The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 2015 Fastlane Meetup Pre-Plan Discussion (formerly B&P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
I would definitely be interested in listening to an ecommerce panel. Great idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This was not our intent. Our original purpose is to be able to pick the topics that have the most value for the attendees, and to advertise them prior to ticket sales so people have insight to what they will be hearing. I guess if more than 15 come in, we will have to pick. It also ensures there are no surprises or topics that might be relevant for 3 and irrelevant for 47.

So in essence, yes, lol. I wouldn't say you are competing though, more so seeing if you fit in where needed.

The other advantage to this, is to change up bigger groups like @Eskil suggested with a panel for amazon stuff for instance. Last year there were quite a few Amazon preso's with similar advice, having a panel will elicit much more value from those presenters because they each don't need to pitch the general idealogy after its gone over and everyone can get into their experience and various things they have gone through.

I think this will be a cool change up to B&P, great decisions so far @MJ DeMarco & @Red

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
However, it would be silly to have 4-5 presentations on the same exact topic.

Moreover, there simply won't be 4-5 presentations touching on the same topic out of 12-15 presentations overall, so this may be the only way to harness the collective expertise of the attendees on those subjects. However, if you have a segment with a 5-panelist discussion, it is probably an unreasonable expectation that each panelist would get a ticket at 50% off. So, prospective panelists, if MJ/Red like the idea, be prepared to be reasonable on your expectations for renumeration.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
i don't like the panel idea

That would mean the presenters have to spend time collaborating beforehand and we are all extremely busy. Don't think it's fair to the presenters

Also I can speak on writing copy since it's going to be all online related and that would help more people

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
i don't like the panel idea

That would mean the presenters have to spend time collaborating beforehand and we are all extremely busy. Don't think it's fair to the presenters

Also I can speak on writing copy since it's going to be all online related and that would help more people

I think a few panels will bring added value and would be a great change in the event. Some of the people that would likely be on a panel have already expressed that they like the idea regardless if it takes a little more time in prep. I don't think the whole event should be a panel based event but maybe one or two panels per day would be great.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Having moderated panels before (and I am moderating a panel discussion at CES 2015 in Las Vegas) the bulk of the work for a panel discussion falls on to the shoulders of the moderator. Other than participating in 1-2 prep discussion calls, for the panelists it is actually much easier and less time consuming than a 45 minute presentation. So... if they decide to do this, start thinking about if you would want to volunteer to lead a panel discussion. That's where the work sits as the moderator shapes the discussion, the flow, and regulates the Q&A portion.

I might recommend to Red and MJ if they consider this, that the panel discussion should be an hour in length, with 40 minutes being the panel discussion, and 20 minutes being the Q&A at the end (depending on subject matter. maybe longer).

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
presenters have to spend time collaborating beforehand and we are all extremely busy
Any presenter will have to spend some time preparing anyway, and I honestly don't think that much more time would have to go into it for panel teams.

And like Allen said, this isn't to make the whole event panel based. I still think the majority of presentations would and should be individual ones. But let's say - each day could have one, big panel topic - and the rest of the presentations that day, before and after it, would be individuals.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Having moderated panels before (and I am moderating a panel discussion at CES 2015 in Las Vegas) the bulk of the work for a panel discussion falls on to the shoulders of the moderator. Other than participating in 1-2 prep discussion calls, for the panelists it is actually much easier and less time consuming than a 45 minute presentation. So... if they decide to do this, start thinking about if you would want to volunteer to lead a panel discussion. That's where the work sits as the moderator shapes the discussion, the flow, and regulates the Q&A portion.

I might recommend to Red and MJ if they consider this, that the panel discussion should be an hour in length, with 40 minutes being the panel discussion, and 20 minutes being the Q&A at the end (depending on subject matter. maybe longer).

That sounds a lot better

From an attendee standpoint its a lot better to do panels, but a lot more work for presenters. Using that system we'd get the best of both worlds

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I do NOT want to moderate a panel. If they decide to do a few, it's a great opportunity for someone else to step up.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I do NOT want to moderate a panel. If they decide to do a few, it's a great opportunity for someone else to step up.
If not chosen then I could happily moderate as well, though I think that @throttleforward has me outstripped on experience.

That being said, in my former life as a geneticist/developmental biologist, I've seen a TON of moderated panels. And as Vigilante says, they're ultimately as good or bad as the moderator and the level of participant engagement.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seems like more than 50 people are serious about joining this.

Yea, at least until it comes time to opening up wallets and paying for airfare, hotels, etc. Then 250 people suddenly drops to 35.

Should I just bow out now?

No man, not at all.

I honestly don't think that much more time would have to go into it for panel teams.

Well if we allow for a "panel" session it will cut down on the presentation times. We will need to make that determination once we see what all the topics are about. 6 people discussing AMAZON at 45 min per is overkill.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Well if we allow for a "panel" session it will cut down on the presentation times. We will need to make that determination once we see what all the topics are about. 6 people discussing AMAZON at 45 min per is overkill.

My recommendation would be a 3 person panel with 1 moderator, 10 min. remarks/presentation per panelist, moderated Q&A for 20 min. 1 hr-ish total time. That's how they tend to do it in DC, +/- 5min/panelist.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If we are going to present, do we need to watch for tickets?

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
If we are going to present, do we need to watch for tickets?

If you're selected to speak then you're guaranteed a ticket & it will be at half price.

AffPlaybook

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 20, 2012
I'm fairly new to the forum (but not the industry), so I have a couple ideas for speaking but wanted to gauge interest. My main idea would be:

How to dominate with recurring membership sites
  • How to select a niche and set up the site
  • Pricing strategies, conversion funnels, and upsells
  • Utilizing social media to create a cult like following
  • How to get content written for your site in any niche
  • Utilizing paid traffic to grow your site, and what metrics are important (most people don't focus on the right ones)
I can expand on this if there's interest. I've done a lot with membership sites over the last 5 years. When I say 'membership site', it includes things like paid newsletters. So, I would cover different membership models.

Some of my qualifications:

- I own one of the largest paid/private affiliate marketing forums.
- I have 3 membership sites that earn a substantial amount of recurring income each month, and a handful of others that earn a modest amount. Most of these run with very little involvement from me personally.
- I've done consulting work for traffic sources, and a variety of companies.

Again, not sure if this fits with the Fastlane Meetup but I thought I would throw it out there :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
From my experience, panel discussions tend to dilute the message. The persons with the information in their heads are not laying it out in as clear of a format as they would if they were telling the story. I think the panel discussions work better with small interactive groups. I would prefer to hear it free-flow from a few people than have a message be stifled.

Having a couple of panel discussions would allow for more people to talk though.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Hi Mj and Fastlaners
I can’t believe I have missed this .
@ ESKIL thank you for letting me know as it wasn’t on my radar I came last year from Abu Dhabi and enjoyed meeting you all and the fantastic take outs.

I would love to attend.

For those of you that don’t know I work in Film , theatre and TV and Large scale events with over 15+ years of face to face to face communication coaching. My work is always centered on communication and conveying a message particularly how to maximize this in face to face communication….

Getting a deep understanding of yourself and your communication style ( verbal, vocal, visual ) and familiarity with your habits the way you communicate as well as a becoming more flexible in your communication style when interacting with others...
@Red ..i will post this on this thread as well PM you this.

My pitch for a slot in 2015:

RAPPORT MASTERCLASS

I would like to build on my presentation of last year if I am allowed looking at fundamentals of Rapport in face to face communication ( B=P attendees last year .. if I added value for you please chime in and help me get a slot!)

These tools are essential communication tools and can be applied to sales , influence relationships, life , meetings, first encounters with a client or customer , pitching etc.

RAPPORT

What is it ?

What does it look like?

How do you know you have rapport?

How do you actually influence and build to have rapport. ( These skills are life skills and can be applied in your work and or relationships )

Why is rapport important? What role does it play in influencing others?

Having extensively coached in many facets of Face to face communication as well as having years of experience in the entertainment industry ....
The work i will propose is participatory , you will be up on your feet again , probably for some out of your comfort zone ,trying things out and what I find is that this is a really good ice breaker for all . We will go deeper down the rabbit hole……..

From what I garnered from last year the master class will lead into :

BREAK DOWN :

Whole group interaction :

Rapport :

Awareness of :
First Impressions : How do we form an impression about someone when we first meet them?

Building a Positive First impression ..How do we do this

Looking at your message ( a refresher from what I discussed from 2013)

Verbal : How do the words you are using impact your message?

Tonality: How does the sound of your voice impact your message?

Nonverbal messaging : What is body language? What are your default stances? What messages are you conveying?

These tools can be applied to any filed, sales , influence relationships, life , meetings, first encounters with a client or customer,

Then the work will culminate into 2 intensive sessions to answer this question related to Rapport:

What happens when we interact with someone who is not aligned with our preference in communication styles??

“ FIRST IMPRESSIONS”

I will pick 1 or 2 participants (at least one depending on time) who want to delve further and share the work with the whole group observing

I will look at their communication preference and offer coaching in role play / model ask one or two participants to engage and build rapport with me , .

I will pick a simple scenario : e.g. client meeting

My communication style / preference will be diametrically opposed to theirs. So they will have a stretch….but we will only focus on the first minute of the interaction …..As that is here first the impressions are built.

I will give feedback and also ask the group observing what they saw.

Coaching tips will be given and we will run it again to see if the first impression has improved.
DEBRIEF:

I will debrief the session and answer any questions that arise.

My methodology is to try things as this is the best way I learn and my coaching is geared this,

The greatest learning is in the “doing “ or application of what is discussed especially with rapport.

Added Bonus: DAILY GROUP WARM UP/ENERGIZER

This is not a touchy feely session …focus is very specific..

From my observations of last year I felt that people seemed to warm up into their presentations..

Having something rehearsed and then presenting it ,often causes a mismatch , we have to deal with adrenaline that kicks in …

What I can also volunteer to do is to run a WHOLE GROUP a 9 minute “energizer” on each of the presentation days first thing in the morning .

DAY 1 PRESENTATIONS : I will run a 9 minute whole group warm up session : intention is to get you vocally and physically ready to present , break the ice also by engaging with each other.

DAY 2 Presentations : Have a refresher and also run an energizer to get the whole group focused and physically and vocally ready for the day .

Thanks ,

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Verbal : How do the words you are using impact your message?

This has had a big impact on me this year. I am not the best communicator. I have made effort during the past year to think carefully about words used and the emphasis that is placed on them.

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I'd be highly interested in attending, but now that I think about it, I'm wondering if someone who was pretty much a total fastlane newbie would be able to get that much out of the presentations? I'd hate to take up a spot that could've gone to someone that would have been able to understand and apply everything much better.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You can feel the buzz. You can tell when you are socializing with people from this group. Your words are no longer hindered because there is no need to hold back. People speak your language here. Nobody thinks you are crazy for when you are talking about risk or riches.

Plus, it is fun to see where everyone is at in their journey. That changes every year.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
You can feel the buzz. You can tell when you are socializing with people from this group. Your words are no longer hindered because there is no need to hold back. People speak your language here. Nobody thinks you are crazy for when you are talking about risk or riches.

Plus, it is fun to see where everyone is at in their journey. That changes every year.
Yes! This is what I'm looking forward to. It's gets a little old when people give the "oooOOOokay, what the heck is he talking about?!" look. ;)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yes! This is what I'm looking forward to. It's gets a little old when people give the "oooOOOokay, what the heck is he talking about?!" look. ;)

Odd.... this is the look I get every year AT THE MEETUP !

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
RAPPORT MASTERCLASS
I would like to build on my presentation of last year if I am allowed looking at fundamentals of Rapport in face to face communication ( B=P attendees last year .. if I added value for you please chime in and help me get a slot!)

Man... your presentation last time was awesome, @Arrabista ! We need you to come back.. ;) Would be so cool to have you be one of the first presenters as an initial 'ice breaker'. Instantly sets the mood for the days to come.

For those who missed out - on paper it may seem like this guy's presentation isn't all that "relevant to business" - but I beg to differ. The skills he teaches are priceless when you're doing negotiations, meeting with vendors, pitching to investors/companies, meeting with new business partners, and much more. Good vs poor communication skills and rapport (or lack thereof) can make or break your deals.

Highly relevant for the Fastlane, IMO.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Mj and Fastlaners
I can’t believe I have missed this .
@ ESKIL thank you for letting me know as it wasn’t on my radar I came last year from Abu Dhabi and enjoyed meeting you all and the fantastic take outs.
I would love to attend.
For those of you that don’t know I work in Film , theatre and TV and Large scale events with over 15+ years of face to face to face communication coaching. My work is always centered on communication and conveying a message particularly how to maximize this in face to face communication….
Getting a deep understanding of yourself and your communication style ( verbal, vocal, visual ) and familiarity with your habits the way you communicate as well as a becoming more flexible in your communication style when interacting with others...
@Red ..i will post this on this thread as well PM you this.
Man... your presentation last time was awesome, @Arrabista ! We need you to come back.. ;) Would be so cool to have you be one of the first presenters as an initial 'ice breaker'. Instantly sets the mood for the days to come.

For those who missed out - on paper it may seem like this guy's presentation isn't all that "relevant to business" - but I beg to differ. The skills he teaches are priceless when you're doing negotiations, meeting with vendors, pitching to investors/companies, meeting with new business partners, and much more. Good vs poor communication skills and rapport (or lack thereof) can make or break your deals.

Highly relevant for the Fastlane, IMO.

Easily my favorite presentation from the last meetup.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
How long are you asking folks to speak, btw ...?

I might propose a discussion about Pre-nups, Post-nups, Cohabitation agreements and divorce related issues that impact entrepreneurs.

Lord knows the legal system does not relate to us ... don't you do NOT want a slowlane judge deciding your fate.

Nothing can ruin your success faster ... and undo everything you accomplished ... faster than divorce court.

You know ... I was just thinking ... another topic that might be of interest ... would be the Nuclear Option ... Bankruptcy protection.

Most successful entrepreneurs ... at some point ... find themselves (or their businesses) in bankruptcy court ... and not infrequently more than once.

Failure and success go hand in hand ... and we are (by definition) risk takers.

Even if you are lucky enough never find yourself in BK court ... odds are ... you will know plenty of entrepreneurs who one day will.

But ... the fact is ... most people know very little about bankruptcy protection ... when (in fact) they should.

Contingency planning goes a long way.

So I think another good topic would be "bankruptcy protection for entrepreneurs" ... advantages ... disadvantages ... how it works ... how to avoid costly mistakes ... how to more effectively shelter your assets in bankruptcy ... etc.

Hope for the best ... prepare for the worst.

One idea might be to spend some time talking about the domestic relations issues I mentioned earlier ... and the rest of the time talking about the bankruptcy issues. Whatever makes the most sense.

The common theme here being ... advance planning for when the shit hits the fan ... be it at home ... or with your creditors.

Statistically speaking ... half the people in the audience ... will be in divorce court ... bankruptcy court ... or both ... at some point in their lives.

I think bankruptcy for entrepreneurs is (also) a good topic.

What do you think?

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You know ... I was just thinking ... another topic that might be of interest ... would be the Nuclear Option ... Bankruptcy protection.

Most successful entrepreneurs ... at some point ... find themselves (or their businesses) in bankruptcy court ... and not infrequently more than once.

Failure and success go hand in hand ... and we are (by definition) risk takers.

Even if you are lucky enough never find yourself in BK court ... odds are ... you will know plenty of entrepreneurs who one day will.

But ... the fact is ... most people know very little about bankruptcy protection ... when (in fact) they should.

Contingency planning goes a long way.

So I think another good topic would be "bankruptcy protection for entrepreneurs" ... advantages ... disadvantages ... how it works ... how to avoid costly mistakes ... how to more effectively shelter your assets in bankruptcy ... etc.

Hope for the best ... prepare for the worst.

One idea might be to spend some time talking about the domestic relations issues I mentioned earlier ... and the rest of the time talking about the bankruptcy issues. Whatever makes the most sense.

The common theme here being ... advance planning for when the shit hits the fan ... be it at home ... or with your creditors.

Statistically speaking ... half the people in the audience ... will be in divorce court ... bankruptcy court ... or both ... at some point in their lives.

I think bankruptcy for entrepreneurs is (also) a good topic.

What do you think?
I'd like to hear about protecting a judgement that you have against someone that might go BK to get out of it. But, I need to know now not in Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!