The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you pay $33 for 1000 premium 4/4 16pt business cards shipped to you?

bronz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Feb 9, 2012
as fellow business owners, would you pay this much for TOP NOTCH business cards shipped to your door?

$33 will get you:

Qty: 1000
14 or 16pt stock
Full UV or Matte
Single or Double Sided
Free shipping via UPS

Im about to launch an ecommerce website that will simply focus on just that. Selling 1000 TOP NOTCH business cards for $33 shipped.

im still trying to choose a domain name. Ideas?

Thanks
Vito

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Why are you selling business cards? I can get business cards anywhere, and I can decide how I want them to look.

Is there a reason for it? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just wondering why...

bronz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Feb 9, 2012
Im involved in printing business and I found a niche to produce very high quality business cards for a low cost. After doing my math, im still left with healthy margin.

Im not sure what are the prices in other parts of the country for BCs this quality, but here in Chicago they go for 50+ without shipping or delivery.

There will be templates for designing your own, uploading your design or requesting design service for additional price.

The process is automated (except for those that order design service) so all I have to do is watch money go into the bank account.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Disclaimer: I am not in the position where I would buy business cards at the moment.

However - when I think business cards, I think Vistaprint (they have done very well getting themselves known). They sell 250 'premium' cards for $10, so that is $40 for a thousand, including shipping (not taking sale prices into account). So, at first glance, this looks like you have an opportunity, especially if they are comparable in quality and you still make a good margin at this price - it seems like a win for the consumer. I'd definitely make options open for less that 1000 cards though, I don't know of many people that would buy 1000 at once. Just my thoughts on the matter.

bronz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Feb 9, 2012
The thing about vistaprint is you get only one sided cards that are made with thinner lower quality paper. 250 double sided cards from vista are 16.95.

Appreciate the comments!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
I think the better market would be offering business cards that are special in material etc. Every business owner can get cheap business cards, but what about one made out of wood, or even meat?

MeatCards: Print Your Business Cards On Beef Jerky With A Frickin' Laser Beam | TechCrunch

Also you could charge a premium price for ideas like that instead of competing with the huge market for over a few dollars - wheres the REAL unique selling proportion for your offer? I don't really see one, to be honest....

Just trying to help, good luck :)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I pay $5-$10 bucks for $1000 high quality business cards, there is no need here, and you can't compete with the big guys. Don't!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is a business card?

Thought the same thing... some of us don't have em, and don't use em ...

As for the question, NO I wouldn't pay $33 for business cards as I find them as a marketing tool, worthless.

Wantrepreneurs love them because they can say immediately catapult themselves to a CEO status-- doing absolutely nothing.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Thought the same thing... some of us don't have em, and don't use em ...

As for the question, NO I wouldn't pay $33 for business cards as I find them as a marketing tool, worthless.

Wantrepreneurs love them because they can say immediately catapult themselves to a CEO status-- doing absolutely nothing.

I never thought to get business cards but with the QR code, I think it might be nice so people can quick download my app. If 1000 cards costs $33, that means I'd only need roughly 48 of the 1000 to download it to break even. It would be easy to leave cards for people and they scan the code to check it out. To me, I'd try that for $33 but not for the sake of having a business card with fancy titles.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but with the QR code

Are people using QR codes? I see them everywhere but I believe there is a serious adaption issue with them with consumers.

I find them as a marketing tool, worthless.

I should correct myself here: This statement sounds like an absolute ... the worth of business cards really depends on the type of business you have.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
as fellow business owners, would you pay this much for TOP NOTCH business cards shipped to your door?

$33 will get you:

Qty: 1000
14 or 16pt stock
Full UV or Matte
Single or Double Sided
Free shipping via UPS

Im about to launch an ecommerce website that will simply focus on just that. Selling 1000 TOP NOTCH business cards for $33 shipped.

im still trying to choose a domain name. Ideas?

Thanks
Vito

Vistaprint

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Tough to walk into a fortune 500 company business meeting with no business card. However, I have been using Vistaprint for years and would never see a reason not to.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Are people using QR codes? I see them everywhere but I believe there is a serious adaption issue with them with consumers.

I should correct myself here: This statement sounds like an absolute ... the worth of business cards really depends on the type of business you have.

Honestly, I have no clue. I need to do research on it. It was just brought up to me yesterday so I haven't really taken a look though. To me though, to have a business card to hand them just to say this is who I am and what I do, not worth it for me. But, if I can say, "Hey, you can download my app with this barcode in a couple seconds" I think it might be worthwhile. $33 could create $1000 plus if they share it with people, more.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you had cool designs on your site and agreed to design about 5 prototypes for me and let me pick one I might be interested in something like that.

You also need to offer more than just the cardstock ones. I like silk business cards A LOT. I also like linen and raised ink. Do you do dot uv?

I spend $100 per 1000 on my cards, they are a faux silk business card and feel really nice and thick. I have gotten business cards from VP and ONP and did not like the quality or the wait (they cost double to expedite). I HATE GLOSSY, everyone (including me back a few 1000 cards ago) who wants their cards to look "cool" gets is. It looks like shitty kodak photo paper and it is not even unique.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I had a smartphone for a while and never once scanned a QR code. It's more trouble than it's worth for me. I may be alone in this, however.

Do people really judge you by your business card? I mean, I always figured that if you go into a meeting and you have a card that says who you are, what your business is and what you do for that business, plus some contact info, then it's good enough.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't really want my business card to be memorable. I want my business to be memorable.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I had a smartphone for a while and never once scanned a QR code. It's more trouble than it's worth for me. I may be alone in this, however.

I like v-card ones on business cards as it puts the info right in your phone. However, QR codes on TV and billboards are the stupidest use I have ever seen.

I am going to get QR on my next cards.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX

Do people really judge you by your business card? I mean, I always figured that if you go into a meeting and you have a card that says who you are, what your business is and what you do for that business, plus some contact info, then it's good enough.

I feel the same way. I've scanned them a few times if it was car related to see what it was but not too often. Like I said, $33 is a small investment so I have to look into it a little more.

bronz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Feb 9, 2012
thanks for all the comments! i am already getting new ideas from this discussion.

However i was still unable to find equal quality cards anywhere else cheaper.

I agree that not everybody uses business cards nowadays. There is still plenty of fields that do though. Photographers, doctors, mechanics, contractors etc all use them.

Maybe i should market them not just as business cards, but also as appointment cards, QR cards, "mini" flyers just to name a few. This way it may attract different audiences as some of them may not think that this is possible with so called business card.

I wish QR codes would be able to capture phone numbers, but unfortunately they dont.

I was at Audi dealership the other day and you have to scan the QR code on the window to get the price for the car.

I can make any kind of business cards, but the cost is much higher for linen or spot UV etc...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can make any kind of business cards, but the cost is much higher for linen or spot UV etc...

How much more expensive?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio