It's a bit mind-boggling...
Wikipedia is one of the highest trafficked websites in existence and ranks on the first SERP for countless search terms. Yet it's means of income is through donations!
Why? 😕
I mean, I did look it into this a bit...
Here's Wikipedia's answer to: "Why doesn't Wikipedia use ads for revenue?"
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Why_doesn.27t_Wikipedia_use_ads_for_revenue.3F
And here's the founder of Wikipedia (Jimmy Wales) responding to a similar question on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Wikipedia-ask-for-donations-rather-than-having-ads
I sort of understand...
But come on, isn't there a better way? (golden entrepreneurial question right there, haha)
YouTube uses ads and now has an optional paid subscription to avoid ads (YouTube Red).
I honestly believe the users of Wikipedia wouldn't mind something like that...
I wouldn't, would you?
A few more things to add...
edit (TED talk link): https://www.ted.com/talks/jimmy_wales_on_the_birth_of_wikipedia
I did watch a little bit of the TED talk with Wikipedia's founder and apparently because of it being run mostly by volunteers. At the time of the talk, they literally had ONE (1) employee! The "lead software developer."
Interesting stuff, so what are your thoughts?
And is Wikipedia fastlane? :joyful:
Here's Wikipedia requesting donations if you've somehow never seen it before...
Wikipedia is one of the highest trafficked websites in existence and ranks on the first SERP for countless search terms. Yet it's means of income is through donations!
Why? 😕
I mean, I did look it into this a bit...
Here's Wikipedia's answer to: "Why doesn't Wikipedia use ads for revenue?"
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Why_doesn.27t_Wikipedia_use_ads_for_revenue.3F
And here's the founder of Wikipedia (Jimmy Wales) responding to a similar question on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Wikipedia-ask-for-donations-rather-than-having-ads
I sort of understand...
But come on, isn't there a better way? (golden entrepreneurial question right there, haha)

YouTube uses ads and now has an optional paid subscription to avoid ads (YouTube Red).
I honestly believe the users of Wikipedia wouldn't mind something like that...
I wouldn't, would you?
A few more things to add...
edit (TED talk link): https://www.ted.com/talks/jimmy_wales_on_the_birth_of_wikipedia
I did watch a little bit of the TED talk with Wikipedia's founder and apparently because of it being run mostly by volunteers. At the time of the talk, they literally had ONE (1) employee! The "lead software developer."
- ~1.4 billion page views at the time of the talk!
- ~$5,000 monthly cost for bandwidth (main expense)!
Interesting stuff, so what are your thoughts?
And is Wikipedia fastlane? :joyful:
Here's Wikipedia requesting donations if you've somehow never seen it before...
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
