The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
We are moving to Vegas sometime in August. I have made a short list of homes I like, and would like to get out there sometime before mid June to see them in person and write up an offer with the intent of closing around the end of July.

My question is, we currently have 3 SFH, and we were planning on refinancing our primary (currently a VA) to a conventional with the intent of freeing up our VA to use out in Vegas.

About 80% of the inventory I'm coming across out there is bank owned. I spoke to a lender today who said that VA has tightened up and is a bitch to get bank owned properties through, due to all the regulations, and that VA is now requiring some sort of addendum which requires a statement of "market conditions" in the area, which I would imagine be hard to prove.

The house that I'm eying is $250k, with comps at $270k-$350k. I would like to offer $180k with no contingencies.

So what would you do in this situation?

- Move forward with a VA and submit offers to banks?

- Rustle up the cash, pay for the home outright and refi into a conventional? (Anyone have any pros and cons to doing this?)

- Keep our current primary as a VA and just finance the new home with a conventional loan?

I'm open to any ideas. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
your going to have to pay refi costs on the VA loan. Why not keep it VA and go conventional on the new place? If you can afford to pay cash you can afford to put a healthy down payment that would guarantee a quick closing.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Since your offer is low and your trying to get a deal, here IMHO is the best way to do it, and probably the cheapest way for you.

Offer them cash, sellers love this.

Refi out into a conventional mortgage.

Thats what I would do.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
your going to have to pay refi costs on the VA loan. Why not keep it VA and go conventional on the new place? If you can afford to pay cash you can afford to put a healthy down payment that would guarantee a quick closing.

The refi costs for the VA would be minimal as we aren't taking cash out, we are just wanting to lower the interest rate. ...As far as the cash down, we would want it back--I don't really want to put 20%+ down on something if I can borrow for it at 5% or less.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Since your offer is low and your trying to get a deal, here IMHO is the best way to do it, and probably the cheapest way for you.

Offer them cash, sellers love this.

Refi out into a conventional mortgage.

Thats what I would do.

Hatterasguy, do you think we'd have issues refinacing to a conventional after we pay all cash? That would be my main concern. Any ideas as far as questions to ask a lender to ensure that we don't get stuck holding the note?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I'd be shocked if you had a problem. You might even be able to do a HELOC insted of a regular 30 at an even lower interest rate. I know people who are paying just over 3% on HELOC's now!

I'd talk to your lender or the bank.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
heck, if you're gonna be like any other californian or nevadian (sic?) then you get the mortgage and after 1 year, just negotiate it down 40%.... ;-)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'd be shocked if you had a problem. You might even be able to do a HELOC insted of a regular 30 at an even lower interest rate. I know people who are paying just over 3% on HELOC's now!

I'd talk to your lender or the bank.

Hatt,

JScott has a good point about maybe only being able to tap 70% of value.

So, for my clarity's sake, are you saying that if we made an offer to the bank for $180k on a home for $242k and offered to pay all cash and then instead of refinancing get a heloc? How would we be able to determine the true FMV of the home (according to the bank) before we bought it? ...Would we just write a contingency asking for an appraisal?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I'm confused to.

You need to talk to your bank and see what options they are going to give you, also I don't know how much money you want to pull out. I personaly wouldn't have a problem with keeping 30% in the home, if the bank caps what they will lend to 70%.

If you don't need the money right away you could just get a HELOC for when you do, say you need $50k to secure a deal that comes along. On HELOC usualy you pay less interest.

Your in a bind since your out of the area and don't really know the market. The bank is going to do their own appraisal. Your probably going to have to pay for one of your own before it closes to see what its actualy worth. Flying out their for a few days to look at a bunch of stuff and get a feel for the market would probably be a good idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.