The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why mornings are so important to productivity

Anything related to matters of the mind

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
My favorite quote by Aristotle is “Excellence is not an act, but a habitâ€.

I propose that productivity is not a singular act but merely a collection of habits you form every day that, when bundled together, ensures an above average level of productivity.

I call this concept your productivity tempo. It is the rhythm of your day. It is the difference between a day where you consistently complete your tasks efficiently and a day where you procrastinate regularly or work at a slower, inconsistent pace.

What is so special about mornings?

Think of your mornings as the foundation your daily house of productivity is built on. If you start off with a strong foundation, then the tempo for the rest of your day will be steady. If you build it on top of a swamp, then you will have to take extra measures to turn your day into a productive one. People who claim to work better under pressure are overcompensating for their weak foundation by creating urgency. If those same people were to take the time to create a strong productive tempo, they would produce better results without the extra stress.

Your mornings set your tempo for the day. It is quite a feat to turn a non-productive morning into an exceptionally productive day. In all my research, I have yet to come across a method to attain this. If you have found a way, let me know.

There are three traits that give mornings a special place in our hearts.

Trait One – It sets the tempo for our day

Think of the last morning you had where you accomplished something big. Maybe you finished a report, cleaned the whole house, or returned all your voicemails.

How did the rest of your day go?
Did you have any trouble staying motivated?
Did you find yourself procrastinating?

Chances are you didn’t. That’s because during the morning, you set a frame for that day. You created a productive tempo that you were able to follow for the rest of your day. Most of the habits in this book are dedicated to developing that tempo. In fact, I would say that 80% of productivity and time management techniques are dedicated to tempo. The other 20% would be planning, goal setting and elimination.

Trait Two – A blank canvas

Every morning represents a new day of possibilities. When you first open your eyes, you are awakening to a day of endless opportunities. You can turn that day into whatever you want it to be. A productive day, a relaxing day, a procrastinating day, or any other kind of day that you want. Start each morning by outlining a portrait of productivity for yourself. By the end of the day, you will have a masterpiece.

Trait Three – Less distractions

Mornings represent a time of very few distractions. The earlier in the morning, the more true this becomes. This is the logic behind the common advice of waking up early. During the time of 5:00am – 9:00am, there are very few things that can pull your attention away from your tasks at hand. This uninterrupted time can be your most productive period of the entire day.

The earlier you wake up, the more time you have in this window. Although I advocate waking up when your body wants to, I do not deny that there is no other time during the day that will allow you to accomplish as much. The next best time is between 11:00pm – 2:00am and that is only if your mind has not become worn down during the day.
With fewer distractions comes less excuses for procrastination. Since no one else is typically awake during this time, there is nobody to pull your attention away from what you are doing. There are no phone calls to make, no urgent emails to return, and no fires to put out. It is just you and the task in front of you. It feels good just thinking about it.

Through mastering your mornings, you will learn to master the rest of your day. Because of the way our minds work, the benefits of properly framing your mornings will show themselves throughout the rest of the day by creating new additional habits. These are called seed habits.

After a less than pleasant visit to the dentist, I decided to start taking better care of my teeth, particularly through flossing. I committed to flossing every morning after I brushed my teeth. After noticing how much garbage was still between my teeth after brushing, I started flossing at night as well. That led me to brushing my teeth longer, which then led to me using mouthwash. Within a month, my teeth were as healthy as a dentist’s.

By planting the seed of flossing once a day, my habit of brushing my teeth twice a day for 30 seconds blossomed into brushing for two minutes three times a day, flossing twice a day, and rinsing with mouthwash each time.
This is how the mind works. These seed habits are small but in time will grow and blossom into larger, more impactful habits throughout your day.

If you're interested in increasing your morning productivity, you can check out my book "Becoming The 1%: How You Can Instantly Supercharge Your Mornings". It's free for the next few days on Amazon. I would appreciate any feedback from the community.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I personally agree wholeheartedly with your post, as I’ve always been a morning person. I wake up eager to get going and get the most done when it’s still in the wee hours of the day. Nonetheless, I’ve known people who are ‘night owls’ that only worked late at night (after everyone else is asleep). While I turn into a zombie late in the evening, others seem to get a second wind that pushes them to accomplish a heck of a lot. So I go back to my overall theory, which is that people are individuals and we all differ. Ex: my dad does most all his work in the late night hours….it’s when he feels he can truly tap into ‘the zone’ if you will. There have been times too when I’m so engrossed in a project that I loose track of time and it doesn’t matter what hour of the day it is because nothing is stopping me from moving full force at whatever I’m working on…whether it’s in the AM or PM.
Plus, lets not ignore the magic of caffeine….

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you're interested in increasing your morning productivity, you can check out my book "Becoming The 1%: How You Can Instantly Supercharge Your Mornings". It's free for the next few days on Amazon. I would appreciate any feedback from the community.

I usually do not allow this type of self-promotion from someone new, strange, and un-introduced ...

However...

Since you have provided some good value/tips above, I'm going to let it stand.

Thanks for the info (From someone who loathes mornings.)

bclark85

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
This is awesome. I have always practiced this myself, as I feel how productive I am first thing in the morning really sets the pace for my day. My wife hates that I am up at the crack of dawn doing things....however I always find that I am way more productive this way.:)

MissKeda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 17, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hi Dennis,

just got your book...I have always not been a morning person so Im very curious to see what you have to offer on the subject. Will def give feedback once Im done reading...Thanks for making this available to us.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I usually do not allow this type of self-promotion from someone new, strange, and un-introduced ...

However...

5 bucks he'll never come back to reply.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
5 bucks he'll never come back to reply.

Maybe not, but he made a good post and offered the book for free. There's certainly value in that even if he benefits as well.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Thread should be called: How to spam a forum and get away with it

Take notes children

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

Take notes children

I agree.

Everybody has their own ways in life regarding sleeping habits, drinking, fitness etc.

What I don't like is when certain habits get handled around by gurus etc. like you need to do this and that to get rich bla bla

I know LOTS of people who are very successful who drink, don't work out, wake up VERY late etc.

If you manage to understand to give people what they want in business you can drink and get up late, don't worry, just live your life like YOU want it.

It doesn't matter that you get up very early, be super healthy etc. all because some gurus tell you that's the way to get rich, but you don't have a clue what things are most important besides of that.

My very rich boss used to tell me: "The only difference between us rich people and the most poor people is that we always handle the most important tasks very efficient, and those tasks are most of the time the tasks that require to overcome fears. Most people love spending their time on all other tasks that they don't feel fear and they can feel good about living the easy way without some responsibility."

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I agree.

Everybody has their own ways in life regarding sleeping habits, drinking, fitness etc.

What I don't like is when certain habits get handled around by gurus etc. like you need to do this and that to get rich bla bla

You've got it dead on. Imagine if everyone woke up at 5AM, wow, the world would be a pretty scary place.

MissKeda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 17, 2012
Baltimore, MD

Take notes children

If someone gets value out of free info regardless of what the writers intention is, whats the harm?....if you gain something great...if not, on to the next thing... I could see your point if he was selling his book...it was free, so its in my library...for now...after I read it, it will either remain there or go in the trash.

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
I personally agree wholeheartedly with your post, as I’ve always been a morning person. I wake up eager to get going and get the most done when it’s still in the wee hours of the day. Nonetheless, I’ve known people who are ‘night owls’ that only worked late at night (after everyone else is asleep). While I turn into a zombie late in the evening, others seem to get a second wind that pushes them to accomplish a heck of a lot. So I go back to my overall theory, which is that people are individuals and we all differ. Ex: my dad does most all his work in the late night hours….it’s when he feels he can truly tap into ‘the zone’ if you will. There have been times too when I’m so engrossed in a project that I loose track of time and it doesn’t matter what hour of the day it is because nothing is stopping me from moving full force at whatever I’m working on…whether it’s in the AM or PM.
Plus, lets not ignore the magic of caffeine….

There are exceptions to everything. I have been known to stay up late into the night when working on a project I'm really into. I still find that nothing beats the quality of work I get done early in the morning.

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012

However...

Thanks!

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
This is awesome. I have always practiced this myself, as I feel how productive I am first thing in the morning really sets the pace for my day. My wife hates that I am up at the crack of dawn doing things....however I always find that I am way more productive this way.:)

I wish I had learned the power of mornings earlier in life. Good for you!

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
Hi Dennis,

just got your book...I have always not been a morning person so Im very curious to see what you have to offer on the subject. Will def give feedback once Im done reading...Thanks for making this available to us.

My email is inside, let me know what you think!

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
If someone gets value out of free info regardless of what the writers intention is, whats the harm?....if you gain something great...if not, on to the next thing... I could see your point if he was selling his book...it was free, so its in my library...for now...after I read it, it will either remain there or go in the trash.

Hopefully it will remain there :)

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
I agree.

I know LOTS of people who are very successful who drink, don't work out, wake up VERY late etc.

If you manage to understand to give people what they want in business you can drink and get up late, don't worry, just live your life like YOU want it.

It doesn't matter that you get up very early, be super healthy etc. all because some gurus tell you that's the way to get rich, but you don't have a clue what things are most important besides of that.

My very rich boss used to tell me: "The only difference between us rich people and the most poor people is that we always handle the most important tasks very efficient, and those tasks are most of the time the tasks that require to overcome fears. Most people love spending their time on all other tasks that they don't feel fear and they can feel good about living the easy way without some responsibility."

Everything that you said is dead on!

Believe it or not, I did originally have a chapter in the book that spoke about there being exceptions to the rule, but I removed it for clarity.

The reason why "gurus" (which I don't consider myself, I just have ideas that I like to share) say the things they say is because for the majority of people it will propel them forward. Things like eating healthy, working out and waking up early gives you more energy, more discipline and more self control. All of these are positive attributes to have with no downside.

I 100% agree that the most important thing you can do to achieve your goals are your highest value tasks. (I actually have a book on that very subject) The problem is, a lot of people have a hard time identifying those tasks for the very same reasons your boss spoke of.

With that being said, I would never discourage someone from reading a self improvement book, but I acknowledge that there are some people who already understands what it takes and don't need to see it in a book.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
I would agree whole heartedly that the morning sets the whole day. I was never a morning person myself. Always happy to work until 2-3 in the morning and then sleep in. Then I had kids, they don't agree with sleeping past 7:00. (Why would they, they go to bed with a nice story, asleep by 7:30 know what the plan is for the next day, wake up when they are not tired, go play for an while, help cook breakfast, then eat until they are full, go play with the dogs before school starts, why sleep in)

So with that in mind, my fastlane time slot has become 5:00-7:00am. But it has taken some time to transition to liking the mornings. Here are the tricks/habbits that have helped me as i'm hoping they may help others:

Check Lists: Got this one from Zig Zigglar and David Allen ("Getting Things Done") also re-strengthened by Kerry Patterson (et all) in "Change Anything". A simple bedtime and morning routine check list can do wonders to keep the willpower up and stay on track.

Example: My current bedtime checklist is simple:
Fill the wood box
20/20 (pushups/sit-ups)
Brush/Floss
Layout Clothes
Journal (5min)
Review Goal Sheets
Set top three next actions
(these are the top three things I need/want to accomplish the next day, Tim Ferris drilled this one in 4Hr-WW)

I just printed the lists on card stock and have one next to my bed at night and the other down stairs. In "Change Anything" he uses an example as a the check list is like the flight check plan, after a while you just go through the motions but you never skip a step. Also you find that after a few months the time length/slot becomes set and defined, making it harder to skip.

Opportunity Clock: My all time favorite Zigglar quote, ~"it's not your alarm clock it's your OPERTUNITY clock" not sure if I read it here on the forum or figured it out myself but it clicked one day that every time I hit the snooze button, I just extended my slowlane road by 15min. Time is continuous, so 15min wasted in bed puts me 15min farther away. Try it tonight tape the word OPERTUNITY on your alarm clock and see if you hit that snooze button...

Rewards: In the book "Habbit" by Charles Duhigg he breaks the creation/ritual of habbits into three parts, Trigger (alarm going off), routine (hitting snooze) and reward (extra few minutes of sleep). What they found is the trigger and reward can be really hard to change, the routine you have the most power over if you can replace it with a better reward. Trigger (alarm going off), routine (get out of bed) and reward (extra cream in my tea). The trick is the reward needs to be a real reward custom to you and one you will keep.

Environment: 2nd to last part that has worked is having the environment setup so when I'm done getting showered/dressed, tea made, dogs out and sit down at my desk, it's ready to go. cleaned off, inboxes empty out the night before ("Getting Things Done" fundamental). This makes it easy to focus...
which sets up the last part...

Top three Next Actions: Don't do anything else till you have completed one of the top three action from the night before. If they are the most important things from the night before then, checking e-mail, paying a bill, researching an idea you had in the shower must wait. Of the actions I try to do the one I least want to do (I've heard that in a bunch of places, if you need to fire someone don't wait till the end of the day, do it be done or it will distract you the rest of the day). I struggle with this all the time I always want to do the easy one first. I should also note that going to bed with your top three next actions is key, you will rehearse them in your sleep and when you get up you know exactly what steps you need to take to get them done.

Originally Posted by TK1:
"handle the most important tasks very efficient"
TK1 I like this point!, I'm going to need to add this mental question into my nightly goal/action review...

(Side note if "Next Action" does not click it's from "Getting Things Done" and is a way to ensure your action list is actual doable actions to move a project towards completion. [Ex: if you have a action to hang a picture in your living room, the "next action" may be to find the nails to hang it, "hang picture" is to general and if it's to general you may not work at it because your sub-mind knows there are more loose ends to figure out (find nails, find hammer, verify location with spouse...)]

Thanks Dennis for your post, typing this little mind dump above has been great for me to review what I've been working on over the last year and the timing is great as I've been getting laxed with the holidays and it being so dark and cold in the mornings.

Last edited:

dcrosby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 28, 2012
Great response!

I would agree whole heartedly that the morning sets the whole day. I was never a morning person myself. Always happy to work until 2-3 in the morning and then sleep in. Then I had kids, they don't agree with sleeping past 7:00. (Why would they, they go to bed with a nice story, asleep by 7:30 know what the plan is for the next day, wake up when they are not tired, go play for an while, help cook breakfast, then eat until they are full, go play with the dogs before school starts, why sleep in)

So with that in mind, my fastlane time slot has become 5:00-7:00am. But it has taken some time to transition to liking the mornings. Here are the tricks/habbits that have helped me as i'm hoping they may help others:

Check Lists: Got this one from Zig Zigglar and David Allen ("Getting Things Done") also re-strengthened by Kerry Patterson (et all) in "Change Anything". A simple bedtime and morning routine check list can do wonders to keep the willpower up and stay on track.

Example: My current bedtime checklist is simple:
Fill the wood box
20/20 (pushups/sit-ups)
Brush/Floss
Layout Clothes
Journal (5min)
Review Goal Sheets
Set top three next actions
(these are the top three things I need/want to accomplish the next day, Tim Ferris drilled this one in 4Hr-WW)

I just printed the lists on card stock and have one next to my bed at night and the other down stairs. In "Change Anything" he uses an example as a the check list is like the flight check plan, after a while you just go through the motions but you never skip a step. Also you find that after a few months the time length/slot becomes set and defined, making it harder to skip.

Opportunity Clock: My all time favorite Zigglar quote, ~"it's not your alarm clock it's your OPERTUNITY clock" not sure if I read it here on the forum or figured it out myself but it clicked one day that every time I hit the snooze button, I just extended my slowlane road by 15min. Time is continuous, so 15min wasted in bed puts me 15min farther away. Try it tonight tape the word OPERTUNITY on your alarm clock and see if you hit that snooze button...

Rewards: In the book "Habbit" by Charles Duhigg he breaks the creation/ritual of habbits into three parts, Trigger (alarm going off), routine (hitting snooze) and reward (extra few minutes of sleep). What they found is the trigger and reward can be really hard to change, the routine you have the most power over if you can replace it with a better reward. Trigger (alarm going off), routine (get out of bed) and reward (extra cream in my tea). The trick is the reward needs to be a real reward custom to you and one you will keep.

Environment: 2nd to last part that has worked is having the environment setup so when I'm done getting showered/dressed, tea made, dogs out and sit down at my desk, it's ready to go. cleaned off, inboxes empty out the night before ("Getting Things Done" fundamental). This makes it easy to focus...
which sets up the last part...

Top three Next Actions: Don't do anything else till you have completed one of the top three action from the night before. If they are the most important things from the night before then, checking e-mail, paying a bill, researching an idea you had in the shower must wait. Of the actions I try to do the one I least want to do (I've heard that in a bunch of places, if you need to fire someone don't wait till the end of the day, do it be done or it will distract you the rest of the day). I struggle with this all the time I always want to do the easy one first. I should also note that going to bed with your top three next actions is key, you will rehearse them in your sleep and when you get up you know exactly what steps you need to take to get them done.

TK1 I like this point!, I'm going to need to add this mental question into my nightly goal/action review...

(Side note if "Next Action" does not click it's from "Getting Things Done" and is a way to ensure your action list is actual doable actions to move a project towards completion. [Ex: if you have a action to hang a picture in your living room, the "next action" may be to find the nails to hang it, "hang picture" is to general and if it's to general you may not work at it because your sub-mind knows there are more loose ends to figure out (find nails, find hammer, verify location with spouse...)]

Thanks Dennis for your post, typing this little mind dump above has been great for me to review what I've been working on over the last year and the timing is great as I've been getting laxed with the holidays and it being so dark and cold in the mornings.

No thank you for all the great information! I have covered a lot of those topics, but I have not read those books. I will check them out this weekend. I bet they have some great info that I could learn from. If nothing else, maybe I can find some better ways of presenting my information.

I use a whiteboard for my morning checklist, but I will try the card just to see what it is like. I already made an opportunity sign for my alarm clock! (lol, priceless)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.