The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You only have so many sunsets left...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I told a mentor of mine that is cashed out and living oceanfront in Belize that I needed to build one more company before I could join him.

His response was interesting.

“Just wanted you to know I care. As to needing one more…not true. A change in your paradigm from, “How much is enough? to How little do I really need”? may have you here sooner than you now think possible.”

I am still enjoying the game, but he’s right. He’s there. He wakes up every morning to the sun rising over the waves, and goes to sleep every night after watching the sun set over the waves.

We all only have so many sunsets left.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I needed to build one more company before I could join him.

I am still enjoying the game
If you enjoy it, couldn’t you find a way to have both? Maybe not to the scale you have now, but something to build for the enjoyment of it while you’re chilling on the beach?

I like this kind of post though. The “why” we’re all doing this stuff doesn’t get asked enough.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you enjoy it, couldn’t you find a way to have both? Maybe not to the scale you have now, but something to build for the enjoyment of it while you’re chilling on the beach?

I like this kind of post though. The “why” we’re all doing this stuff doesn’t get asked enough.
I have a nice private vacation oasis I live at today, so content. Several years back I spent a couple months in Maui. There’s a difference between running a business on island time, and truly cashing out your chips and simplifying. Eventually I will drop off the grid and you all will never hear from me again, but for today I have one more to build.

IMG_2876.jpeg

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
1683983758656.gif

Makes me wonder why neither my dad or grandpa never did that. My dad is 69, and not stopping any time soon. My grandpa took a break for a while in his 60’s, but ultimately bought scrap until he died.

You’re a beast dude. Your posts always make me think for days after reading them.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
I told a mentor of mine that is cashed out and living oceanfront in Belize that I needed to build one more company before I could join him.
In your mentor's words, the "change in your paradigm" is what separates us, even those within this forum.

It's beautiful to know he fought his fight and can now be the warrior in the garden. At the same time, I can also admire your ambition to keep hunting. Both of you are worthy of admiration.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I find it hard to see that situation in Belize as the end goal. Regularly makes the cut as one of the most dangerous countries. Is this not escaping the golden handcuffs of corporate America only to end up in the golden handcuffs (white villa compounds) of central America? What would your freedom of movement be? Peace of mind?

The grass might be greener and there might be waves, but there's nice sun sets everywhere.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If we take this literally as in ocean front Belize is the final goal. I bet you could join him right now. What is the thought process about needing just another few million to do this?

If you didn’t have one more business left, would you move to your “Belize” right now?

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
IMO, very rarely is money an end in itself. Normally it is a means to an end. So knowing the end is important to know how much money you need.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I find it hard to see that situation in Belize as the end goal. Regularly makes the cut as one of the most dangerous countries. Is this not escaping the golden handcuffs of corporate America only to end up in the golden handcuffs (white villa compounds) of central America? What would your freedom of movement be? Peace of mind?

The grass might be greener and there might be waves, but there's nice sun sets everywhere.

It once was an end goal for me so I visited the country. The objective of my visit was exploratory for a potential part time residence during the year. Traveled to Ambergris Caye were a lot of expats lived. In the end, it was far too 3rd world for me, too dirty, and too much poverty surrounding the nice villas. Had a nice experience and people seemed friendly, but just didn't get the vibe I needed. So I crossed it off the list.

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread, but to realize that there are so many sunsets are left in our lives (I changed the thread title to reflect the content) -- so whatever brings you peace, joy, and happiness -- do it sooner than later.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
so whatever brings you peace, joy, and happiness -- do it sooner than later.
What's the line between this and the starving artist archetype?

I always found it difficult to find the sweet spot. Say someone wants to work for free on things he/she loves and do good to others. But that person needs to work a full-time job to pay the bills. Working on a business on the side or doing that thing that brings peace, joy, and happiness? The day only has so many hours.

A more concrete example: say I want to get rich so I can work full-time for free on open source projects that I find helpful and know that make a difference for other people who can't afford paid software. That's a cool thing and brings me joy and happiness. But if I do this in my spare time on top of my day job (which I need to pay the bills), then I don't have time for my business which is what will eventually give me the time freedom. It's like the chicken and the egg.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What's the line between this and the starving artist archetype?

I always found it difficult to find the sweet spot. Say someone wants to work for free on things he/she loves and do good to others. But that person needs to work a full-time job to pay the bills. Working on a business on the side or doing that thing that brings peace, joy, and happiness? The day only has so many hours.

A more concrete example: say I want to get rich so I can work full-time for free on open source projects that I find helpful and know that make a difference for other people who can't afford paid software. That's a cool thing and brings me joy and happiness. But if I do this in my spare time on top of my day job (which I need to pay the bills), then I don't have time for my business which is what will eventually give me the time freedom. It's like the chicken and the egg.
I think you are misinterpreting when MJ is talking about here. He is talking about when you have made enough money and you are continuing to make more money vs doing some thing else that you want to do.

The time he is talking about in your case is, after you’re rich, how do you know you when it’s time for you to switch to working on your free open source project.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

Everybody should remember this number.

If you live to 85 years, you will have 31,025 days of life - that is if you make it to 85 to begin with or if you stay healthy enough to enjoy life.

If you are 35 years and plus, you have less than 18,250 days left to get there.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

His response was interesting.

“Just wanted you to know I care. As to needing one more…not true. A change in your paradigm from, “How much is enough? to How little do I really need”? may have you here sooner than you now think possible.”

I am still enjoying the game, but he’s right. He’s there. He wakes up every morning to the sun rising over the waves, and goes to sleep every night after watching the sun set over the waves.

We all only have so many sunsets left.
I tried retiring 20 years ago. I am not good at it. A few days into it, I was totally bored. So, I'm still working – I’ve worked just about every day since I was 11 years old. (Yes, I now want to slow down now and I'm unwinding a bunch of my side gigs). I have had a hell of a ride during those years and the ones that came before. I have helped a lot of people. Yes, I could go sit on a beach and watch the sunsets. I can also walk outside, or drive one mile to our beach, and enjoy the sunsets right where I am. I could die tonight, but I think I have about 20 years left in my life. So, I'm thinking a lot about how I want to spend that time I've worked very hard over my lifetime to have that choice. And that's the most important point -- financial independence gives you the right and resources to make life alternating choices.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
I think you are misinterpreting when MJ is talking about here. He is talking about when you have made enough money and you are continuing to make more money vs doing some thing else that you want to do.

The time he is talking about in your case is, after you’re rich, how do you know you when it’s time for you to switch to working on your free open source project.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.