The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which host do you use for your site??

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
I have a website in the works that will provide content, videos, and allow users to share content. I need a host that can handle this and I was going to use yahoo but I just read their policies and from the sounds of it that "abuses" there shared server or something... any input would be great and some recommendations on a host... thanks guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
i am using yahoo site builder for the creation of my site can I still use hostgator for a host? thanks for the help

JP66

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the link JayKim. Many have the money back option if you don't like what your getting. I am planning on starting a website as well, so I have a few to decide between.

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
I use Hetzner.de, both shared and root servers. Excelent customer service. They are in Germany and if you are outside Germany prices are without tax (minus 19% MwSt.). And there is nothing unlimited, and I still don't understand why they say "you have unlimited bandwith... or storage" when it is limited.

By unlimited they want to say that *There are no charges for overage. They will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s.

*from hetzner.de website

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
LiquidWeb.com

arohan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 25, 2010
Michigan, USA
ServInt VPS. Used to use BlueHost, loved them but they were shared servers only so could not scale.

In my over 6 months with ServInt, never had any problems, and the tech service was excellent and responsive when I had an occasion to use them (when upgrading to a higher grade of VPS server)

Hopefully soon enough I will have a reason to move to ServInt Dedicated servers :)

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I use aptohosting.com !

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
thanks for all the replies... but I am using yahoo site builder to design the site, can I use this and still have a host such as hostgator?

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
thanks for all the replies... but I am using yahoo site builder to design the site, can I use this and still have a host such as hostgator?

I have never used it but I dont think you can.

Yahoo! SiteBuilder BAH!!!!!!!!!

If you ever want to be a serious web developer, don't ever, ever, EVER use Yahoo's SiteBuilder.

No, this is not just a rant.

Yes, I have valid reasons.

First, let me state that I have no real complaint with Yahoo web hosting. For $10/month, I have 5 gigs w/200 gigs of bandwidth a month, 200 email addys, PHP and MySql support, user specific FTP security, and a generous suite of support tools.

That said, the SiteBuilder tool is a wolf in sheep's clothing, BIG TIME!!

On the plus side, it is free, easy to use, and somewhat powerful. It makes otherwise complicated stuff like iFrames and Audio/Video support as easy as it does text.... plug it in, right click, link it, and go. It supports WYSWYG for PHP. Yahoo add-ins are plentiful. You don't have to know how to spell HTML to use it.

But (and thats a big BUT), SiteBuilder has some serious drawbacks.

First, Yahoo Site Builder only works on Yahoo Web Hosted sites. If you use any other host, you can't use YSB.

If you use any other editor to modify your page(s), YSB complains upon reopening the page(s) in YSB. It WILL open the page, but you may have some very nasty surprises when you view the results of your outside work, once back in YSB.

To compound this problem, you cannot publish any YSB developed page outside YSB. If you try, it will put a nasty disclaimer across the top of your page. You can manually remove the disclaimer, but who wants to do that every time you publish a page.

You can't selectively publish. That is, SiteBuilder will upload EVERY PAGE IN YOUR SITE THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED, every time you publish. Wanna work on two pages at once, then publish the one you finish first without publishing the other... no way. Both of them get uploaded.

You can't selectively synchronize your local folder. Every time you download into your local box, YSB will download EVERY byte on your site.
So.... if you DO decide to go outside YSB and FTP into your site, whatever code you uploaded is orphaned from YSB unless you download the entire site.

You can't decide to just use another editor without rewritting your entire site, cuz what you've done in YSB won't work in other editors. See the notes above about disclaimers etc. If you have a lot of pages, you are pretty much stuck with YSB and its limitations.

Yes, YSB has some limitations...

HTML support is trashy. YSB does not allow you to see your HTML. It does offer some very limited support for inserting HTML, but you never get to see your code unless you go outside of YSB.

Some simple stuff like anchor tag/link pairs is not supported in YSB.

Background color for text blocks, tables, iFrames, etc. is not supported.

Borders are not supported except in tables and iFrames.

Special characters are not supported. (No Horizontal Rule or copyright signs).

Combine YSB's limitations with the inherent tendency (Read "Yahoo's jealous control of your website development), to lock you in to YSB and prepare to be very frustrated if your web site takes off and you want to take your development skills to the next level.

And, If for some reason, you, like me, find your self in the situation where SiteBuilder won't communicate with your site (Yahoo tech support says they can't duplicate the problem so can't help me ), you are stuck and can't do any further development to your site.

Wanna talk about Yahoo Site Builder, email me... and check out my site, Make Your Own Free Web Site | Spiritual Development Theory at Americanphire.com. It is my first website and is pure SiteBuilder code as of this writing. It will be redone in Dreamweaver shortly.

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I use 1&1.com and Go Daddy, with my preference being the former.

I see HostGator mentioned many times in this thread. Have heard nothing but good things about them, as well.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
Which other software would you guys recommend for site building? The only other I know of is dreamweaver but I'm sure there are a lot more I know nothing about. Is there any free ones that are worth trying?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.