The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ebola in the USA... Anyone Concerned?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Ebola is HERE.
Be prepared WHEN Ebola comes to your City.
Be prepared.
BUY NOW Ebola Survival Kit !

Not really worried but I want to stay informed and NO I do not trust the information coming out of DC as to the severity. I do believe they take this very seriously and do not want a problem...elections soon, Wallstreet, etc. Too much to lose.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Ebola is HERE.
Be prepared WHEN Ebola comes to your City.
Be prepared.
BUY NOW Ebola Survival Kit !

Not really worried but I want to stay informed and NO I do not trust the information coming out of DC as to the severity. I do believe they take this very seriously and do not want a problem...elections soon, Wallstreet, etc. Too much to lose.
If you had no moral scruples, you could probably market an ebola survival kit....

Copy:

Ebola is HERE!

Are you READY?

Do you KNOW WHAT TO DO?

Please remit $9.99 to Dr. IWokeUp to receive the only Doctor-approved kit that provides EVERYTHING that you need.

Act NOW(!) to protect YOURSELF and your FAMILY.
-------------------------

Hmmm....business idea.....

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Iwokeup Yep.. Someone will market it with that spin... If they haven't already. Personally, I won't plant fear or capitalize on someone's paranoia. Just doesn't feel right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Here's what the CDC is sending to physicians (like myself) on the front lines.
@Iwokeup Yep.. Someone will market it with that spin... If they haven't already. Personally, I won't plant fear or capitalize on someone's paranoia. Just doesn't feel right.
Yep. Totally agree with you.

On another note: from the physician perspective, unless you're coming into contact with bodily fluids (blood, semen, sharing needles, poo) you don't have to worry about Ebola. Thank you MainScream Media.

Edit: I meant to add the CDC guideline/sheet but I couldn't do it.

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I wasn't worried about the bird flu. I wasn't worried about the swine flu. With Ebola, yeah, I'm worried.

No matter what the nice men in hazmat suits say, this thing is obviously a lot more contagious than they're admitting. This isn't AIDS, where you practically have to exchange semen or blood to get it. Look at that first American, Patrick Sawyer. He alone, infected 10 people before dying, and as far as we all know, he wasn't humping people on his way to the hospital.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/14/how-bureaucrats-let-ebola-spread-to-nigeria.html
"On July 25, five days after he landed in Lagos, Sawyer died. At least 10 Nigerians were infected as a result of his apparently officially sanctioned travel, including a nursing mother who had given birth at the hospital before he arrived but returned afterward for her newborn’s vaccinations..."

Quote from one of his nurses: “I never contacted his fluids. I checked his vitals, helped him with his food (he was too weak),” wrote the nurse, Obi Justina Ejelonu. “I basically touched where his hands touched and that’s the only contact. Not directly with his fluids. .."

About the dip-shit in Dallas, he knew damn well he was sick. In Liberia, he had direct contact with someone who died from Ebola. So what does he do? He hops on a f*cking plane to bring it here, probably for the "free" medical care. And our government, unlike most Western countries, still has the doors wide open, and don't even get me started on our Southern border. But all this guy had to do was lie and take some aspirin or whatever to lower his temperature, and viola! He's let right in with no quarantine period whatsoever. And then, in the hospital, sure, he mentions he's from Africa, but leaves out the little tidbit about him having recent, direct contact with someone who freakin' DIED of the disease. No doubt, he didn't want to get in trouble for that little white lie he told travel officials.

I've heard estimates that this one guy's health care is going to cost taxpayers anywhere from $250K to $1 million. And that's just one guy. Let's pretend he recovers from this thing. Who's going to pay the bill when it's ten people? A hundred people? A thousand people? Where will a kid go to get stitches when the hospitals are Ebola infected hotzones, or when the staff are utterly overwhelmed? Or when nurses and doctors stop showing up for work for fear of infecting their own families? Where will women to go deliver their babies? I know that we supposedly have "superior' health care, but even in our modern society, systems can become overwhelmed rather quickly. Even if you never get Ebola, the longterm ramifications can be pretty serious is this thing escalates.

And I'm with MJ on the bunker thing. As for government officials, they'll lie right up to the moment their private jets take off to their own private safe havens, courtesy of us lowly taxpayers.

Do I think I'll personally get Ebola? No. Do I think this is going to cost our country a lot more than anyone's letting on. Definitely, especially now that there's a precedent that we'll give free treatment to anyone able to secure a plane ride. Seriously, you couldn't make this shit up. It reads like the script of some entirely predictable disaster movie.

/Rant Off

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Concerned or not, wash your damn hands!
Working in the retail b&m industry, I can attest to how bad the bathroom etiquette is. I don't touch the doors anymore and I'll leave it at that.

G

Guest3722A

This video explains some basics on how to read and understand patents for those interested in patents. I especially like the timing of when this ebola patent application went into play in late Nov. '07... AHEM!!!!!
Of course ignore the political overtones as this is just a lesson in patent reading

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Dallas is too clean and has too good of an infrastructure. this virus thrives in a third world country that has stagnant water and no sewage system....the media and facebook murmurs have y'all frettin over nothing...

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
My unce was staying in Texas on business and just told me tonight that the first guy diagnosed a couple days ago happened less than 10 miles down the road from him. He's in the air now on his way back home thankfully

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
you guys need to chill out, adding to the hysteria. Ebola transmits through bodily fluids. The reason why they wear hazmat suits is because unlike aids, Ebola makes your projectile vomit your insides. If someone throws up on you and they have aids you have 0% chance of getting it, aids is in the blood and in seemen. Ebola is in your saliva, sweat, blood, semen, vomit, etc.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If someone throws up on you and they have aids you have 0% chance of getting it, aids is in the blood and in seemen. Ebola is in your saliva, sweat, blood, semen, vomit, etc.
Yes. Which means that if someone with Ebola sneezes on you, you're in danger of being infected. Or if some fevered Ebola patient is sweating in an emergency-room chair, and you happen to sit in that chair next, you're in danger of being infected. Or some Ebola patient wipes their nose with their hand, and uses the doorknob right before you, you're in danger of being infected. I'm pretty sure they don't have to barf in your face in order for you to be in danger.

Time will tell. And of course, I'm a Gen-Xer, and thus, more likely to be a cynical bastard at heart, so take that for what it's worth.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ebola is in your saliva, sweat

Whew! I feel much better. No one in recorded history has ever transferred sweat to a door handle, a dumbell at the gym, a gas pump handle, a buffet ladle, a shopping cart, a touch screen, a restaurant counter, and arm rest on a public chair, a ....

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a photo of the crew cleaning up the Ebola vomit outside the Dallas apartment, captured by a newscrew.

Don't think using a pressure washer is a good idea.

Hazmat suits? Naww....

These guys got everything under control.

We have nothing to worry about.

By9xCKgCMAAabwP.jpg

G

Guest3722A

Up to a 3 week incubation period. Time to figure out a way to help people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
Here's a photo of the crew cleaning up the Ebola vomit outside the Dallas apartment, captured by a newscrew.

Don't think using a pressure washer is a good idea.

Hazmat suits? Naww....

These guys got everything under control.

We have nothing to worry about.

By9xCKgCMAAabwP.jpg

I saw this on another forum where it is being discussed heavily. This picture actually freaked me out more than anything has in a long, long time. Apparently Patient Zero vomited outside his apartment when he was being removed to the ambulance. Keep in mind, the ambulance he was transported in covered in vomit, was kept in service for two days after he was in it exposing who knows how many others.

The response to the vomit was apparently photographed here - but we don't know who that guy is. Could be an apartment maintenance worker, could be a city employee. Regardless, he is not wearing a hazmat suit while pressure washing this and there is some woman just chilling while this goes on.

This photograph on top of the total and complete mishandling of Patient Zero - referencing the fact he was sent home two days previous with antibiotics even after being clear he was vomiting and had traveled from Liberia plus the fact when he arrived the second time to the hospital still nothing was being done until a relative of his in North Carolina called the CDC to alert them - I have went from being 'I don't know what to think' to 'WTF is this shit response from the government?'

Like ChickenHawk, I am a cynical GenXer...But that's what I see right now - a reason to have concern due to the total lack of appropriate response by the government.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Yes. Which means that if someone with Ebola sneezes on you, you're in danger of being infected. Or if some fevered Ebola patient is sweating in an emergency-room chair, and you happen to sit in that chair next, you're in danger of being infected. Or some Ebola patient wipes their nose with their hand, and uses the doorknob right before you, you're in danger of being infected. I'm pretty sure they don't have to barf in your face in order for you to be in danger.

Time will tell. And of course, I'm a Gen-Xer, and thus, more likely to be a cynical bastard at heart, so take that for what it's worth.
Not true at all.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with

• blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, feces, vomit, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
  • objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
  • infected animals
  • Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'll check this thread again in 4 weeks..

R

redshep

Not to be ignored, but it's not something to freak out about either (in the US.)
doyouhaveebola_revised.0.png

• "Ebola is a hemorrhagic fever. It kills about half of those who contract it. It sometimes, though not always, leads to uncontrollable bleeding. But it's difficult to contract. The only way to catch Ebola is to have direct contact with the bodily fluids — vomit, sweat, blood, feces, urine or saliva — of someone who has Ebola and has begun showing symptoms."
  • "When Ebola has edged into countries with stronger health systems, it's been stopped cold. Cases have been discovered in Senegal and Nigeria, but the countries managed to stop the spread of the disease."
  • "...while there can and will be cases of Ebola in the United States, the disease will be stopped here. Ebola is dangerous when it can overwhelm a health-care system, but it's nowhere close to being able to overwhelm the US health-care system. So if you live in America, worry about heart disease, or traffic accidents, or gun violence instead. Ebola is terrifying, but it's not likely to kill you."
source: http://www.vox.com/2014/9/30/6875459/calm-down-youre-not-going-to-get-ebola

Or...
_oKsGl-1-tm.jpg

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Yes, however we need to be diligent about containing the outbreak in other countries, if for no other reason than the virus has shown some potential for aerosolization. We don't want a million-plus hosts with the opportunity to give the virus a chance to mutate into a more transmissible form in humans. We already have some circumstantial evidence that certain strains are transmitted via aerosol in primates.

"There is considerable misunderstanding concerning the potential for aerosol transmission of filoviruses. The data on formal aerosol experiments leave no doubt that Ebola and Marburg viruses are stable and infectious in small-particle aerosols, and experience of transmission between experimental animals in the laboratory supports this [49, 5663]. Indeed, during the 1989–1990 epizootic of the Reston subtype of Ebola, there was circumstantial evidence of airborne spread of the virus, and supporting observations included suggestive epidemiology in patterns of spread within rooms and between rooms in the quarantine facility, high concentrations of virus in nasal and oropharyngeal secretions, and ultrastructural visualization of abundant virus particles in alveoli [17, 50]. However, this is far from saying that Ebola viruses are transmitted in the clinical setting by small-particle aerosols generated from an index patient [64]. Indeed patients without any direct exposure to a known EHF case were carefully sought but uncommonly found [65]. The conclusion is that if this mode of spread occurred, it was very minor.
What then were the major routes of transmission? Nonhuman primate studies [66] found conjunctival and oral routes of infection to be possible. It seems likely that the increased risk from late-stage patients [54] reflects increased virus excretion as the disease progresses, similar to that seen in monkey models [50]. Thus, mucous-membrane exposure, pharyngeal contamination during swallowing, inoculation via small skin breaks, or even infection from swallowed infectious material may all contribute to virus transmission.
http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/179/Supplement_1/ix.long

Last edited by a moderator:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
This is disturbing if true, supposedly this guy KNEW he had Ebola, and came to America to increase his chances of surviving. So he was willing to risk killing the entire world, in order to live.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...bola-US-Trip-Was-Desperate-Attempt-to-Survive

Since it worked for him, I am sure plenty more Ebola patients will come flocking to America in order to increase their survival chances.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I wonder if he was trying to make a statement.

Some people have the attitude that "If I am going to die, then so is everyone else", perhaps he is one. In the 80s/90s, lots of people with AIDS had that attitude. They told the gay Canadian flight-attendant who was "Patient Zero" that he had to stop having sex with people, because so many were coming down with a weird and deadly disease, and he told them to "F*** off."

If I understand the news reports correctly, the people the Ebloa guy came to stay with in America would not voluntarily quarantine themselves, resulting in another 80 people being under quarantine - because they were "bored". It sounds like the entire family is moronic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.