The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's up everyone! Checking in from New Jersey!

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
Hey everyone!

Kind of been lurking around the forums for the last few weeks after coming across it on google. Just wanted to get a feel for how things are and see what goes on around here. Needless to say I am happy to have stumbled upon this forum. Everyone here seems like they are all headed in the right direction and give great advice, and the success stories are amazing. It's almost reassuring to see how many other people out there are trying to break out of the norm and become self made. So I finally made an account, and here I am, lol.

A little about me: I'm from North Jersey just 15 mins outside of Staten Island, NY. In my early 20's. Have a diploma in Electrical Technology, so by trade I'm an electrician I guess you could say? Never wanted to do it as a career, just something to fall back on and gain some experience in. Put off college ever since I graduated from high school, which was a huge mistake IMO. So I now want to go and get my BS in Business Management and International Business. Although college can't teach me the talents I already possess, I still want to further my education and feel it's the right thing to do. Growing up I always had a sort of "Entrepreneurial" mindset I guess you could say, and just over the last 2 years realized that being a confined human being of the 9-5 grind and having a superior my whole life was not going to be me.

I want far more out of life then that and the things I would like to acquire and experience in life will not come from relying on someone else for a paycheck but relying on myself to make it happen. Basically I don't want to die an average life and realized I'd rather "do things now that most people won't do, so I can live the rest of my life like most people can't" (Yes, I know I quoted Don from Secret Enourtage, lol). I started a little tech company recently mainly focusing on apps for the iPhone/iPad (Yes, another one of those guys.) Although I don't plan on becoming the next Chad Mureta or Allen Wong (but anything is possible, I can't predict the future) I'd simply just like to generate a decent amount of ROI off a "small" investment from some apps and then from there use it to invest into other ventures/markets/projects...

Anyway that's about it. Sorry if that was too long lol, just figured I'd open up with a decent informed intro, rather then leave you guys kind of clueless and another one of those "Hi, from _______, looking to _______," kind of threads. None the less glad to be here and can't wait to create future friendships with like minded individuals! Feel free to ask any questions! Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

- JG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I now want to go and get my BS in Business Management and International Business. Although college can't teach me the talents I already possess, I still want to further my education and feel it's the right thing to do.

I want far more out of life then that and the things I would like to acquire and experience in life will not come from relying on someone else for a paycheck but relying on myself to make it happen.

IMO, these two statements are counter intuitive to each other. If you want the life everyone else has, go to college. If you want a great life that only the few have via an entrepreneurial lifestyle, I'd say skip college. There are about 10 threads on this forum about going to college, or not going -- give those a look. They might be helpful to clarify what's right for you.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting the introduction.

:)

LimitLessJG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 2, 2013
New Jersey
IMO, these two statements are counter intuitive to each other. If you want the life everyone else has, go to college. If you want a great life that only the few have via an entrepreneurial lifestyle, I'd say skip college. There are about 10 threads on this forum about going to college, or not going -- give those a look. They might be helpful to clarify what's right for you.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting the introduction.

:)

Just out of curiosity MJ, why is it that you feel they are counter intuitive with each other? Although ALMOST everyone goes to college and lives a normal life thereafter, a lot of entrepreneurs went to college also. Just because you want to live the entrepreneurial lifestyle doesn't mean you don't have to go to college. Do you think it's not possible to live the great entrepreneurial life if you go to college? Definitely not trying to debate or anything, just trying to further understand your response is all :)

Thank you for the welcome MJ! Glad to be here!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Although ALMOST everyone goes to college and lives a normal life thereafter

This forum is not for those who seek the 'normal' life.

Just because you want to live the entrepreneurial lifestyle doesn't mean you don't have to go to college.

Because debt steals time and time is one thing you need to succeed in entrepreneurship. The odds of someone succeeding as an entrepreneur with $100K in student loans, 2 kids, a wife, a $500K mortgage, the 2012 Audi, and all the other trappings of "normal" life, IMO, are much lower than someone without this stuff.

Do you think it's not possible to live the great entrepreneurial life if you go to college?

Not at all -- however, I think its improbable for someone who is so suffocated by debt that they have time for nothing else other than a life-consuming job. And of course, because the job is so consuming, they go out and get the nice car, and the nice house to assuage their misery, further propagating the trap.

Don't confuse college with debt ... unfortunately, nowadays, the terms are synonymous.

Hope this clarifies.:D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...