The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What y'all think about Threads by Meta?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
well 30 million people apparently signed up and twitter's failing so...

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
It is just another distraction. Please remember that with social media you are the product unless you use it to your advantage to promote your business or sell something to the other users.

Then there is the whole can of worms of privacy issues where this app even request your browser history and your health data. I mean if you don't have any problems with that, that is none of my business but personally it's a big red flag.

On the business side this may be good for meta who hasn't had a good product launched in a while. Facebook is full of 50+ to 60+ years old , Instagram is losing out to TikTok, Whats-app remains largely un-monetised so far.
If they pull it off good for Zuck but otherwise it will be just a fad like Google+ or Bluesky.

Only time will tell.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
Meta just launched a twitter clone, threads. What are your views on it?
On the political side, I feel Elon Musk is genuinely trying to make Twitter a place for unbiased news and discussion.
On the business side we have to see. I don‘t have the energy to take on every social media platform, but if there is potential there may be a reason to get active ther for marketing purposes.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
It's Zuckerberg's way of acknowledging he knows people have been sick of both him and Facebook for the better part of 10-20 years now, and while he knows it's time Facebook be replaced, no one really understands what the future of social media looks like.

I've spent the last 5 years saying, "now is the perfect time for someone to swoop in and challenge Facebook." I still stand by that statement. But good luck figuring out exactly what it will take to finally dethrone Facebook.

In regards to "Thread," I'm going to treat it like I treat every social media platform: avoid it like the plague unless the "free advertising/marketing" is too good to be true (e.g. with Facebook).

Cheers.

msd23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 12, 2019
Any thoughts on the app itself? Is it a good place to promote your products/business? It's blocked in EU for privacy reasons so can't check.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

Ayush_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 18, 2022
What's the exact name of the app? I am serious.

How can the app be used to market and sell?

Why do I hear they make it hard to delete accounts?
If you try to deactivate threads, you lose your insta as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Gee, it's just a Twitter clone just with more censorship in accordance with approved Zuckerburg narratives.

Hard pass.

And F*ck Zuck.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Gee, it's just a Twitter clone just with more censorship in accordance with approved Zuckerburg narratives.

Hard pass.

And F*ck Zuck.
I don’t think most people understand what’s at play.

Elon Musk fired 80% of Twitter’s workforce. Most of them security professionals, working for the Stooges. You know… those who want to control public opinion.

So is it not natural that their man, Zuck, receives the order to go crush Twitter because it can’t be controlled?

The result is that those 80% that were fired will now move onto Threads. And the masses will follow along to their overlords.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
So you sign up... and then it gives you a choice to follow/be followed by your Instagram followers... which I did... and now the number of people whom I've just lost respect for because they are saying the dumbest shit you could possibly say...

I seriously can't believe it. Just a stream of (dumb) consciousness that any normal person would say "hey, that's a thought I should keep to myself."

Somewhere along the line, the world stopped reminding people that everything you post online is forever.

I have no idea what these people are thinking.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
So you sign up... and then it gives you a choice to follow/be followed by your Instagram followers... which I did... and now the number of people whom I've just lost respect for because they are saying the dumbest shit you could possibly say...

I seriously can't believe it. Just a stream of (dumb) consciousness that any normal person would say "hey, that's a thought I should keep to myself."

Somewhere along the line, the world stopped reminding people that everything you post online is forever.

I have no idea what these people are thinking.
Reminds me of when Facebook first came out when I was in college. I reluctantly signed up after the first wave... and not so reluctantly posted some of the most cringe things that I still shudder to believe...

1688780821473.jpeg

Mike Ronin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 18, 2019
Coastal Alabama
Hard pass for me. Zuck is the ultimate censorship Czar, and also runs the most data-stealing platform in social media. I predict it will die just like most of his rip-offs of other projects he has attempted. Twitter and Elon FTW.

Marcos Morales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 3, 2019
Spain
That's where the attention is going to.

And we know that Attention = Money.

It's impossible now to say "it will replace Twitter" but it cannot be denied either that Twitter has lost some users since the acquisition.

So, from my standpoint, try to be there now that competition is low.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Definitely sounds like your average Instagram user...

When I was 14-15, I wanted to become a game developer. This was around 2004-2005, so still quite early internet. There was this game development forum I used to post in, under my full real name.

Don't remember what exactly I wrote, but often it was a big pile of crap. Even back then, I was already a big time shit stirrer. Among other things, I received my first cease & desist letter (actually my mom did) around that time for setting up a website for my game dev "company" with a name that sounded suspiciously similar to one of the most popular projects at the time. Which was then extensively discussed publicly on that forum.

I then discovered alcohol, girls, etc and lost interest in game dev. But my posts where still indexed on Google on the first page for my real name for years. At some point, that forum went offline, and luckily, my posts with it.

Definitely taught me a few lessons about "what happens on the internet stays on the internet". Apparently not about shit stirring though.

Last edited:

msd23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 12, 2019
Looking at the posts in this thread, I'm wondering why are you looking at it from the Musk/Zuck drama perspective, rather than simply as a tool that could help us reach more customers?

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looking at the posts in this thread, I'm wondering why are you looking at it from the Musk/Zuck drama perspective, rather than simply as a tool that could help us reach more customers?

Absolutely, same goes for TikTok or any other platform.

However, I do have principles.

Just because doing business with the devil might increase my bottomline, doesn't mean I need to do it. I realize that's hyperbole, but I view Threads (at this current moment) as an unnecessary evil, when it becomes a necessary evil, that's when I'll consider it.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Definitely sounds like your average Instagram user...

When I was 14-15, I wanted to become a game developer. This was around 2004-2005, so still quite early internet. There was this game development forum I used to post in, under my full real name.

Don't remember what exactly I wrote, but often it was a big pile of crap. Even back then, I was already a big time shit stirrer. Among other things, I received my first cease & desist letter (actually my mom did) around that time for setting up a website for my game dev "company" with a name that sounded suspiciously similar to one of the most popular projects at the time. Which was then extensively discussed publicly on that forum.

I then discovered alcohol, girls, etc and lost interest in game dev. But my posts where still indexed on Google on the first page for my real name for years. At some point, that forum went offline, and luckily, my posts with it.

Definitely taught me a few lessons about "what happens on the internet stays on the internet". Apparently not about shit stirring though.

I'm glad nobody can find my AOL Chat Logs... :rofl:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
It was so "successful" that it convinced me to delete instagram too.
It's just another censorship trap and I'm super fed-up with the censorship on Fb and Insta that I don't want more censorship there too.
And the way they set it up that you couldn't delete the Threads account without also deleting instagram is truly evil. It aims to force people into this new evil Zuck-hole.

358474739_297873589334496_8845581464987892561_n.jpg

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I hate twitter anyway so why would I use threads

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Threads "died" quicker than I thought.

BTW IG is great to reverse-engineer sales funnels.

You click on an ad, get on a landing page, then can explore the product and company that sells.

Always a big surprise to see brands I have never heard of have hundreds of thousands of followers!

Another surprise: the amount of products.

For example, this is a sample of vegan makeup brands sold on a French website:

1689370555434.png

Like..what???

They're all selling the same thing!

I suppose many of them belong to the same owner too....

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
It is just a mess, I like twitter UI more, Facebook already has Instagram, I don't think it will beat twitter on the long run, Jut like Musk bought Twitter based on emotions, Mark has created this uselss app (Threads) based on emotions to break Twitter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.