scottaj74
New Contributor
- Joined
- May 11, 2012
- Messages
- 74
Rep Bank
$245
$245
User Power: 30%
Hi,
I thought I'd ask the many years of collective wisdom and expertise that on this site for your thoughts and/or advice.
I'm in the process of checking out the feasibility of putting together a local travel app for the town I live in. It's a small resort community in British Columbia, Canada and it is on our busiest highway in the country between two large cities. Every time I drive the road in and out of town, I'm blow away at the number of cars, trucks and RV's on it; that and it's a very popular winter destination for the European ski/snowboard crowd = massive traffic.
To give you a bit of background. The town boasts the longest vertical ski lift in North America, has numerous opportunities for heliskiing, snowcat skiing, snowmobiling, and other winter backcountry adventures. In summer, it's busy with hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers and mountaineers. It's also popular with fisherman, motorbikes and has several family attractions nearby.
I've seen this done for other towns in BC and it worked well for them, so I thought why not create a travel/city app that is specific to this town. It would offer listings for accommodation, restaurants, local services, attractions, activities, recreation, maps, etc... A simple app that could be downloaded onto a smartphone and would provide you with an online local guide at your fingertips.
I then started to get some background info to see if this was a legit idea or not. What I found is that the local Chamber of Commerce has a mobile site that offers most of the information that I was thinking of building into the app. What they don't have though, is an app for their mobile site. I contacted them to see if we could work together on such a project and they get back to me saying that they didn't really see a point in putting an app together.
A couple of things struck me here. First, the Chamber's site doesn't come right away when searching for this town on Google - I didn't know they had a mobile site until I spoke with them. Second, I was surprised that they weren't interested in a mobile app, as I seen it before for other towns and it's working so well for them.
My initial plan is to build a squeeze/landing page (already done) that basically says "This Town App - Coming Soon" with a box allowing interested people to enter their email contacts. I've also hooked up analytics to to the page. The other part of the plan is to construct road signs coming into town that says "The XXX Town App - The super duper smartphone travel guide app" or something similar, but way better. You get the drift. The sign would have a url and qr code that would hopefully lead folks to the squeeze/landing page for the app. Having analytics attached to it, it would then allow to collect information about people coming to the page and allow me to check out the feasibility of the project.
I'm pretty keen to take action on this and see where it might lead me. My big dilemma right now is regarding the Chamber of Commerce. The already have what I would like to build, but I think it could be done better to help the local businesses and services. The town is pretty small and I feel like I might to stepping on some feet of folks in the community if I start to proceed with my plans (those employed with the Chamber). I think a smartphone app and roadside marketing could really boost the traffic coming to site and in turn, boost traffic to local businesses.
My question is: Should I continue to proceed, how can I do it in such a way that I wouldn't piss off the Chamber and we can all benefit? Maybe the reality is that some folks are going to get pissed at me - I'm not good at conflict resolution and usually avoid it.
My initial thoughts, provided that the app was worth pursuing, was to upload info local businesses/services free of charge for X amount of time. Once the trial time expired (6 months or so), I could then offer them listings along with the analytics behind how people were finding them on the app.
Going even bigger, the long term idea would be to expand the app into other local towns nearby.
A bit of rambling here, but I think I got my idea across.
And for those wondering, Foursquare doesn't offer much insight or recommendations for where I live.
I thought I'd ask the many years of collective wisdom and expertise that on this site for your thoughts and/or advice.
I'm in the process of checking out the feasibility of putting together a local travel app for the town I live in. It's a small resort community in British Columbia, Canada and it is on our busiest highway in the country between two large cities. Every time I drive the road in and out of town, I'm blow away at the number of cars, trucks and RV's on it; that and it's a very popular winter destination for the European ski/snowboard crowd = massive traffic.
To give you a bit of background. The town boasts the longest vertical ski lift in North America, has numerous opportunities for heliskiing, snowcat skiing, snowmobiling, and other winter backcountry adventures. In summer, it's busy with hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers and mountaineers. It's also popular with fisherman, motorbikes and has several family attractions nearby.
I've seen this done for other towns in BC and it worked well for them, so I thought why not create a travel/city app that is specific to this town. It would offer listings for accommodation, restaurants, local services, attractions, activities, recreation, maps, etc... A simple app that could be downloaded onto a smartphone and would provide you with an online local guide at your fingertips.
I then started to get some background info to see if this was a legit idea or not. What I found is that the local Chamber of Commerce has a mobile site that offers most of the information that I was thinking of building into the app. What they don't have though, is an app for their mobile site. I contacted them to see if we could work together on such a project and they get back to me saying that they didn't really see a point in putting an app together.
A couple of things struck me here. First, the Chamber's site doesn't come right away when searching for this town on Google - I didn't know they had a mobile site until I spoke with them. Second, I was surprised that they weren't interested in a mobile app, as I seen it before for other towns and it's working so well for them.
My initial plan is to build a squeeze/landing page (already done) that basically says "This Town App - Coming Soon" with a box allowing interested people to enter their email contacts. I've also hooked up analytics to to the page. The other part of the plan is to construct road signs coming into town that says "The XXX Town App - The super duper smartphone travel guide app" or something similar, but way better. You get the drift. The sign would have a url and qr code that would hopefully lead folks to the squeeze/landing page for the app. Having analytics attached to it, it would then allow to collect information about people coming to the page and allow me to check out the feasibility of the project.
I'm pretty keen to take action on this and see where it might lead me. My big dilemma right now is regarding the Chamber of Commerce. The already have what I would like to build, but I think it could be done better to help the local businesses and services. The town is pretty small and I feel like I might to stepping on some feet of folks in the community if I start to proceed with my plans (those employed with the Chamber). I think a smartphone app and roadside marketing could really boost the traffic coming to site and in turn, boost traffic to local businesses.
My question is: Should I continue to proceed, how can I do it in such a way that I wouldn't piss off the Chamber and we can all benefit? Maybe the reality is that some folks are going to get pissed at me - I'm not good at conflict resolution and usually avoid it.
My initial thoughts, provided that the app was worth pursuing, was to upload info local businesses/services free of charge for X amount of time. Once the trial time expired (6 months or so), I could then offer them listings along with the analytics behind how people were finding them on the app.
Going even bigger, the long term idea would be to expand the app into other local towns nearby.
A bit of rambling here, but I think I got my idea across.
And for those wondering, Foursquare doesn't offer much insight or recommendations for where I live.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
