The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't know what to do anymore.. should I just accept mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeletedUser394

Every time I seem to motivate myself, it dies a few days later.
Every time I set goals, I change them a few days later.

I can't decide on what I want, I make so many plans and nothing ever happens. I've finally taken action a few times, and in each instance I attack too aggressively and end up way over my head.

I no longer know what to read. And when I do choose something I can barely focus because I'm thinking about the next thing I'm going to read.

I can't make up my mind on my fastlane vehicle(s), I'm incredibly overloaded with information that I can't make sense of. I'm so lost. It's rather pathetic that I'm going to quit before I ever really start.

I have no guidance, no support system, no idea where I'm headed, no idea what I'm doing. There are no rules, no one to be accountable to but myself, and that's no motivator. I'm starting to lose faith in myself.

Sure, I got rid of TV, but I've just replaced it with the computer. I lose track of time and spend entire days, just reading and doing nothing online.

And just as always, I'm making excuses. I'm so pissed at myself, I get this far, and for what? to quit.

In a sense, this a plea for help/guidance. I just need to know where to start. The little bit of control that I had I seem to have found in my life seems to be slipping away again.

This seems to become a pattern. I build up the motivation and the drive, I have nothing to be accountable for, and I get overloaded or quit, and watch it slip away. I skipped 4 out of 5 of my first classes already this semester in the last two days.

Life is kinda' falling apart again, and I don't know what to do.

Maybe the problem is that I should be a slowlane person with a job and blindly following other people's orders? It seems it could be better, considering I can't even follow my own. I just always thought I belonged in the fastlane... I'm not so sure anymore. But at the same time I'm not sure of anything.

I'm sorry to all who's time I've wasted when they gave me advice/suggestions etc. It truly was a waste. I'm not even so sure that I'll follow through with the advice that you'll offer me now. I'm just being honest.

Ryan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Re: I don't know what to do anymore.. should I just accept medioc

There are alot of posts that come from you that reminds me of me currently. This is one of them.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008

Don't lose faith. You need to stick to SOMETHING. I am very much like you in that I can lose motivation quickly and spend a lot of time reading and thinking.

No one idea will ever be perfect. There will always be flaws. Could it be the negative voices in your head telling you can't do it, that you're going to fail? I only ask because that's what happens to a lot of people I think. Pay attention to your 'self-talk'.

But back to my point, just go out and do something. You know, going out and having a job at this point in your life isn't necessarily a bad thing either, if all you do now is waste time. It can teach you to be more discipled and realize even more that it is something that you DON'T want to do for the next 50 years.

Another reason is because you may be too comfortable at this point. Get uncomfortable. Get away from creature comforts. Make it so you HAVE to provide an income in one or or another.

As I said no idea will ever be perfect and you can't think of the negatives if you really want to succeed. That and expect the work. Expect to hustle. Don't shy away from rolling up your sleeves.

Get through it man, everyone goes through down spots. Just today I didn't get SQUAT done and spent a lot of my time reading, but the whole family has come down with the flew and I slept like crap last night and I'm not exactly up to par. Am I fine with that? No, not really. That's what will keep me motivated to push forward. Maybe this is your way to push forward to, by beating yourself up a little bit. The problem here is your not focusing on one thing. By bouncing around your starting over all the time. Pick one thing and don't let your lack of motivation steer you away. Do what you have to do to get through it and when you feel better, get back to work.

Not sure what else to tell you, but a lot of this is mental and at least you want more in life than most people, which is a start. Now you just have to stop being your own biggest enemy and get to work.

D

DeletedUser394

I guess I'm in one of those teenage identity crisis episodes.

I can't focus because I don't know what I want to focus on.

My life is basically;

Wake up
Go to school if I feel like it (I only have class 3 days per week)
Usually just sit in front of the computer from sunrise to sunset
Eat weird combinations of food at all hours of the day
Sleep whenever the hell I feel like it (which sometimes is only the next night)

I'm sort of just rotting away on this chair, I'm sitting with horrendous posture, I cleaned the entire house yesterday and I've already dumped my stuff everywhere so it looks just the same as it did before I cleaned.

I should have been sleeping 2-3 hours ago, but as usual my mother isn't home, so no one here but me to try and figure it all out. Again excuses. The weak make excuses. I'm weak.

I hate being so honest, but at this point I have nothing to hide.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

That's exactly me too so I completely understand. We should be business partners!!!!

D

DeletedUser394

That's exactly me too so I completely understand. We should be business partners!!!!

That would be the worst possible thing for us to do.

What I'm trying to get at, is that my life is out of control, I don't know how to get it back. The last thing I want to do, even remotely care about, is business.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

So why are you trying to focus so much of your time and effort in it? What do you think you need to focus on?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK

Ryan I know what you are going through.I've been there and kind of still am.I agree with JScott,small goals are the right thing to do when starting.Pick something that you think you could start easily and focus on that.The rest of the projects aren't going anywhere.And give yourself only around 2 hours a day on that project that you are focusing on.I think 2 hours should be good for now.No more,no less.Watch this video.He even mentions that using fewer hours is better.I watch it every now and then to remind me that things don't have to be massive and complicated :) David Heinemeier Hansson at Startup School 08 | Omnisio

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

If you are going through identity crisis then I strongly suggest you go and learn your personality type and learn anything you can about it! I did that the last few days, I was feeling crappy so I did that. I read the description and it was so very true, it does give you some security and self-knowledge. You can use it for your future plans. I think they are called Meyerrs-Briggs test or something like that.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

Actually this is sort of good. I mean it's bad that your mind is racing but you are now prepared so when something comes along and you all of a sudden say YES THIS IS IT... you will be so pumped and fired and you will force yourself to focus to execute. Right now your mind is going through a filtering process. Let it keep going. It's going through all your options. It's like letting your computer run. Don't fight it. Allow this process to occur for a while. Relax. Just say to yourself... you will let your brain go through this process for several weeks.

In the meantime sit down where it is quiet. No books, no computers, no tv, and just you and a pad of paper. Do not write on the paper for at least 30 minutes. Just have it by your side.

Then envision where you are and what you have done. Then envision where you want to be in 5 years, 10 years etc. Don't write it down yet. Envision not just where you want to be financially but who do you want to be as a person. How do you envision you will be interacting with your friends and family. What do wish to accomplish in the long term. Remember your job and investments are just tools to get you to where you want to be in life. Don't get trapped into this thing where your job is your life and make sure you love what you do because you are going to be doing this for the rest of your life bologna.

Now that you have envisioned yourself, pick up that pad of paper and write down those qualities. Maybe you have a big house, or a beach home and you are financially stable and you are taking care of family. Maybe you have a girlfriend or married. Write down what it is you want.

Then put your paper away.

Do the same thing the next day... this time adding any new qualities to your life.

Spend a week doing this. There is no hurry. It's only one week.

Let me know when you're done and we'll proceed. haha

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Welcome to adult hood. For most of your early life you have people that tell you what to do, when to be where, what to read, what to study, and what to eat. Then you graduate and they shake your hand and wish you well. I think you need to step back from your grand plans and start just with you.

You probably need to get a job so that you can bring in money without putting a lot of thought into it. Then you need to focus just on you. Find out your desires and dreams. Find out your gifts and deficits. You need to learn self discipline. You will not succeed in the future if you do not get self discipline now. I used the bad things in my life to motivate me and some movie roll models(Clint Eastwood) to develop the self discipline I needed. I had to do it that way because I had no male role model. I became a strong, silent guy that was like a steam roller. Worked like a mad man to get what I wanted. You may need to go into martial arts or some other method of training to help you.

You also sound like a kid in a candy store. You are looking at the flavor of the month in business. All vehicles have advantages and disadvantages. You have been reading and experiencing a few of them so now you are better equipped to make some decisions in the future.

You are going to have to get your mind and core values straight. You are going to have to get things in writing. As JScott said, start with small stuff and develop the discipline to see it through no matter what. Celebrate your victories and learn from your losses. You can't do it all in one day, this will take time. Take it one day at a time.

I can tell you that you are spending your time on the internet because it's comfortable and safe. Commit yourself to spending only 1 hour a day on it and the rest on you. I need to do the same thing. I need to get off my butt and get some things done.

Ryan you have a passion and energy I wish I had, but you have got to get ahold of you. If you don't do it now, you will not have and maintain the success you desire in the future.

I wish you well.:cheers:

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009

Runum, very good post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

One thing I want to say is to set a small limit\goal on an activity that you want to do today. I've (only just) started to try this with writing a book and setting a minimum of writing 500 words for it a day. This has been something that I've considered doing for a while but until I had an end point for the day the task seemed way too big to tackle. Setting a point I can stop (and honestly 500 words isn't that much) makes the task seem very do-able and over time this small goal turns into something big.

Try it with anything, even if you don't see it as something that'll be profitable. Right now before you pursue anything to bring in money you need to get it out of your head that you stop on anything after a week. This will help you progress into that!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

This is how I got myself out of my own mess whenever I felt I got lost.

I spend at least once a month to do charity works and help those poor people who can't help themselves or those people who choose not to help themselves.

It constantly reminds me that I don't want to live like them.

Life is always up and down. It's your mind that tells you which one you are going. Set your mind straight. You don't want to live the low life.

PS. Guess what, I just bought the Rich Dad and Poor Dad book last night. I felt that I am just a 9 year old boy who want to start from scratch. I am start reading lesson 1. So can you!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

A couple of more points.

One of the things you need to do as you grow up is learn to honor your commitments to yourself and others. IMHO you made a commitment to the college to attend classes. someone paid for those classes. You need to get yourself in that seat and finish those classes. You may not want to take any more classes after those. It would be a first step toward self discipline, doing something even when you don't want to. You will do a lot of that when you are developing businesses.

The second thing is to learn yourself. Instead of saying yes to everything, learn what you like and don't like. Learn what you will and won't do. Do not agree to to something you won't do. Do not make promises you won't keep. And, this was tough for me, learn the difference between something that sounds like something you would do and something you would absolutely do. I have learned to listen to but not do those things that sound good but I really wouldn't do them.

Just more of my .02 cents. Good luck.:cheers:

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

I can't make up my mind on my fastlane vehicle(s), I'm incredibly overloaded with information that I can't make sense of. I'm so lost. It's rather pathetic that I'm going to quit before I ever really start.

I have no guidance, no support system, no idea where I'm headed, no idea what I'm doing. There are no rules, no one to be accountable to but myself, and that's no motivator. I'm starting to lose faith in myself.

And just as always, I'm making excuses. I'm so pissed at myself, I get this far, and for what? to quit.

In a sense, this a plea for help/guidance. I just need to know where to start. The little bit of control that I had I seem to have found in my life seems to be slipping away again.

This seems to become a pattern. I build up the motivation and the drive, I have nothing to be accountable for, and I get overloaded or quit, and watch it slip away. I skipped 4 out of 5 of my first classes already this semester in the last two days.

Well Ryan, I was going through something similar like this 2 years ago.I found this forum 2 years ago and I wanted to get in the Fastlane. I knew nothing, I was arrogant, I was obnoxious. I was forcing myself to do things, in hopes to make it big. It was not something I was passionate about and my results were 0. While this story can go on and on. I will shorten it and say that what you are doing now is testing out new waters. You are searching for the path that is fit for you and your interests. As Greg (Runum) has stated above, since you have already commited to something, you cannot just bail on it. I hated school 2 years ago, all I wanted to do was come up with an idea and just do it. Well, it didnt turn out that way. As my mother told me multiple times. "Dont Force It! Your Idea Will Come to You." My mother was right and my idea did come to me, it came almost 2 years later but I was prepared for it. I also think that you should finish this year, do your best and build up a habit to work harder. Even though I am going through with my product, my grades aren't suffering. They are actually at an all time high. (No gloating intended.) I have created a balance in my life, where I can set my school goals and my personal goals apart and work on them with stellar performance.

One more thing- Take a day off, when you actually can. On a weekend lets say, and seperate yourself from the outside world. Find a spot in nature, it could be a park, it could be a forest, but spend an day there in complete silence. Just Think. Think about your goals, your ideas and probems. Nature is a great way to get away from it all and create a fresh start for yourself.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

One more thing- Take a day off, when you actually can. On a weekend lets say, and seperate yourself from the outside world. Find a spot in nature, it could be a park, it could be a forest, but spend an day there in complete silence. Just Think. Think about your goals, your ideas and probems. Nature is great way to get away from it all and create a fresh start for yourself.
++SPEEED

You will be amazed at how clearer your mind comes if you spend time in nature. It is easy to get caught up in the whirlwind. Heck I still do from time to time. I have to step back a bit, go for a nice long walk in the woods, maybe find a rock to sit on that overlooks a nice view maybe.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

Your problem is that your young. (I know stay with me)

Your young and you don't know whats what. You don't really know yourself or what you want to do.

Step back, you need to figure out who you are and what you want to do before starting a Fastlane venture.

Their are many ways to do this. I just started getting jobs or exploring areas where I thought I may want to make a career. I sold houses for a couple years, worked on boats, and looked into investment banking. Finaly settled on building. You may be best served by getting a job right now, getting a job you end up hating can be very good at this point in your life. The idea isn't to start a career, its to get different experiances.

Another option would be to join the armed forces to sort yourself out. A lot of very successful people I know started out in the military.

I would advise you to take your time and work on sorting yourself out first. The rest will come.

D

DeletedUser394

OMG I hate lamborghinis!

So, I'm in the process of watching the Tony Robbins video that John posted, and he was talking about having goals that should excite you and that you would have that burning desire to pursue. I stopped the video to ponder what he was saying and I realised that one of my biggest and most costly goals was a lamborghini/ferrari...and it hit me that I don't care about either one of those!

Delving into my feelings deeper, I noticed that I pretty much hate all cars. Why? Because I find them restricting, and impossibly hard to maneuver around traffic.

Even I didn't expect what happened next... I LOVE motorcycles. The freedom, the maneuverability, the vulnerability... having your girlfriend squeeze you just a little bit tighter around the waist when you accelerate...priceless.

So here I am, absolutely shocked that I am 1000000000000000x (infinitely) more excited about having the goal of owning a $10,000 motorcycle, compared to a $300,000 car. That's just crazy!

I have yet to think of a viable reason for why I would want to own an expensive car, and I doubt I will...and it feels great!!!!!!

So now I can put aside that huge hurdle, as owning a luxury car does not even get me close to excited. In fact I couldn't care less.

I've never taken time for myself like this, just to think about what I WANT out of MY life. I've always thought I wanted extremely expensive things, but as it turns out, that's not who I am... (I seriously can't believe it, and I can't convey how good this feels)

These are the things that get me truly excited;

-Reading good books
-Spending quality time with friends
-Spending quality time with girlfriends (I'm not a player...I just don't have one at the moment lol)
-Exercise: Parkour, Martial Arts, Tricking
-Poker
-Motorcycles
-SeaDoos
-Ariel Atom (Legal street race car...$50K)
-Dancing silly and singing terribly to music (Ie I like to make people laugh)
-Watching cool/inspiring movies
-Being out in nature (I went hiking with friends in the summer time...had soooo much fun and yet haven't done it since, even though there was a few more months without snow)
-Walking/playing on the beach

I realized also that the prospect of a huge house or penthouse doesn't really excite me. If I live in a house that's less than 1000 sq. ft. I'd truly be just as happy. I don't want to spend my time indoors anyway, I want to live and experience all that I can.

This is really awesome, as the things that truly get me excited (that I posted above) don't actually cost that much money. Whereas my old "goal" (that had little thought put into it) was $15,000,000 in assets to put into passive income, I realize that to TRULY be happy, I won't need even 1/2 of that! Probably not even 1/4!

So what I'm saying is, my new "sum" goal is going to be so much less daunting and more attainable faster.

Of course, once I do reach my goal (tentative at 3M,,,but I really need to think about it), I will still grow my money to the point where I can afford the lambos and the huge houses...but I'll already be as happy as I can be, so those toys will just be added bonuses.

This is truly awesome craziness that has just transpired.

Back to Tony :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

It's good to see you learning and adjusting Ryan. You will need a lot of interum goals as well. You need small victories all the time to keep you going.

D

DeletedUser394

For sure, I'm open to the idea of getting a job, or even multiple jobs/stages in fields of interest that I might want to pursue as my fastlane venture.

Yep, I'm starting with small goals, no matter how infantile and I'm proud to say that my first few goals include;

Sleeping when I'm supposed to be...at a regular time. I used to wake up cold at 5:30 am everyday (even weekends) to go for a jog regardless of the weather...now I can't even get up by 10:00am

Getting ready (shower, shave, clean clothes, etc) so that I'm best prepared for everyday, even if I have nowhere to go.

Keeping my room and the house in general clean, so that I'm not burdened by clutter.

Goals to tackle in a week or so, once I adjust with the first few;

Attend every class, unless I'm really sick
Eat healthy, all the time
Workout to a schedule

After those;

I'll deal with business (including job opportunities)

delerben

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2010
bend oregon

You are not alone as I am right there with you but I am really taking action to correct a lack of focus in 2010. So far so good. The good news is that I am getting more focused is doable.

Colbehh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 7, 2008

Don't feel alone man. I'm in this position too. I am trying to finish school even though its a grind for me everyday. I've got my eye set on doing deals, but I get so OCD about the idea and every detail I get burned out. I also feel like I can't talk to my peers about any of my ideas or goals because well, let's face it they're cookie cutter students. They're all worried about their careers while I just want something that I somewhat enjoy and make enough money to save and pursue other interests.

I also feel you on the car issue. I used to think that I really wanted a Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche but I realized one of my dream cars since I've seen them are the Infiniti G35s. I absolutely love them.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA

would it make you feel better to know that there are those of us in our 30's and 40's who feel like this? you still have multiple opportunities to learn, to try, to fail, we are almost at our last leg, and we still feel hopeless. I envy the young. :) Lots of great advice have been given here, all I can ask you is to just start doing. when you start doing, start small, but think BIG. learn to finish projects. develop skills, either learn technical skills, and find a small sales job to hone your sales skill. at the end of the day, you are going to have to sell your idea/products to make that money. Good luck buddy.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ

Good old Tony Robbins! :coolgleamA:

As others have attested, I too am in the same boat, it's amazing that it's so much easier to give up and let the world control you instead of fighting to control the world around you. It looks like you have taken the first step though and have adjusted your goals.

A good song that I have been listening to quite frequently the last few weeks(in addition to many more with the "live each day like your last" motif) is "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback. Basically it's about taking all the chances you're scared to make b/c you might not have a tomorrow to make them.

I can tell you now the most important steps you can take are to

1) get rid of any and all material/emotional clutter that you do not need

This is difficult to do, however, it will pay off big time in the end. An example of this was I sold my car a couple weeks back, I owned it for over 9yrs and put much blood, sweat and tears(as well as money) into it, however it was holding me back and I knew if I had to invest another dime or minute into it it would keep me from having what I truly want(freedom and, well, a Porsche) so now I am driving my mom's car, but also need to find a replacement so I've set my sights on looking outside the box and finding a nice econo-box for less than $1k that gets me from PtA to PtB. There are plenty of other things I'm selling/donating/pitching, but the car so far has been the most significant.

2) set the small goals and add to them after you've accomplished them

This seems to be the #1 piece of advice, it's a lot like the "how do you eat an elephant?" - "one bite at a time". In addition, trying out Parkinson's Law as discussed in the Four Hour Workweek which is shortening deadlines to promote taking action, something that I subconciously did a LOT in college, lol, I was the master of doing 2-4 week projects the night b4 they were due :coffee:

I could go on and on, but it looks like you see the light, hang in there and keep fighting, life can be both challenging and fun and remember:

"There is no difference between a pessimist who says it's hopeless and does nothing and an optimist who says it's gonna be alright and does nothing, either way, nothing happens"

So go from this moment with an attitude that things can change if you make it change and good things will happen, on that note, I need to take my own advice and take action in spending quality time with my family :cool:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

This is a great thread. Love watching the process. :smxB:

I know this may sound strange and I am not a millionaire but I do know what success is and have been successful at many things in my life. But success isn't really a moment in time. It's not like one day you wake up and you are now successful.

Let's talk about sports. I played sports a lot and was very successful at it. I didn't wake up one day and I was successful. It may appear that way because maybe we finally beat a team or made it to the playoffs. If it wasn't for all the little things you did all season long then you would not have won the big game.

It's running your a$$ off when you didn't want to.
It's practicing in the rain even when you wished it was sunny.
It's eating right and going to bed early all year.
It's working out at the gym when your friends are off at the mall chasing chicks.
It's doing all the extra hard work that makes you successful.

What is happening Ryan is you are focusing on big goals which is good. But you are sort of losing focus on the road map. You are looking at winning the big game but not focusing on all the little things you need to do. There are many ways to get to where you need to be. None of them really look pretty. So your brain is sorting it all out. It gets overwhelming. But you aren't really completely lost.

What you need to do is say ok what can I do RIGHT NOW to get me closer to my goal. What can I do RIGHT NOW that will increase my chances of being successful. The athlete will reach for the apple and not the brownie RIGHT NOW when he is hungry. Is he successful? No. But he is becoming successful. It's the process. Instead of sitting down and surfing the internet for the next hour. Grab those dusty old running shoes and go for a jog. Is the athlete now successful because he jogged once? No. But he is following the path to success.

When people say step back... It means don't focus on the big picture right now. Use the big picture as bait. But write a list of all the things you can do RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT to get you closer.

For instance -

1) Finish School so I have a degree under my belt. Although you may not need it to succeed you will be better off having it than not and will some day possibly open a door for you. It's a tool, or a key, that could lead you a certain way. Don't shut doors but open them.

2) Read more books in between classes and semesters. Learn more about running a business, being successful, etc.

3) Learn more about who you are. What are your strengths? Where do your weaknesses lie? Can you improve on those or will you need to outsource those at some point in your life.

4) NETWORK. One of the biggies. Start contacting people now. Get to know as many people as you can. Meet successful people. Just like on this forum. Just build relationships.

5) Workout and eat healthy. All for the obvious reasons.

Sitting home and thinking will only lead to more sitting at home and thinking. Just focus on what is happening now in your life and always make it better. Slowly raise your standards. Each month... each year... improve... With this mentality you will be successful because you are living successfully and not just waiting for the event to happen.

Condition your mind and your body and live as if you are already successful.

:smxF:

My goal for last year was to live as if I already reached my financial goals. It was difficult because I couldn't buy the big house just because I pretended. We still had 5 years before we could afford. I close on our new house Tuesday. How on earth did that happen? It wasn't so much that I made drastic changes in my life and it's not that I am a millionaire now. There were many parts of my life, including mostly my attitude where I acted as if I had already achieved my goals. For some reason it all seemed to fall into place and this week I am moving into a home that is twice the square feet. I have no idea why or how but we had the money and we made it work. We didn't get discouraged and in fact I got a lot of help from people on this forum. Was it because of just me? I surrounded myself with successful people which is part of the process and I was able to obtain information that was crucial to me and my family succeeding in getting that home.

Am I now successful? No not really. But I need to step up my standards, as Tony Robbins would say, and continue to live successfully. It's all the small things that add up.

So Ryan, I would suggest pulling back from the larger picture and worry on making just small simple goals that will improve your life today. Don't make drastic changes like quit school, or buy a business or burn your house or whatever. Just continue your path and look for small areas. You will be amazed. You may say but I want big changes. And all I say is, that big changes may happen if you force them but if you aren't conditioned it will be for the worst.

It's like going to that big game and not having practiced or worked out or eaten right all season. You will have big changes but you will lose the game. The big changes happen when you improve on your small things. It will happen. give it time.

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI

I think you're lost cause right now, you're trying to figure out where you can make money the fastest and nothing more.

What do you really enjoy doing? What is your (wait for it)......passion?

May sound corny, but you need to love what you do, to do it well. Not to mention, if you're gonna use this as your vehicle to millions you're going to be doing it a hell of a lot, so you better enjoy it.

So I would suggest you look at your problem from another angle.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

^that's my problem right there. I don't know what I love do to. It seems I am a jack of all trades, but a master at none.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

I feel like this all the time as well. I have tried a few different things with varied success, but always feel that they weren't the right one.

Did wholesaling properties, but found it wasn't the path I thought it would be.
Did / doing affiliate marketing, but have only had small success.

At least I am learning something from each one that I will be able to use later.

Here is what I find interesting: A lot of us on this forum are in the same exact boat. I have seen numerous people post in this thread alone "I have the same problem".

This makes me feel that there is an opportunity even if I don't know what it is yet. Is there something we can do to help each other get out of this stage and get closer to success?

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI

Maximus, what's the first thing that pops into your head when you wake up in the morning? For me when were busy, I absolutely love having a kitchen or bathroom reno to go to. They're truly fun for me. I get even more excited when i'm getting out of bed to do something with one of my own properties.

There are other fun things in my life, but these things definitely get me out of bed with a smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!