The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your news and information diet

adventureking

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 23, 2012
I'm wondering what people here read to keep up to date with the news. Lately i'm trying to set up Google Reader and i'm not particularly happy how so much crappy and irrelevant articles come from respectable sources. I want to keep abreast with important news without being bombarded with litter articles and poor filler journalism. I want to read news sources that intellectuals read. I was trying to find out daily habits and reading habits from the forbes billionaire list but so far no luck =(

My Google Reader sources are:

Tech:
Techmeme
techcrunch
arstechnica
lifehacker
slashdot
wired.com
readwrite
theverge

News:
Nytimes
the economist
abc news

Business:
gigaom
hbr.org
seth's blog
venture beat
fast company

I've been trying out different readers for android and pc and haven't quiet found a nice solution. I tried zite, pulse, feedly, flipboard, news360, google reader, google currents.
So far i'm sticking with feedly because it looks nicest on my s3 compared to google reader but sadly no effective way of filtering irrelevant/trivial content. I find even trying to digest the above list to be a burden and i really just want to read the BEST OF from each category. Something like digg but integrated in your google reader feed. I don't spend much time reading these feeds because there is so many articles spit out daily, it's unpractical to keep up. So i want to hear ideas how people balance productivity with their news/information diet. I usually just read in the toilet or waiting in queues.

So i'd like to hear:
1) Your news/information sources
2) How you digest this? Which apps?
3) When and where do you read?
4) How much time do you allocate for your daily/weekly information readings?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
-Wall Street Journal- paper/app
-Fox Business network- office TV/App
-CNBC- office tv when fbn has something stupid on
-Local 2 Houston-app
-Drudge report app

I actively read the WSJ about 30 mins a day. The rest of my news consumption is passive listening or app notifications.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
WSJ and Drudge daily, in addition to select industry related trade web sites, and a few sites for local news. WSJ is the only business publication that I read daily. The WSJ iPhone/iPad app is good, and once you have a subscription you can use all devices (Kindle, iPhone, iPad, computer).

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Techcruch
Bloomberg
Crains Chicago Business
HBR

The only site that I actually initiate contact with myself is HBR, everything else hits my Facebook newsfeed.

Also, without starting an argument I sincerely applaud anyone who can handle Fox Business & Drudge, even thinking that much about politics makes me want to take a nap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.