The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wifey Joins The Fastlane In A Big Way!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I haven't posted here in a while, mainly because I have been trying to rebuild after learning a few things about the import/export business earlier this year. I mainly learned how not to do it, and how much it costs to wind up a small company.

This is more in relation to my darling other half, who has just joined the fastlane, well she has been edging into it for a while now, and now with this first contract landed things are looking up.

Background

My wife has been working as a nursery teacher in an exclusive nursery for the last six years. Even though the place catered for an exclusive clientele, her pay was anything but exclusive. In fact, at one time I worked out that she worked about the same hours as the Citibank CEO, and was paid several thousand times less.

This fact really grated with me, the amount of dedication she gave to that place was superhuman, sometimes she would leave the house at 7 am, get back at 8 pm, and then work for 4 hours and go to bed. Depending what time of year it was, that could happen for 4 nights out of 5 for 2-3 weeks. When you factored in all the hours she was doing at home as well as the unpaid ones on location, the hourly pay was shockingly low.

So it got to a point whereby I finally persuaded to leave and perhaps set up something on her own. I even posted on here asking for advice about what people felt she should do. The advice that came back was good, and it was advice that I myself should have probably stuck to when it came to my business; stick with what you know.

Now my wife (she's actually still girlfriend, not for long though! :) ), has come up with a unique offering around pre-school education. There is literally nobody in the world doing what she has come up with, and there are plenty of people who would jump at it.

The other day she had a meeting with a contact and has just got a text back to say that she is going to take up her amazing program.

Mind Over Money

More than the money, it is her change in mindset, along with a new found (and completely justified) confidence in her skills. After reading the book on value, which you can see on @Fox's post here, I passed it on and told her that she was just like the dog walker in the story.

We had a bit of a tussle as she was sure that the prices I was asking her to charge were way too high. I tried to get her to see that they were only high if you took out the value element. To her great credit, she disagreed but kept an open mind about it. In the weeks since we had that conversation she has been slowly coming round to the idea that she has something of great value, that many (high net worth) parents want and are prepared to pay for.

So fast forward to today and she is now taking her first few steps in the fastlane, and it's great!

Future

The immediate future is great, her clients are coming from a very small, well informed group of parents who can well afford the fees. The value that they are receiving is immeasurable, as is often the case when it comes to a person's children.

As far as building a long-term, bonafide fastlane business, we'll see. At the moment, what makes the business so special, is my wife's expertise. In the future it could become possible that she trains others to do the same, however it's not so easy to see how that would look. For now we're in a situation whereby she needs around 5 Tier 1 clients per year, or around 6 Tier 2 clients per year, which will put her a lot closer to the aforementioned Citibank CEO, working a fraction of the time.

Pride

I am so proud of my gorgeous woman, we've both been slogging a way for the past few years, and she has supported me in my fastlane ambitions. She didn't complain when I left a decent paying job, she didn't complain when I turned down 9-5 work. Add to that, she stayed at her job for an extra year because we were short on cash, now it's her turn to shine and I'm fully behind her.

As for me, I am involved in some interesting upcoming projects and am learning more code, I've gone back to basics and am happy about the future.
I'm just happy that we can now get back to watering our money tree now, and carrying on striving to live the Unscripted lifestyle.

Peace

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nice story although I'm a bit concerned that "she will be the business" and if she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid.

She sounds like the great asset in the mix.

Do you envision something in the long-term to account for Scale and Time?

Congrats and move making!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Nice story although I'm a bit concerned that "she will be the business" and if she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid.

She sounds like the great asset in the mix.

Do you envision something in the long-term to account for Scale and Time?

Congrats and move making!

Yes you are completely right, what she is doing doesn't quite equate to the Fastlane; before I answer your question I just want to explain that I was so happy because previously she didn't have the confidence in herself she needed to 'go fastlane'. She was completely stuck in that 9-5 model, even though she supported me she felt like she could never do what I was attempting to do, and now she is.

I do envision something long-term, it will either be a direct scaling of this idea; or it will end up being a nursery setting using these methods. Plus she has started writing a book on childcare and I'm hoping this will give her confidence in that area as well.

Thanks for the answer, it means a lot to me, and I'll keep you posted on how it's all going :)

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Another quick thought I had is that she could post any materials she creates on Teachers Pay Teachers to create another non-time-based revenue stream for herself without much additional work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.