The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's in a name?

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
What do you guys think of business/domain names that are spelt wrong on purpose? e.g. Kool-Aid, Froot Loops, etc...

I'm in the process of choosing a brand name after importing some samples, and after much deliberation I think I've found a marketable, well-sounding name. Unfortunately the .com is taken, however I can spell one of the words with a k instead of a c, this actually makes both words start with a K which is kind of cool, but I worry about the longevity of choosing an incorrect spelling for a business name, and whether it will hinder any sales.

Any feedback much appreciated, I find that choosing a name/creating brand identity is one of the most interesting and creative processes of starting, and I'm sure it will be useful for other entrepreneurs to discuss how to find the perfect name.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
Depends on the business. The ones you mentioned are both marketed to kids so it makes the brand sound more fun and what not.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
but I worry about the longevity of choosing an incorrect spelling for a business name, and whether it will hinder any sales.

It depends on the type of product and target audience. 99% people will pay more attention to the value that it provides for them than the name of the product. My brand has a shortened version of a standard word that underlines red every time. But do my clients care about that? No. They care what the product does for them.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Name is pretty unimportant for the most part. AT&T sells phones, CBS is a media company, Zynga sells games, and Google runs the internets.

It's more what you do with the name, than the name. (Unless your brand went from Chris's Classical Clowns to Kris's Klassical Klowns.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Two thoughts ...

Yes ... at least to some extent ... the other site will be the residual beneficiary.

But ... from a lawyers standpoint ... consider:

Is the domain name also the name of their brand ...? If so ... you might run into some trademark problems ... especially if you are in the same business.

For example ... if I started a dating site called "G-Harmony" ... I'd have my a$$ handed to me for trademark dilution.

Ditto if I tried to launch a credit report service called "FreeKreditReport.com"

Or if I launched a social media platform called "Fasebook"

Up to you. But something to consider ...

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
I'm glad you have confirmed that a name's strength is based on how you use it.. I suppose the only doubt I have is in regards to SEO and people Googling mis-spelled names...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.