The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh Gives Utterly Brilliant Advice

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
If one more person tells me to do what I love, or work in the field that I'd be willing to work in for free.... I think I'm going to shoot them in the face :)

Thanks for the post though ;)

- Hakrjak

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
If one more person tells me to do what I love, or work in the field that I'd be willing to work in for free.... I think I'm going to shoot them in the face :)

Thanks for the post though ;)

- Hakrjak

That was the ONE part of his advice I didn't agree with per se either. But all that other stuff I thought was very good.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the 500 page corporate manual kinda turned me off. Great for us employer's but that would scare me as an employee.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
the 500 page corporate manual kinda turned me off. Great for us employer's but that would scare me as an employee.

As I understood it's just what employees write about company there.. maybe I'm wrong though..

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009

Ha, apparently I'm going to spark a deep down hate of yours but I'm just curious? Why are you so adamant about not being able to do what you love to make money?

I'm not going to deny that this most likely isn't possible for everyone but it certainly is possible. I realize that there are quite a few here that think this so to anyone else don't think this excludes your response too.

What about doing something you enjoy causes you not to be able to make money in it? I mean, that's all it's saying and for it to be disagreed there must be some underlying thing that you think causes this.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Ha, apparently I'm going to spark a deep down hate of yours but I'm just curious? Why are you so adamant about not being able to do what you love to make money?

I'm not going to deny that this most likely isn't possible for everyone but it certainly is possible. I realize that there are quite a few here that think this so to anyone else don't think this excludes your response too.

What about doing something you enjoy causes you not to be able to make money in it? I mean, that's all it's saying and for it to be disagreed there must be some underlying thing that you think causes this.

Exactly what I think.

You just need some creativity to make it work. There is no reason why I (or anyone) can't make money off of doing something they like (and even help other people at the same time).

Looking forward to the answer :)

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia

Exactly what I think.

You just need some creativity to make it work. There is no reason why I (or anyone) can't make money off of doing something they like (and even help other people at the same time).

There is a thread that was posted in this forum sometime ago about how it is all well and good if you can make money doing what you love, but the reality is that the market could give a damn about what YOU love. (I can't remember the thread title, it's in the legends somewhere. I'll post a link when I find it)

Consumers don't buy a product or service because the creator loves it, they buy something because they want/need/desire it. Sometimes, in an attempt to "do what one loves," the turn down or fail to see other opportunities that while less pleasing to the soul are just as profitable, and a good opportunity. Also, if you do what you love in your fist attempt, it can be so damaging that an individual will simply give up and relegate themselves to the slowlane feeling though if they can't make a success in something they love, they may not be able to make something at all. Still others build businesses doing what they love, but the rigors of commercializing one's passions can sometimes strip the joy from that which the business is built on.

Those are pretty much the reasons I have seen for people getting upset when they hear the "do what you love" rhetoric. A true fastlane mind tries to see all opportunities, regardless of their affections towards them. All of the members of this forum root for the success of the other members, and to see someone limiting their options because they "don't love to do it" is a bit of a shame (if not downright criminal from a fastlane perspective.)

Keep an open mind to all opportunities. :cheers:

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I was trying to add the link to the referenced thread in the first paragraph. If a mod wants to remove this post, please do. The link is in the next one.

Last edited:

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia

Exactly what I think.

There is a thread that was posted in this forum sometime ago about how it is all well and good if you can make money doing what you love, but the reality is that the market could give a damn about what YOU love. (Do you have a Successful Entreprenurial Premise?)

Consumers don't buy a product or service because the creator loves it, they buy something because they want/need/desire it. Sometimes, in an attempt to "do what one loves," the turn down or fail to see other opportunities that while less pleasing to the soul are just as profitable, and a good opportunity. Also, if you do what you love in your fist attempt, it can be so damaging that an individual will simply give up and relegate themselves to the slowlane feeling though if they can't make a success in something they love, they may not be able to make something at all. Still others build businesses doing what they love, but the rigors of commercializing one's passions can sometimes strip the joy from that which the business is built on.

Those are pretty much the reasons I have seen for people getting upset when they hear the "do what you love" rhetoric. A true fastlane mind tries to see all opportunities, regardless of their affections towards them. All of the members of this forum root for the success of the other members, and to see someone limiting their options because they "don't love to do it" is a bit of a shame (if not downright criminal from a fastlane perspective.)

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Here is a more specific article...

“Do What You Love And the Money Will Follow!” It’s BS! | theFastlaneToMillions.com

Personally, I feel if you love something enough, you can find a way to improve that industry, lifestyle, niche, culture, etc. to make it fastlane. Yes, a lot of people pursue what they love, but they simply find the easy roads and start the same "cookie cutter" businesses. Few people rarely find the motivation to genuinely improve their beloved industry, they just settle for a comfortable mediocrity.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't think Tony Hsieh is speaking with a fastlane message. I think he is speaking more with a message of "Do something you love, and you won't work a single day in your life."

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
That's not what he's saying, except maybe for one sentence. He is talking about how to build a world-class brand, which requires a world-class culture in the company.

Which to me makes perfect sense, I mean if you cannot create a great culture for your company, it probably will not become a great brand.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Here is a more specific article...

“Do What You Love And the Money Will Follow!” It’s BS!*|*theFastlaneToMillions.com

Personally, I feel if you love something enough, you can find a way to improve that industry, lifestyle, niche, culture, etc. to make it fastlane. Yes, a lot of people pursue what they love, but they simply find the easy roads and start the same "cookie cutter" businesses. Few people rarely find the motivation to genuinely improve their beloved industry, they just settle for a comfortable mediocrity.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't think Tony Hsieh is speaking with a fastlane message. I think he is speaking more with a message of "Do something you love, and you won't work a single day in your life."

I respect MJ, the guy is good businessman, but he is wrong in that article.

Quote:

You see, “doing what you love” for money often isn’t good enough because we aren’t good enough.

That's not an excuse not to do what you love, while yes you can't make money from everything you love doing but there is one hobby or anything that you know a lot about and could monetize it. If you don't THEN WORK YOUR a$$ OFF to get good at it and then find a way to make a business out of it. But most people are lazy enough to not do it... or simply don't get it.

Another quote:

People pay to have their needs and wants solved — they don’t pay to satisfy your need of “doing what you love”. People pay for solutions; not for your enjoyment.

If you are creative a bit you can find a way to make a solution for other people out of your passion. MJ mentions that he couldn't play basketball and make money out of it. Well, I agree, I'm in the same situation. BUT the thing is I COULD HAVE DONE IT and HE COULD HAVE DONE IT, had both of us pursued this career from early age and busted our asses. It's not like LeBron James started playing at 17 and had only God given talent. The same is with M.Jordan. They worked a lot and that's why they are able to make money of off doing what they love.
The saying "Do what you love and money will follow" is true. Just ask Bill Gates and Waren Buffet.. also R.Branson and Gary Vaynerchuk and tons of others. The only difference between them is they had the right attitude and worked their butt off to achieve their dreams. You can't monetize all of your passions but definitely can find a way to do it with at least one! ;)

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
There is a thread that was posted in this forum sometime ago about how it is all well and good if you can make money doing what you love, but the reality is that the market could give a damn about what YOU love. (Do you have a Successful Entreprenurial Premise?)

Opportunities are everywhere, doesn't mean you have to pursue all of them at once. They are like buses, there is always next one coming.

And again, while it's true that people buy solution, doesn't mean you can't make what you love into being a solution for them. It's like you are missing something here. You can't connect things together. It IS possible. Keep your mind open for that and you will find a way!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.