The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

E-commerce Progress: Based on 1-on-1 Amazon coaching

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
So about a month or so ago, @Eskil and @1step offered an opportunity for 1-on-1 Amazon coaching and I decided to jump on it. The details of the program are listed HERE, for those not familiar or who may have missed it originally.

Now, my intention with this thread is not only to hold myself accountable through this process, but to also offer as much insight to others who may be starting their own similar journeys.

However, I do want to predicate this by saying that while I intend to be as forthcoming as possible, I will also be adding an additional layer of filtering on my words simply because my experiences, at least in the recent past and near future, are and will be guided by the paid course that @Eskil and @1step are offering. I have no intentions of revealing the details or specifics behind the content of their coaching because that content is private to those paying for the program. However, I do believe I can still provide some valuable content without crossing that line. Where possible, I will try to point out where I am leaving things out intentionally that are directly related to the content of the coaching.

Finally, I want to remind everyone that this is a personalized coaching program. My experiences and progress vs. that of the others in the program will probably vary. I have yet to interact with any of the other nine students, nor do I know who they are or where they are on their own journey. For all I know, they could be 10 steps ahead or 10 steps behind where I sit with this today.

Because I am long winded by nature, (@Eskil can confirm, :) ) I will try to section off the content of my posts. This first post will have extra background info that many of you probably won’t care about. Feel free to skip ahead to where you find value in the post. However, sometimes this stuff can add perspective for others, so I will leave it in there.

A Quick Background About Me...

I am 36 years old and currently live in Pennsylvania with my wife and two daughters. At 22, I started my first business, a home theater / home automation company that did residential installations. My business partner and I managed and ran everything ourselves with the help one additional person whom we made a minority partner (mainly to avoid the extra costs of having employees vs. owners). We grew our sales yearly, but by choice, we never expanded our work force beyond three. Shortly after I turned 33, we merged that business into a much larger company that wanted to utilize our skill sets to help expand their service offerings in the commercial sector. I work for them currently managing a subdivision of the parent company that focuses on high end AV and Security related installations for corporate and educational clients.

At the time of the merger, I made the decision to give up control of my company to pursue what I thought would have been an improved lifestyle that would provide me with more time for my family. Now, 3 years after the merger, I miss the excitement of owning my own business. I am doing better financially than I ever have, but I can’t shake the desire to build something I can call my own and take everything I have learned from my past mistakes to create something truly exciting.

So why choose the 1-On-1 Amazon Coaching?

About a year or so ago I took a step back to look at how I wanted the rest of my life to go. I realized pretty quickly that the path I wanted to walk down didn’t include working for someone else for the rest of my life even though my current slowlane wouldn't exist without the efforts it took to create my first business.

One of the things I did was re-read TMF for some inspiration. That in turn brought me back to lurking around here and absorbing whatever knowledge I could.

Anyways, I started exploring options that I felt would allow me to create a business that would help support the lifestyle I wanted to live. But this time around things were a little different for me. I had a family to support and all of the responsibilities that came with it. Even though I know they would understand and support whatever I decision I would make, I didn’t want them to have to give up what I had worked so hard to give them. So, in turn, I have decided to build this business while I continue to work my day job.

As I set back out on the path to entrepreneurship for the second time, I found myself struggling to execute like I used to know how to. I ended up wasting time looking for the safe play and afraid to take risks. At one point I even broke out of my lurker's shell and invaded @Kak’s e-commerce progress thread trying to get him to validate things for me. Even MJ jumped in to point out to me what I was doing. At that point I figured it was time for me to put on the big boy pants. I got my ducks in a row emotionally and set aside some money so I could get started. Then, two things happened that coincided with my decision to change. First, I took advantage of a phone call with @JackEdwards. His perspective added that additional kick in the a$$ (props to @JackEdwards). Also, right around that same time, @Eskil and @1step put up their thread offering the 1-on-1 coaching.

I quickly made the decision to jump on the coaching program. I had lost so much time farting around and looking for people to put up safety nets for me that I was eager to entertain anything that would help me get back some of that lost time. Even though I was prepared to take the leap on my own, I figured if I could afford to pay someone to help me navigate through things at a much faster pace than I could do on my own, well the hell not do it?

@Eskil and @1step had a history of posts that seemed to continually add value to people on this forum. Now, being more of a lurker than a poster, I could only go off of my gut at this point. I had not established a past relationship with either of them, but they seemed like the right guys for the job. They also got some pretty good endorsements from other reputable members here. It was time for me to prove to myself that I could put up or shut up….so I sent @Eskil the money and got the ball rolling.

So what do I hope to get out of all of this?

My long term goal is to build a business that allows me to live a location independent lifestyle. I want to be able to offer my children the opportunity to see the world and experience things that they would not normally get to experience just living in western Pennsylvania or on the yearly family vacation.

I also want to build something that will add value to lives of other. How I will accomplish all of this and how all of this will play out, well, I don’t have a script for it yet. But I will get there.

I am using the Amazon coaching opportunity as a stepping stone. I am hoping to generate enough income doing this to replace what I currently make so that I can quit the slowlane job and build something that offers me control of my life. That is what I view as true the fastlane. For me, The Fastlane is not just about hitting a target number in your bank account so you can sustain a preferred lifestyle. Sure, that number is and can be a key element to achieving your goals. But as has been stated here by so many that have wisdom beyond my years, if your single goal is the pursuit of an arbitrary number then you will miss out on the true meaning of the fastlane.

So as of right now, I have decided on e-commerce is my chosen vehicle for this ride and I can’t wait to see where this ride takes me. I have a genuine interest in the process and I am hoping that as I continue to put together the pieces of the puzzle, I will meet new and interesting people, forge new relationships and begin to identify other opportunities that I can grow into.

Also, aside from the knowledge I hope to gain regarding the process, I hope to build friendships with other like minded individuals and grow with them as they forge their own path. Building a business or embarking on an entrepreneurial journey can be a long and arduous journey. Having the right people in your corner, even if it’s someone you can bounce your frustrations off of from time to time, can severely help your mental state. I am kind of hoping that when the class ends there will be opportunities for the others in the group to chat. Maybe even create a small mastermind group on Skype or something to help each other press on.

So what did you actually accomplish besides writing a really long progress post?

So for those who opened this thread hoping to find something more than the ramblings of some random internet guy, here are the details of my first month in the program…

After I filled out the sign-up forms, @Eskil reached out to me almost immediately regarding my sign up. I asked a question or two and then sent him the money. @Eskil was assigned to be my coach. Because it’s basically self-paced personalized coaching and not a set curriculum, we picked an “official” start date that worked for both our schedules and determined that our primary method of communication would be weekly scheduled Skype meetings with email conversations as much as needed in between.

Even though I had done some research on e-commerce on my own prior to contacting him, I had explained to him that I wanted to go through this process from the beginning and to assume I knew nothing about it. Which was for the most part true. In my opinion what you can learn from research does not equate to knowledge gained from action. I also wanted to learn as much as I could along the way about how these guys did things. I saw potential to fill in possible gaps in what I had done.

So with that said, the first step was to find a product to sell. During our first chat, @Eskil gave me some criteria to use when searching for a product and told me to have a list of options that we could review during our next scheduled chat. His commitment was to bring a list of a his own product ideas to share as well. So, using the criteria set forth, I organized a list of about 5-10 items for us to evaluate.

When we talked next, we went through my list and talked about a couple of his ideas as well. We then started eliminating items that he thought wouldn’t make viable options. We narrowed it down to about two or three products. (I am intentionally leaving out the details of what he shared about what he thought would make a viable product. I feel this is course specific content). I ended up choosing a product that both of us actually happened to have on our lists that met the requirements. I figured if we both came to the exact same product on our own out of the millions of products on Amazon, then that was a good sign.

From there, I started reaching out to manufacturers in China. Now, @Eskil and @1step do specifically mention in their thread that they don’t provide assistance with sourcing from China, but @Eskil was willing to be a sounding board for me during this process and offer his opinions along the way, which he did. Because they don’t cover the specifics of China sourcing in the course, I will try to cover my experiences in more detail in a future post, but there are already good posts on this forum that do discuss this as well.

After many conversations with various manufacturers from China, I started to realize that the product we chose had a potential problem. Even though it seemed to be almost ideal in terms of the criteria we used for selection, it ended up being way too expensive for me to have shipped here to the US. In looking at the product itself, I never anticipated this would be the case, but I got almost 20-30 price quotes that confirmed I was wrong.

Essentially, what I found out was that to have this shipped here via air I would be pretty much bottoming out my profit, far below the desired profit margins we wanted to achieve. The shipping costs were effectively exceeding the product costs by almost 150%. The product was not heavy, but apparently how they packaged it for shipping drastically affected pricing based on the volume of the cartons used for shipping. This appeared to be consistent with every manufacturer I talked to. Now, if this were not a course that had to be completed in 3 months, I probably would have continued to pursue this product and just have it shipped by sea. The pricing for that method was much more reasonable and put us back in our desired profit margins. But for now, I was on a timetable. At least if I wanted to keep this rolling along and learn as much as I could about the ENTIRE process from start to sale. So, I needed to adjust quickly.

We went back to the drawing board immediately and I chose another product. Because I liked the potential of first product so much, I decided to pick another product in basically the same niche with the plan that if I am able to find success in this niche and build upon it, then I can go back and take a stab at the first product at a later date. I figured once I had a successful product rolling, I could afford to wait for the first product to ship by sea.

Now, just a quick few notes about my product and niche. My niche is large. Very large as a matter of a fact. The products I am choosing within this niche are nothing special and most people wouldn’t turn their head at them if you saw them. As mentioned, I can’t really go into details here as to how we chose the product but I will say this….If you are trying to pick your own products to sell...think simple. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Yup...that’s vague. I know. But reread that sentence a few times until it clicks.

Ok, so you are one month in and all you have done is pick a product?

Well, product selection is just one small piece of the puzzle. I am not one for excuses and admit that in hindsight there were probably better ways for me to execute my actionable steps. But I am learning and those same mistakes won’t be made moving forward.

But more specifically, during that time I also:
  • opened and funded a bank account
  • opened and established my Amazon seller’s account
  • researched and established a brand name
  • did keyword research for my chosen product
  • explored and chose stock photography for branding the product
  • found and secured a domain name for a brand website
  • negotiated with chinese manufacturers (more on this soon)
  • ordered samples from several manufacturers
  • evaluated the samples and narrowed it to one manufacturer
  • placed my initial opening inventory of 100 units for testing
Now to some of you, I am sure you could look at my list and say, “hey...this could be done in like a day or two, you suck, stop wasting time!” Maybe you are right. However, some of these things and the processes associated with them were foreign to me and it took a bit of time for me to sift through things to find the value.

Admittedly, I made a big mistake during my negotiations with China. From day 1, I should have done them ALL through Skype. My problem was I chose to go the email route and that cost me WAY too much time. I probably could have shaved off a good bit of the time I spent negotiating had I done it all on Skype. I will always do it that way moving forward unless a better method presents itself. I think I didn't do it this way initially because I was never a big Skype user going into this, but that will change now.

Also, I got a little held up in the time I lost pursuing the first product. That hurt a bit. Also, I had a family vacation scheduled in there as well. I took my laptop and did some work there when the family was sleeping, but my primary focus during that time was the time I could spend with my family.

All in all I would say I am comfortable with where I am at. Could I be further along if I would have executed more efficiently? Sure. But in one month I am way further ahead than I expected I would be a month ago. Plus, I have learned a ton already...which was the goal. I can tell you for the next product I expect to execute in half the time.

So what's next?

At this point I am expecting to receive my first full order of product the week after next. Our plan is to then prep the product for sale on Amazon and work on optimizing the product listings. This is the part I am most excited to learn about and probably the most green at.

During my downtime of waiting for the first lot of products to arrive, I have some small tasks to execute and I am working on them currently. Details around those will come later.

As we progress I also hope to talk about what my expectations are going into this versus how they actually play out and any of the other challenges I will face or have faced along the way.

Please feel free to ask anything and I will do my best to answer. If you read this far I would say you probably need to go ahead and get up and stretch your eyeballs a bit. I told you I was long winded!

Thanks for reading.

Bryan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Good for you for taking action and looking for mentorship to accelerate the learning curve and benefit from experience.

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
Did not read yet.. but hooray for the update, was waiting for that stuff!

EDIT: Thanks for tips and the long read...seriously lol. All the best these upcoming months with the coaching and selling!

Last edited:

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Subscribed. Working with Bryan has been a pleasant experience, as I can attest to his drive to succeed and attention to detail.
And, the guy likes to write a lot - nothing wrong with that :)

Keep this thread alive my friend.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Subscribed. Working with Bryan has been a pleasant experience, as I can attest to his drive to succeed and attention to detail.
And, the guy likes to write a lot - nothing wrong with that :)

Keep this thread alive my friend.

I was trying to think of 2000 word response but instead I will just say "thanks' for the kind words and that I have no plans to let this thread die. Plus, I have you to keep me laser focused. NOTE - @Eskil has threatened to fly to my house and beat me with a StabylCam if I don't stay on track! (-jk of course, but that would make for an epic progress thread! )

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I appreciate this progress thread and look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Opening up and providing value back to the community through my progress thread helped me in a ton of ways. The most important being I got to meet lots of the people that I have since become good friends with. That includes Eskil who originally reached out to me from my thread as he had previously started a similar journey to mine.

I too was a lurker for awhile and you don't really, truly understand what you are missing until you put yourself out there and start posting and providing value.

Anyways, you've definitely done good work so far and made lots of progress, excited for your future.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
I appreciate this progress thread and look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Opening up and providing value back to the community through my progress thread helped me in a ton of ways. The most important being I got to meet lots of the people that I have since become good friends with. That includes Eskil who originally reached out to me from my thread as he had previously started a similar journey to mine.

I too was a lurker for awhile and you don't really, truly understand what you are missing until you put yourself out there and start posting and providing value.

Anyways, you've definitely done good work so far and made lots of progress, excited for your future.

Thanks. I am definitely learning a ton, as mentioned. There have been and still are a lot of course corrections I need to make due to unforeseen circumstances with the products (just got off of chat with @Eskil a few minutes ago and looks like we have to "dodge and weave" again) but that's all part of the process in my mind. There is already so much information I have acquired that I will use to improve upon in the next iteration.

To me, these types of lessons learned are what it's all about. If you find yourself too focused on finding the homerun product out of the gate, then you miss out on where the true value lies in what you are doing. I feel if I can perfect the process, there are a TON of viable products waiting to be found and executed on. It's kind of the old "If you teach a man to fish..." proverb. I bet you search for "process" on this forum that you will find a lot of people you should be listening to that echo that it's "all about the process."

This progress thread is also serving multiple purposes for me. As stated, it keeps me in check. It also allows me to mentally revisit everything we have done so far and bring it back to the forefront of my memory. Sometimes during a first run through of something things tend to move so fast that you forget key elements, even if you are taking great notes along the way. When I was writing all of this down, it forced me to think about everything we did from the beginning. Finally, as you stated, by putting myself out there I have a chance to have others identify with what I am doing and that hopefully lead to making new, long term connections. If I look back at how I got to where I am at today, a big part of it is due to the amount of great people that have affected my life in one way or another. When I look at how most of those people came into my life, well, a lot of it came from experiences where I would just extend myself beyond my comfort zone.

Anyways, time to put my head back down and keep moving forward. More updates soon.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
So it's time for an update. At this point I still have not received my opening order from my supplier. In my first post I also made a note of a few things I would do differently when working with Chinese suppliers and now I have a few more things to take away from this part of the process.

I doubt these lessons are anything new to those who have experience with sourcing product from China, some of these items may help those starting out from scratch. Hopefully, those people can save some of the time and headaches I have experienced. I am going to list my lessons learned directly below and then show you how those lessons came from my experience.

Lessons from China
  1. Getting Started. I now create a new email account for each product inquiry I make. I prefer to send my initial product request out via email to as many suppliers as I can find. I make my initial email to them thorough, but direct in outlining exactly what I am looking for. Once I have a bunch of responses back from potential suppliers, I sort through them and find the ones that I feel have the highest potential. From there, I engage those suppliers on Skype where I can begin to negotiate MOQ (minimum order quantities), prices, variances, etc. at a much quicker pace.
  2. Keep it Simple. If you are just doing a test run or first run of a product, try to find a manufacturer that will provide a product that is as close to what you want as possible. What I mean by this is that if Supplier 1 has features X and Y while Supplier 2 offers features X, Y and Z, don't try to get Supplier 1 to offer X, Y and Z unless you have a good reason or you know they can do it very easily. This usually lends to confusion and commitments on the part of the manufacturer that they may not be able to be deliver as you expect. This could also cause delays in getting your first order ready for shipment if they do not have the parts in stock you are requesting. (NOTE: once you establish that your product is worth exploring further, then begin these conversations with your supplier. You may also find that the first manufacturer you engage is not the one you want to stick with moving forward so no need to complicate things at this stage. Remember, the goal is to test the viability of your product as quickly as possible. MVP (minimum viable product) is a great way to do this. Brand or customize later once you know you have a winner)
  3. Keep your MOQ low for your first order. This is mainly just my opinion, but I consider this a way to reduce risk on your initial investment. MOQ's can be negotiated with almost every supplier, but you will pay more up front per item to get a lower MOQ. Go with what you feel is enough to test your first run in your market.
  4. Know what payment types your supplier accepts before you waste your time negotiating with them. Personally I think all of the options available are less than ideal. Your best bet is probably something like Escrow.com (which I found out too late) or as a backup, Paypal offers at least a little protection. These helps mitigate risk on the your side of the transaction. However, you will probably get pushback from your supplier to use these methods of payment. T/T (bank wire) or Western Union is what most suppliers want to use or will tell you is all that they accept. Once I told a few suppliers I was no longer interested in the deal because they didn't accept Paypal it was funny how quickly they came back with a Paypal address I could use. T/T and Western Union puts the money in the suppliers pocket day 1 and give you little to no leverage if you need it later. Plus it is next to impossible to get back later if something goes south.
  5. Don't force a vendor to accept Paypal if they legitimately don't accept it yet. More on this below from my personal experience, but Paypal can and will hold the funds of a new seller account up to 21 days or until they meet certain requirements. This can delay your product from shipping as most suppliers I talked to won't ship until they have the funds in their account.
  6. If you can't fly to China, ask for pictures before your order ships. Hopefully you take the advice from step 2 and are only ordering a slightly larger quantity of an exact sample they sent you. But if not, ask them to send you detailed pictures of what they are shipping before you approve shipment. This can help you catch any last minute mistakes and have them corrected.
So my experience with my supplier as it relates to the above lessons learned...

I narrowed my supplier list to three based on my responses and ordered samples from each of those three suppliers. After looking at the samples, I chose the manufacturer I felt that offered the highest quality and began negotiating through email the MOQ, price and small variances to the product I wanted to see. It took a week, due to time differences and mainly the delays in their responses to my requests to get things worked out exactly as I wanted.

Once we established the price and quantity, they told me they only take Western Union as a payment method, which I refused. I told them I was only willing to do Paypal and that it would be easy for them to set up an account with Paypal. After some reluctance, they got on board as long as I agreed to pay the higher fees PayPal charges. I was ok with simply because I was getting peace of mind through this. I am ok with risk, but I am better with minimizing my risk when possible, even at a slightly higher cost.

With the order set for 100 units on an initial run, they told me it should be a week before they would ship. However, the next day, they reached out to me to let me know that Paypal has a hold on the funds I sent due to them being a new seller's account. I was not aware of this initially or I probably would have seen this coming and avoided suggesting Paypal as a way to accept payments for this seller. They asked me to contact Paypal to try and have them release the funds or we would have to wait until the funds are released before they would ship the product.

I told them I would make an effort if they would send me photos of the product first. The supplier agreed and the products in the photo were not what I requested. So as a little background, the product I chose was designed be sold in a set of six unique smaller products with accessories. The supplier had initially tried to sell me a set of five unique products in the set, because that is what they had in stock. I pushed for six based on what I felt would sell better and put me at an advantage to the competition. The supplier agreed to do a 6 pieces set with 6 unique items and said it was no problem. But when it came down to it, they decided after I sent the money to them to instead give me the 5 unique items they had in stock and then a duplicate of item number 1 for the sixth item. They said that they could now only do the unique 6th product if I ordered 1000 sets and that having a duplicate of item number 1 was more than adequate for my customers. I also noticed in the photo that the other accessories that came with the set originally were now reduced in quality, even though we specifically agreed on higher quality accessories. When I questioned this, I was told "I checked with our engineers and even though we agreed on the higher quality accessories, they said you do not need them and what is being supplied is more than adequate."

At this point I was pretty frustrated. It was basically "bait and switch" but it wasn't worth my time trying to explain that. Instead, as calmly as possible, I told them to fix it and send me new photos or I will be requesting my money back through Paypal. The conversation wasn't that short, but I will spare you any further details.

Since my last conversation with the supplier they have already confirmed they will be able to fulfill my request by getting the 6th unique item from a partner vendor. I am currently waiting for new photos, which I was told I should have in the next few days.

Now, during all of this I decided to use my free time researching the next product opportunity and working through those details with @Eskil. I have already learned that my current product discussed above will more than likely not be something I pursue further after this first run. I will try to supply details surrounding why in my next post. However, @Eskil and I have decided that if the supplier manages to correct course and send me what I asked for then we will use these will still sell as a tool to learn more about the details behind optimizing product listings. Basically we are proceeding as planned without the intentions of a reorder.

So this post has already turned into another very long chapter in my story. I will end things here for now and try for another update as soon as I am able.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I enjoyed your detailed update. Negotiating with suppliers can be quite a pain, especially with the language barrier and lack or paypal acceptance. But the good side is look how many small lessons you learned from the experiences.

I learned right away to ask what payments they accept before wasting time with negotiations. There are too many horror stories when not using paypal or escrow.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
I enjoyed your detailed update. Negotiating with suppliers can be quite a pain, especially with the language barrier and lack or paypal acceptance. But the good side is look how many small lessons you learned from the experiences.

I learned right away to ask what payments they accept before wasting time with negotiations. There are too many horror stories when not using paypal or escrow.

Yup and to be honest, I kind of expected this. I just wasn't sure how it was all going to manifest itself. Now I know and it can be avoided next time.

Just. Keep. Moving. Forward.

soul

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 7, 2014
Really great to follow along here and learn anything I can. Out of curiosity, is this the first time you're sourcing from China and selling? When searching for potential products, did you focus on a specific niche/category, or did you search for a broad range of products to fit margin goals?

I don't mind the long updates. It'll help in the future if you decide to look back on it too.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Really great to follow along here and learn anything I can. Out of curiosity, is this the first time you're sourcing from China and selling? When searching for potential products, did you focus on a specific niche/category, or did you search for a broad range of products to fit margin goals?

I don't mind the long updates. It'll help in the future if you decide to look back on it too.

Yes and no. About five years back I had a VERY short stint where I was trying to bring an e-cigarette product to market. I had a partner in the venture and he did all of the communications with China for the sourcing. So I never experienced it first hand but I was aware of what was going on. This is the first time for me doing all of the direct communications.

In terms of product selection, this question sort of walks the fine line of the training program content, but since it's a very surface level question I think it's safe to say I personally started by looking margins over niches. The process of narrowing down the product selection was more refined and that I cannot discuss.

soul

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 7, 2014
In terms of product selection, this question sort of walks the fine line of the training program content, but since it's a very surface level question I think it's safe to say I personally started by looking margins over niches. The process of narrowing down the product selection was more refined and that I cannot discuss.

That's fine, I understand where you're coming from.

I've been thinking about doing the same you are and have gone about it the same way but with less luck. Granted I've only barely grazed the surface of what is out there.

Will Amazon be your focus or do you anticipate utilizing ebay also?

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's fine, I understand where you're coming from.

I've been thinking about doing the same you are and have gone about it the same way but with less luck. Granted I've only barely grazed the surface of what is out there.

Will Amazon be your focus or do you anticipate utilizing ebay also?

Right now my focus is 100% on learning this Amazon process inside and out. However, long term my plan is to diversify my product(s) across multiple sales channels and eventually learn the ins and outs of all of them. That could include things such as Ebay, my own ecommerce store, Etsy, etc. My thought process behind that is that it will hedge some of the risk associated with Amazon being my only outlet. As powerful as Amazon is, I feel that using them exclusively relinquishes too much control.

Again, I am still in the very early stages and have a ton in front of me before I can get to the next step, so the exact path isn't laid out just yet. It is also possible that the outcomes of events I have yet to uncover may change my plan of attack entirely. So really, the only thing I can worry about right now is selling on Amazon and learning how to master that.

Last edited:

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
PRODUCTS ARRIVE

It's been a while since my last update but things are still moving along. Slowly, but moving along. Last week I finally received my initial order of products and as I feared, they didn't arrive as planned. Without going into specifics, I initially spoken to my chosen manufacturer about a few minor things I felt could be changed in order to help slightly improve my product and possibly even make it stand out from the competition. They told me that these requests would be no problem, but after payment was sent, well, they suddenly these changes weren't so easy or cheap. I reminded them that they committed in writing (an email) to these changes at a price we both felt was fair, but it appears they cheapened up the quality and played some games to make it seem like I was getting what I asked for. Bottom line, I ended up getting pretty much what my competition already selling and my product won't be so unique. So, instead of it being what I felt would have been a top tier product in my category that could demand a higher price, I am now pretty much in line with quality of the competition out there. Granted my product quality is in line with some of the better sellers out there, but it's still not what we agreed to. Regardless of the situation, @Eskil feels we are going to be fine and that these will sell.

TAKING PICTURES

In any event, I have been working to prep my first round of product for sale. My first step was product photos and let me say this... I am not a photographer, lol. However, I made do. I did some research on photography light boxes and felt comfortable there, but unfortunately when I laid my product out as a set, I couldn't find a box reasonably large enough that I could turn into a light box and have it accommodate all of my products in the set. So I roughed it and just took some photos, but they turned out pretty bad even after trying to polish them up in Photoshop.

I did a bit more research and found this site and the steps there helped me a lot [LINK]. The other thing I did that helped was I decided to take the photos outside on an overcast day, as one tip in the article suggests, and it seemed to make a huge improvement on the quality. I sent this round out to @Eskil and he is in the process of cleaning them up further for me. Fortunately for me he has made Photoshop skills he has been willing to offer up.

CREATING THE LISTING

As stated early on, this is one of the things I felt would be of tremendous value for me to learn and learn quickly. @Eskil and I are nearing the final stages of this and I can't wait to see the end result. In looking over the rough drafts he has helped me prepare, it was interesting to see the approach he has taken. Definitely probably not how I would have approached it, but I am the student and not the master and this is why I enrolled in the first place! :)

MOVING FORWARD

I am hoping by the time I am ready for my next update post I will have sent my products in to Amazon and I can come back here with the tale of a first sale. We are nearly complete with a full cycle on this product (In this case I am just meaning "a full cycle" to be from product idea all the way to the first sale) and I have learned a ton along the way.

That said, as I also mentioned in my last update, I have already started researching other products and plan to head in a new direction as soon as possible. After leaning heavily on @Eskil for advice, he is steering me in a direction where I see some pretty great potential. For now I won't be talking about our plans for my next step, but let's just say it helps take the sting off my disappointment from my first shipment of product. I may end up starting another progress thread or possibly just changing the direction of this one after this I finish the coaching program. All in all I am pretty excited and ready to go. It's pretty cool too because I feel like I am building a strong friendship as we go and that to me is just as valuable, if not even more valuable, than the content of the course.

Anyways, I will update again as soon as I am able and good luck out there to all those on their journeys!

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
GETTING THINGS TO AMAZON

Again, it’s been a while since I have posted, but that has been intentional as I wanted to progress to a certain point before posting again. My last post had us finishing up the listing page and getting ready to ship products off to Amazon. The listing turned out pretty well and with nothing else left and with everything else prepped, it was time to pack up my boxes and get my stuff off to Amazon. Pretty simple right? Well, not for me. I learned a little lesson here. But first let me paint a quick picture for your regarding my product packaging. As mentioned in an earlier post, my product is a bunch of smaller products combined to make a set, which I am then selling as a single SKU. That set is packaged, by me, into a small box. So here comes a protip…

Don’t use simple math to determine the size of your master shipping box. What I mean by this is that if you use 5”x5”x5” boxes to hold your product...don’t assume you can put 27 of them into a 15”x15”x15” box. Make sure to allow a little tolerancing in the larger box for the smaller boxes to fit in there comfortably. Considering getting a slightly larger master box, like 16”x16”x16” box to fit 27 of the smaller boxes.

Now, something like this may be common knowledge for most of the world, but for some reason, this rationale escaped me. I ended up getting about HALF of what I wanted to in each master carton because the smaller boxes packed so tightly I couldn’t get the larger boxes to close properly for shipping.

SO NOW WE WAIT

With the listing complete and about half of my expected inventory crammed into my undersized master cartons en route to Amazon...what next? Well, once my products arrived at Amazon, I made sure they got verified and approved by Amazon so that all of those people who were blindly and unknowingly waiting for me to activate my listing could run to their computers with their credit cards in hand and make a purchase!

THAT’S IT. NOW YOU’RE RICH, RIGHT?!

Not exactly. Actually, far from it. First, and I don’t think I am giving away any magic here, I had to work on getting friends/family to make some purchases so I could get some reviews out there and begin to improve my Amazon sales rank. This is important for visibility and making sure others searching for items similar to mine will actually find me.

My listing became active mid-August and my starting rank on Amazon was around 250,000 in my chosen category. So guess what...nobody was even looking at my listing at this point. Even when I would get friends or family to make a purchase, the ranking would drop by about half to around 120,000 and then skyrocket back up after a day or so.

So with said, I needed to find a way to make my way up the charts. Now, I am aware there are less “legit” ways to move up in the ranks, such as buying reviews on Fiverr, etc. but my goal has always been to do things on the “up and up” and grow my brand the right way. So not sure what else to do, I decided to start with Amazon PPC. Why start here? Well, they offered me a $50 credit to jump start my advertising (Hard to believe right?, lol) and I have no experience with PPC advertising on any level, so I figured why not start here.

As of September 1st, I launched my first PPC campaign.

AND THEN THE MAGIC HAPPENED...MY FIRST REAL SALE!

With the way I ended the section above, you probably think the advertising campaign led to the first sale. In actuality, only irony linked the timing of my advertising campaign with the date of my first sale. I know this because Amazon has a way to track the impressions, clicks and sales generated through your campaign and it still shows zero sales being generated from the campaign.

Regardless, I have to say the first sale is a pretty exciting and fulfilling moment. It’s a moment three months ago that seemed so far away and masked behind a mountain of the unknown. To see that someone out there actually pushed the “Buy It Now” button on my product is way cool.

OK. PARTY’S OVER, BACK TO WORK

After about 2 minutes of celebrating, I set my drink down and the first thing that popped into my head was…”Ok, that’s one. I am still a little ways off from retiring still, so how the hell do I scale from here?” And that is a good place to end this chapter.

Moving forward I plan to share how I continue to figure out how to build my sales. One important thing to mention, as eluded to several times already, is that I am already moving forward on to something else. I have made a final decision that once my initial stock sells out of this product I will not be re-ordering any more. Instead, my focus will be developing my next line of products, which I will discuss in more detail at a later date.

What I do plan to share here in the short term is information on the number of units sold over time and the things I did to help push those sales. I will also weave in my numbers for my new product line once that goes live and include my efforts put forth developing those products.

Until then and as always, thanks for reading to this point and hopefully you can pull something of value from my story.

soul

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 7, 2014
Congrats on the first sale and good luck to you.

I'm starting my foray into e-commerce and decided on a standalone store-front instead of Amazon/ebay. Look forward to reading more of your progress.

When you launched your ppc campaign, did you use any copywriting techniques or strategies? In hindsight, would you have changed anything to make that PPC campaign more successful?

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Congrats on the first sale and good luck to you.

I'm starting my foray into e-commerce and decided on a standalone store-front instead of Amazon/ebay. Look forward to reading more of your progress.

When you launched your ppc campaign, did you use any copywriting techniques or strategies? In hindsight, would you have changed anything to make that PPC campaign more successful?

The success of the PPC campaign is yet to really be determined. I only started this Monday, so I don't really feel I have that strong of gauge of what it is capable of yet. As far as techniques go, no I didn't use anything, but I am not even sure at this point in time and based on what I know, that you really can. The ads are basically sponsored listings of your product that show up either at the bottom of the page when you do a search or on the right hand side of the page, so it just looks like what you put out there when you create your product listing.

In my opinion, things that would help with conversion would be an attractive and clean product listing and a product that has lots of reviews. As I grow into this and really try to understand PPC in general, I will try to give my feedback on what worked and what didn't work for me.

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Wow, just got to reading this thread. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences in detail. They have provided some wonderful insight for me!

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wow, just got to reading this thread. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences in detail. They have provided some wonderful insight for me!

@CreateLiving - Glad my experiences have been at least a little helpful to you. Feel free to ask questions and I will be as forthcoming as possible. The cool part about all of this is that I truly believe the best is yet to come. If you are sports fan... I would consider everything I have done so far to be the preseason...or maybe more aptly put....training camp :)

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
So I figured it was time for another update...

Sales are still slowing coming in. I have days where I get no sales, and then for no reason I will get a few. I am averaging right around 1 sale per day at the moment...maybe a little less. So far only 2 of my sales can be attributed to Amazon PPC. The rest are coming in organically through searches I suppose. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't provide the details of that information to me.

I anticipate most of my progress posts moving forward will be directly related to progress on the new product line. Once the initial inventory of the first product has been depleted, I will be moving on from it... for now. Because part of my goal was to outline my progress in relation to the coaching program, I do plan to post a chart showing my detailed costs from beginning to end once the inventory of my initial product has sold out.

Also, one thing I have considered doing with my first product is following in the path of what @ZCP did with @biophase 's soap (if you haven't read the thread...well, first, read the whole thing...DO IT NOW....but the part I am talking about starts on page 18 HERE where @ZCP takes over @biophase's company) . I think what he is doing with the business is just great and I think that if I can do the same with my first product, it would be a great learning experience for my kids. At 9 years old my oldest daughter has already shown small sparks of interest in creating her own little businesses with her friends and I want to help feed that as much as possible.

As for the second product, I am full steam ahead. I had hoped to have it listed by now but I am having issues with my supplier. He and I are scheduled to have our "come to Jesus" talk today as the delays on his end have been unacceptable to me and I have yet to be offered any type of reasonable explanation for them. I consider myself a fairly patient person, but we are past that at this point. Once this gets worked out I will be back on track.

Taking a positive from a negative, I am using the downtime to educate myself on the importance of a product launch and gaining followers prior to listing on Amazon. With my first product, we optimized and listed. That was it. This time around I am going to be trying to build followers through emails lists, Facebook, Instagram, etc. so that when I am ready to launch I will hopefully have some sort of audience to launch to. The biggest challenge I perceive, which I think is also the most important part of having a successful product on Amazon, is getting the reviews. I have not been doing this long enough to know for sure, but I do feel strongly about this.

So far I have ZERO reviews from anyone but family or friends on my first product. Granted, I haven't been actively pursuing them once I decided to let the first product die out. But knowing, as someone who buys on Amazon as well, the importance that I personally put on the quality and quantity of reviews, they HAVE to play a major role in sales numbers.

I think once I can consistently figure out how to get the quality reviews I need, I will then have a foundation for a winning formula that will help me build towards long term success.

A little further out I also plan to evolve into other sales platforms. Something @JackEdwards mentioned during our call back in May was that (and I am paraphrasing) that he said when he sees a people aggregating and moving in one direction he likes to look for opportunities in other directions (Jack, sorry if I mangled that but I think that gets the point accross). Anyways, everywhere I turn I see people jumping on the Amazon bandwagon and it does concern me a bit. I am not sure what the future holds for Amazon as a selling platform and I still think it is a great opportunity for the foreseeable future... I just want to be ready for when they do change. It all comes back to the principle of Control. If Amazon is flooded with tons of sellers and with how easy it seems to be for many people to just white label and throw something up there, you almost have to think Amazon will adapt and what that means for the sellers...who knows.

Finally, if anyone reading this would be interested in creating a new Amazon mastermind or has room in one that would be interested in having me join, please let me know. Feel free to post here or PM me. I think something like a mastermind is a must and will be invaluable in helping stay ahead of the curve. If I garner enough interest, I will create a separate thread.

Anyways, I will touch base again once there is more progress. As always, thanks for reading and good luck on whatever journey you are on.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's been a few weeks so I just wanted to give a quick update...

Sales continue on the first product. At this point I am averaging closer to 1 sale every other day (over the entire period my product has been available) due to a dry spell that occurred where I had zero sales over a 7 day period about a week ago. Then, out of the blue, right after that, I sold 3 in one day, followed by another zero day and then 2 per day for 3 days straight. I kept track of my sales each day and also thought I noticed a buying pattern. It seemed ALL of my sales to this point took place Monday thru Thursday between 6AM EST and 2PM EST. I started to try to look into why this might be the case, then, out of the blue, over the weekend I had 5 sales, all taking place in the afternoon or evening. So who knows. Again, as this product is being phased out, I have not changed anything that would attributed to that behavior.

A few more notes on my Amazon PPC campaign...

The last few weeks I had been running two small Amazon PPC campaigns, one with my own list of keywords and one using Amazon's automatic keyword campaign. I collected the data today on both campaigns and found that overall, and especially more recently, the campaigns combine for about 60% of my sales. However, the ad-spend exceeds the profits from the sales. So with the numbers not adding up, I downloaded all of the reports and am making my first attempt at optimizing my campaigns. I created a new campaign by eliminating all of keywords that have generated clicks but didn't result in sales and then added the keywords from automatic campaign that were converting. I will run this new campaign and see if it makes a difference and will report back in a few weeks or so.

So the second product is back on track. In the previous post I mentioned having problems with the first manufacturer I was working with. So to fix the problem I figured it was time to go back to the basics. I pulled up google and looked for manufacturers in my product category. I made a spreadsheet of everyone I could find and wrote down their phone numbers. I also reached out to a mastermind I am now a part of for a few more recommendations and added those names to the list as well. I thought about the 5-6 most important questions I wanted answered and wrote them down. I then took a few half days from the slowlane and called each and every number on my list. I started each conversation by explaining my situation and telling them my reason for calling was to find out if their company was going to be a good fit my short term and long term goals. I was very honest about who I was and what I wanted to accomplish. After a few days, I narrowed my list to two and will be ordering samples from both this week.

A couple of takeaways from doing this.

1) Always do your homework up front and as so many others have said before me.... PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL. I didn't do my due diligence with my first manufacturer and I paid for it. By making the calls on my list as opposed to sending emails I covered so much ground in so little time. I also actually felt it let them know that I was serious. If a question came up during the conversation, we addressed right then and there. Each call lasted about 10-15 minutes and about 90% of the people I called picked up the phone. Granted, this time around I am using US manufacturers, so I am sure that helped in relation to my getting through to the people I was calling.

2) I learned a ton about the industry that i didn't already know through this process and feel much more comfortable about my choices moving forward. You would be surprised how much information you can pull from your manufacturer about your industry by just asking the questions.

I expect to have my next product, and maybe a second in the same category, designed and manufactured and up for sale before Christmas. It took a little longer than I had hoped to figure this out, but I feel I am on the right track now. I feel I was fortunate to be able to identify the problems with my manufacturer and correct course before my first product in the new category actually went into production. The big picture for me with this venture is to build a business I can e proud of long term. So even though these short term pains do hurt, and I certainly lost time that I can't get back, I know I am much better off moving forward.

Anyways, that's all for now. I will update again once there is more to discuss.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Bringing Chapter 1 to a Close

Last Monday I sold out of the initial inventory of my first product and in the past month or so I have been focused on bringing my second product to market. I have struggled a bit with what to do about my first product and came to the decision to move on from it.

The Big Reveal

Because I am moving on, I have gone back and forth with whether or not I should share my actual product and decided that there was really no reason not to. I am sure we have all heard people here say “it’s not the product, but the process that matters.” And for the most part, I agree. But here is a situation where I feel I am not putting myself at risk and if just one person can gain some sort of insight or unique perspective by knowing this information and it helps them on their own journey, then I suppose it’s worth sharing.

The product I chose to sell on Amazon during the training was exercise bands. A simple set of interchangeable resistance bands with handles, used in lieu of hand weights, during routine workouts.

I decided to put my own slight spin on my product by looking at the competition and seeing how I could stand apart, even by just a little. There were a TON competitors offering similar versions of what I was going to be selling and 95% of them were sold in 5-band sets. So I decided to create a 6-band set. Hell, who doesn't like more, right! That was my “almost unique” twist. (I say almost because at the time there were like 1 or 2 others I found selling 6-band sets).

Looking at the Data

At this point in time my bands are completely sold out and the listing has been officially removed. I have decided to share the raw data I have collected through this process. I was also hesitant about sharing this , but not because I was revealing some big secret. It was because my financial outcome has been less rewarding than many of the others who have gone through the course with @Eskil and @1step. I had high expectations for myself and wanted to be at the top of the trainee class. But I fell short by a HUGE margin. Even though I didn't show a profit during this first round, I did gain a TON of knowledge which I will continue to apply and build upon. And you can’t put a dollar figure on that.

Listed below is a rough breakdown of the costs I incurred during the training to bring the product to market. I did not include the training costs for various reasons, but mainly because I don’t feel it is directly relevant to anyone who may be considering doing this on their own.

Rough Cost Breakdown:
  • Product Samples (many sent samples were sent free, so this was kept to a minimum) : $58
  • Stock Photography for Amazon Listing and website: $38
  • Domain Name Registration (several variations): $32
  • Logo Design (paid a friend to help me here): $50
  • Barcodes: $37
  • Packing Supplies and Boxes: $120
  • Initial Product Inventory from China, includes air shipping (100 units): $1,800
  • Shipping Costs to Amazon from my house: $120
  • Amazon Pro seller fees (4 months during which my product was on sale): $160
Total Rough Cost to launch my first 100 units on Amazon: $2,415

Total Product sales: $3,635.00 (sold 84 units, gave away 6, kept 10 just in case for warranty)
Total Advertising Spend using Amazon ads: $1,381.00
Total Amazon Fees from sales (roughly 28% of sale price): $1,018

Final Profit/Loss: (-$1,179)

Analyzing the Data

Wow. A $1179 loss on something like this is a pretty terrible return on investment. Where did things go wrong!? Is it possible to make this work?

I did a number of things wrong out of the gate and they snowballed on me quickly. First, I never got enough reviews on my product. I “officially” launched with only 3 reviews. Reviews, in my opinion, are the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece of your listing when selling on Amazon. You can have the greatest keyword optimization and a beautiful listing...and believe me, that helps...but if a consumer doesn't feel comfortable buying your product, they move on and they move on quickly. Let’s face it, there are now a TON of people selling on Amazon, with more entering the marketplace every day. It doesn't take much effort for someone to find an alternative to your product.

Secondly, I overbid on advertising. Amazon charges each time someone clicks your ad. I had a lot of people looking at my listing by clicking on the ads, but I can only assume that when they saw the lack of reviews on the product it made them nervous and they moved on. So again, the lack of reviews was coming back to hurt me two-fold.

Finally, this was a paid training over the course of three months. About half way through the 3 month course I was still struggling hard with my manufacturer but didn't want to start over due to time constraints associated with the training. I know Eskil would not have left me behind if I did change again at that point, but I decided to let things run their course and treat this as a learning experience or pilot project.

One thing to keep in mind while reviewing the numbers above is that some of the items are one time costs associated with the development of the product. Had I chosen to order another round, I would not have needed to spend as much as I did the first time. I also would have done a few things differently.

Here is what I would have changed:
  1. I would have packaged my product differently. I did a poor job of picking the right boxes to pack my product in and it cost me in shipping and Amazon storage fees.
  2. On either the second or third round I would have learned to time my inventory restocking so that it could have had it delivered by ocean freight. I received ocean freight quotes at less than a third of what I paid for air freight, but couldn't afford to wait 6 weeks to have the product delivered during the training.
  3. I would have been more careful with my Amazon ads and my ad spend. I also would put more focus on refining my keywords to make sure they are more relevant to the product and that I was budgeting the right amount for the right words.
  4. I would have solicited more for reviews.
By my estimations, if corrections would have been made and different price points tested, this product could net anywhere between $5-$10 profit per sale over time.

So what did I learn?

You should always be looking to revise and improve your product, process and whatever other elements you can to help you and your business continue to grow. For me, some of the key takeaways from my experience were:
  1. Reviews, Reviews, Reviews. Get as many as you can right out of the gate. Consumer perception in a crowded marketplace is everything and the more reviews you have supporting your product, the better you are.
  2. Be wise with your advertising dollars. Make sure you are targeting the right keywords for your product.
  3. Amazon is a massive marketplace with a ton of buyers. I put almost ZERO effort into my product once I shipped it into Amazon and….my product sold out. Granted it took a little longer than I would have liked, but it sold out. It sold out even though there was a TON of competition and arguably much better product out there. It sold out even though I only had 3 reviews. It sold out even though explicitly stated in my listing that there was no user manual included with this product. It sold out even though I never got past page 15 for any of my main keywords. Page 15. Think about that. That alone should offer you some perspective on how many people are visiting the site looking to make a purchase and spending money. It also is an indicator of how much you could be selling if you can manage to get to page 1.
  4. More than likely your product sales will quadruple during the holiday season. If you are in this for the long term, make sure you are stocked and ready to go.
  5. Treat your customers like gold, for they are your lifeblood out there...especially on Amazon. Out of the 90 products I sold, I got one review. It was a one star review. I immediately reached out to the customer, gave him 100% of his money back and sent him the part that was apparently missing from his set. Within 24 hours he updated his review to 5-stars letting other Amazon buyers know he had experienced amazing customer service like never before.
  6. Always assume your competition is working day and night to improve their product. Whether or not this is true, it will help you stay focused on what is important. Make sure to read your competitions reviews and find out what makes their products sell, or not sell for that matter. Work to incorporate those changes into your own products.
So what now?

My second product has just launched on Amazon and I have already started working to incorporate all of the important changes I learned above. Beyond that I have also contacted another manufacturer in the same niche to help me build a third product line. The third product is very similar to the second, but targets a slightly different demographic and is more of a luxury brand. I already see so many things I can improve and I am getting excited as I work towards progressing both of these products.

Any advice you can give to those getting ready to sell on Amazon?
  1. Start taking action now. Yesterday is the last day you should be thinking about doing something and today is the first day you are taking steps to reach your goal.
  2. In that vein, do at least one thing every day to help you accomplish your goals. Sometimes life gets in the way and it’s hard to focus. Especially if you have a family, a day job or other commitments. But if you start each day with idea that you only need to accomplish just one thing, you will find that in one year you will be 365 steps closer to your goal. What I found is that more often than not, once you sit down to do that "one thing" the juices start to flow and you find you are completing task after task. (This is not an original concept, I believe there is even book about working this way, but I just found the principle behind this way of thinking worked for me).
  3. Amazon is becoming flooded. Be wary of that. It’s a great channel for selling your goods, but treat it as just that….a channel. My advice would be to start and test on Amazon and begin to build bigger and better things from there. This is not to imply that great success can’t be had on Amazon but don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Any parting words?

As always, thanks for reading. I hope my experiences were helpful to you.

Oh...and stay tuned. The best is yet to come...

(edit: fixed some typos/grammer - probably still a few left behind!)

Last edited:

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Wow thanks for writing that up. It is funny that I was looking into a very similar product. How long did it take for you to sell out?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thnk you very much! @thorn , I am about to enter into the crafts and hand-made scene with certain products, start with a FB page, and viral marketing in my local market, then expand from there...looking at shopify and etsy, one problem with this domain is this the time it takes to make the product.
I will begin small and see what the market tells me. Offered to buy a domain already so I will go in that direction of running my own website once everything kicks off.

Im still going through @biophase 's AMA on E-commerce, so I'm not sure if anyone on the Forum has experience within the hand-made and crafts domain.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure why you would give up? You already spent most of your startup costs.

By your calculations, you product costs $20.40 to get to Amazon. You are selling it for $43.25. This is not the greatest margin but you are making $10 a sale. Eventually, you may not need to do any Amazon product ads. If I were you, I'd just order another set and throw them on Amazon. 20 sales a month isn't great, but it's a good starting point.

Maybe in hindsight, you may have been better off selling your first 50 at $10-$20 to get reviews and boost your ranking vs spending the money on Amazon ads.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wow thanks for writing that up. It is funny that I was looking into a very similar product. How long did it take for you to sell out?

First "real sale" occurred early September and I sold out pretty much right around the end of December. I had periods where I would go with zero sales for quite a few days and then all of a sudden get a bunch.

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not sure why you would give up? You already spent most of your startup costs.

By your calculations, you product costs $20.40 to get to Amazon. You are selling it for $43.25. This is not the greatest margin but you are making $10 a sale. Eventually, you may not need to do any Amazon product ads. If I were you, I'd just order another set and throw them on Amazon. 20 sales a month isn't great, but it's a good starting point.

Maybe in hindsight, you may have been better off selling your first 50 at $10-$20 to get reviews and boost your ranking vs spending the money on Amazon ads.

It's ironic, I had a whole section about this in my last post but deleted it because I felt it was the least relevant information to those reading. Plus my post was already extremely long. I have had several people ask me this question and I can only tell you my thought process leading up to how I came to the decision...be it right or wrong.

First, and most importantly to me, I prefer not to think my actions as giving up so much as I see it as shifting focus. During the training I had bounced around a bit in selecting a product to move forward with and eventually settled on the exercise bands. They met the criteria and had potential, so I sent about 30+ requests or so out to manufacturers ( I don't remember the exact number off hand, but it was a fair amount), interviewed about 15 of those manufacturers and chose 3 that I felt were worth while actually getting samples from. Of the three I ordered samples from, the one I ordered my initial inventory from was the only one I felt offered a quality product compared to what was on the market. However, once I got rolling with them, it was headache after headache.

At that point I was deep enough into the training and didn't want to start over because I wanted to get as much knowledge as possible from the class in the 3 month period allotted for the training. I figured if I was going to make the bands work long term I would eventually have to find a new manufacturer because some of the games being played with me were unacceptable. It was right about that time that Eskil had started talking to me about other potential opportunities and he also felt it was a good idea for me to move on based on what was taking place.

That's the back story and to more specifically answer your question, I find that personally I do not perform well by spreading myself across multiple ideas at once. I had a limited funds and was already invested in getting product number two in the works. I also didn't want to start the process over with the bands by having to find another manufacturer, especially when I was already investing time, money and energy into my next product. Had I felt the bands were a killer idea that I really had something special going with, sure... I would have done whatever it took to get back on track. But for me, exercise bands are not the answer.

I get that this may not be the most logical decision, especially since I had already done a lot of the work up front. I also get that it's easy to just order another round and throw them out there to see what happens. However, something about that didn't feel right to me. Quite frankly, I think it's just how I am wired, for better or worse.

Regardless, I have been moving forward at a much better pace on my second round and have been pushing hard to try and get as close to 20+ reviews out of the gate as I can. Overall I am having much better flow and I think I am working with something that has greater potential, if done right. We'll see. The second and third products are in a HIGHLY competitive market, so I am about to get a gauge of what I am really made of I think!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Great thread. Don't beat yourself up about the timeframes. Lots to learn
Could you elaborate on the following:
How does one establish a brand name ? Let's say for example (if this falls similar to the process you're talking about) i am buying staplers from a manufacturer, and instead of just being black and lame-looking, they're clear and see through and light up when you staple something. I order them from China.

1. How would I go about establishing a brand name for the stapler? Let's say I want to call it "StapleGlow" - What's the process of doing that?
2. Can a person just buy a product that's already being sold and produced and just throw their own brand name on it, or does it have to be in some way different? Does it have to have lights for my example, or could i simply buy black staplers and call them "StapleGlow" (or whatever brand name I want) and sell them?

Never really studied or understood the branding thing.

Thanks

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Great thread. Don't beat yourself up about the timeframes. Lots to learn
Could you elaborate on the following:
How does one establish a brand name ? Let's say for example (if this falls similar to the process you're talking about) i am buying staplers from a manufacturer, and instead of just being black and lame-looking, they're clear and see through and light up when you staple something. I order them from China.

1. How would I go about establishing a brand name for the stapler? Let's say I want to call it "StapleGlow" - What's the process of doing that?
2. Can a person just buy a product that's already being sold and produced and just throw their own brand name on it, or does it have to be in some way different? Does it have to have lights for my example, or could i simply buy black staplers and call them "StapleGlow" (or whatever brand name I want) and sell them?

Never really studied or understood the branding thing.

Thanks

So I can only offer you an answer based on my perspective on this topic. To me a "brand name" is just one component of your brand. So to be more specific I define a brand as an overall experience your customer has when interacting with your product or your company. It's representative of what you want your customers to think of when they think of you. Since cars are always an item of interest around here, tell me what pops in your head when you think of Ferrari?

I am not sure if that is a great explanation, but by extension a brand name is just one component of your overall brand. Let's say you are setting up a company to sell luxury handbags to middle aged females. Well, you probably aren't gonna want to call your company "Chris's Cheap-a$$ Handbags." An extreme example, but you get my point.

Another approach is to go off the wall completely and pick something unrelated to the actual product. Or perhaps use just your name. "Harrington" could be a manufacturer of glowing staplers and if you build success maybe over time people will automatically picture a stapler when they hear the name "Harrington." I don't know about you but every time I hear "Kleenex" I think of a box of tissues.

Now, if you are simply talking about a legal approach choosing a name, this is where things can fall into a gray area. I am certainly not qualified to offer legal advice here so make sure to do your own due diligence. I suggest that once you have an idea of your what you want your brand to be and maybe have a few ideas for name, start with the basics. Does "www.yourbrandname.com" exist? The .com part is important. Hit up a Google search for your brand name in your category...for example Google "Harrington Staplers" and see what comes back. You can typically do a fictitious name search on your state's business website that may offer some direction as well. But keep in mind, your business name does not have to match your brand name.

If you search those places and find a whole lot of nothing out there already, then you are probably safe to move forward. Here is the cool part, and I won't go into details because I am going to push you to another resource here in a minute. Once you establish your brand name, you can simply drop a "TM" after it and boom... you are trademarked. Now, this is not a "Registered Trademark" (the little R with the circle around it) but it's a start. As long as it has not been trademarked prior to you doing it, you should be ok. This was a valuable little tidbit I got by listening to @Vigilante 's podcast. I am going to simply link you to the thread with info about the podcast. Great resource if you haven't found it already. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/vigilantes-mind-your-business-radio-show.55657/

I hope this helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!