The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where does the profit come from?

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Just out of curiosity, when it comes to programs such as facebook and microsoft, where does the profit/wealth come from if these programs are offered mainly for free? I know facebook participates in ads and microsoft offers more advanced programs for added profit, but I don't believe they started out like this. In the case of facebook, I don't believe there were any ads or PPC programs to start with. It was just the bare essentials of the website alone; yet the worth of facebook continued to climb.

I ask this because my program/software, which is in the development phase right now, will not be a type of program I could offer for a profit, yet I believe, like facebook, it will be widely used by the populace (i.e. an internet browser). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Facebook went deep running on investor money before monetizing with ads and they are still figuring it out. Microsoft makes profit from their OEM license sales, enterprise volume licensing, etc. and 2nd and 3rd order profits. The "free" stuff like browsers etc. from them is just to hook people into their ecosystem. They are definitely not "free" ;-)

I'm not sure how well the "get big fast and sell" approach works anymore.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
The "free stuff" that those companies offer is initially subsidized by either:

A) Investment money from VC companies until critical mass is achieved, such as the case for Facebook, then the monetization process starts (ads + promoted likes, and etc...)

B) Other products that are cash cows, example, Microsoft makes money with Windows and Microsoft Office suite, which are paid, and they offer for free stuff like Internet Explorer, msn, etc.. to hook you up into their ecosystem.

If your business model is only to give stuff away for free cause people will use it without a further business model, you won't be in business for very long.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.