The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wordpress for the sole purpose of affiliate marketing?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hello once again. I been looking on web development and noticed how people are talking about using wordpress because it is easy to use. Well I looked more onto the free program and I wanted to make a web site for affiliate marketing/

I did a small research about wordpress and I hear that wordpress cannot be used for affiliate marketing. Is this true?

Others have told me to use wordpress but host it at a different site.
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated:iagree:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello once again. I been looking on web development and noticed how people are talking about using wordpress because it is easy to use. Well I looked more onto the free program and I wanted to make a web site for affiliate marketing/

I did a small research about wordpress and I hear that wordpress cannot be used for affiliate marketing. Is this true?

Others have told me to use wordpress but host it at a different site.
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated:iagree:

Wordpress absolutely CAN be used for affiliate marketing.

When people tell you that it can't, they are most likely referring to Wordpress.com. Wordpress.com allows you to create your own Wordpress blog ATTACHED TO THEIR WEBSITE. For example, if you wanted to create a blog about potted plants, your URL would look like 'pottedplants.wordpress.com.'

Since it's owned by wordpress, wordpress makes the rules, and you can't really add adsense or affiliate programs because of those rules.

If you want to buy a domain name and hosting, and use Wordpress.ORG to run your blog (requires a bit of installation, really really easy), you're free to do with your own website what you want. So if you want affiliate programs, you're going to need to buy a domain, get hosting, and install wordpress. Takes a small monetary investment (like $16 max for a domain and one month of hosting), but it's better than having a Wordpress.com blog on all accounts.

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
Just to add my 2 cents here. From your question up top it seems that you are fairly new to IM (Internet Marketing).

You can set up Wordpress very inexpensively but that's where the hard work begins. (post installation).

Marketing on the internet using a blog needs a lot of the following:

1. Consistency -- You must be prepared to blog 3-5 times per week if you really expect to get SEO working and viral in readership.

2. Original Quality Content -- People need to Know you....then Like you.....before they will ever pay you. So if your idea for affiliate marketing is copying and pasting a bunch of ads nobody will read your stuff much less click on your ads.

These two things are king and queen of internet marketing using a blog.

So make sure that you are 1000% fired up and ready to work hard for the next couple of years before you see serious success.

~Free Your Life, Live Your Dreams~

ijohnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
Bozigian,

It appears you are a newbie to affiliate marketing. Do some research and find yourself a good mentor or affiliate marketing coach if you can afford one. Having a mentor or studying affiliate marketing under a successful and trusthworthy coach or expert will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

As for setting up your WordPress blog, you can find video tutorials on YouTube that will guide you through the process. And, yes, you can use your WordPress website for affiliate marketing as long as you set it up under WordPress.org NOT WordPress.com (as MikeC pointed out in more detail above).

Good luck!

ijohnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
@Oceanside - you are so right -- consistency and posting original quality content are the two most important components you must have in place if you hope to build a viable blog and grow your readership.

They are areas I'm working on improving in this year in order to take my blogs to the next level.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Yes. i am new to IM. i already made a wordpress website and i have the handle or using wordpress sorta.

my website is promoting ebooks about vertical jump training since i used to coach and charge people for wanting better performance.

people have told me that i should write an ebook and sell it but i do not know how.
i am just stuck at my website. and today i did everything for my first website

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
wp review?

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Yes I am using wordpress to promote the ebooks

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Oh yeah my bad its.
www.dunkerprodigy.com

I typed the name of my website in the google search engine and it came first. I do not know if that is normal since I just typed the name of my website and not the keywords like; vertical jump, increase vertical

I made the website the first day I used Wordpress. I am a complete newbie to affiliate marketing. I do watch videos on youtube about how to get started on wordpress only problem is when I check the comments, people say it is not the new 3.0 Wordpress version.

I know that the affiliate marketing thing is saturated but I believe I can make some income with this. People have said do not quit your day job since it is hard to make money from IM, only problem is that it is very hard to get a job in the area where I live. since it sorta is in the ghetto

I will appreciate any advice from you guys since it sounds like you have been doing this for quite a while.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Affiliate marketing is only saturated if you try to enter the wrong markets. This is where keyword research and market research play one of the most important roles. You have to look at competition but also income viability.

Vertical Jump: 5400 global exact searches per month
Increase Vertical: 1300 global exact searches per month.

Using the google keyword tool, I can see some variations of the above that might be considered better "buying keywords", as such:

best vertical jump program: 590 searches/month
vertical jump training system: 480 searches/month
vertical jump program: 1000 searches/month

altogether for the 3 keywords above you have over 2000 searches per month or 69 searches per day. Assuming that 1st place in google gets around 45% percent of the clicks so thats 31 visitors per day. At a 2% conversion for a clickbank product (I havent seen your website yet so don't know what your offering) thats .0621 sales per day. So every 2 days or so you will make a sale and at $30 commission you will make $450 per month, give or take. Theres obviously a ton of variables and you might get more traffic, you might get less, because the google keyword tool is not entirely accurate anyway and you may not be able to crack the 1st spot, but still get in the top 5.

Next step is to analyze the top 10 sites for each of the keyword and look at their PR (not a heavy factor but still worth looking at), number and quality of backlinks (this is the biggest factor in my opinion), domain age (this is debatable) and their on page SEO. A lot of people look at the number of pages in googles index for a certain keyword, but I don't really take that into consideration because the real competition is the top 10 spots. You want to see what they are doing and decide if you have the time and resources to go up against them.

A good starting point for yourself is the 30 day challenge. I think it is now at challenge.co

I think shoemoney also still offers his 12 week course for free, but not really sure on that, but he touches a lot on PPC and that isn't something a newbie should get into in my opinion unless they are extremely analytical, have the money to invest and willing to monitor their campaigns like a hawk.

Hope this helps. Others, feel free to chime in or try to tear apart my thought process :smxB: - I enjoy learning from others that have experience in this matter.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
CmCarlin i googled that google keyword tool and I do not know exactly where to click.

and for the searches

So the more searches their are, does that mean the more likely people will not look at your website because it is searched too much?

Does a person want to market the product in keywords that have the most or least searches.?

Is their any books that you would recommend if you know of any so i can gain some more knowledge on this Internet Marketing thing?

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
people have told me that i should write an ebook and sell it but i do not know how.
i am just stuck at my website. and today i did everything for my first website

Here is someone I think would be excellent to learn from.

Best seller Jacob Hiller explains how to sell an ebook - Get Rich Click With ClickBank
“How to Jump Higher” eBook hits $1 Million+

"When you say “jump” to Jacob Hiller, he doesn’t say, “How high?” He says, “I can do it higher than you.” And then he offers to teach you how…for a small fee!

In fact, he has sold over 1 million dollars worth of his eBook “The Jump Manual,” a guide to vertical jump training – or the art of jumping higher (think volleyball & basketball players). Through ClickBank, network affiliates have raised online eBook sales of “The Jump Manual” to the level of New York Times bestseller, garnering Hiller attention from the likes of ESPN, Men’s Health and Sports Illustrated."

His youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muT0riSziRQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Is their any books that you would recommend if you know of any so i can gain some more knowledge on this Internet Marketing thing?

I think shoemoney also still offers his 12 week course for free, but not really sure on that, but he touches a lot on PPC and that isn't something a newbie should get into in my opinion unless they are extremely analytical, have the money to invest and willing to monitor their campaigns like a hawk.

http://www.shoemoneyx.com/?ref=390E3N8j9UBvv6Df

http://www.nickycakes.com/newbie-guide/

http://www.jonathanvolk.com/affiliate-marketing-guide/guide1.php

http://uberaffiliate.com/affiliate-marketing-guide/uber-affiliate-marketing-guide/

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
CmCarlin i googled that google keyword tool and I do not know exactly where to click.

and for the searches

So the more searches their are, does that mean the more likely people will not look at your website because it is searched too much?

Does a person want to market the product in keywords that have the most or least searches.?

Hi,

Generally you want more searches. If a keyword doesn't have enough searches then you won't get many visitors right?

Jaykim listed some great resources check those out. I'll mention the challenge again at The Challenge

Great start for a newbie.

cobwab

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 25, 2011
Wareham, Massachusetts, United States
Yes, there are two versions of wordpress; very confusing. Wordpres.com cannot be used directly for affiliate maketing if you link to an affiliate sales page. You use wordpress.org to do that However, you can create a wp.com website and link to your wp.org website via anchor text pointer. This builds a back link. Google loves backlinks.

You don't even need to use wp, there are many web 2.0 properties that allow you to build free websites like Squidoo.com. Some other free ones are:

1. WordPress.com — Get a Free Blog Here
2. Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog
3. Home - wetpaint.com
4. clearblogs.com
5. Squidoo : Welcome to Squidoo
6. HubPages
7. http://www.blogger.com
8. LiveJournal: Discover global communities of friends who share your unique passions and interests.
9. http://www.vox.com
10. Create Your own Quizzes, Stories, Polls, Lyrics, Poems, Journals and More at Quizilla
11. Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog
12. http://www.blogger.com
13. New Year's Resolutions on 43 Things
14. Zimbio - Interactive Magazine
15. Topix: Your town. Your news. Your take.
16. http://www.knol.google.com
17.Gather | Gather
18.Xanga.com - The Blogging Community
19. 9rules
20. eHow | How To Do Just About Everything! | How To Videos & Articles
21. Sign up | Tumblr[
22.wikiHow - The How-to Manual That You Can Edit
23. Create a Social Networking Site with Ning, the Best Social Site Platform
24. http://www.360.yahoo.com
25 Build a Website - Create a Blog - Squarespace
26. Blog.com

Please SEARCH before posting.