The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you consider this MLM? I know, it's like cursing around here, lol

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I was thinking of starting a home party business selling toys and therapy items for special needs kids. Since I have a special needs child and know about all the stuff on the market I thought it would be a good way to make some extra money. Problem is...... I really don't know how to go about it. I found a company that is interested in working with me. They need to figure out how we can all profit from it. So I was thinking instead of doing the parties myself I could maybe sell territories to other people, sort of franchise this. I am looking for input on how to make this fastlane. I don't yet know how things will work with me and the supplier yet, she needs to think about it and we are going to speak again next week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Lot of potential here.

How do you go about marketing to people with Special Needs Kids?

I would not do it as an mlm structure, but as a area licensee structure.

Lot's of ideas on this, and how to turn it into fast lane, as long as there is a simple way to find the people who would buy it.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I still have to think about marketing. Like I said I have a special needs child so naturally I know lots of parents. I am also on some forums and I was thinking maybe a flyer at some of the local schools.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Look for a company that was on shark tank that rents toys on a subscription basis. Might help you with a workable business model.

MLM really doesn't apply unless you are making most revenue getting people to recruit others to recruit others etc....

That is different from direct marketing.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
If you are looking for an MLM model, look at how Pampered Chef does it.

Personally, I think you just need to start out buying some of these products wholesale & trying to sell them. As you go, you'll figure out what customers really want & what the best way to scale it is. There are lots of support groups for parents of special needs children. If you could get a professional relationship with them, it would be the easiest way to reach a lot of people.

Amina1389

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Aug 5, 2012
NY/NJ
Direct Sales & Special Needs

I was thinking of starting a home party business selling toys and therapy items for special needs kids. Since I have a special needs child and know about all the stuff on the market I thought it would be a good way to make some extra money. Problem is...... I really don't know how to go about it. I found a company that is interested in working with me. They need to figure out how we can all profit from it. So I was thinking instead of doing the parties myself I could maybe sell territories to other people, sort of franchise this. I am looking for input on how to make this fastlane. I don't yet know how things will work with me and the supplier yet, she needs to think about it and we are going to speak again next week.

Hello. I was inspired to join this website after reading your post. I'm the mother of 2 sons with special needs and I can appreciate your desire to want to "work from home" and build a business of your own; as well as support parents like us.

I came across this website that I think you may find to be interesting and a great source of information. I hope this helps.
Case Study: Targeting the Right Market | Inc.com

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I like the area licensee/franchisee structure idea, personally.

MLM can be a really great way to bring your products to market, for sure. The ONLY way that anyone should ever be involved in MLM should be as owner of a MLM company. I considered using this business model for my cosmetics business, and just for your consideration, I will tell you the reasons that I decided against it:

1. I was concerned about negative stigma associated with my product. If I started MLM style and then changed my mind at a later date, there would still be people who knew of the product as network marketing.

2. I did a lot of research about regulations for networking marketing companies and I didn't want to dedicate the financial resources to make sure that my business was in compliance.

In the name of full disclosure, I did do home parties with my products to see how I felt about it and to see how they would do in that situation.

This is only my experience, and others may have a very different perspective and different personal experiences to relate.

What are some of the other ways that you've considering marketing the products?

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I am still waiting to hear back from the company that is interested in working with me and I even have a 2nd company interested. When I get more details from them I will lay it out here. Thanks for the responses everybody.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
So the company got back to me and they would like me to do outside sales for them ( i know not fastlane) They are offering 20% commission on what ever I sell. I have a strong territory in NY and they want me to sell to anybody like schools, therapy offices anybody I want. The thought has crossed my mind to hire 3 go getters and offer them 10 % commission on what ever they sell, there by keeping 10% for doing nothing but managing them and making sure things go smooth. Any other thoughts on how to turn this fastlane or at the very least make it very profitable?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
So you called them and they said sure, go out and sell, and anything you sell we will pay you 20%?

That's it?

You got to sell $25,000 bucks worth of stuff to make 5k a month, I dont know your industry, but is it easy to sell 25k worth of stuff a month?

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I don't think selling 25K a month consistently is possible. I never really planned on this being a big money maker. The first thought was to build a group of individuals in my area and set them up with a territory and let them sell and do parties. They in turn would give me a % of what they made, sort of like a franchise. I was looking to make a little extra money on the side while I work my full time job and work my other products and ideas.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I agree, that's what I am trying to do. I was thinking of making it a 2 tier commission and try to squeeze a bit more out of them. Always good advice on this board Jack!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.