The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats Expected When Selling a High Dollar Business?

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Ive been through a 6 figure sales and the standard items were needed to prove that your business is what its claiming to be.

1. Bank Statements- the most current year was priority
2. Returns
3. w-9s for employees
4. Fixed expense bills and statements.

I am wondering what is expected in terms of record keeping when the time comes to sell your 7 figure business.

How is the process of due diligence different if at all?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I know a guy who sold a 9 figure air transport business and it involved a bus load of lawyers and accountants reviewing the company, than managers from the company that was buying them making the switch. They went over all the aircraft, books, client lists/contracts etc.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
The good ole sayings, Have all your ducks in a row :p

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Due diligence and lawyers!

Expect strangers to investigate everything about your business ... from finances to customer relations. My sale took forever because the lawyers had to draft documents the size of the current health care bill.

Any yes, better record keeping is urged as that would have made the sale move faster! If you can reduce risk and document everything, the sale is more likely to go through.

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Kind of what I thought but wasnt sure if there were some new tactics I wasnt sure about.

Thanks

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
If you plan to sell your company, start your planning early. You need to make sure you aren't treating the company like your personal checkbook. You want the company to look profitable on the books. You need all corp documentation up to date and in all federal and state compliance. Accounting records must be perfect. It took me about 1 year to sell my business.

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Its funny you said that. I seem to write off a lot of expenses in the business but I though the "adding back" for owners benefit was in place for this reason. Honestly, how else can a business owner show the potential owner what the true earning capacity is?

Are you suggesting showing all gains in true fashion? That would increase the tax liability a substantial amount.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Its funny you said that. I seem to write off a lot of expenses in the business but I though the "adding back" for owners benefit was in place for this reason. Honestly, how else can a business owner show the potential owner what the true earning capacity is?

Are you suggesting showing all gains in true fashion? That would increase the tax liability a substantial amount.

for this question, it would depend on the size of the business and the buyer. if your business is going to sell for $1m, then you just need to keep accurate records of "personal" expenses to add back for valuation. If your business is selling for $20m, then you shouldn't be buying that Lambo or airplane through the company as biz expenses. this is a red flag to buyers.

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Agreed, I was asking about 7 figure sales initially, in the 3-5m range. Im thinking the add backs and Quickbooks will provide a good basis. Thanks for your insight.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I sold a couple companies over the last 10 yrs, one sold to a fortune 200. Lots of due diligence. Get an accountant and M&A attorney to help you. I hired an investment banker as well. There are plenty of firms that specialize in small/medium size businesses. (a definite cut above your standard business brokers). This can be a mine field. Make sure you look at recasting eligible items on your financials since a biz owner will make decisions and accounting to minimize tax burden but this can depress the actual profit potential (hence value especially at some multiple of earnings) at sale time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.