The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where's all the discussions of Gold and Silver investing?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
Hey Gang,

It's been a long time since I've stopped by (keeping busy with growing business).

I'm surprised there aren't more discussions of moving wealth into precious metals. Is anyone on the forum doing this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Well look who is back. It has been a loooooooong time. Welcome back Ryan.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
I am in as deep as I can go with gold and silver. I have been buying for years, and I wish I had more to put in. I am only using it for cash that I don't know what to do with. There has to be a "better" investment, I just don't know what it is, so I put it in gold/silver. That being said, I prefer investing in gold over silver, platinum or any of the other precious metals. Although, with the price of silver being where it is, I would be very tempted to buy silver.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
Hey Gang,

It's been a long time since I've stopped by (keeping busy with growing business).

I'm surprised there aren't more discussions of moving wealth into precious metals. Is anyone on the forum doing this?

I have...for several years now...

I'd started out with gold-backed digital currencies:

c-gold... Commerce 100% backed by real gold deposits!

http://e-dinar.com/

https://pecunix.com/

Lately I've been looking at strategically acquiring physical precious metals in the form of
bullion coins and bars.

I came across someone who has an interesting idea about using bullion as a form of private insurance.
Let me know what you think when you read it:

bullion as insurance

...nearly all banks and insurance companies are technically bankrupt as they hold their reserves in un-payable US government debt. Every business in America can fail if a major peril occurs and their insurance cant pay because their insurance company is broke or their money on deposit has been destroyed by hyperinflation.

Thus, EVERY business has an ordinary and necessary need to hold reserves for emergency AND insurance purposes in bars of real money aka: gold and silver. Bullion stands alone as the ONLY economically creditable way to insure the counterpart risk a hyperinflation will destroy the insurance, banks, and fiat money system your small business depends on to remain in business.

Employees will NOT show up to work, and suppliers will NOT deliver good or services to your company to earn money rendered worthless by a hyperinflation. They will demand payment in bullion they can then barter for goods & services just to show up for work or deliver.

The best way for a business to start a "metallica" self insurance program is to buy bars equal to all its insurance deductibles. After that bars are bought to raise deductibles further and peal away traditional insurance coverage until all liability is reserved in hard money the same way a pension fund is fully funded. Having many months of your typical payroll and suppliers bills in bullion is easily justified in this economic environment so full of hyperinflationary risks..."

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Hey RP,

Yes, I am heavy in the P.M. markets. I hold approximately 10% of my net worth in precious metals with it divided as follows: 15% gold, 80% silver and 5% platinum. I do it mainly as a hedge against inflation, but I also like having tangible assets like precious metals, and real estate.

Do you invest in P.M.s? What is your diversity allocation percentage? Do you follow Mike Maloney or David Morgan at all?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
thank you Runum, it's amazing how fast time goes when you're laser focused on your business. i've made many changes in the past few years and all for the better. the joys of watching your business grow ;)

in responses to the other posts. i'm brand new to this and just started my research. i'm mainly looking into this with all the talk of the dollar crashing and protecting your wealth. this was brought on by Mike Maloney. i'm not done with his audiobook yet, but i wanted to reach out to other investors who are actively investing in PMs.

do you guys have any recommended readings and forums online that i could start off with to build a foundation of knowledge before investing?

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
Hey RP,

Yes, I am heavy in the P.M. markets. I hold approximately 10% of my net worth in precious metals with it divided as follows: 15% gold, 80% silver and 5% platinum. I do it mainly as a hedge against inflation, but I also like having tangible assets like precious metals, and real estate.

Do you invest in P.M.s? What is your diversity allocation percentage? Do you follow Mike Maloney or David Morgan at all?

Have you ever considered getting any palladium or rhodium? I remember seeing a special offer
for rhodium that was being made by Kitco.

I've watched a few of Mike Maloney's YouTube videos. I'd attended the Hard Assets Investment Conference held in May, in NYC.

mlangley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 27, 2011
New Hampshire
I read somewhere recently that Soros and Paulson are going heavy back into Gold. I've been following the price of Gold since '08. I was foolish trying to swing/day trade it - I should've just gone long and let it ride. But haven't done anything, since they changed the leverage requirements a while back.

A great way to invest is to start a scrap gold business - you can give sellers way more than the pawn shops or the cashforgold types and still buy your gold at huge discounts. Then you send it off to refineries to melt down in your bars for investment.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
I read somewhere recently that Soros and Paulson are going heavy back into Gold. I've been following the price of Gold since '08. I was foolish trying to swing/day trade it - I should've just gone long and let it ride. But haven't done anything, since they changed the leverage requirements a while back.

A great way to invest is to start a scrap gold business - you can give sellers way more than the pawn shops or the cashforgold types and still buy your gold at huge discounts. Then you send it off to refineries to melt down in your bars for investment.

i know someone doing exactly this. seems like a great business model, i just don't want to start another business until mines 100% automated.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I've put some money in physical silver (got it way below spot price). From what I've heard/read, silver is the safer play because the percent spread between silver and gold has increased pretty significantly over the past few years (if silver went up 30%, gold went up 50% and so on)

So either gold is overpriced, or silver is undervalued... Or the relationship between them is changing, and we can't trust the metrics anymore :/ I'm not an expert, it's just what I've heard. I try not to buy into the PM hype either. I've seen plenty of people get burned, especially during that little bubble we had last year.

Personally, I think we won't see a significant jump in prices until after the election. Odd coincidence, how the economy seems to get better in election years :rolleyes:

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
I don't know nothing about these companies, but their websites look unprofessional as you-know-what.

You're right. You don't know anything about these companies, and as a result, you've made an uninformed assessment of their business. Well, at least you admit your ignorance up front before expressing your opinion. A lot of people usually state their uninformed opinion as if it were a statement of fact.

I've had accounts with these companies for several years, so I have first hand experience with them.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
i just finished mike maloney's audio book regarding PMs. it was educational and enjoyable. the problem i have is the publication was in 2008. who's to say that with all the hype going on, now is the time to start unloading?? a lot has happened with PM's and real estate since then. unfortunately i do not feel confident enough to make an investment (yet) in PMs based off the information from this audio book...the reading continues.

jheathco

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 28, 2012
Newport Beach, California
thank you Runum, it's amazing how fast time goes when you're laser focused on your business. i've made many changes in the past few years and all for the better. the joys of watching your business grow ;)

in responses to the other posts. i'm brand new to this and just started my research. i'm mainly looking into this with all the talk of the dollar crashing and protecting your wealth. this was brought on by Mike Maloney. i'm not done with his audiobook yet, but i wanted to reach out to other investors who are actively investing in PMs.

do you guys have any recommended readings and forums online that i could start off with to build a foundation of knowledge before investing?

As far as readings/forums go, I would take a look at zerohedge.com - I read that site daily, and not just for financial news. I think the dollar/US bond market is in the euphoric bubble stage we saw with housing right before it's epic collapse - I've got a lot of my assets in gold/silver related investments as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am not surprised about the gold bubble bursting... but I am SHOCKED at the hit that silver has taken today.

Probably just the central banks colluding in an effort to assert that their paper money is the only safe-haven game in town. Funny how "safe havens" aren't safe at all. (I.e: Bitcoin, gold, silver.)

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
My dad bought another 30k a little over a month ago.....I told him at the time that I would be buying once it drops down to the $24 an ounce range.

Ah well, guess the student is the teacher now.....bwahahahahaaaa. Anhoo, I'm definitely watching and trying to decide whether or not to pick up some paper silver (PSLV). Its pretty attractive right now.

dday97

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 20, 2011
New York
Commodities across the board took a hit, today was a great day to trade any of them. I traded oil but it was basically 'throw a dart at a commodity and short it' day. The trend lines never really broke off. The Gartman Letter released this morning was a good harbinger of things to come. He's pretty highly touted in the industry so if you want to know what he thinks about gold you should check him out, I know of Hedgeheads that follow his letter pretty close.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I am not surprised about the gold bubble bursting... but I am SHOCKED at the hit that silver has taken today.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html
Care to share your reasoning? I'm not surprised by the gold "bubble" bursting either, I'm even less surprised by silver. I think the paper gold market eventually breaks free from physical so this only adds additional tension...until physical runs dry. Ultimately..I think it goes much higher. The crashing of the paper price is necessary even if this isn't "it".

We'll see. If it trends lower I'm a buyer of gold if physical remains available.

Disclaimer: I hold gold and silver

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Probably just the central banks colluding in an effort to assert that their paper money is the only safe-haven game in town. Funny how "safe havens" aren't safe at all. (I.e: Bitcoin, gold, silver.)
"The central plank of Bernanke's magic recovery plan has been to get everybody back borrowing, spending, and "investing" in stocks, bonds, and other financial assets. But not equally so - he has been instrumental in distorting the landscape towards risk assets and away from safe harbors.

That's why a 2- year loan to the US government will only net you 0.22%, a rate that is far below even the official rate of inflation. In other words, loan the US government $10,000,000 and you will receive just $22,000 per year for your efforts and lose wealth in the process because inflation reduced the value of your $10,000,000 by $130,000 per year. After the two years is up, you are up $44k but out $260k for net loss of $216,000.

That wealth, or purchasing power, did not just vanish: it was taken by the process of inflation and transferred to someone else. But to whom did it go? There's no easy answer for that, but the basic answer is that it went to those closest to the printing press. It went to the government itself which spent your $10,000,000 loan the instant you made it, and it went to the financiers that play the leveraged game of money who happen to be closest to the Fed's printing press."

Guest Post: This Gold Slam Is A Massive Wealth Transfer From Our Pockets To The Banks | Zero Hedge

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Gold senior producers are cheaper now than at their October 2008 lows. After the friday crash I analyzed a bunch, they were all trading at lower P/E's, earning more EPS and paying out higher dividends now than in October 2008, all despite having their shares out increase and having their production costs go up. In 2008 central banks were selling gold, now they're buying it. It takes more shares now to buy an ounce of gold than in 2008.

In other words, if you had the prescience to recognize that gold shares where obscenely undervalued in October 2008, you would have made a dynamite trade as gold then took off on a 3-year bull leg up.

So here's the thing, gold stocks are cheaper now than they were then, sentiment is worse, because everybody knows it: gold is dead. (The talking heads on TV say so)

This is not how bear markets start. This is exactly how they end.

I've been invested in gold and silver since 1999 and had been keeping some powder dry because I had a feeling that the final "stage 3 bull" leg (the one that goes parabolic and has a blow-off top) was going to be preceded by a viscous selloff that would cement the conventional wisdom that "gold is dead".

That time is now. I'm not saying that gold is going to go straight up from here, but we have seen capitulation. This is a textbook setup for what John Templeton would called "The Point of Maximum Pessimism".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.