The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How bad do you want it? Enough to go "all in?"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How bad do you want it? Enough to go "all in?"

goingforit.jpg

One of the biggest decisions I made in my life was one that had nothing to do with business, money, or the internet. It was one that changed my life forever. It was my choice to move from Chicago to Arizona. While a difficult choice in logistics, it was simple to make in spirit.

That simple decision changed everything. My outlook. My motivation. My mind. My circle of friends. My metamorphosis from young adult to adult. Elimination of distractions. I went all in. For you energy/law of attraction fans, living in the right place can allow you to resonate at the right frequency which fosters the art of getting things done. I can't explain this. It just FEELS right. Some of you who have made moves, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I see a lot of people here complaining about where they live. They hate it. They hate the weather. They hate the people. They hate the available jobs. They hate the city.

And yet, despite all the things they hate about where they live, they continue to live there.

WTF is wrong with you? Why stay? Here's why: Fear. Comfort. Security. My lease. My mortgage. My job. My family. My this. My that. Blah blah blah. It's always some excuse, usually, one that holds zero legitimacy.

If you don't like where you live, you have the power to MOVE.

The only thing stopping you, is you and the weak narrative you keep telling yourself. What's stopping you is your preference for comfort and security over the daring unknown. Your dreams ask you to make bold moves. Staying put and status quo is not BOLD, it's more of the same mediocrity.

I moved to AZ with $900 and a car that didn't have a functional transmission. I shacked up in a studio apartment. I was willing to wash dishes, flip burgers, and drive cabs. I didn't care.

Moving to Arizona and succeeding was MORE IMPORTANT to me than anything. I wanted it BAD. I wanted it more than being "comfortable" in an OK job that was safe and secure.

Until the pain of living in your current location exceeds the perceived pain of your "all in" move to somewhere new, you will never make the move. The fact is, I'd rather live in Arizona and flip burgers than live in Chicago making $50K/year at some mid-level job. I wanted it THAT BAD.

Question is, how bad do YOU want it? Enough to do what others won't? If not, you're falling in line with the crowd. Fastlaners step away from the crowd.

For all of you thinking about moving to somewhere new, just f*cking do it. The decision is really simple. Don't fear the logistics -- you will figure it out. Step back and stop listening to the BS excuses and faux narratives that you keep telling yourself-- they're lies designed to keep you "safe and secure".

In order to progress to a greater existence, stop the lying and start the living.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

DeletedUser2

when I wanted something so bad, I would give myself NO outs, NO excuses, I would back myself into a corner, so there was NOTHING but forward.

here is kinda an extreme example from my life, but it was by no means the only time I did something like this.

ALASKA 1991.

I was in Idaho, realizing I didn't belong in school.
when a childhood friend came to my house. He had just gotten back from alaska, where he worked in a cannery, shucking fish all day. terrible hours, horrible work, BUT he had 1 story that caught my attention. to this day I can still hear it.

He told me about 1 day he got to leave the cannery for a day of fishing, on a local boat. and the description of the landscape, the descriptions of seeing pods of whales in the oceans, everything he described had such a wonderment to it that in that moment I decided I was going to alaska, to see what it was like up there.

2 months later, I had a backpack, and a little bit of money. I hitched hiked from pocatello to Bellingham Washington, to catch the ferry. 3 days latter, I set foot in Wrangle Alaska, (because thats how far my little money could take me) with the intent of going fishing on a fishing boat and NOT working in a cannery.

So on a misty morning, I found myself as a young man in Alaska witn 10 bucks in my pocket, 2 tarps, and a sleeping bag. (not even a tent.)

I went to the store, bought a jar of jelly, a jar of peanut butter, and a loaf of bread. and started asking where I could camp.
7 miles out side of town was a place i could camp.

so I walked out there, and setup camp. opened my jars, and made lunch.

I left the jars open, and sitting on a stump. while I ate, and thought, about what to do next.
The wind was cool, the clouds, tore like cotton candy across the fuzzy mountains across the ocean. hiding the tops in scattered bits of clouds.

there was a creek near me, that ran down from the mountains at my back, and emptied into the ocean.
and there was a bear sniffing my peanut butter jar....

a bear...
yep

one of those.
about 4 fee from me was a huge bear sniffing my jar of jelly and jar of peanut butter, that I had left open, on a Huge stump....

well, since that was my last food, and my last money, and I was only 19, I determined that No bear was going to eat my last food.

so i walked up to the stump, (on the opposite side of the bear) and grabbed my jar of jelly, my jar of peanut butter, and my loaf of bread, and backed away slowly.....

lucky for me salmon was in season, and the river besides the campsite was FULL of fish.
so the bear sniffed at me a little, and then went to get some fish.

Even after that, I was determined to keep going.

I spent the next 2 weeks walking the docks, and started asking fishing captains if they needed help.
finally someone took me in, and I was on a fishing boat. (no cannery for me) and I went out fishing.

The story from there goes on for years. but it was the start of learning that if i wanted something, nothing could stop me. I just pushed past all resistance, past Bears, Past being broke, Past sleeping in the wood in a rain storm, night after night, with only 2 tarps.
past all the naysayers, and all the What Ifs in my head. I put myself in a position that I only could go forward. only could succeed. there was no other option.

When I hear people say, well I have a back up plan, I just think to myself, then your not really committed enough to go all in. your kinda sorta "hoping" it will work.

when I do things, there is no other option but for it to work.

THATS where I start.
everything else, is just make believe.

Good luck. Go for it, cause your going to be dead some day, and only you will have lost out on a great life, if you dont take it.

Z

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I used to live in my parents basement, now i'm living "the dream" .

5 months ago, I moved to Scottsdale, AZ with 2 other fastlaners, here is how that journey began...

One year ago, I had some savings from bartending my way through college (I got a "business degree" lmao... taught by secretaries who retired from big Corporations)

Beer And Pancakes tickets were being sold, and me being from Toronto, tickets, the plane etc. etc. used up all those savings ( I decided this was the time and place to use that money)

When I told family and friends that I was going to a business conference, they would ask questions like "are you being paid to do that? Do you know anyone there? "insert whatever self-doubting question you can here""

When I got to Scottsdale, there was immediately something magical about it. I was almost caught off guard by how nice it was.

Anyway, I had already told myself "I am never staying in Canada for another winter again". So while @ BnP I made it a point to meet everyone and scope out who else would want to live there (for at least 6 months).

Me and 3 other fastlaners formed a mastermind as soon as BnP was over, with a DEADLINE to all move there by a certain date. <- There was no screwing around here, we all had to have income and support ourselves to make it. We had strict guidelines (i.e. if you miss your goals once, you owe everyone $50, a 2nd strike was worse and a 3rd strike was getting kicked out of the group)

Now let me tell you...

Some of the punishments we had implemented were things like:

- Call out MJ on the forum (scammer, thief etc etc.) and contribute to that thread all week to lose all your reputation.

We had some crazy shit in place to keep each other in check. Personally, I won't lie, I LITERALLY was in my parents basement (depressed, tired etc.) for 6 months leading up to our move to Scottsdale. (I'm an extrovert by nature, so keeping me locked up like a dirty troll in a basement was like hell on earth for me ... top that off with the stress from building a business)

The Move.

Time finally caught up, and we had all done it. We had income/saved up/whatever the f*ck you had to do so you could make ...

"Project Scottsdale"

There was an up-roar in Toronto.

"wtf? why are you doing that?"

or...

The #1 question I got from 80% of the people in Toronto was:

"Boris, how on earth did you pull that off?"

My answer was always the same: I bought a plane ticket, I got an apartment and I made sure that my business was online. (Although on the surface this is true, nobody see's the connections I made to put myself in the position. The money I spent, the friendships I built, the failures I went through etc. etc.)

I
was totally suffocated in Toronto. I dropped 95% of the people there (sometimes going the extreme is the only way to cut out the noise so you can hear clarity). - my decision was re-enforced when only 1 of my friends actually came to visit me, although all of them promised they would come lol.

Now I could have worried about stupid shit like: do I need a work visa? what do I say at the border? how long can I stay there? blah blah blah. I googled the legalities and I asked guys who do what I wanted to do for advice (shoutouts to @Jonleehacker for the tips on how to pass the border without problems)

Once you truly make a real decision, all the petty things that usually come up get obliterated by determination and problem solving. (make things a must and they will happen)

How does it feel to "live the dream" ?

It feels amazing, but it's not what you think it is.

It's still a 50/50 game no matter how you put it. That means, 50% of the time you are on a high and 50% of the time you are at a great low. Actually being totally honest, that split has been closer to a 30/70.

So it actually sucks then?

No, the point is you have to work extremely hard if you want to achieve your goals. On, the flip side, to have freedom and enjoy the process, takes 100X less then what most people think.

What does that mean?

Well, I don't have a boss, my balcony view looks like an exotic resort, I am in an environment with other entrepreneurs and I live in a Posh area with a great nightlife, weather, scenery and tons of attractive women.

Yet, all of that costs me ~$1500/month...

To most people that is absolutely shocking. However, I wear wife beaters 24/7, wear busted up sneakers, don't wash my hair (hell I don't even own a blowdryer for that matter) and my material possessions consistent of a bed and a standing desk.

Also, me and @JasonR work 16 hours a day everyday. Side-by-side, so there is no hiding or messing around. If one guy is messing around, he is told so. If the thought of messing around pops up, you just look over at the other guy and it gets obliterated.

Lastly, here are the perks and con's of Project Scottsdale:

Perks Enjoyed Thus Far

- Met an astounding number of fellow entrepreneurs and fastlaners (many of whom I now call very good friends)
- Enjoyed late night poker games with the members from this forum
- Took trips to exotic places with fellow fastlaners (some of them being from different countries who came to visit)
- Co-Hosted The 2014 BnP Event
- Visited Walter White's House
- Went to Vegas for My Birthday and New Years (where i got to walk down the strip alone at 8am while it was still closed, so there where no cars or people, just me walking on it alone - surreal feeling)
- Got invited to exclusive parties by 3 billionaires
- Had lots of fun with girl's that frequent scottsdale and ASU nightclubs
- Have the luxury of relaxing at the spa,pool, gym and sauna when needed
- Gained back 15 pounds from being extremely skinny (due to illness) and getting back into awesome shape
- Am part of a special "tank" you might find around the INSIDERS section ;)

but, on the flip side

- Met a few un-ethical people that I had to cut out of my life
- Got told to F*ck off 100's of times while cold calling for one of my businesses
- Got told my business sucked badly by some of my mentors
- Lost ALL of my income the day before my birthday
- After building up my income again, I AGAIN lost all of it in 1 day (So i almost went bankrupt twice)
- Swallowed my pride and killed one of my businesses (because I realized it couldn't scale after doing everything possible to scale it)
- Swallowed my pride again and killed a second business (there was no demand for it)
- Invested money into 1 project that tanked badly
- Got recruited into 2 start-ups (1 of them we failed at miserably, the other one I didn't even go into because of proper due diligence - even though it sounded like a dream come true on the surface)
- Had to wake up with no income, 2 failed businesses and a project that tanked (this was gut wrenching, the only thing I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and never come up for air... it's in these moments where you have to step up or go home)
- There wasn't a day where anything went smooth, constantly putting out fires (broken promises, campaigns don't perform, direct-mail letters get lost etc. etc.)
- Feeling lonely after war battles that don't go you're way
- Got rejected by tons of girl's that frequent Scottsdale and ASU nightclubs
- bing eating causing nausea, bloating and headaches for days from cheat meals that turned into cheat days

It's been a while since I posted, but I caught this thread and wanted to share some of the things that can happen when you put yourself out there and just do shit. Good or bad, it's all process and it makes for some very cool stories and life experiences.

So, What's next?
I'm heading to NM with @JasonR for a new adventure. Who know's what it will bring, how much meth will be sold and what war stories will be engraved into the universe. I can promise though, we won't be going small or quite, it will be a shit-show to the end.

Important:The only reason any of the adventures and experiences that I outlined above were possible, is because we made it happen. We don't give a shit what people think and we invite everyone to come have fun with us. Never take value, always give it and put yourself out there constantly. Be very vulnerable and take the blows as they come.

Attachments

• scotty2.jpg
    scotty2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Moved to Albuquerque with less than $100 to my name.
Went all in and now I'm in one of the best positions of my life.

When you want it more than you want to breathe, you shall succeed. Maybe not tonight nor tomorrow, but you WILL.
4RCt1.jpg

I can read people's dis-beliefs when I read the forum. It bugs me, because they do not realize their true potential.
0 F***s Given, go and get what you fricken deserve.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Remember, your comfort zone is just an imaginary web of subconscious implicit expectations, limitations, possibilities and beliefs that are completely wrong and not based on reality or true capabilities and possibilities. When you are comfortable, you are not growing or reaching your goals plain and simple. You will know you are challenging and expanding your comfort zone when you feel a distinct kind of uncertainty and resistance towards mental entropy and mental equilibrium; the need for things to stay the same.

Make reality your comfort zone and the possibilities are endless. There will always be a journey and life will be exciting.

Keep yourself in your comfort zone and you will never experience what life really has to offer. Keep yourself in your comfort zone and the only thing you will experience is what your fears have to offer: paralyzing inaction and criminal betrayal of your own life. Keep yourself in your comfort zone and you will never experience anything better than your best past experience. Your comfort zone will be no different than a prison cell.

What helped me get out of my comfort zone was embracing and falling in love with the intrinsic uncertainty of life and reality instead of fearing it and loathing it. The essence of life is the unknown and the challenging. The essence of life is uncertainty. And this is a good thing. This is where all of feelings of excitement come from. Once you do this, it becomes a POWERFUL motivator for action and behavior instead of choking on your own fear behind closed doors. There is a whole world out there, don't be afraid to be yourself, speak up or move across the country or take a plunge. There is tremendous richness within you that is begging to be expressed and there is tremendous richness out there in life waiting to be experienced. Do it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In L.A. I was scrambling around to keep a roof over my head, a < 200 square foot roof. I was one step away from homelessness. Less than a year later, I own a home in cash near a major city. While I'm still doing the same type of work, my expenses are much lower. I have time and focus to work on other projects.

Agreed that everything is relative. If you spend your entire week working at a job just to keep up with the bare necessities, food, housing, etc, you're not going to get far. Part of the reason I got out of Illinois was I felt it was an economic handicap. The weather, was a psychological as well as a physiological one. The point is to go somewhere where your dreams, whatever they are, are awakened and given a chance to live. Because "living the dream" is not achieving it, it's being able to go after it.

Those 3 guys that moved to Scottsdale and shacked up in a 3br apartment with 3 mattresses are going after what they want. They're "living the dream" RIGHT NOW and it has nothing to do with their bank account at the present moment, it has everything to do with the freedom to pursue the dream. You see, in order to "live the dream" all you need is the freedom to pursue it. Happiness is the result. And when money follows down the road, it only gets better.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
I think I have a pretty fun story. All of us have a back story. Something we had to go through to get where we are.

I was 22 years old. I was the youngest correctional officer at the prison I worked at. I had to grow up fast to work around all those negative people and be an authority figure. My lieutenant was excited for me because the thought that I could retire from a state job at age 42. My asian family was proud. I had made it. I had a state job with full benefits, paid leave, retirement, etc..

But I wasn't happy. I met an inmate that was always reading books. I hadn't read a book since I was 18. Years. We started talking and eventually he told me his plan was to get out of prison, use credit cards to buy inventory to sell on ebay and save down payment money to buy real estate. He was so excited to share because I'm guessing his bunk mates were uninterested and probably thought he was crazy.

The inmate gave me a book to borrow called rich dad poor dad. Long story short.. He got me excited and I started reading at work every day for months. I read book after book about real estate. I decided to move out of my little town and go to college in the city for real estate. That's the only way I knew to get educated.. college.

I got a cheap 1 bedroom apartment, the cheapest in town actually. Had 2 miserable months of my life with bedbugs and meth heads and all that.. but I made the first step. I quit my comfortable job and went seeking more. My grandma wouldn't talk to me because she said I was stupid for leaving a state job.

I found out that not having mom to pay bills makes life a bit harder.. I now had bills to pay!! I couldn't afford college. So I worked crappy jobs for 6-8 months to catch up. 7 eleven, sandwich shop, delivery driver. I couldn't hold a job.. finally got fired and had a realization.. I came here to learn real estate and I'm not doing real estate! So I sought out an investor to help me. To hire me. To teach me and pay me minimum wage. One found me and put me on a draw of $1600 per month and paid me $1000 per house I sold for him. I started to see his checks of $10,000 to $20,000.. omg. 6-8 months later I was reading about people doing it themselves.

I invested in $255 worth of marketing and 2 weeks later a realtor called me and said she had a house for sale that had a fire start in the garage for $20,000. I sold it within a day for $22,000. I made $2000 in less than half an hours work.. my life has been changed forever. Never would have happened if I didn't take that leap, get out of my comfort zone, and make the move. Take the leap of faith!

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Great post MJ and everyone else.

To anyone reading this for inspiration. The biggest take away I would say is DO SOMETHING! If you're not stretching beyond your reach you can never grow and achieve anything.

Moving can mean from one house to another, one state to another, moving from your comfortable job to an uncomfortable start up, or just moving your mindset.

If you're happy where you are then travel to another country for a few weeks (it's cheaper than you think to fly around the world) and it will open your eyes. Take chances and opportunities (well calculated of course) and see what happens!

I hate to include my own story but it's the only frame of reference I have. While I was in college. I was comfortable, comfortable taking classes, doing well, promising myself that I'd find a comfortable job, a comfortable house, and a comfortable income....one day. Then a friend of mine told me she was traveling to Japan to visit her finance I had some money (not a ton) and offered to go along so she wouldn't be alone on the trip. Once we got there we parted ways. For the first time in my life, I was out of my comfort zone, I was in a country I barely spoke any of the native language (I studied as much as I could within the 5 months before the trip) I didn't know anyone or anything (just enough to respect their customs). So for a month I just traveled throughout that wonderful country. I met people from all over the world and tagged along to different locations with new friends and unfamiliar situations. Even had the opportunity to sit down with a survivor of the Hiroshima a-bomb and hear his story and many others. Ended up meeting a great woman who was a foreign ambassador (fastlaner, spoke 5 languages, real estate all over the world, etc) , she offered for me to stay with her when I was in Tokyo. So I did! In her penthouse apartment no less. She taught me a lot during my short visit. To bring a long story to a short close. On the flight back, as I looked out the window leaving Japan, I had the realization that I was in fact, not the same person who arrived just a month before. I had grown, it's hard to explain, but it was at that moment I realized I could do anything I wanted to, as long as I went out and did it.

I ditched the idea of a comfortable job, comfortable life, and started my journey for an EXTRAORDINARY LIFE. You can too. Just do something!

G

Guest12120

I have to say the move to the US was definitely the most important decisions of my life.

Early in 2005 I received the right to reside in the US (through a Green Card lottery). I didn't really have to leave Poland but couldn't pass up on the opportunity. I decided not to take any money from my parents, sold my laptop, bought a one way plane ticket and with $500 in my pocket moved to Florida. Moving is not as hard is you thing.

If I managed to do it without any money, family or connections so can you.

I only wish I had the mindset I have now when I first moved here.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been all in since I sold my Mustang back in August, along with everything else I didn't really need

A sure sign of "all-inness"... It shows your long term vision has become more important over short-term distractions and gratifications.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I totally agree with what you are saying here MJ, but I am trying to figure out if me doing a sudden move would be irresponsible. See, when I was single with no kids it wasn't an issue - I could just sell everything and get out of Dodge. Now, I have two little ones completely dependent upon me and I am blessed enough to be able to work from home enough to survive but am still struggling with how to be able to stay home with them and support all of us in a cross-country move. I desperately want to move - I am in Missouri right now, so you as an ex-Chicagoan know how much it sucks here: the bugs, the humidity, ugh! I am driving a piece of crap car that functions but you are right in a way that I do have some fear holding me back. I guess the biggest thing is that I want to be able to be with my kids as well as work from home but I don't know how to switch just yet from self-employed (trading time for money).

Going all-in doesn't always mean moving across country but in my case it did.

I'm 42 years old, married with two kids still at home. I strongly believe that if we stayed where we were we would likely never achieve the level of success we're striving for.

In fact, I felt it would be irresponsible to stay.

We moved 1,800 miles across country, in a 1997 Chevy with 250,000 miles on it. It took us 3 days travel time because we were pulling a trailer that was weighed down way too much. Once we arrived we stayed in a Motel 6 for two weeks before signing a lease on an apartment.

But you know what? It never felt so good to be so out of our comfort zone.

I knew it was a decision that will forever positively impact my family.

The atmosphere here blows me away. There is something about living here that make me more motivated, productive and happy.

I'm surrounded by like-minded friends and we all want each other to succeed.

My heart is not as heavy (some will understand what I mean). My mind is clearer. I'm way more focused.

It was not easy to come to the decision to move. It was out of our comfort zone. We had fear and came up with hundreds of negative what-if's and reasons not to move. We also wondered if it was irresponsible.

It boiled down to this...

Was I willing to let fear, "reasons" and self doubt hold us back?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Having just moved to the Phoenix area just a few days ago this post resonated with me more than you know. The logistics seem to work against us but this is something we wanted and wanted bad. It has not been a smooth transition by any means but we're committed to making this work.

It just FEELS right.

Yes, it just FEELS right. I can't explain it any better than that. We already know without a doubt that this is one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Why stay? Here's why: Fear. Comfort. Security. My lease. My mortgage. My job. My family. My this. My that. Blah blah blah. It's always some excuse, usually, one that holds zero legitimacy.

We had many "reasons" to stay in Indy. The biggest one was our 6 year old grandson. We will miss dearly but all the more reason to acquire success here so we can visit him anytime. (I can't express strongly enough how difficult it was for us to 'leave' him.)

I moved to AZ with $900 and a car that didn't have a functional transmission. I shacked up in a studio apartment. I was willing to wash dishes, flip burgers, and drive cabs. I didn't care.

Haha, sounds familiar.

For all of you thinking about moving to somewhere new, just f*cking do it. The decision is really simple. Don't fear the logistics -- you will figure it out. Step back and stop listening to the BS excuses and faux narratives that you keep telling yourself-- they're lies designed to keep you "safe and secure".

This ^

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
There is definitely something to moving to a new place. For years I aspired to reach levels of success unthinkable by my family and friends I've known for years. Besides being hard enough learning how to think and act like a successful person, it's hard to go against the social and economic currents that you've known all your life. And five months straight each year of cold and grey surely wasn't helping either!

I took a leap and moved to Southern California. I love the weather and the beach. There are a lot of people with a lot of money, or at least the appearance of being wealthy. Much much more than I had ever seen before! It really opened my mind to the possibilities of what I could do and have if I invest my time and abilities in the right things!

I started meeting wealthy people and quickly realized they had a very different perspective about time and money than the poor people I grew up around. I have not yet reached a high level of success, but am now making progress after years of little to no progress at all!

Do it!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Today my facebook newsfeed was flooded with weatherchannel and weatherbug screenshots from friends of mine in my hometown and midwest. All of them whining, moaning, complaining and cursing the weather.

Here's just one of those screenshots taken from my newsfeed...

EoZn1WWl.jpg

It all reminded of a story I heard many years ago...

A traveling salesmen was passing thru a small country town and stopped at a mom and pop convenient store to pick up snacks and a drink. The place was an old building with old wooden floors and owned by a man well into his later years.

As the salesman shopped he noticed a bloodhound laying in the corner. Every once in a while the dog would let out a soft howling moan. The salesman came to register to pay. As the store owner and the man made small talk the bloodhound let out another painful moan. This prompted the salesman to ask, "What is wrong with your dog? Is he okay? He seems to be in some kind of pain."

The gentlemen said, "Oh, there be a nail that sticks up out of the floor board over there and he happens to be laying on it".

"Well he's surely in some pain. Why don't he just get up and find another place to lay down?"

The store owner thought for a second and said, "Well, I reckon it just don't hurt that bad."

If you find yourself not fully committed and doing whatever it takes to make a successful business maybe it just don't hurt that bad.

BTW, I'm thoroughly enjoying our decision to moving to a warmer climate. The 7 day forecast...

TC79xFq.jpg

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I've been all in since I sold my Mustang back in August, along with everything else I didn't really need (Fender and Ibanez guitars and Marshall stack) and moved in with the girlfriend to make both of our lives easier and more consolidated. Not only am I beginning to reap the rewards, but I know for a FACT that without having the "all in" attitude I would have never pushed myself to this level. Has I not taken the plunge a little more than 6 months ago to quit my job and just "wing it" at what I was already skilled at with $10k backing me I would have never gotten to that point. Had I not read TMF the year prior and begun planning and enriching my knowledgebase and skills for all of that time up to that point I would still be out in the elements cleaning gutters, fixing roofs, and risking my life day after day.

I am proud to say that because of taking risks, and putting everything on the line, I am a much more capable individual who can get shit F*cking done. One phrase that I do not use is, I can't. If it is within the realm of physics and there is a slim possibility that I can pull through, I will. Whatever it takes, I will succeed. There is no doubt in my mind, and I'll be sure to reinforce that fact to all of those around me.

Make it happen.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If my ideas don't make sense, consider reading some books - preferably ones written a MINUMUM of 200 years ago

Consider learning how to express yourself in a way that doesn't come off as arrogant, egotistical or elitist. Seriously, your post does not read like intellect. It reads like an incoherent mishmash of scrambled thoughts blurted out via your keyboard.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
This post would make an EXCELLENT blog post.

I'm actually moving in less than 2 weeks, and most of my friends and family don't get it when I explain why.

Who cares. :)

Oh man - what a blast from the past!

Moving to Phoenix was the single best thing I've done at that time. Completely changed my life (and you can read about the story here).

Now I'm living in Bali in SE Asia, running and growing businesses - life completely changed.

Living in the island of the Gods and making money. Hard to say that life could be any better. :)

Thread bump!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I'll jump on board - Drove 2,500 miles from the East Coast to Phoenix with $250 and never looked back. The worst case scenario that you picture in your mind never happens.

And yeah, don't drink the water here. I've been here 18 months and have not once drank tap water.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Time for a bump. What's stopping you from going all in?

I read a few posts here lately where it seems the poster is more into finding excuses as to not doing something. A "out of their control" reason behind their failure.

How bad do you want it?

@Iwokeup recently had an epiphany that... "If it's to be it's up to me". He really "woke up".

He got tired of the excuses from the people he's been trusting and relying on. He got tired of accepting those excuses as why he's not further along. Started taking matters into his own hands and made more progress in one day than others did in weeks/months. He acknowledged that it was fear holding him back.

Be honest with yourself. What's holding you back?

I know this thread talks about moving and changing your environment but it really speaks to getting out of your comfort zone and going all-in.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
When I hear people say, well I have a back up plan, I just think to myself, then your not really committed enough to go all in. your kinda sorta "hoping" it will work.

Zen told us this exact story a couple weeks ago at dinner. I needed the boot to my a$$.

I quit my job yesterday.

Thanks Z.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I just went all-in today. Quit my job that was supposed to start in November.

Dad is very disappointed, tells me I'm setting a bad example for my younger brother who is already iffy on college. Gave me a calm speech about how my decisions affect more people than myself. Makes me feel like crap but that comes with the territory. He'll be proud one day.

Taking an idea to my entrepreneurship professors over the next couple weeks. Even if it doesn't take me anywhere I'll have gotten experience. Learning to write copy as well, it's crazy how much stuff goes into it. Very interesting.

My avatar is a constant reminder of where I want to be, Camelback Mountain, AZ. I will be moving there in 4 months, and will climb to the top every morning. Even though I'll climb to the top every day, there will be one day that is different from the rest. When I can look out and know I've made it. That moment will be the best moment of my life.

See you at the top my friends!

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
I got so fed up by my hometown a few months back and decided to make a change. So I packed my bag and moved to a new country. I had no friends here and I needed to start a new life. I was nervous. Especially a few days before the move. But you know what? The pain of staying in my hometown and never grow, that was enough for me to move my a$$.

What can I say, 5 months later and I'm loving it! The biggest thing for me was that when I got my own place and had to face this new culture and really taking care of myself (no parents or friends to call), I grew as a person. Even more, I felt more responsibility for my own life and that made me work on my goals hard for the first time in my life.

All I can say is that if you want to move. If there is even a tiny bit of you that wants to move to a new city (especially if you're a single young guy like me with nothing to lose) then F*cking move!
It can do wonders with your work mentality! And growing as a human being!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thus if your core belief is that someone or some absurd DEITY, especially including GENDER EQUIPMENT? somehow "made" all this, well, then you are NOT likely to MOVE ANYWHERE! - including income-wise, geographic-position-wise, THINKING-CRITICALLY-wise, worldview-wise, or any other "uncomfortable" CHANGE (which is the ONLY thing that is truly permanent - change aka MV'ing aka INFINITY !! (snickering)

I couldn't disagree more. At least that's not my personal experience. I guess I could say that's not the personal experience of several other members here I know. (Trust me when I say, I'm being polite here.)

As for the rest of your post... WTF? :cookoo:

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
One down, 4 to go! (If i DON'T get at least FIVE WTF responses for ANY posting, then I'm NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH) - I get called a total certifiable nutjob about once per HOUR, so I'm used to it. If my ideas don't make sense, consider reading some books - preferably ones written a MINUMUM of 200 years ago - my favs are the ones that are even older 1000 to 2000 years old. Find someone who's read a few thousand books and ask for their top 10 list (I've done this with DOZENS of people I respect and it's powerful) - another great "shortcut" to knowledge - buy the entire archive of bizsum.com and read all 2750 books - it only takes a couple of months - and you'll be LIGHT YEARS ahead of all business owners save for about 20 on earth :)

Wow, they must have like to capitalize WORDS alot in those old books. As someone who claims to be an intellect, I find it amusing that the purpose of your writings are to get "WTFs" from others. You would think that with all that wisdom would come the desire to teach and enlighten others.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
well holy shit... what a difference 12 hours makes. I have been offered a 6 figure salary to move across the country to Puget sound!

been reading and talking and verifying and it seems totally legit.

since I am all in I guess I am going to Washington!!!!!!!!!

(its not really a job so much as its like a massively huge opportunity to do insane things...)

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I just went all-in today. Quit my job that was supposed to start in November.

Dad is very disappointed, tells me I'm setting a bad example for my younger brother who is already iffy on college. Gave me a calm speech about how my decisions affect more people than myself. Makes me feel like crap but that comes with the territory. He'll be proud one day.

Taking an idea to my entrepreneurship professors over the next couple weeks. Even if it doesn't take me anywhere I'll have gotten experience. Learning to write copy as well, it's crazy how much stuff goes into it. Very interesting.

My avatar is a constant reminder of where I want to be, Camelback Mountain, AZ. I will be moving there in 4 months, and will climb to the top every morning. Even though I'll climb to the top every day, there will be one day that is different from the rest. When I can look out and know I've made it. That moment will be the best moment of my life.

See you at the top my friends!

Said in this post I'd be moving to AZ in 4 months, but I'm in Phoenix already. Got into town on Thursday, absolutely love it here. I've been up Camelback 3 times so far. Today while hiking I got into an embarrassing fight with a bee for a good 3 minutes and saw a desert spiny lizard :)

All-in and there's no turning back :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Having just moved to the Phoenix area just a few days ago this post resonated with me more than you know. The logistics seem to work against us but this is something we wanted and wanted bad. It has not been a smooth transition by any means but we're committed to making this work.

Yes, it just FEELS right. I can't explain it any better than that. We already know without a doubt that this is one of the best decisions we have ever made.

We had many "reasons" to stay in Indy. The biggest one was our 6 year old grandson. We will miss dearly but all the more reason to acquire success here so we can visit him anytime. (I can't express strongly enough how difficult it was for us to 'leave' him.)

Haha, sounds familiar.

This ^
WOW! I posted that just 10 days shy of 5 years ago.

How can it really be that long ago?

5 years ago we moved from Indianapolis.

Yesterday, I returned from a visit to Indy to attend my mother's funeral. While I was glad to be able to attend the service and to spend time with my grandson, I couldn't help but feel entirely happy that I do not live there anymore.

I dare not imagine what my life and my families life would be like had we not gone all in.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Go for it, cause your going to be dead some day, and only you will have lost out on a great life, if you dont take it.

The other day I was out with someone and they asked "Hey, how we doin' on time?"

I replied: "We've got 60 years left, let's go."

Also, thanks for the bear story, I laughed my a$$ off.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.