The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work Capacity?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bernardo De Mach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
May 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Sorry if a topic like this was brought up before.

Basically, should one dive deep into working ridiculous hours straight away or slowly adjust? My previous business I crashed and BURNED! was working 2 jobs and running a personal training business and burnt myself to having random seizures. I had to drop everything and recover for 6months. I thought at age 23 I should be able to handle 70-80hours work week, maybe it was too much of a physically demanding task?

I want to jump into dropshipping through ClickFunnels but I wonder should I pace myself with the work hours? Do you gradually build a work tolerance or do you just dive in deep and adapt?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JustmeSD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 30, 2020
Respond to the following:

Name below 15 things you've learned from your current crash.

Also:

Why did your business fail? Why do you have to work 70-80 hours? If you currently have that much determination, to work 80h, use 20h of them to learn something new, and the rest to make an income.
You could learn to work smarter, in time reducing your working time and gaining free time to do other things. And why do you wish to open a restaurant in a city crowded with restaurants? Is yours better than the others?
Don't rush to reply. Be as honest as you can ;)

Bernardo De Mach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
May 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Respond to the following:

Name below 15 things you've learned from your current crash.

Also:

Why did your business fail? Why do you have to work 70-80 hours? If you currently have that much determination, to work 80h, use 20h of them to learn something new, and the rest to make an income.
You could learn to work smarter, in time reducing your working time and gaining free time to do other things. And why do you wish to open a restaurant in a city crowded with restaurants? Is yours better than the others?
Don't rush to reply. Be as honest as you can ;)
Comments like this is why I F*ckin love this Forum!

Why did your business fail? I didn't it was picking up, I crashed because of the seizures and burnout there was no way I could carry on.

Why do you have to work 70-80 hours? If you currently have that much determination, to work 80h, use 20h of them to learn something new, and the rest to make an income. --- Well, I'm stupid and impressionable, just really desperate to make it out the hood. Listened to Dan Pena and went full force on the gas pedal. During commute from work and between my clients, I would listen to audiobook. I've seen personal trainers earn 100k a month so I thought that would be a good starting point.

You could learn to work smarter, in time reducing your working time and gaining free time to do other things. And why do you wish to open a restaurant in a city crowded with restaurants? Is yours better than the others?- Lol where I am from you just see credit card scams and drug dealing as the only way to make more than minimum wage, I dived online and personal training seemed good because I was a gym rat and I made gains pretty good. A lot of the info online seem very scammy and course selling, so I don't trust what they are saying. That said I haven't seen anyone successful either. Why open a restaurant in a crowded city with restaurants?? hmm because I was stupid enough to think it was a good idea loool All of this was before I read millionaire fast lane. Dan Pena said stop worrying about the business plan and TAKE MASSIVE ACTION!!

I haven't given my crash too much thought except I was close to death and need to respect my body's need to rejuvinate. Working 6-7 days in a row is not impressing anyone but I've been told 100 hours a week is needed in the first 2 years of business. Anyway, whats your thoughts on work capacity?

p.s. going to sleep over 15 things I learnt and hopefully get valuable lessons.

JustmeSD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 30, 2020
See...too many "stupid" here. Stop using that. Your words turn to beliefs, then actions, then habits...
Not saying here dropshipping is not a business, but you're 23, so there are lots of options there. Maybe it will work, just trying here to help you consider your options.
You got determination, energy, you got potential...and desire to overcome your current status. That's what I see so far in you.
I cannot tell you what to do, but simply reaching out here is an action by itself.
Does working double brings you double income, than the regular 8hrs/day? Can you save something, to build a budget, and meanwhile you'll also study your options?

Eridius

Mediocrity Getaway
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 22, 2020
I don't think that working 70-80 hours is a great idea unless it is something you are truly passionate about so that you can get into Flow. And yes that is too demanding.

I'd rather has a high quality 20-40 hours of high quality work week then spend the rest of the time on something worth invested.

Work capacity in each of us is limited. Our willpower, energy, focus span and discipline are limited (hence, can always be trained and developed more).

I'll be likely to get demotivated and crash if I eat a huge carb meal, or after a heavy training session.

"Working 6-7 days in a row is not impressing anyone but I've been told 100 hours a week is needed in the first 2 years of business.", was this from Dan Pena? Like I said, depends. Not everyone can do that; doesn't mean you can if you are obsessed with the venture you are on. I sometimes catch myself working on a thing with obsessed and time-bending focus for nearly 17 hours then get lots of shit done (Flow state baby!); then after that on the next feel days I don't feel like wanna work, so bleh.

It is best to build work capacity and willpower, focus consistently then starting up at extreme measures then crashing down hard later.

Setting up 3-5 most important tasks of a day is a great way; do the hardest task first in a day; set up a productivity calendar, have Sunday for rest. Go for 5-6 weeks of intense work then take a 1-2 weeks rest and chill out.

Sleep well and enough. Resting is an essential component for efficiency and rejuvenating your work ethics as well as the body, mind.

Last edited:

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
Depends on what you frame as "work."

For example, I could probably do Uber Eats 12 or even 16 hours in a row without taking a break at all because driving around is "fun" for me anyways.

Even stuff like writing, if I'm not distracted, I could do for like 12 or so hours a day without a break. It's how I've written 7 different books that I intend to start selling.

Don't think age has much to do with it either: I'm pushing 40 and have similar energy levels that I did 15 years ago. Only thing is that different stuff hurts now lol.

But have me do my previous jobs or anything I don't enjoy doing and there's no way I could even put an 8 hour day in without being really stressed out and fatigued.

It's why I was so meh at school. I didn't like studying and doing research for others, I liked studying and doing research for myself. And when it came to stuff I really didn't like such as math or science I would need to work extra hard just to get 70s lol.

If you label something as "enjoyable" you can probably do it all day and not even notice that you did it all day. That's how I am with Uber Eats. I have to discipline myself to stop driving so I can get freelance writing assignments done.

Bernardo De Mach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
May 31, 2020
United Kingdom
See...too many "stupid" here. Stop using that. Your words turn to beliefs, then actions, then habits...
Not saying here dropshipping is not a business, but you're 23, so there are lots of options there. Maybe it will work, just trying here to help you consider your options.
You got determination, energy, you got potential...and desire to overcome your current status. That's what I see so far in you.
I cannot tell you what to do, but simply reaching out here is an action by itself.
Does working double brings you double income, than the regular 8hrs/day? Can you save something, to build a budget, and meanwhile you'll also study your options?
All you people! Thank you for your input, I'm truly blessed to have access to this forum.

@JustmeSD How do I study my options? Super open to suggestions

@Eridius lol sounds like comment sense but soo hard to apply. Your experience of going 17 hours in and then crashing the next day sounds like what happens to me. Except I expect myself to not get tired and drag myself to do the same thing for the next 4 days ffs! 5-6 week intense work followed by 1-2 week slowed sounds amazing! What would you count as intense?

@j0elsuf I've heard "love what you do" and I've tried but it each time it feels like I'm lying to myself. If i was honest I just love banging girls, eating junk food and partying loool so I have to use brute force atm

Eridius

Mediocrity Getaway
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 22, 2020
All you people! Thank you for your input, I'm truly blessed to have access to this forum.

@JustmeSD How do I study my options? Super open to suggestions

@Eridius lol sounds like comment sense but soo hard to apply. Your experience of going 17 hours in and then crashing the next day sounds like what happens to me. Except I expect myself to not get tired and drag myself to do the same thing for the next 4 days ffs! 5-6 week intense work followed by 1-2 week slowed sounds amazing! What would you count as intense?

@j0elsuf I've heard "love what you do" and I've tried but it each time it feels like I'm lying to myself. If i was honest I just love banging girls, eating junk food and partying loool so I have to use brute force atm
Based on your profile pic, I am definitely sure that you do lifting hard. So go deep on 5-6 weeks of intense work and rest for 1-2 weeks is like a deload phase.

That 5-6 week you set on goals, organize your day and go crazy on your entrepreneurial venture like hell and then wind down after few weeks when you notice you couldn't make any more conceivable progress or feel like shit. Entrepreneurship can be burned out easily, having fun in between definitely recover your energy and therefore allows you to engage on the work more.

Immersion vs maintenance concept is an another good productivity concept I also use, if you handle multiple things in business, you don't go do lots of shit at once, please don't. Instead immerse on one core key thing in that business for a period of time until you make some great results and develop some skills with it. Then move on to the next aspect and immerse crazily, while maintaining the minimal tempo with the former to keep making progress.

Right now I am spending 5 weeks of focusing on building my website and make some income with it, until I feel like I have some good revenues & capital. I move on to build the app that related to the website.

That's way you can develop lots of work capacity as well as making progress very well.

But make sure to not go too hard on yourself, maintain a consistent pace while avoid letting yourself burning out.

Bernardo De Mach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
May 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Based on your profile pic, I am definitely sure that you do lifting hard. So go deep on 5-6 weeks of intense work and rest for 1-2 weeks is like a deload phase.

That 5-6 week you set on goals, organize your day and go crazy on your entrepreneurial venture like hell and then wind down after few weeks when you notice you couldn't make any more conceivable progress or feel like shit. Entrepreneurship can be burned out easily, having fun in between definitely recover your energy and therefore allows you to engage on the work more.

Immersion vs maintenance concept is an another good productivity concept I also use, if you handle multiple things in business, you don't go do lots of shit at once, please don't. Instead immerse on one core key thing in that business for a period of time until you make some great results and develop some skills with it. Then move on to the next aspect and immerse crazily, while maintaining the minimal tempo with the former to keep making progress.

Right now I am spending 5 weeks of focusing on building my website and make some income with it, until I feel like I have some good revenues & capital. I move on to build the app that related to the website.

That's way you can develop lots of work capacity as well as making progress very well.

But make sure to not go too hard on yourself, maintain a consistent pace while avoid letting yourself burning out.
Nice, you got that level of control! Solid advice, I think I f*cked up before by digging myself into a hole that I couldn't come out of from. Nice, ima go balls to the walls but learn to cool down.

JustmeSD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 30, 2020
Bernardo, I don't know your environment. But as MJ says, search for problems. In your day-to-day activities, or friend's activities...Try to come up with something valuable. To solve a problem. Even if you go for dropshipping, go for something that does this...it solves someone's pain, desire, need of pleasure.

Tom J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 7, 2020
South Island of New Zealand
Don't overwork yourself - because it will impact your work and everything you do if you are not at your best state possible. Design an organised daily plan and decide how much time you will allocate each day for a certain task. I hate this trend of 'overworking' - seriously, it's not good for you.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Less is more my friend.

If you work yourself to the point of seizures and made anything less than millions then you were grossly ineffective and spent your time being busy when a few simple good decisions would've increased your results and lowered your workload.

Hard work is necessary. But the harder you work you do not necessarily become more effective.

My work week ranges from a few hours a week to up to 45-50 hours a week max (rarely). The last few months have been about 40-50 hours altogether. My company is still growing and doing just fine.

You most likely just need to make better decisions.

You want to get into dropshipping with clickfunnels. Great idea...in 2015.

This isn't a job. You don't just cash in your hours for dollars. You cash in RESULTS for dollars. You make good decisions, produce results, and cash in. Hours are irrelevant. Customers don't care if you hand coded a website or used a good looking theme. Customers don't care if you swam across the ocean to China to find a supplier or if you found one in 4 minutes on Alibaba.

You should set goals that are one step after another, and aren't tied to your hours, and then each day, give a solid effort towards achieving those simple goals. When you want to stop, stop. Do it tomorrow.

You need to work hard and smart. If you just work hard, you'll keep getting seizures. If you work smart, you'll get your results from only 10 hours a week or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's about the steps that you need to take, not the hours you work. Asking how many hours you should work is the wrong question. Asking what next steps you should take is the right question. And the answer to that question is most likely "not doing droppshipping with clickfunnels".

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
I just love banging girls, eating junk food and partying loool so I have to use brute force atm
Do you really tho? Is that what you like to do or is it what others have told you that it is what you SHOULD like to do?

Look in the mirror and answer that question.

Bernardo De Mach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
May 31, 2020
United Kingdom
@Johnny boy okay so 2021 dropshipping is bunk, given you exp whats the alternatives?

@j0elsuf I know where you are getting at, believe me I looked at this question deeply. I went into modern existentialism, epicureanism, stoicism and even Maslows Hierarchy of needs. I understand with the concept of memetics a set part of us is a collection of ideas and values which we absorb from our surroundings like osmosis. With that said, the conclusions I came with is through trial and error my friend

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Where do you want to be in 10 years from now? can you answer?
20 yrs?
40 yrs?

Sit down and think - what do you want to see at the end of your life? do you want a successful business that you need to work at 60 hrs/week?
do you want to be retired?
Do you want to be driving around the country giving private tours of the US to people from around the world with your own private jet?

what is your vision? work towards it...

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy okay so 2021 dropshipping is bunk, given you exp whats the alternatives?

@j0elsuf I know where you are getting at, believe me I looked at this question deeply. I went into modern existentialism, epicureanism, stoicism and even Maslows Hierarchy of needs. I understand with the concept of memetics a set part of us is a collection of ideas and values which we absorb from our surroundings like osmosis. With that said, the conclusions I came with is through trial and error my friend
The answer to that question is by answering a bunch of other questions.

1. What competetive advantage(s) do you have? I would consider dropshipping myself, ONLY if I had a close friend who knew everything about it who could hook me up and was making 20k a month from it.

But unless that's the case, what else would give you a competitive advantage in some other industry or niche?
Does your family have a business that you could step into and help grow? Any friends or associates doing something that already has momentum?

Do you have any talents or skills or a connection in an industry not many people know about? My best friend works in the government contracting industry and that puts him at a HUGE advantage for when he wants to open his own company in that space in a few years. He'll have the capital, connections and experience to succeed and I'll bet that he's going to have millions in his late 20's.

Do you have access that would give you a leg-up on other people? If you had 0 skills whatsoever and no capital but you had some random piece of equipment (or access to it) that was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, you could provide an expensive service and make tons of money in your first year with no special skills.

It's all about doing something the market will love to pay you for, and it's much much easier if you have something unique about your situation or set of skills that you only have to slightly refine. For example: being able to throw a baseball 98mph would be a great competitive advantage. Go be a baseball pitcher and make 8 mil a year and have an awesome lifestyle.

2. Where do you want to end up? Do you want to build an enterprise business or a lifestyle business. You could throw some craigslist ads up online, build some websites and make 5 grand a month chilling on a beach in Thailand. I know because I did it December 2019. No boss, no debt... Just the beach, a light workload, mojitos and riding around on a scooter with no shirt, no shoes and no problems.

If you want to be worth 50 million someday and build a life that will change more than just yourself, you should build an empire. You don't do that being a digital nomad. You plant some roots and spend a whole lotta time on your business.

You could do one for a while and then do another. It's up to you but first you have to ask yourself where you want to end up and that'll help you pick a more specific path.

3. What's your current situation? Do you have kids to take care of? Do you live in Uruguay and there's less opportunity? Do you live at home or do you live in a 3k/mo appt and a car loan? Do you have 20k to start something or do you have $4?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Sorry if a topic like this was brought up before.

Basically, should one dive deep into working ridiculous hours straight away or slowly adjust? My previous business I crashed and BURNED! was working 2 jobs and running a personal training business and burnt myself to having random seizures. I had to drop everything and recover for 6months. I thought at age 23 I should be able to handle 70-80hours work week, maybe it was too much of a physically demanding task?

I want to jump into dropshipping through ClickFunnels but I wonder should I pace myself with the work hours? Do you gradually build a work tolerance or do you just dive in deep and adapt?
I've always worked long hours and most days of the week since I was a little kid. You're not alone.

My normal working pattern before I retired was to work every day for 2 or 3 weeks. d Then I'd take a long weekend or a "mini-vacation" to rest. I LOVED my career -- I was on the road all the time. Yes, I paced myself during my normal workdays so I could work day after day and put in the long hours. I also took a lot of classes and earned some college degrees along the way.

My secret to keeping up the pace was to put a lot of variety into my days. I had lots of control since I have been self-employed for the last 45 years. If I accepted a job or an assignment, I put it onto my schedule. Then, I just went out did whatever it took, and put in the time, to complete that work. Even though I was working long hours, I stopped and "smelled the roses" regularly. I built-in rest breaks and meal times into my day. I too listened to a lot of learning tapes and audiobooks. I stopped along the way and I took walks.

I'm saying that you can work long hours. You can work smarter and do more in less time. You can pace and plan your days. You don't need to make yourself sick to make a new business work. Get into the "flow" and enjoy the moment.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
The answer to that question is by answering a bunch of other questions.

1. What competetive advantage(s) do you have? I would consider dropshipping myself, ONLY if I had a close friend who knew everything about it who could hook me up and was making 20k a month from it.

But unless that's the case, what else would give you a competitive advantage in some other industry or niche?
Does your family have a business that you could step into and help grow? Any friends or associates doing something that already has momentum?

Do you have any talents or skills or a connection in an industry not many people know about? My best friend works in the government contracting industry and that puts him at a HUGE advantage for when he wants to open his own company in that space in a few years. He'll have the capital, connections and experience to succeed and I'll bet that he's going to have millions in his late 20's.

Do you have access that would give you a leg-up on other people? If you had 0 skills whatsoever and no capital but you had some random piece of equipment (or access to it) that was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, you could provide an expensive service and make tons of money in your first year with no special skills.

It's all about doing something the market will love to pay you for, and it's much much easier if you have something unique about your situation or set of skills that you only have to slightly refine. For example: being able to throw a baseball 98mph would be a great competitive advantage. Go be a baseball pitcher and make 8 mil a year and have an awesome lifestyle.

2. Where do you want to end up? Do you want to build an enterprise business or a lifestyle business. You could throw some craigslist ads up online, build some websites and make 5 grand a month chilling on a beach in Thailand. I know because I did it December 2019. No boss, no debt... Just the beach, a light workload, mojitos and riding around on a scooter with no shirt, no shoes and no problems.

If you want to be worth 50 million someday and build a life that will change more than just yourself, you should build an empire. You don't do that being a digital nomad. You plant some roots and spend a whole lotta time on your business.

You could do one for a while and then do another. It's up to you but first you have to ask yourself where you want to end up and that'll help you pick a more specific path.

3. What's your current situation? Do you have kids to take care of? Do you live in Uruguay and there's less opportunity? Do you live at home or do you live in a 3k/mo appt and a car loan? Do you have 20k to start something or do you have $4?
@Johnny boy boy should start a few threads with all his advice in short snippets and then he can just say "answered that - here's my thread on quit being a dumbass" or "here's my advice on starting your business with $0 in your pocket"
thanks for another awesome answer!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy boy should start a few threads with all his advice in short snippets and then he can just say "answered that - here's my thread on quit being a dumbass" or "here's my advice on starting your business with $0 in your pocket"
thanks for another awesome answer!

The answers always change and I like to be personal.

I appreciate the kind words.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.