The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally moving to Scottsdale, Arizona!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Jason, Boris:
Do you care where this office is at? Because my office/warehouse is too small and I'm looking to move to a bigger place. But my office is going to be probably closer to N. Scottsdale. If I can get some short commitments for office space, I will lease a much larger building. You guys probably want to be in Old Town though right?

Yah - we're looking at Office Space in old town, right near the Breakfast Club actually.

I think we both want to be near Old Town, and we have a friend with Office Space right near there.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
What didnt you like about WA state? I have so many friends who are moving there from Southern California and Arizona I lost count...

Howdy partners…
Since moving back to the states from Norway in 2010, our plan all along was to get settled somewhere else than WA state (where we have lived now for 4 years).

Our plan for years was to get back to California, but after hearing the constant praise of Arizona from the likes of MJ and several of my forum friends here, I started thinking more and more that maybe Scottsdale, AZ would be the right place to be after all! :) Then this past February, at B&P, I was really sold. Knowing how many people from the forum here who calls the place home – it just felt right to be closer to my fellow entrepreneurs. And besides – the more I told the wife and kids about the place (and the more they researched it themselves) – the more eager they were to move there too! :)

And now I’m excited to say that we are only 10 days away from making our big move to Scottsdale.
Can’t wait to soak up the sun in our new backyard while I think up new ways to grow my businesses!! :)
gLZw67T.jpg

Thanks a ton to @Red for helping us with the relocation!

So of course I have some questions for y’all too:

Best ______ service?
Instead of Googling this, I prefer asking you guys here.
- What fast/reliable/good ISP service do you recommend in Scottsdale?
- How about cable / phone companies? Same as above, bundled? Or best to keep separate?

Now... who here lives in the general area?
Off the top of my head:
@MJ DeMarco
@Genium
@AllenCrawley
@Red
@biophase
@bensonj
@VinceT
@Catalyst
@SteveO
Did I forget anybody?

Others, like RealOG, JasonR, AndrewNC, and TheTruth are on temporary leaves away from the area but might come back :) Now we just need to talk even more people to going, so we can build a small commune, lol.

Will all the rest of you who live in the general Scottsdale/Phoenix/surrounding areas here please raise your hands? If anyone wants to meet up some time after we get settled in, I’m all for it!
Bonus question - what lesser known fact might pleasantly surprise me about Scottsdale after moving there? :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
any of you ever worry about AZ running out of water due to drought?

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
What didnt you like about WA state? I have so many friends who are moving there from Southern California and Arizona I lost count...

Lol... well, what DID I like here? :)
No I mean, just like Norway (where I'm from), Washington's summers CAN sometimes be very nice. And I did like being so close to the ocean, and always seeing beautiful snowcapped mountains in the horizon everywhere. They do have some amazing walking trails here, with lush, moss-covered trees that are centuries old, and BIG.

But... again like Norway, Washington's fall and winter leaves less to be desired. Come October, you can pretty much forget about spending time outside again until like March/April. 6 months of the year you're stuck indoors, looking out the window at grey skies, rain, fog, and more rain. And temps in the 40's and 50's (at best). And even the spring and summer time isn't always that nice either. I like predictable weather. And you don't get that here. You can't plan shit more than a few days ahead because you never know when the next downpour will come, OR sunshine for that matter. It's all a roll of the dice. So that's another thing that wasn't for me.

My favorite places that I have been to are: Southern California, Hawaii, and Arizona. They all have in common that they pretty much have an eternal summer, predictable and constant sun and heat. :) Perfect! Oh and palm trees. Lots of palm trees. :) None of that in WA, lol.

Now ideally, I would prefer a place like Santa Barbara, CA or Maui, HI over Scottsdale - simply because of the ocean and beaches they give access to. That's one sacrifice of going to AZ. But we can always travel and see those places. Maybe get a vacation home at some point and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Now my counter question when I hear people moving TO a place like Washington is: What made those people leave a nicer climate to go to a worse one? (other than work or perhaps family, which was our original reason).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
We're thinking about setting up a small office in Scottsdale, mainly for @TheTruth and I, but we be open to sharing it with some other entrepreneurs in the area.

Ideally, we'd have some extra space and a few desks if some Fastlaners/Entrepreneurs wanted to drop by and hang out for a few days, or something.

Would be cool to visit for a few days, mention it to tech groups as a cowork space and you could meet a lot off great people that could potentially be great contacts

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Now my counter question when I hear people moving TO a place like Washington is: What made those people leave a nicer climate to go to a worse one? (other than work or perhaps family, which was our original reason).

I live in California and have no plans to move so just telling you what everyone I know has told me...

They are tired of the shitty local economy, lack of rain, severe drought that will only get worse, horrible toxic air quality, terribly unhealthy water quality, sand storms, earthquakes, wildfires, dirty pollution, hepatitis filled ocean water, overcrowded, traffic, insanely high crime rate, overpriced real estate, high cost of living, 10 shades of brown with zero green anywhere to be found, stuck up rude people, unbearable heat....

just what the people I know who are moving have told me

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Who doesn't live in Scottsdale? Jeez!

Am I the only one in Washington now? :p

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
any of you ever worry about AZ running out of water due to drought?
That's a huge problem in Arizona and it will start affecting millions of people. Almost all of the water comes from the Colorado river (which also supplies Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Tucson and several other cities). These cities keep growing while the Colorado river water level keeps dropping due to drought and over consumption.

On a more positive note, enjoy Arizona :D

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Lol... well, what DID I like here? :)
No I mean, just like Norway (where I'm from), Washington's summers CAN sometimes be very nice. And I did like being so close to the ocean, and always seeing beautiful snowcapped mountains in the horizon everywhere. They do have some amazing walking trails here, with lush, moss-covered trees that are centuries old, and BIG.

But... again like Norway, Washington's fall and winter leaves less to be desired. Come October, you can pretty much forget about spending time outside again until like March/April. 6 months of the year you're stuck indoors, looking out the window at grey skies, rain, fog, and more rain. And temps in the 40's and 50's (at best). And even the spring and summer time isn't always that nice either. I like predictable weather. And you don't get that here. You can't plan shit more than a few days ahead because you never know when the next downpour will come, OR sunshine for that matter. It's all a roll of the dice. So that's another thing that wasn't for me.

My favorite places that I have been to are: Southern California, Hawaii, and Arizona. They all have in common that they pretty much have an eternal summer, predictable and constant sun and heat. :) Perfect! Oh and palm trees. Lots of palm trees. :) None of that in WA, lol.

Now ideally, I would prefer a place like Santa Barbara, CA or Maui, HI over Scottsdale - simply because of the ocean and beaches they give access to. That's one sacrifice of going to AZ. But we can always travel and see those places. Maybe get a vacation home at some point and enjoy the best of both worlds.

You can eventually navigate yourself into having the best of both worlds. We will spend seven months on Maui in late 2015 and into 2016, completely skipping the worst of the seasonality on the mainland.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
You can eventually navigate yourself into having the best of both worlds. We will spend seven months on Maui in late 2015 and into 2016, completely skipping the worst of the seasonality on the mainland.

Yep! This is basically my entire Fastlane lifestyle 'game plan'. Have a home base in sunny, entrepreneurial Scottsdale. Then maybe go visit family in Norway when Norwegian summers are at their peak, then X months of the year stay in places like Maui and elsewhere :)

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I live over on Scottsdale/Camelback in Old Town.

Cox is the best internet out here, 150mbps for ~$100/month.

As far as business banks here, I'd recommend Chase. They have been the best and would recommend them.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

OdorcicD

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Feb 2, 2014
I was just in Scottsdale for a golf vacation with a friend. Unfortunately, our rental home was broken into while playing a round on Monday morning and had all our valuables stolen. (Must've been a large guy, ripped the front door right off the hinges) If it wasn't for that, I'd love this place even in its hottest months, but the incident spoiled it a bit that's for sure. Golf is cheap, accessible, and the courses there are superb!

allthatjazz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 31, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes! Great to hear you made it out here! Keep me in the meet up loop!

Internet: I use centurylink and it has been OK depending on what you are used to. Occasional outages, maybe 1 in 6 months. Now that I'm out in Fountain Hills the only available option has been 12mbps which isn't super speedy, but it's getting the job done.

Bonus question - what lesser known fact might pleasantly surprise me about Scottsdale after moving there?
The monsoons! Maybe not your cup of tea, but when the clouds come in to block that brutal sun, along with all the rain and lightening - it's a welcome change.

the5thpgriff

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 17, 2014
Southern California
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread but... What is it about Scottsdale/Phoenix? I've heard of a few other entrepreneurs choosing Arizona before joining The Fastlane Forum and now I see it consistently while reading post on here. What's the deal?!?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread but... What is it about Scottsdale/Phoenix? I've heard of a few other entrepreneurs choosing Arizona before joining The Fastlane Forum and now I see it consistently while reading post on here. What's the deal?!?
I'm curious if there's something too.

I'm just moving there cause it's beautiful, the weather is a 1 billion times improvement over Pennsylvania, I've always been interested in the desert/western thing. I love southwest cooking.

Plus it looks like I'll have some damn good company.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

The #1 reason I moved here is because of the weather and beautiful southwest scenery. I lived in Yuma for a short period when I was young and had vacationed here a couple times so I knew I wanted to live here. 320+ days a year of sunshine is amazing.

The cost of living here is about the same as living in Indiana (where I moved from). In some aspects is even cheaper living here.

From what I understand Arizona is small business friendly and they are taking steps to appeal to more startups and entrepreneurs. It's a possibility that google fiber will be available here in the near future.

I'll just leave these here...

http://www.experiencescottsdale.com/

For the exotic car lovers out there...

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A word of caution. I may say what people there might be too polite to say.

Eskil, this post is not directed towards you or have anything to do with you moving there. It's for people curious as to the perception that people are flocking to Scottsdale faster than a 80 year old Minnesotan after winning the lottery.

DON'T MOVE THERE BECAUSE YOU THINK IT MIGHT GET YOU A GOLDEN TICKET TO BE PART OF THE CLUB.

Why? Because there is no club. Read that again. There IS no club. There's no commune. There's no regular meet up. There's no expectations. There's no guaranteed network. There's no friendship base just waiting for you to complete the clique.

You might have a chance to meet a few more people from the forum as a few more are concentrated there than anywhere else. As is the case in any major city, there are forum members who live there. You might on occasion meet some of them.

However, don't move there thinking that there's a great social club that you will join. You're not likely to be come MJ's (or Allens, or Biophases, or...) new BFF. Hell, Biophase spends more time on the back of an elephant in Africa than he does wishing you would join him in Scottsdale.

There are stories of the opposite happening. There are stories of people moving there with the expectation that Fast Lane members hang out together 24-7 in a commune, and get there disillusioned to find out that there's no Fast Lane Welcoming Committee at the airport.

Select it for the same reasons you pick to live anywhere. Scottsdale is AWESOME 9 months out of the year, and more tolerable than other climates even in the bad months. The area is beautiful, the city is cool, and the climate is pretty great.

Do NOT move to Scottsdale because a lot of Fast Lane Forum members live there. The same could be said about Dallas, areas of California, and eventually multiple islands on Hawaii.

There's no club for you to join when you get there. You're not likely going to get invited over to Jason's apartment for a bar-b-que pool party every Sunday (unless you are an extremely hot and extremely rich chick, then you probably will.)

Just wanted to throw a reasonably cold blanket over the momentum so that people don't get the wrong impression.

Carry on and buy your plane tickets, kids. Just do it for the right reasons.

Last edited:

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
I'm sure TMF has something to do with the reasons why people are moving there :)

I just hope they realize that it wasn't the location per se that made MJ successful. He could have done just as well in Dead-horse Alaska with his mindset.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I just hope they realize that it wasn't the location per se that made MJ successful. He could have done just as well in Dead-horse Alaska with his mindset.

@MJ DeMarco might disagree with ya on that. In short, I am more productive than I could have ever hoped for back in Indy.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
Yes, you're right. I think that's the case for many. However, perhaps it's the act of moving somewhere else and changing your surroundings and entourage that made the difference, not necessarily the state or city where you moved (especially in MJs case where his online business could have worked from anywhere). Just my opinion of course.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I REALLY truly strongly believe your environment has a lot to do with your motivation/mood/energy/productivity.

I honestly have no PLANNED interest in meeting anyone on this forum, although I do find it pretty cool a lot of people from this forum live there. However, I've always wanted to live someplace in the southwest/desert region and it seems like a lot of people on this forum have a reason for living there so obviously there must be a good reason to do so.

A friend recently visited there a few days ago and sent me some pictures and boy is it beautiful!

Now I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't MIND meeting some of y'all but I wouldn't expect anyone to form friendships with me or go out on a regular basis or have cookouts or whatever lol you've got your own lives to live and I've got mine.

:cigar:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He could have done just as well in Dead-horse Alaska with his mindset.

I'm not sure about that. I'm powered by the sun.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Some of us do some things together. That is because we are friends. Some of us also meet occasionally for lunch or coffee. I enjoy talking about business with people that understand my language. It is not frequent, but we do meet-up sometimes.

Most people that I know DO NOT GIVE A F*ck about what I am doing. Nor would they care about what other people are working on. That is the reason that I am on this forum.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
@Vigilante - Yes that is a good thing to point out for people who might think moving here is an instant ticket to daily dinners with MJ, a secret TMF freemason style club house, weekly mastermind sessions, and a guaranteed boost in your business because of all that. (lol).

No for me like I've said weather/climate plays a major role, but I do also know that I will in fact get to meet some of my friends there from time to time. Be it once a month or sporadically, I don't care. At least I will have the option to go hang out with my friends there now, and they can come hang out with me. Whether we'll talk business, play a game of poker, or just have lunch together doesn't matter. It's about friendships - and not forever being limited to interacting with the same people only through Skype and emails.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.