The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I run a hypnosis business. Oh, who am I kidding?... I'm a self-employed hypnotist with a Slowlane micro-practice and an idiot for a boss.

Pros:
easy to market because it's weird,
can set own schedule,
not replicable, so cannot be turned into a commodity or outsourced,
can devote time to Fastlane development efforts,
competition is weak (mostly hobbyists and "heart centered helper" types who aren't playing to win, so it's easy to develop strong, distinct USP),
get to work with interesting people

Cons:
have to be careful about "who not to work with"(ppl who are mentally ill, ppl who have severe personality disorders, or ppl who are simply passive schlubs who want a hypnotist to control their life for them),
not scalable or replicable (while retaining efficacy, at least),
income dependent on Time,
can devote time to Fastlane development efforts that are just Slowlane in disguise (have failed so many times with attempts at stuff like affiliate marketing, dropshipping, MLM yecch),
competition is weak (burning the market with dumb marketing and business practices),
results are inherently beyond control (not a matter of "run a process, get a result" --- drives me crazy)

I used to be in the tech field in roles incl. general peon, manager, and independent consultant.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
The modern day slavery trap.

On a side note: It is amazing what a couple of years on this forum and learning from the right people here and there can do to a persons clarity of perception. When you see through all the scams and slavery you have to go find new friends, no matter how long you've known them, because they all think your nuts now lol; the divide does become staggering.

A rant after having dinner with some long time friends from out of town.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
On a side note: It is amazing what a couple of years on this forum and learning from the right people here and there can do to a persons clarity of perception. When you see through all the scams and slavery you have to go find new friends, no matter how long you've known them, because they all think your nuts now lol; the divide does become staggering.

A rant after having dinner with some long time friends from out of town.

Yeah, agree with this. Just spent a weekend with friends I don't see too often anymore, and it is just mind-boggling how I just don't even want to throw opinions out on anything anymore. While my mindset still sucks, just reading, reading, and doing more reading brings up all of the material in your head when you're around these people. I'm really tired of hearing "That's so expensive (for a $20/person dinner), I had to take off work Monday, we can't afford an expensive wedding because DJ is too much" yada yada. My real joy among friends is talking to the ones who are motivated and listening to how they will better their lives/themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah, agree with this. Just spent a weekend with friends I don't see too often anymore, and it is just mind-boggling how I just don't even want to throw opinions out on anything anymore. While my mindset still sucks, just reading, reading, and doing more reading brings up all of the material in your head when you're around these people. I'm really tired of hearing "That's so expensive (for a $20/person dinner), I had to take off work Monday, we can't afford an expensive wedding because DJ is too much" yada yada.

I had dinner with a group of people from the Fastlane Forum last night in Hong Kong. As I reflect back on the discussions that stretched well into the night, I am realizing that none of the above was ever mentioned. It was all good, all positive, all forward looking, and all fun.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
I'm in IT, currently a techician for national customers with travel about 1 week a month in total. I do it all. Good thing about doing onsite service at customers it that you get out early all the time if you play the game right.:) Soon to be virutal server admin.

Unlike most of you guys, I love my job. I think it's because i'm working with technology which i love, and am constantly learning new technologies. My weeks/months literally fly by and I do not dread Mondays.

Working on a fastlane business right now also.... something to do with laptops and their performance :thumbsup:

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
legal intern. previously business analyst for investment co & management consultancy

pros:
understanding contracts
knowing business conduct rules
learning legal dispute resolution (not using courts) such as negotiation, conciliation, etc

cons:
writing contracts
legal-paranoia, aka "Lawyers are deal breakers!"
dealing with unscrupulous people

fastlane: greeting-card company

Cult45

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 27, 2012
Yikes! So you went to school for years and now you hate your profession?

MJ, I have always hated the "job" of dentistry. Trying to do precision work in a pool of spit, blood and pus in the back of the throats of jumpy/skittish people gets really old !!!!

However, it has provided me and my family a great living. I pretty much make my own hours and thus can adjust my income accordingly. It has been a profitable "job", but definitely not fastlane.

I am 43 years old and made my 1st million by 35. Mostly from dentistry, but also from wise and sometimes lucky stock market investments. Still, I am counting the days to early retirement.

ps....Thank You for this awesome website and your fantastic book. :tiphat:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm a young music video director. Started 2 years ago and now I'm one of the top directors in my city. Helped a rapper my age (19) get signed under a division of Epic Recordings. Got "picked up" by Machine Gun Kelly's (Rapper Also) label to work with his artist, learn, and gain more experience.

I'm now trying to learn more about marketing to help brand myself more and increase opportunities.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Part time IT guy, full time hustler. True Story.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I own & manage a small boutique residential real estate brokerage here in the Phoenix Metro area.

Pros:
The buck stops here.
I work with clients I choose, refer off the others to my agents.
No office politics or professional decorum standards. When someone needs to f*ck off, I enjoy telling them to do so.
I make my own hours/schedule. Decent income.
In a world where no one has your back, I can unabashedly say that my clients have someone looking out for their best interest. Period.

Cons:
Liability for the actions of my agents.
Income is mostly tied to investment of personal time.
So many people have to be competent at their jobs for me to obtain a paycheck & it's becoming ridiculous.
Realizing I'm not as free as I led myself to believe & that I believe less & less in the "American Dream" of homeownership...

My background is IT & Design. I have a BFA in Graphic Design & hate it with a f*cking passion.

I'm currently assessing a few different ventures, everything from product importing to senior placement assistance & even a paleo-themed restaurant. I have too many interests to do the same thing for the rest of my life.... my eyes & ears are always open for opportunity, as I believe it's everywhere, I just need to decide what I want to pursue first.

AlexV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 12, 2013
Munich, Germany
I've got my Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and now working in development in the automotive industry as an technical project manager.

Pros:
-I learn alot of sales (we need to sell to keep it up), negotiations (in automotive every freaking cent matters because it is all around the volume you sell), people handling all over the world (have some guys in China and India doing the tasks I send, and some in the US which do their share), structural thinking, time management
-competitive field (I love the thrill of it)
-I'm not the usual corporate droid doing everything by the book and I tend to avoid every meeting I can(real time waste) so I finish my jobs pretty fast and have half of the working day for developing my fastlane plane and me
-I can wear suits and smart casual clothes without people looking weird at me(love being smart, even if it sound a little cocky)

Cons:
-limited pay, not bad but surely not fastlane
-fix work hours
-I need to be at the spot everyday
-working with droids, intelligent ones, but still droids which don't usually understand different mentalities
-when it burns, then it burns and I'm usually called in to avoid catastrophic outcomes (we had 3 cars last month that exploded on tests)

I want to exit this rat race even if at some point I like it, but it is not what I wish for my family and I

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Everyone in this thread should stop referring themselves by their current occupation.
If you are to make it, when someone asks you what your job is. Say an ENTREPRENEUR!
We are entrepreneurs first! "Our jobs" are part times! Doesn't matter if you are putting 80hrs at your job.

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA
Self employed, partner.

Designer, Web Development
Entrepreneurial ventures

Medium/slow lane if I had to label it lol

- Bachelors in graphic and visual communications

- Soon to be, Bachelors in entrepreneurship

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Everyone in this thread should stop referring themselves by their current occupation.

The title of the thread asks "what is your job?" & "what do you do?" therefore I answered with both. How beneficial would a thread be where 50 people simply responded with ENTREPRENEUR!!!!!! That's a given, my friend, otherwise we would not be here. And what you see are the answers to the question the original poster posited.

D

DeletedUser2

MJ, I have always hated the "job" of dentistry. Trying to do precision work in a pool of spit, blood and pus in the back of the throats of jumpy/skittish people gets really old !!!!

I am counting the days to early retirement.

I cant tell you how often I have heard that from my dentist friends.

"up to my elbows in blood and spit all day.
secretly counting the hours until retirement."

Im telling you, if someone can tap that market, and provide a value, or escape hatch to those dentists.... well they would be a wealthy man indeed.

now, what value could you offer dentists.... to speed that transition.?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Im telling you, if someone can tap that market, and provide a value, or escape hatch to those dentists.... well they would be a wealthy man indeed.

Interesting.....:tiphat:

Mach79

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 26, 2013
The midwestern US
Corporate jet pilot for a leading charter/fractional company. Don't hate my job, and make decent money, but it's not Fastlane. Currently learning, exploring, investigating internet based retailing. Not just dreaming, taking deliberate action to move into the Fastlane.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
I work in weapon acquisitions for the Department of Defense.

G

GuestUser8117

I don't work currently but I'm thinking about working in international relationships while I fund the business. Not easy to start a business when you are in the rat race.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I do many different things, but from a JOB standpoint, I am a director of a start-up. Not sure it counts as a JOB but I do answer to the CEO.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Haha references to the movie Lord of War are a standard joke in our office. ;) Thats essentially what I do, only for the good guys!

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Im 26 - will be 27 this summer and working as a full time electrical engineer in the power industry.... I also own about 150 domains, have a few comic related blogs (that get me press pass to every comic con :) ), some various micro niche websites, and I buy/sell just about any collectible - from video games to comics

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Im 26 - will be 27 this summer and working as a full time electrical engineer in the power industry.... I also own about 150 domains, have a few comic related blogs (that get me press pass to every comic con :) ), some various micro niche websites, and I buy/sell just about any collectible - from video games to comics
Interesting, my friend I am a little curious to know why you have a 150 domain name?

michellepinto

Banned
Mar 7, 2013
Of course it's a job. Everything big once started small. And start ups can give one a great learning platform and a lot of exposure to the industry at large. The business could inculcate a strategy analytics [link removed by MOD] plan and you'd be soaring with all the right business decisions before you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Is that user being paid to build backlinks to Boston Analytics? I guess it means they paid some SEO company that is doing a really crappy job? I wonder how their executive team composed of supposed strategy experts such as Kimberlee Luce, Devesh Bahl, and Inder Thukral, would feel knowing that their SEO firm is causing their corporate brand and personal reputations to be associated with clueless SPAM tactics.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
It seems I'm the only one so far, but I'm a software developer by trade. My current job is QA Engineer at one of the top 3 grossing facebook game companies (we like to gamble). I get paid pretty well for my experience.. I have 1 year of normal QA experience on enterprise applications and half a year as a software developer and I make $55k. Not amazing but I'm contracted right now so I get paid double on overtime, which I do fairly frequently. My last job I worked 60 hours a week for $40k no recognition, no raise, and ended up getting fired. Hated that situation. It was in the throes of hating myself and that job that I discovered this forum and MJs book.

I settled for this job because I get paid a lot to sit around with high tech mobile devices and hit buttons. Yep, that's my entire job. hit buttons on iPad 4s and iPhone 5s all day. Very low stress, I'm much healthier, and I have the brainspace to work on personal projects like the app I've decided on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.