The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ascent to Greatness and Success

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
I'm quickly beginning to realize that upwork pays crap for writing gigs. A saw a few job postings to write a 5000 word ebook for $30. Another job ad was offering $1.5 per a 500 word article. What a joke!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
If all you are writing is a lame SEO article then you can't expect to be paid much. The article won't be worth much no matter how well written it is. "This needs to make back it's investment!". How much will a single long-tail SEO article impact the bottom line? Not much.

The same goes for all of the people spamming amazon with terrible ebooks. They aren't expecting much out of each ebook. And let's be honest... they're scared to put more effort into each ebook. "What if I waste all this money..."

Pay is directly related to how useful your work is to your client!

That is why copywriting is something clients are willing to pay a lot of money for. It can really impact the bottom line.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
very true. Article writing isn't going to do much. That is why I am honing the skill of novels, because fiction in romance, mystery, paranormal is where the money is, and quality writing. And screen writing seems to be a big thing for television and movies these days.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 10
Daily Goals:

1. Write one blog comment to get paid (completed)
2. Read 1 blog post from location180 (completed)
3. Apply for work on upworks
4. Apply for 1 part-time job
5. Finish reading copywriting thread on the fastlaneforum
6. Work on website (completed)

I forgot to write this list last night. I got completely carried away and too excited about purchasing my domain and webhost and playing around with my website.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Landed my first job on Upworks today from the previous client that mentioned. Hopefully I can do a good job and delivery quality work and get great feedback and include it as part of my portfolio.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 11
Daily Goals:

2. Read 1 blog post from location180
3. Apply for work on upworks
5. Finish reading copywriting thread on the fastlaneforum
6. Work on blog
7. Work on business website
8. read don't get a "real" job

Just got my first 5 star feedback rating on Upworks. Hopefully it will lead to more work for me.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 11
Daily Goals:

2. Write 2-3 sample articles for business website
3. Fine tune and polish up business website
4. Apply for freelance writing jobs
5. Read 1 blog post from location180
6. Read 10 pages from don't get a "real" job

I think I was trying to do too many things once again so I'm trying to reduce the number of things I have to do each day so that I can spend more time focusing my efforts. I've put my personal blog website on hold for now. I've also given up on applying for jobs. My main priority right now is to get my business website up and running so that I can show some samples from my portfolio and start getting more freelance writing jobs. I'm about 70% complete the website now. I'm just missing the 5-6 article samples which I will need to create tomorrow and possibly the next day. Once that's under my belt and I have regular income flowing in, then I will focus my energy on studying copywriting as well as spending more time on my personal blog and then take it from there.

Last edited:

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Great Thread. Love the Action Taking.
Keep at it. Courage is where most people fall off. rather than put on courage they go with discouragement and end up depressed. One thing that has always helped me is the principle of "just one more". Like today, I had to make a few cold phone calls to prospective clients and the response was straight up depressing, but I just kept saying to myself. Just one more phone, just one more client, and with that I was able to hit my target for the day despite the early rejections.
Just keep moving on, persist and I hope you push through.

Deusexmachinex

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Sep 1, 2015
Dude I absolutely like your "Daily goal" thing. Especially If you are " depressed " : it helps you to focus on you achievement in order to be more confident.

Now If I could make more suggestions:

1) More than half of your daily goals are about reading blogs. Remember than if its free, then you are the product.
What does the blog want ? that you comeback.
Will you comeback if you get super wealthy or if you are super busy with your company ? No.
Think about it.
Actionable advice: Read less, and maybe read books, instead of blogs.If you are broke a lot of books can be found in PDF online (you can find them the same way you find music and movies, if you see what I mean).

2) 2 guys are playing basket ball. One of them train 1h every day and don't read anything. The other guy is reading 1hour everyday but train only 1h / day. Who's gon get better ? (Its the one who practice, obviously).
Actionable advice: 90 % practice, 10% theory. For each hour of reading you must practice 5 hours. Also, don't lose too much time reading about unrelated stuff.
Quick example: "10 Way to motivate your sales team" is a 100% waste of time. You don't have a sales team, so don't read that. You'll read it when you'll have a company.

3) If you really want one of those dead end job I suggest you take this as it is: A SALE. A job interview is a sale. A CV is copywriting. Don't be the next joe sending his boring CV. Stand out.
Actionable advice:
-Get a designed CV. Example1 , Example 2 Got the picture ?

-Wait outside of the sushi / mcdonald [include other job here].Wait for the manager to leave at the end of the day. Catch him at this moment and SELL yourself. (Hint: get a selling script, dress for success)
- Create Yoursurnameyourname.com and make your CV online. Then put the link in whatever you are sending to your potential employers. This will learn your how to create a landing page / website (if you dont know already).

4) Try to do manual labor on freelance. You may earn more money than working at flipburgercompany. This will also increase drastically your selling skills, which can be usefull in the future.
Actionable advice:
- Find some website where you can make manual jobs for people (gardening, keeping their animals, cleaning their house, etc...)
- Buy yourself a mop and a go door to door. Tell them that you are cleaning their car, their windows.

Just my 2 cents dude.
Take care; and good luck.
PS: Food and diet impact heavily your emotions and your mental state.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Dude I absolutely like your "Daily goal" thing. Especially If you are " depressed " : it helps you to focus on you achievement in order to be more confident.

Now If I could make more suggestions:

1) More than half of your daily goals are about reading blogs. Remember than if its free, then you are the product.
What does the blog want ? that you comeback.
Will you comeback if you get super wealthy or if you are super busy with your company ? No.
Think about it.
Actionable advice: Read less, and maybe read books, instead of blogs.If you are broke a lot of books can be found in PDF online (you can find them the same way you find music and movies, if you see what I mean).

2) 2 guys are playing basket ball. One of them train 1h every day and don't read anything. The other guy is reading 1hour everyday but train only 1h / day. Who's gon get better ? (Its the one who practice, obviously).
Actionable advice: 90 % practice, 10% theory. For each hour of reading you must practice 5 hours. Also, don't lose too much time reading about unrelated stuff.
Quick example: "10 Way to motivate your sales team" is a 100% waste of time. You don't have a sales team, so don't read that. You'll read it when you'll have a company.

3) If you really want one of those dead end job I suggest you take this as it is: A SALE. A job interview is a sale. A CV is copywriting. Don't be the next joe sending his boring CV. Stand out.
Actionable advice:
-Get a designed CV. Example1 , Example 2 Got the picture ?

-Wait outside of the sushi / mcdonald [include other job here].Wait for the manager to leave at the end of the day. Catch him at this moment and SELL yourself. (Hint: get a selling script, dress for success)
- Create Yoursurnameyourname.com and make your CV online. Then put the link in whatever you are sending to your potential employers. This will learn your how to create a landing page / website (if you dont know already).

4) Try to do manual labor on freelance. You may earn more money than working at flipburgercompany. This will also increase drastically your selling skills, which can be usefull in the future.
Actionable advice:
- Find some website where you can make manual jobs for people (gardening, keeping their animals, cleaning their house, etc...)
- Buy yourself a mop and a go door to door. Tell them that you are cleaning their car, their windows.

Just my 2 cents dude.
Take care; and good luck.
PS: Food and diet impact heavily your emotions and your mental state.

Thanks buddy for the suggestions. I've quickly started to realize I've been spending too much time reading blog posts and need to take more action. I'm almost ready to launch my freelance writing website. It's been a huge pain in the a$$ trying to learn how to create a presentable website by teaching myself. At the moment I have writer's block trying to come up with sample articles to write about. I'm hoping I can launch it within 2-3 days from now once I get those sample articles written. Afterwards I'm going to try and send out 20-30 emails or job proposals everyday to companies looking for freelance writing work.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 12
Daily Goals:

2. Write 1-2 sample articles for business website (completed)
3. Apply for freelance writing jobs

I need to slash out more daily tasks. At the moment I've been inflicted with a plague known as writer's block. I haven't even been able to pump out one article at all. It took me hours just to come up with several titles to write my articles on. I've had to completely re-write one of my articles again after reading it and not liking how it sounded. I really need to get these samples written so that I can stop applying for more freelance writing jobs which depends on me showing my portfolio of writing samples.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Only managed to write 1 sample article so far after 3 edits. This is going to take me a lot longer then I had anticipated.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Day 12
Daily Goals:

2. Write 1-2 sample articles for business website (completed)

I need to slash out more daily tasks. At the moment I've been inflicted with a plague known as writer's block. I haven't even been able to pump out one article at all. It took me hours just to come up with several titles to write my articles on. I've had to completely re-write one of my articles again after reading it and not liking how it sounded. I really need to get these samples written so that I can stop applying for more freelance writing jobs which depends on me showing my portfolio of writing samples.

Successful/Paid writers don't have time for writers block. Strive to crank out 2000-5000 words per day.

1. Pick the niche/genre/topic area you want to write in.
2. Search twitter, Facebook, ehow and similar question sites for relevant questions and discussions.
3. Make a list of the top 10.
4. Write one or more articles for each.
5. Repeat.

If you can't think of a topic/niche, write software tutorials and book reviews. Write news summaries or write about the plotline of your favorite TV shows. Just write. 2000-5000 words every day.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Finally got out of writer's block. Managed to pump out another article and I'm half way done another way. Only 2.5 more articles to go!

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 13
Daily Goals:

2. Finish writing up sample articles for website

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Shit, I just received an email from the blog administer from the blog commenting job I was doing. Apparently they are suspending paying its blog commenter due to financial difficulties and won't resume until a few months later. That was an easy small side income that is now gone :(

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Shit, I just received an email from the blog administer from the blog commenting job I was doing. Apparently they are suspending paying its blog commenter due to financial difficulties and won't resume until a few months later. That was an easy small side income that is now gone :(

Keep your head up and don't give up :)

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Just cranked out a 2000 word article today. My mind's pretty exhausted right now but I'm going to have plow through it and produce one more article. Then my site will be ready for launch once I clean it up.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 14

Daily Goals:
1. Revise and re-edit writing samples (completed)
2. Polish up Website (completed)
3. Start sending out job proposals for writing gigs (completed)

Finally finished writing all of my sample articles. Now I just need to revise and re-read everything and polish up my website a bit and then I can start sending out mass emails to companies to start getting writing jobs.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 15

Daily Goals:
1. Apply for at least 10 writing jobs (goal 100 writing jobs by the end of the week)
2. Polish up Website
3. Write 1 more article on a different area
4. Give Fiverr another shot and polish up gigs

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 16

Daily Goals:
1. Apply for at least 10 writing jobs (completed)
2. Polish up Website

Update from yesterday: I only managed to apply to 6 jobs so far. I haven't really found anymore writing jobs from jobboards that I'm qualified to apply to. This is going to be a challenge. I'm going to switch strategies tomorrow and do a google search for all of the marketing and advertising agencies around my area and send all of them an email.

I ended up writing another article for my website, however it was related to another topic from one of my earlier samples. I wanted to show one of the clients from one of the jobs I applied to more of my sample writing work in that area.

About 2 days ago, I had an argument with my best friend. This was the same guy who I mentioned cutting off from my life in another thread. A mutual friend messaged me on facebook in a conversation with my best friend. My best friend started trying to joke around by taking jabs at me, so I posted a video clip about something related to him and he got pissed off and starting trying to cut me down and then tells me he doesn't want to be friends anymore. I say that's completely fine with me. Today I received a phone call from another mutual friend asking me what happened and then he is like "ok I'm going to fix this". I'm like nah forget it, I'm done. Then he accuses me about being a little girl and then once again is like I'm going to fix it. I didn't bother arguing with him about it but I'm finished with these people. I don't need negative people always looking to cut me down to make themselves feel better. None of these f'ing people were around when I was struggling to acquire work and in fact got pissed off that I wasn't hanging around with them blowing even more money. How consider of them eh? F this, I don't need this shit anymore in my life.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Just finished creating my email template that I'm going to use to send out to prospective marketing companies. Now I'm going to collect emails from all of the companies and compile a list and then start firing out emails. My goal is to send out at least 100 emails. Hopefully I can get some clients, even 2-3 would make me really happy at this point.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 17

Daily Goals:
1. Email ten internet marketing companies about freelance writing jobs (completed)
2. Polish up Website

Update from yesterday since its 1:38am here as I type this. I sent out 10 cold prospecting emails to local marketing agencies in my city. I feel kind of sleazy doing this but I think I need to switch my mindset from sleazy to me actually providing them some value. I'm going to try and fire off at least another 10-20 emails and if I don't hear back at all, I'll post up my email template for you guys to critique. About half of the website's don't even list an email address but rather a contact form, which usually asks for my number. I'm very hesitant about giving my number away now because for the past 2-3 days I've been getting unsolicited calls and emails from some a**hole on a machine asking me to sign up for marketing services or something. I had to take down my number from my website because of this.

I've been finding it harder and harder to stay motivated as the days past and I start to procrastinate a lot. Therefore I think I'm going to try to do all of my work right in the morning when I wake up instead of working out right in the morning. I was hesitant to do this because the gym is usually packed in the afternoons and evenings but getting this freelance business going is of greater priority. If I have funds coming in then I could always switch gyms or move somewhere else. The only thing is I find working out really helps clear my head and makes me feel a lot less depressed but I usually end up procrastinating like crazy unlike the evening if I don't do my work right away. But if I'm not working out I feel down sometimes.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Finally got 1 reply back from one of the writing job postings I applied to. It pays penuts like $5 for a 400-worder, $6.25 for a 500-worder and $10 for an 800-worder. They mention if you prove yourself then they will have higher paying gigs so well see. They said I need to respond back and tell them I'm ready to start my trial. I need to complete 2 articles within 24 hours. It makes me very nervous to think I only got 24 hours to complete the assignment.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 18

Daily Goals:
1. Email 30 internet marketing companies about freelance writing jobs (completed)
2. Work on SEO writing gig on Fiverr
3. Write 1 more article for website

I sent out 15 emails today to local internet marketing companies through doing a simple search on google. I feel kind of like a spammer now though lol. I'm going to shoot out another 15-20 emails tomorrow. Hopefully I can get at least 2-3 clients soon. If I have time tomorrow I'm going to rework my fiverr gigs. I'm going to spend the weekend also working on it. I'm hoping if I can get a few orders on it and some great reviews then it will lead to a cascading effect.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 19

Daily Goals:
1. Finish up job application for content mill (completed)
2. Work on SEO writing gig on Fiverr (completed)
3. Redesign business website

Today I sent out an additional 30 emails out to local internet marketing companies. So far I haven't heard anything back yet which is quite discouraging :(. In total I have sent out 60 emails to these companies plus an additional 6-7 job applications to writing agencies. I haven't gotten a reply back yet from that one low paying content mill yet since replying back to them. I'm going finish up my job application to 1 more content writing mill tomorrow and then start working on my fiver SEO article writing gig. I need to start making some money more.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.