The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I wonder why (most) Americans don't do this.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Didn’t read all, but I just wanted to say:
In Germany we wait for some random people from Mars like you to let them study for free.
That’s what I paid my 45% tax for the last 30 years!
PS: if someone has serious questions about studying in German, you can pm me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Why don't you guys go to countries like Germany where college is free? or other European or non-European countries

no

usa-the-best7.jpg

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Oct 16, 2022
OP is right, I wrote a giant guide for Americans on how to study in Europe, which country to choose, how to find housing, etc.

And then I understood that an education in the US was a status good people were *happy to pay for*.

That is, a cheap high-quality education in the Netherlands would not be worth as much as an expensive low-quality education in the US.

Conclusion: education is a market!!!! A luxury market.

A

Anon3x156

Didn’t read all, but I just wanted to say:
In Germany we wait for some random people from Mars like you to let them study for free.
That’s what I paid my 45% tax for the last 30 years!
PS: if someone has serious questions about studying in German, you can pm me.

That level of taxation is theft that's for sure but that's not my problem, if it's free I'll take it.

Also please remember that C0VlD-19 vaccine was invented by 2 Turks who studied in Germany.
So these international students benefit you and your country as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
OP is right, I wrote a giant guide for Americans on how to study in Europe, which country to choose, how to find housing, etc.

And then I understood that an education in the US was a status good people were *happy to pay for*.

That is, a cheap high-quality education in the Netherlands would not be worth as much as an expensive low-quality education in the US.

This is what I was wondering. What is a degree from a school in Europe worth compared to one in the US when it comes to getting a job afterwards? Do employers treat them the same? Does an engineering degree fully transfer over? Or do you need more education to get hired in the US?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

lack of recognition of brand names?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Ever heard of Oxford, Institut Polytechnique Federal, L'Ecole Normale Superieur, or Sciences Po?
I don’t think Oxbridge is free. They are huge brand names to Singapore students next to Ivy league. LSE or Imperial college would come after Oxbridge.

But European names are more alien to students who study mainly in English language.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
692%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

One more piece to the puzzle is missing in this entire thread. Education in the USA can also be very cheap if the person isn't just going to a specific college because of social status or path of least resistance. Private schools and big-name schools may be expensive nowadays, but community colleges are GREAT and cheap. Then you only have to do two more years at a state school, which is also usually relatively reasonable. So the type of person that would travel to Europe for an education (Cares about expenses and just wants an education) would more likely just do this option.

The last tidbit is that this type of person can likely get some scholarships as well(Merit or financial)... I could have had a full ride at a local public school based on my ACT. I decided to go to a state school I wanted to attend instead as it wasn't too expensive after scholarships anyway. My wife was accepted and then turned down a full ride to move out and live closer to her me (we were dating). Prices have obviously went up a lot since nearly 15+ years ago, but scholarships keep up (full ride = full ride).

The point is that if you plan for it and value education, a degree in the USA still pays itself back in dividends. On the other hand, those who get into massive debt with no end in sight either made serious miscalculations or value lifestyle over pragmatism.

All that being said.....USA tuition is severely bloated, and I would support cuts to administrative bloat to reduce prices drastically. I also think it is a bit predatory to allow 17-year-olds to take out 10s of thousands of dollars of nondischargeable debt a year at an age we don't even allow them to drink or vote yet. So nothing in my post should be interpreted as thinking that our current system sets people up for success.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Americans have prettier girls in college. Or at least they used to when I went to college. I doubt much has changed.
My eyebrow raised at this as soon as I saw it, but then I remembered that lots of the girls do look the same!

Come down to Newcastle, you won't believe what type of stuff the girls wear around there :rofl:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
My eyebrow raised at this as soon as I saw it, but then I remembered that lots of the girls do look the same!

Come down to Newcastle, you won't believe what type of stuff the girls wear around there :rofl:
You remembered that? Lol. I'll have to take your word for it buddy, I'm not the best "judge" anymore. Put it this way. I work 5 minutes from a desert university known for pretty girls (isn't it cold in Newcastle?), and when I go to lunch, all I see are BABIES. They are just way too young to be attractive.

When I was younger, I didn't understand old heads who would say stuff like that. Not sure when I became "that guy". Probably around the time I had a daughter. :smuggy:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.