOW!! Zen's enthusiasm is on fire and sets the the rest of us a blaze!!!
Thanks for sharing. Brilliant lessons on raising capital~ of course.... But also Huge lessons on mindset, focus, Direct response marketing ~ Story telling... Amazing, and list goes on....!
Rep Speed ++
Thanks again for your time Zen!!:eusa_clap:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Bought the INSIDERS membership yesterday, already paid for itself! Right on the money Vigilante...

One call.. such as today's call... can pay for 20 years of INSIDERS for some. Even if you don't need to "raise funds" --- tune in to the call anyway. It is the MINDSET you need to catch even if the specific content is not relevant to you today

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Speed + for the fantastic call!

You sounded like you were having a ball and your storytelling approach really comes across in your teaching too. Thanks for the taking the time out today.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks again Zen. Pure Gold!

[video=youtube_share;CF7OnW4XDck]http://youtu.be/CF7OnW4XDck[/video]

FYI, at the peak we had 63 callers.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this Z! This will help me a lot.

BTW, "Pitch anything" by Oren Klaff is IMO a pretty good book on this topic, do you know it?

I go here excellent free info. book was good also PITCH ANYTHING

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks Zen for taking time to share your wisdom. I'm proud to say that I was finally on a call! Woo hoo! The power of a good story cannot be underestimated!

D

DeletedUser2

Pitch anything

by Oren Klaff is a good book.
I am happy to call Oren a friend of mine, and we have discussed story building in raising capital.

his book is a GREAT read.

he lays out a methodology that's pretty powerful, and if mastered pretty damn good.

Personally I wish I had known him back when I was raising money.
I would have used some of his systems.

Z

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Zen, this may be slightly off topic, but is it truth or fiction that VC's typically invest in "fresh" entrepreneurs rather than successful entrepreneurs they have invested in previously? It seems counter intuitive, but most VC studies I have read indicate your odds of getting investment from the same firm twice is much lower than the first time you get investment. Of course the study covered only VC funds. Thanks.

D

DeletedUser2

Zen, this may be slightly off topic, but is it truth or fiction that VC's typically invest in "fresh" entrepreneurs rather than successful entrepreneurs they have invested in previously? It seems counter intuitive, but most VC studies I have read indicate your odds of getting investment from the same firm twice is much lower than the first time you get investment. Just curious. Thanks.

thats more like saying EVERY investor Invests the same way.

if you interview a bunch of coal miners, and ask, whats the best part of the day. you will find MOST of them like either lunch, or after work.

the world is made up of more than Venture Capital investors.

:)

Z

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
thats more like saying EVERY investor Invests the same way.

if you interview a bunch of coal miners, and ask, whats the best part of the day. you will find MOST of them like either lunch, or after work.

the world is made up of more than Venture Capital investors.

Z

Point taken. It was a slightly an irrelevant question. The studies are not necessarily representative of what will actually happen. Just got me wondering. Thanks.

Luk391

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 9, 2012
I only managed to dial in the last 10 minutes of Q&A :( A recording would be phenomenal!

From those 10 minutes I felt motivated and learned some of the things mentioned earlier- would love to make some of my own notes! :)

Thanks Zen for taking your time out to do this.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Pitch anything

by Oren Klaff is a good book.
I am happy to call Oren a friend of mine, and we have discussed story building in raising capital.

his book is a GREAT read.

he lays out a methodology that's pretty powerful, and if mastered pretty damn good.

Personally I wish I had known him back when I was raising money.
I would have used some of his systems.

Z

Awesome! I'll reread his book over the weekend and listen to your call a few more time to get all the details down. I'm not raising capital but as a CRE broker I am pitching something everyday, mostly to get listings right now, so I'm looking at all opportunites to improve.

Btw, if you would like to have the recording I made send me a quick PM, otherwise I will of course not share it without your consent.

Thanks again for the great value you gave us today!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Here is a detailed summary I did of the call. I feel like I haven't added much value to the forum yet, but this was something that I knew I could help out with. Thanks Zen!

Just got done listening to a private conference call titled: “Raising Money For Your Project.” Below is a summary of what I learned from the call.

The first three major points that the presenter said were critical to know early on are as follows:

1) Investors only make money when they invest. Investors always have money floating around that is looking for a good home, and it is your job to provide a home for that money.

2) Deals have to be fair for both parties; an investor will just walk away if you don’t provide a good home for his money.

3) Investors want to feel like they are part of something big and important, they want to be able to brag to their friends and tell them about all the cool things they are doing.

The two most important skills that a person needs to have to raise money are as follows:

1) The ability to take a complex set of circumstances and details and then boil them all down into something easily explainable and easy to understand in less than 5 minutes. You should be able to explain what you do to an investor in a sentence or two. An example was given where an investor asked what Zen does, and he said “I sell things online.” He then elaborated by saying, “It costs us $45 to get new customers, and the value of a customer over 6 months is $150.” That is all the investor needed to know to want to be a part.

2) The ability to tell an extremely compelling story that grabs people at an emotional level. You know you are a good story teller when people interrupt you halfway through your story with excitement, asking how they can get involved. Go to toastmasters, read books about storytelling, learn about comedic timing and structure, etc.

The better you can succinctly describe what you do, and the better storyteller you are- combined with a valuable proposition to the investor, will allow you to give away less equity. In the beginning stages though, you should get investors that bring more than just money to the table. You want an older investor who has ‘walked the walk’, who is willing to answer questions, give advice, and provide connections.

DON’T BE GREEDY, especially in your first few businesses. People always want to know what is in it for them, so make sure your investor is well taken care of.

To raise money, you need to be willing to ask everyone for money, or if they know people who have money: you cannot be shy about this.

Cover yourself from a legal perspective. Talk to attorneys to make sure you are in the clear, and to learn what you can and cannot say.

Ask these questions before looking for investors:

1) Is this deal worthy of investment, and would I personally invest in this deal?
2) Am I worthy of an investment?
3) Am I a good steward of money, and will handle the investment with care?

If no, re-evaulate the deal.

Bootstrapping is often too slow, it is ok to bootstrap for a couple of months, but access to capital gives you a lot more speed.

QUESTIONS:

Q: How do you raise capital for real estate?

A: Raise the money 6-9 months in advance! You should be continually cultivating your contacts and investors, so when you find a good deal, the people you know are already expecting it and will jump at the opportunity to invest.

Q: If I have been in business a long time, will that hurt my chances of raising capital?

A: No, time and stability in business matters a lot, as it makes investors less nervous.

Q: What tips do you have on effectively researching a market and doing due diligence?

A: “Pick up the F’ing phone” You should call and talk to people in the industry. Vendors are often a secret weapon, and know people that you should be talking to. Email is ok – phone is good – in person is the ultimate! If you have to buy a $300 plane ticket and rent a hotel just to visit someone, they will take you serious, because they know you want it. TALK TO PEOPLE AND GO MEET THEM WHERE THEY ARE.

My favorite quote: “If you are going to do something, do it big.”

p.s. Sorry I didn't summarize Eskil's question, I couldn't hear him very well...

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
p.s. Sorry I didn't summarize Eskil's question, I couldn't hear him very well...

Lol when listening to it again I realized I spoke way too fast there... :)

Basically:
Q: When approaching investors how do I decide what sort of equity to offer?
On tv shows like Shark Tank – the equity always seems to be correlated to an evaluation. I wanted to know if it was important to have an evaluation and what role it plays in deciding equity.

If you have the notes for Dale's answer you can add them here - if not, let me know and I can add that.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
What an immeasurably valuable call! Telling it how it is and telling it how it should be. Just wow. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to do this.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Appreciate the guys who posted recaps. I really wanted to be on this one but I got stuck doing something for work and forgot to chime in in the car. Definitely regretting missing it.

D

DeletedUser2

Appreciate the guys who posted recaps. I really wanted to be on this one but I got stuck doing something for work and forgot to chime in in the car. Definitely regretting missing it.

Allen posted a link farther up. of the call.

Z

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Re-listened to the call...So much good info in there. I'd love to get better in the fund raising department, and this is exactly what I needed. Thanks again for your time!

You mentioned that you'd share a link about 8 min and 30sec in for some material that you had created? Did I miss it somewhere, or are you still waiting to push that.

Best Regards,

Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads