The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ascent to Greatness and Success

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This forum seems to be a popular place for people who are depressed. It's as if this place is where depressed people come when have the first spark they've felt in years, finally feeling motivated and feeling like they can take on the world.

A common thread, though, is that they tend to disappear without a second thought. Some hang around but never do anything at all.

I need to warn you, though: we can't help you with your depression. You'll need to see a professional and go past the helpline.

A little piece of advice: toss out your video games, cancel your Netflix, and get into a habit of DOING. Motivational videos, blogs and blog posting, and books are 'hobby stuff and should not be put on your to-do list. Instead, they should be for your downtime.

Good luck.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
An article just popped up on my newsfeed today that reminded me of seeing your thread the other day: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2008/01/23/depression-how-you-label-determines-how-you-feel/

I started my journey exactly where you are right now (I joined here four years ago). I had $250 to my name, unemployed, and my student loans were a few months away. Life "sucked"...

Well, it seemed like it sucked at the time, but once you go down this road of improving your life, you will one day look back realizing how different your life is compared to when you made this post. If you read MJs book already, he uses working a job for a limo company in Chicago as a point of reference to where he is in his life now.

Tomorrow, I'm packing up my car, driving to Seattle for the fall to write a personal development book...and the story of where I was then (just like where you are now) is going to be my point of reference for the transition I made over these last four years.

Here are a few things that helped me on my journey:

1- I can't change the events that happen to me...but I can change how it affects me. Do you ever notice how two different people can look at the same situation and have two completely different reactions? Our minds attach the meaning to events. When my business crashed on Christmas day, I was excited...because I interpreted that event as a moment that defines who I am. Will I work hard and push forward? or will I give up? Back four years ago, I used to attach negative meanings to things that happen to us.

Shit still happens..but this mindset gave me a sense of control of my life.

How can you attach a positive meaning to the things that happen to you, that will help you get to where you want to go?

This also applies to what people say to me.

2- Our lives are a series of habits - Think of waking up in the morning. We probably wake up and get out of the same side of the bed, brush the same side of our teeth first, put on the same shoe first, without realizing it.

I have the belief that the emotions we feel are habits too. Once we fall into the pattern of getting addicted to negative emotions, we almost feel a comfort of keeping that pattern. I started listening to the last 10 minutes of the video below twice per day (the guided meditation starts about 20 minutes in). My happiness skyrocketed within the first four days of doing this.

The way I interpret it working is because he guides us through a way to force positive emotions into our life, and then once we start that new habit, we become addicted to the pattern we are accustomed to.

3- Labels - "My Depression".

I live by the motto, 'don't ask if it's right or wrong, ask if it's useful'. I used to think "depression" or "sadness" is a fixed trait. After practicing the meditation in #2, I now view it as a temporary state of being, despite what most of society says.

When you do the meditation a few times, and can start getting those positive emotions - you can realize that you can break free from old patterns very quickly. Right now, think of scratching your nails down a chalkboard, and then licking a carpet. Most people will get the chills just thinking of it. In both of those examples, nothing changed on the outside, just a new way of thinking created a new state of being in your body.

Choosing to get addicted to those new, positive emotions, can happen just as quickly.

I'm not a psychologist, but the above worked for me...Will it work for you? That's for you to decide.

And its very possible, in the next couple of years, you will be looking back...having financial freedom....freedom to travel....being happy....realizing that these emotions you feel now are not "bad" and other emotions are not "good". There are no labels, they are simply emotional triggers pointing you to a new direction int life.

...once again, I'm not a psychologist, but I hope that gives perspective.

Remember how I said I used to be in your exact shoes in 2011? It's true. Tomorrow I am packing my car, driving up the pacific coast highway to Seattle, while making income from my business, and will spend the next three months writing a book to help others get through the same struggles I went through.

Change is possible. What you described in your first post is great...because it is what pushed you onto this new path in life. Keep pushing forward through the failures, and you will make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm going to start applying for jobs later today once I'm finish revising my ersume for teaching jobs over in China.

China?!

You're inspired, but you lack focus.

Don't be tempted to throw a bunch of shit at the wall in hopes something will stick.

Choose one thing that is the most necessary for you right now, and go hard.

Do you need to pay your rent because you're 3 months behind? You best be hammering away for a menial job. The Sushi shop sounds good, but you're broke, so McDonalds sounds just as good.

Then, when you get it, use your downtime to hammer away at ONE THING.

Copy? Eat, breathe, and shit copy. Apply to Upwork jobs until your fingers are blue.

Wanna code apps? Eat, breathe, and shit coding. Then build an app and learn how to sell the shit out of it.

Wanna start running traffic? Eat, breathe, and shit internet marketing. You'll need to use your money, but you'll learn the game even if it takes thousands of dollars and several months.

These aren't your only options, but you have to make a CHOICE and STICK TO IT. It's hard for most of us. But nobody said it would be easy.

D

Deleted21961

You are taking massive action, I see. Which will lead to your suicide if you not change the course.
Step back and read what you have written. Can you notice it is all about you? Like you were the center of universe? If you are living with such a perception, you are taking every (inevitable) failure so personally, that when one big enough happens, it crushes and wipes you out of Earth surface for good.
You think other people don't give a shit about you and yet you want them to give you their money while you don't give a shit about them and their problems. Like they existed only to pay you.

You know what is the most missing quality between freelancers in every niche? Caring about their clients and their customers. Build on this one and you will position yourself in the winning corner from the beginning. Keep not giving a shit and the world will keep throwing more shit on you.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
OMG I just landed my first freelance writing job! I just got off the phone with the client and he's sending over the details later tonight or tomorrow. The first job is sort of like a trial and he said if he likes my writing he's going to order a package of ten. I'm going to make sure I do a hell of a good job for him so that I get repeat business. I offered to match the same rate as his other writer. He said he expects between 500-700 words for $50 which is a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone for the advice here. I couldn't have done it without your help! I'm now one step closer to accomplishing my goal of moving out of toxic parent's house and gaining some form of independence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
I meant to create this thread earlier today but I was feeling extremely depressed and also had to work in the evening so I had no time, but what really sparked me and got me really pissed off was me calling a helpline to speak to a counsellor about my depression. I had called this helpline numerous times in the past, and just a few days ago had spoken with someone, but today the lady at the other end was giving me attitude right off the bat. She was like "well what do you want us to do about your situation?" then goes on and tells me because I'm not a post-secondary student (I just dropped out (more like kicked out) officially 3 weeks ago) she can't help me but offered to talk to me for a few minutes and then send me off somewhere else. She made it seem like she was doing me a favour when it's her F*cking job. I told her to just forget about it and hung up. That shit really hit the nail. I was already feeling pretty depressed today and It showed in my lack of motivation to work at my job today. After that encounter with that bitch on the helpline I immediately took out my webcam and recorded my first video diary talking about my circumstances. While re-watching it, I had to restraint myself from not letting tears pour out of my eyes.

Anyways from today onwards, I've decided to make some major changes to my life so that I never ever feel like this again. I feel like a piece of shit right now, a total F*cking loser and disgrace of a human being. I never want to depend on anyone else again so that they can't treat me like this. I'm living in poverty right now with only a few hundred bucks in my bank account and I'm not sure where I'm going to end up living at the end of September. I have a big chunk of student loans due in 6 months from now and I'm about to turn 30 in 3 days. I'm going to do whatever it takes from this point on, even if it means applying to work at some dead end job like Mcdonalds or Bento Sushi just so that I can have a little money in the meantime while I work on developing the skills and experience to become a freelancer with the long term goal of having my own businesses that allow me to be location independent and provides me with financial freedom and independence as well. Each day I'm going to list what actions I took that will bring me closer to my goals. I've been procrastinating and letting my ego and pride control my ability to get out of my financial hole that I'm currently in. I'm going to have to lose my pride and just eat a slice of humble pie and apply to any job that I can get no matter how humiliating and degrading it is.

I want to come back from this and show all of those motherfuckers who looked down on me, and counted me out with all of their negative criticism and bullshit and prove all of them wrong. I'm going to show each and every last one of these people who never believed in me and told me that I was going to become a failure how wrong they were. Mark my words I will be the last one laughing when this is over!

Short Term Goals: Timeline 1 month
1. Get a part-time job that gives me between 16-24 hours of work so that I can afford to pay rent and
living expenses
2. Get my first freelance job from Upworks no matter how small the amount
3. Create my basic copywriting website so that I can start marketing my services
4. Learn about how to copywrite and become better at it so that I can start getting copywriting jobs

Semi-Long Term Goals: 6 months to 2 years
1. Build up a steady clientele on upworks to provide either a full-time salary or close to it (3-5k/month)
2. Get the hell out of Toronto and move to another country that has a much lower cost of living and is
warmer too
3. Work on products that will generate passive income for me in the future
4. Get at least 100 visitors and readers on my blogs monthly
5. Pay off all of my student loans (50K) and be debt free forever

Long Term Goals: 2+ year
1. Become a millionaire and obtain financial independence and freedom
2. Achieve location independence
3. Have multiple streams of passive income allowing me to essentially retire at a younger age (hopefully before I'm 40)
4. Have at least 100000 readers a month on my blogs
5. Travel around the world and not be restricted by finances ever again!

Day 1:
It's around 1:30am right now so I will start on these tasks when I wake up in the morning.

Daily Goals :
1. Finish up one blog entry in my personal teaching blog (completed)
2. Add in more information and revamp my profile on upworks (completed)
3. Go write 3 detailed proposals and apply for at least 3 freelance jobs in upworks
4. go apply for 1 job in Toronto
5. Apply for that shitty sushi prep job at Bento Sushi in Toronto (completed)
6. Finish reading at least 2 threads on here detailing how to make money freelancing
7. Read 1 blog post from location180 (completed)
8. Read 5 pages from copywriting101 from copyblogger (completed)
9. Workout at the gym (completed)
10. Eat healthy so that I can get the body that I want to have (completed)
11. Start going to bed no later then 12am (completed)

Last edited:

DomtheDominator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 21, 2015
You''re excited. You've finally ignited the spark to be proactive. You feel more alive than you've felt in a while. You're awestruck by how the world seems limitless and you're inspired to begin your "real" life mission.

But you also have periods of depression.

There will be times when you feel like shit once again. You'll doubt your capabilities. You'll question your prior decisions and fear the future.

But...DON'T GIVE UP.

I'm still figuring out my own path and am certainly no financial or life guru. But this is advise i want to give because, to an extent, i empathize with your position.

Keep moving forward. What you are doing now is more than you've done in a years (perhaps ever). You are the pilot of your own life. You will encounter turbulence and want to turn back, or maybe blame yourself for F*cking up yet again. But keep going forward. Relish the struggle. Embrace Failure. Then you will succeed.

Get out of your comfort zone. Do not limit yourself because you fear failure. Failure is inevitable. Apply and accept those blogging/web jobs you want to do on Upwork in spite of your fear. The experience you acquire is worth a hell of a lot more than a nice review on a shitty job.

Start --> practice --> Fail/improve --> Practice --> Fail/improve --> Practice --> Until you Succeed.

Good luck!

PS. I'm still doing a shitton of practice and failing. But just 3-4 months ago i was doing nothing. I wouldn't change a thing.

Christiano

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Sep 3, 2015
Dallas
Maybe a couple quotes to help you along:

1) Suffering is a catalyst for change, but it doesn't have to be the only one.
2) Growth begins beyond the comfort zone.

As someone who get his leads almost exclusively from freelance platforms, I would encourage you to work on your LinkedIn profile and make it look professional. Then when you apply to any job, you can start with --> LinkedIn profile here: [your URL]
The great thing about this is that even when platforms change or you evolve your lead gen, LinkedIn will stay with you wherever you go. You can also accrue recommendations on it as well.

I paid to have mine professionally done, and then had someone with 30 years sales experience critique the crap out of mine to get where it is.
If you want, take a look, and feel free to use the format as a template for your own profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christianoferraro

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
If all you are writing is a lame SEO article then you can't expect to be paid much. The article won't be worth much no matter how well written it is. "This needs to make back it's investment!". How much will a single long-tail SEO article impact the bottom line? Not much.

The same goes for all of the people spamming amazon with terrible ebooks. They aren't expecting much out of each ebook. And let's be honest... they're scared to put more effort into each ebook. "What if I waste all this money..."

Pay is directly related to how useful your work is to your client!

That is why copywriting is something clients are willing to pay a lot of money for. It can really impact the bottom line.

Deusexmachinex

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Sep 1, 2015
Dude I absolutely like your "Daily goal" thing. Especially If you are " depressed " : it helps you to focus on you achievement in order to be more confident.

Now If I could make more suggestions:

1) More than half of your daily goals are about reading blogs. Remember than if its free, then you are the product.
What does the blog want ? that you comeback.
Will you comeback if you get super wealthy or if you are super busy with your company ? No.
Think about it.
Actionable advice: Read less, and maybe read books, instead of blogs.If you are broke a lot of books can be found in PDF online (you can find them the same way you find music and movies, if you see what I mean).

2) 2 guys are playing basket ball. One of them train 1h every day and don't read anything. The other guy is reading 1hour everyday but train only 1h / day. Who's gon get better ? (Its the one who practice, obviously).
Actionable advice: 90 % practice, 10% theory. For each hour of reading you must practice 5 hours. Also, don't lose too much time reading about unrelated stuff.
Quick example: "10 Way to motivate your sales team" is a 100% waste of time. You don't have a sales team, so don't read that. You'll read it when you'll have a company.

3) If you really want one of those dead end job I suggest you take this as it is: A SALE. A job interview is a sale. A CV is copywriting. Don't be the next joe sending his boring CV. Stand out.
Actionable advice:
-Get a designed CV. Example1 , Example 2 Got the picture ?

-Wait outside of the sushi / mcdonald [include other job here].Wait for the manager to leave at the end of the day. Catch him at this moment and SELL yourself. (Hint: get a selling script, dress for success)
- Create Yoursurnameyourname.com and make your CV online. Then put the link in whatever you are sending to your potential employers. This will learn your how to create a landing page / website (if you dont know already).

4) Try to do manual labor on freelance. You may earn more money than working at flipburgercompany. This will also increase drastically your selling skills, which can be usefull in the future.
Actionable advice:
- Find some website where you can make manual jobs for people (gardening, keeping their animals, cleaning their house, etc...)
- Buy yourself a mop and a go door to door. Tell them that you are cleaning their car, their windows.

Just my 2 cents dude.
Take care; and good luck.
PS: Food and diet impact heavily your emotions and your mental state.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I ran out of marketing agencies to email. I'm on page 30+ of google and there's nothing left. I've sent out over 170 emails and have yet to get a single client. F*ck!!!

This is so F*cking frustrating but I refuse to F*cking give up.

How many of those emails were custom tailored for the agency's specific needs?

Who else could you write for that isn't a marketing agency?

Who else needs writing services and might pay more?

What other businesses in your local area can you solve problems for?

What are you good at? What are you passionate about? What other services could you offer? What other problems could you solve?

You're not getting responses, but you are getting results.

What will you change that will change your results?

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Good to see your progressing - I would cut out writing for internet companies or freelance sites and hit up local companies. It is easy to rank them higher simply by writing more content than their competitors. Most sites put up a few pages > About Us > Services > Contact > by contacting them I would offer 10 articles in their niche for $200 with a guarantee that this will spike traffic to their website it will work - throw in some social media and they will get calls.

With my local businesses (services for homeowners) some of which are seasonal, when one goes quiet and I want to get the phone ringing again I write some content and post it.Sometimes I'll write on the crapper ..

You cannot write for $5 anyone paying you that is taking the piss - you need to get your head in their business and understand it this takes time and $5 is too low, especially living in Toronto.

What other skills do you have? I'm in Burlington if you want to work/experience a few different fields I'm more than happy to help you out, spend a day or 2 showing you some services that are in demand in Toronto ( I turn down calls every day). Its not fastlane but Its way faster than slow

Chin up mate!

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Freelance writing is not easy. Copywriting is even tougher. You have to write to get noticed, write fast to keep up with demand, and write well to get paid well.

Some markets think writing is nothing special because "everybody starts learning it in kindergarten". Standing out from the crowd is the first step to getting traction. Sending a bland email that says "here I am, look at me" will get you tossed in the trash as fast as they can click -- assuming it's not automated. Say something that appeals to them. Try to address their needs and problems. Convince them you'll make their world better.

Look closely at so called 'internet marketing' companies and 'seo writing' jobs. Most are crap that pay less than content mills.

Look for full service advertising agencies, direct response marketing companies, trade publications, newsletter publishers, magazine publishers, content marketing companies, professional bloggers/blog networks. And as someone else mentioned earlier: be the mom and pop content agency. Offer your services to non marketing local companies.

You also need to get over your fear of speed and length if you want to get anywhere. Speed is crucial these days and a 2000 word article is normal for some industries or publications. When I wrote direct response copy, some of my sales letters topped 10,000 words. This is why I suggested you write 2000 words a day. Samples if need be until you get paid gigs. It gets you used to doing it, builds your confidence and skills, and shows potential clients that you have stamina in addition to talent.

Christiano

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Sep 3, 2015
Dallas
Skipping the family stuff for two reasons:

1) No excuses
2) Nothing to learn here relevant to the solution

I would actually consider offering ghostwriting services right out of the gate. There's a big need for content as everyone is looking to write blogs and stand out which they use and post all over their social as well as for SEO. Better for repeat business since it's important they maintain a consistent branding voice (one of your talking points when pitching them by the way).

Proper branding can be key. Heck, you could call yourself: The Ghost Riter

www.theghostriter.com (domain available)

Go to namechk.com and all social is available with the exception of Twitter and Tumblr

Writing effective copy is another matter altogether. It comes up in my consultancy practice from time to time and if you don't know how to sell to people, then you are not going to write copy that matters. No offense, but if you think "cold emailing" which is terrible....is going to work, then you don't know how to sell.

Please get on the phone as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Nearly every business is worried they are not writing good blog posts, content, newsletter content etc

I wouldnt put the word SEO anywhere if I were you, just pop into all the local businesses nearby in person and ask if they need help in writing their content. Offer to do the first one for free and give them your price per word so they know where they stand. 10c a word is pretty reasonable. Also tell them that you will try to push any newsworthy things into the local newspaper for a PR boost.

All this get you:
1. Gets you out of the house
2. Land some jobs and the family is off your back
3. then you can call yourself a Copy Editor or something so your parents know how to explain you to their friends.

D

Deleted35442

Okay. Wow. I read fast and ended up reading through the whole thread to where you are now. You have a circle of friends that have deteriorated around you and a family that has become toxic and unsupportive to you. I too have student loan debt just above the 50k mark in principle.

Indeed, you need to get a game plan together here and picking up one $50 job at a time is a start but is by no means sustainable. If you're hustling to be in the slow-lane trying to build a brand as a professional copywriter with your results still being poverty, why not suffer working toward a Fastlane endeavor instead? I am all for traveling and cultural immersion. I was offered a coveted position in China making a modest $30K a year. I decided to stay in NYC, where I do have friends and a support network and where my business will have a presence.
On the topic, read this: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/241761
I say do this, AFTER you pay your loans off, and AFTER you have money to spend.

MY ADVICE:

1. Firstly, yes, I hear the same thing about Toronto. Move. Not internationally. Still, stay local. Still be location-indepedent. What if I told you I can survive on less than $4000 per year and live in NYC? This is exactly what I do. My rent is $90 monthly for a parking spot in Queens. I live in a van but spend the bulk of my time in Manhattan. This is a lifestyle known as "Van dwelling" for some, here's a guy in Vancouver that does the same: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/27/mobile-living-vancouver-van-dwellers-housing_n_2560651.html For as little as $500, you could have a van just like him, be independent, and live where you want.
2. I was also big into bodybuilding. I still lift, but not the extent where I'm eating my weight in grams of protein daily, supplementing and eating well. Keep active and healthy the best you can, but might need to delay some of this for the time being. Cut back.
3. I literally just started using this and rec it for everyone that wants a disposable # they can text and receive calls on for free. Look up the app Sideline on the app market. On that note, look into using Republic Wireless if you aren't already. Hands down best/cheapest network.
4. For cold emails, install Sidekick http://www.getsidekick.com/ (no relation to Sideline), indicates immediately who opens an email, how many times it was open, down to the location it was opened in. Real fun to use too.
5. Never use Freelancer.com, they suck. Learn more and diversify your offerings. Offer more on fiverr.com even. The more you learn, the more informed you'll be in finding a problem to solve that will become your Fastlane business. You can even write a sob story on http://www.gofundme.com. I see the craziest shit get funded there.
6. Maybe work locally for a bit to start to get your funds back up to par to float. Right up around the $5k mark should do it. And to echo what the other person said about...Downloading PDFs. Great book. Learn to sell. http://www.torrentjoker.net/tutoria...way-in-business-and-in-life-pdf-mp3-epub.html

Follow the above and you should be unstoppable. Will keep tabs on your developments here. All the best.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I taught English for 18 months in thailand, I would recommend it but you should cure the depression first. I knew a guy who was depressed and everything he touched was negative, we tried but couldn't cheer the guy up. Alcohol cheered him up so he went drinking every night.

I did 16 hours a week and it was pretty simple, but they expect you to hang in the office all day. I guess you can work on something there.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
very true. Article writing isn't going to do much. That is why I am honing the skill of novels, because fiction in romance, mystery, paranormal is where the money is, and quality writing. And screen writing seems to be a big thing for television and movies these days.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Great Thread. Love the Action Taking.
Keep at it. Courage is where most people fall off. rather than put on courage they go with discouragement and end up depressed. One thing that has always helped me is the principle of "just one more". Like today, I had to make a few cold phone calls to prospective clients and the response was straight up depressing, but I just kept saying to myself. Just one more phone, just one more client, and with that I was able to hit my target for the day despite the early rejections.
Just keep moving on, persist and I hope you push through.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Day 12
Daily Goals:

1. Write one blog comment to get paid (completed)
2. Write 1-2 sample articles for business website (completed)
3. Apply for freelance writing jobs

I need to slash out more daily tasks. At the moment I've been inflicted with a plague known as writer's block. I haven't even been able to pump out one article at all. It took me hours just to come up with several titles to write my articles on. I've had to completely re-write one of my articles again after reading it and not liking how it sounded. I really need to get these samples written so that I can stop applying for more freelance writing jobs which depends on me showing my portfolio of writing samples.

Successful/Paid writers don't have time for writers block. Strive to crank out 2000-5000 words per day.

1. Pick the niche/genre/topic area you want to write in.
2. Search twitter, Facebook, ehow and similar question sites for relevant questions and discussions.
3. Make a list of the top 10.
4. Write one or more articles for each.
5. Repeat.

If you can't think of a topic/niche, write software tutorials and book reviews. Write news summaries or write about the plotline of your favorite TV shows. Just write. 2000-5000 words every day.

Deusexmachinex

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Sep 1, 2015
Wow dude so much " :( " on your posts !

Stop with the negativity. Negativity is going to put your to the ground you have to stop with that.
You have to push through dude thats what separate the winners and the quiters. Push through or pivot, but never quit. Never let your energy and motivation go down. Keep the momentum.

Excuse me if I didn't have the time to read all your post but could you make a recap of:
1) What is your longterm goal ( You are working on a website where you write article: are you blogging ? )
2) You are applying to some marketing companies: what is it about please ?

Life is not supposed to be easy ! You have my support 100%. When you tell your "folks" that you've been kicked outta highschool try to explain them that you are hustling on the side, you must not appear like a desperate, lazy loser, but more like an excentric go-getting outsider. See its all about how you bend the truth.

pS: :D :D :D :D :D

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 21

Daily Goals:
1. Send out 20-30 prospecting emails to local marketing companies (completed)
2. Apply for writing gigs from job boards
3. Redesign freelance writing business website

I sent out 50 cold emails out today to prospective local internet marketing companies for a grant total of 100 emails so far sent out. I had two companies reply back today inquiring about pricing and writing samples. Hopefully both of them come on board. One of them told me their minimum blog post length is 2000 words. I never written any 2000 blog post before so that made me kind of anxious and nervous. For the past few days I was more and more demotivated sending out these cold prospecting emails because I hadn't gotten a single reply back, but now that I've started to get some replies back, I'm kind of scared shitless that I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I'm not confident in my ability to deliver a quality product for my clients. Funny how that works. Anyways we'll see what happens tomorrow if they reply back. I'm going to try and send out another 50 emails tomorrow as well.

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Best thing to do is to give a guarantee, if they dont like it they dont have to pay and you keep the article for your portfolio. Takes a lot of stress away about picking the right person.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
First client, your nervous, just do the work and get them onboard. If your really good you can raise your rates later.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Day 2

Daily goals:

1. Write 1 blog post on my personal blog (completed)
2. Call the employment centre and try to make an appointment for next week (completed)
3. Read 1 blog post from location 180 (completed)
4. Read 5-10 pages from copywriting101 from copyblogger (completed)
5. Apply for 1 job in Toronto (wasted a few hours because I found out the position was unpaid)
6. Put up transcription gig on fiverr (completed)
7. Apply for 1 job on upworks
8. Revise my resume and send it off to be reviewed 1 last time and then send it off the university in China (completed)
9. Sleep no later than 12:00am

I'm not going to bother listing exercise and eating healthy because I pretty much try to do that everyday anyways.

Last edited:

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
China?!

You're inspired, but you lack focus.

Don't be tempted to throw a bunch of shit at the wall in hopes something will stick.

Choose one thing that is the most necessary for you right now, and go hard.

Do you need to pay your rent because you're 3 months behind? You best be hammering away for a menial job. The Sushi shop sounds good, but you're broke, so McDonalds sounds just as good.

Then, when you get it, use your downtime to hammer away at ONE THING.

Copy? Eat, breathe, and shit copy. Apply to Upwork jobs until your fingers are blue.

Wanna code apps? Eat, breathe, and shit coding. Then build an app and learn how to sell the shit out of it.

Wanna start running traffic? Eat, breathe, and shit internet marketing. You'll need to use your money, but you'll learn the game even if it takes thousands of dollars and several months.

These aren't your only options, but you have to make a CHOICE and STICK TO IT. It's hard for most of us. But nobody said it would be easy.

Your right I'm spread out too thin right now. I think it must be due to the desperation or something. The reason why I decided to apply to go be an English teacher in China is because I would only be working 16-20 hours a week which would give me a lot of time to focus on building my skill sets and doing freelance work on the side. I would also be able to learn Mandarin which would be invaluable in the future. Also I thought it would be a good idea to have a big change of scenery after all that's happened as of late. They also provide a fully furnished apartment free and some school's even pay for all of your utilities and even serve you 3 meals a day. My living expenses essentially would be covered and I would then be able to focus 100% on whatever I needed to focus on.

I think I'm going to scratch off looking for a fulltime job related to my field of studies. It was never my intention to even apply for these jobs but I was persuaded by the caseworker at the employment centre. It's just taking too much time away from other things I could be focusing on like freelance work and looking for a part-time job. As for the teaching job in China, I'm going to compile a list of all the universities in cities I'm interested in teaching in and then spend 1 day sending out all of my CV's to each of the school's, then once that's done I can scratch that off of my list and focus on upworks and part-time jobs.

I'm currently doing an online English tutoring job which also eats into my schedule, I spend about 3 hours each night 7 days a week during my shifts tutoring students, however the pay is shit and I only get paid by the minute if I'm actually tutoring a student otherwise I'm not getting anything. I've only made about $265 for about 3 weeks of week which is peanuts, so I'm hoping I can transition from doing this to doing freelance work on upworks instead.

thunder_god

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 20, 2015
Just had my tutoring account temporarily disabled because they said my internet is not sufficient enough at the moment. WTF! My only source of income has been cut off.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.