The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You can pay for it, but can you afford it?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Nice read, so true!

No more parking for you ;)

BTW Can you afford your vacation? Just a though, because I can't afford mine...

RaisingWealth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 12, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I can afford it. I've got a pretty substantial savings because I put half the money I earn away into savings (always have). The real problem now is how to repay my savings having paid for the ticket.

The goal is to earn ~3k and put that all into savings to pay for the ticket and the extra half I need to earn to spend money, and to do that before I leave for vacation.

PS: Thanks for the rep speed :D!

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Nice article, but here's my take:

You can only afford it after you have purchased or created an asset which produces the passive income to cover the payments for it.

Eg: I want a new car. If it's $500 a month, which asset can I buy or create and at what rate of return, in order to produce $500 a month?

Then, the car is free*. Everybody can afford free :)

Rep+ for the article, thanks.

Daniel

* Free because the asset pays for it, and the opportunity cost of the capital/time invested is offset by the value produced by the asset after the car payments stop.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
:iagree: Put your money into assets that will pay for your toys. My renters are paying for my trip to Phoenix to meet all of you guys.:cheers:

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
Honestly, I skimmed through the article. I think most people here are financially smart enough to know if they can afford something or not. Seems like Suze Orman type thinking...save your money, put it in mutual funds and enjoy yourself when you're 65. Yeah no thanks..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.