The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What skills should I learn in 2024 ?

Idea threads

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yes, capitalization makes a business bigger than just you and your personal resources immediately. I even define it as getting proper partners that can help you go big faster. You’re better capitalized when you can say yes to bigger business.

Most self employed couldn’t say yes to a million dollars of anything. There’s not enough time or value to sell.

Capitalization deals with that. Big partner with big money selling big orders with a big supply ability.

I view capitalization as resource collection not just investor money.
So how do you find proper partners if you're broke and starting from scratch? Not trying to be sarcastic atm, genuinely serious question.

I found a partner, for example, by writing copywriting (again, no sarcasm, this is for real). Being in the trenches together, helped us become friends.

I found employees and collaborators after having money, and being able to offer something to them in return.

So if you start with nothing, how do you do that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So how do you find proper partners if you're broke and starting from scratch? Not trying to be sarcastic atm, genuinely serious question.

I found a partner, for example, by writing copywriting (again, no sarcasm, this is for real). Being in the trenches together, helped us become friends.

I found employees and collaborators after having money, and being able to offer something to them in return.
You’re almost as bad as cupcake. :rofl:

You know as well as I do, in entrepreneurship the answer to every “how do I do that” question is to just figure it out.

That is literally what separates the genius of an entrepreneur from the stagnant obedience of a lifelong employee.

Lean into that difference. That’s the difference that pays.

Figure it out, or suck.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
I genuinely didn't understand your point and asked you to elaborate, then presented my opinion.
Does that make me arrogant?

Everyone is giving practical advice to progress as an entrepreneur and you're telling a 17 year old to learn "operations" and "capitalization" without elaborating.

You are probably facing limiting beliefs when you say that you "need X to do Y".

It feels like that, that you must become an engineer to own an engineering company. Or that you must become a programmer to create the next tech breakthrough on the "internet".

It's the same limited thinking that most people get stuck with when it comes to money and wealth.

We often think and give advice to others "make the money, then you can start a business".

Questions I have to counter that are simple:
  1. Why does it have to be your money?
  2. Why does it have to be your technical skill?
What if you started thinking "Who, not How?"

I promise you this, you will get the experience you need right after you needed it.

Hello, I am 17 years old and I want to start a business in the next 3-4 years. Since I currently dont have the capital and I go to college, I cannot start a business. Therefore, I want to learn a skill or two that will help me in the future. I would really be delighted if you can suggest some skills to learn that will help me in the future. I thought of learning coding but unfortunately I dont have a good device that supports the coding apps and etc. So please suggest me some skills to learn!

Here are some goals worth striving for:
  • Freedom of Time
  • Freedom of Money
  • Freedom of Relationship
  • Freedom of Purpose

To get there think of evolution. Evolution works by trial and error, not by planning.

The skills you want should emerge not from advice on an Internet forum with bickering members (with all the respect I have for those who do great things in life!). It should come from your own experimentation, trial and error.

When you try to do something but can't we discover missing skills and start filling those gaps. That's why you will get the experience you need right after you needed it.

The point is to learn how to build WEALTH.

What is the difference between money and wealth?
Money is just a means of transporting wealth.

Wealth is not limited and it is creating from nothing and has no bounds.

For example, as software programmer can create a new app that is truly valuable, it takes away nothing from the world, nothing from the society but it makes wealth.

The programmer wealthier because he or she can sell it as a service or a product.

The whole world is wealthier because now more people have access to a useful program that is valuable to everybody. It did not take away anything from anyone.

From that perspective, there is no limit to wealth. It is a way of creating something, inventing something. This concept applies to everything, including high end art which has more of a subjective value.

Your question is very general because you are young and looking for steps to success. It's frustrating to hear that there are no direct steps, just like evolution does't have direct steps.

In summary: start doing things. You will quickly discover missing skills. Fill those gaps. Continue to experiment and gain new skills. What can you do today that would bring value to someone else (help them) so much they'd be willing to pay you?

Edit:

A quote to help you see it another way

You can’t connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards. So, you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well-worn path.
— STEVE JOBS

Last edited:

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
You are probably facing limiting beliefs when you say that you "need X to do Y".

It feels like that, that you must become an engineer to own an engineering company. Or that you must become a programmer to create the next tech breakthrough on the "internet".

It's the same limited thinking that most people get stuck with when it comes to money and wealth.

We often think and give advice to others "make the money, then you can start a business".

Questions I have to counter that are simple:
  1. Why does it have to be your money?
  2. Why does it have to be your technical skill?
What if you started thinking "Who, not How?"

I promise you this, you will get the experience you need right after you needed it.
I'm not sure where you're coming from.
Why do you think I have this limiting belief? I don't

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
You’re almost as bad as cupcake. :rofl:

You know as well as I do, in entrepreneurship the answer to every “how do I do that” question is to just figure it out.

That is literally what separates the genius of an entrepreneur from the stagnant obedience of a lifelong employee.

Lean into that difference. That’s the difference that pays.

Figure it out, or suck.
Honestly? In a certain sense, finding my partners and employees was a matter of luck. I have no clue how it happened, hence I cannot replicate it.

Finding my fiancée was also a matter of luck. I cannot replicate it. (I'm not talking here about the development of the relationship, but the start of it – that's what I can't replicate).

Neither of those responses are helpful though for someone looking for a fiancée or partners/employees.

Let me put the question differently. If somehow all your skills, money and connections were taken away from you, what would you do?

You'd have to do something right?

So what would that be?

Would you make a list of the biggest companies in your city and seek for a job?
Would you open Upwork and apply for a freelancing job?
Would you find a conference about something that interests you and attend?
Would you attend events at the Chamber of Commerce?
Would you read the newspaper looking for opportunities?

What would you do to "figure it out" as you put it?

And I'll be the first to admit that if all my money, know-how and connections were taken away, I'd start freelancing and cry every night, because I know how F*cking hard it is to build from scratch since I haven't figured out the formula for success yet :rofl: As I always say, success is easy... once you've got your start. Getting your start, though, that's a F*cking bitch.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm not sure where you're coming from.
Why do you think I have this limiting belief? I don't
K
Honestly? In a certain sense, finding my partners and employees was a matter of luck. I have no clue how it happened, hence I cannot replicate it.

Finding my fiancée was also a matter of luck. I cannot replicate it. (I'm not talking here about the development of the relationship, but the start of it – that's what I can't replicate).

Neither of those responses are helpful though for someone looking for a fiancée or partners/employees.

Let me put the question differently. If somehow all your skills, money and connections were taken away from you, what would you do?

You'd have to do something right?

So what would that be?

Would you make a list of the biggest companies in your city and seek for a job?
Would you open Upwork and apply for a freelancing job?
Would you find a conference about something that interests you and attend?
Would you attend events at the Chamber of Commerce?
Would you read the newspaper looking for opportunities?

What would you do to "figure it out" as you put it?
That’s a whole new thread and something I’m willing to explore.

That said, it’s not a roadmap, it’s just one way. You said it yourself, you don’t even know how to replicate what you did. Neither do I. I just made the best decisions I could when I made them.

If I started over with nothing I would get likely get different results. I would probably even be in a different industry. Who knows.

But I’ll think of dissertation on what I would do if I was put in an undercover billionaire situation. That said, it will only be helpful as an example. Not a roadmap.

For now, just know that I believe if you want to be an entrepreneur, you should start trying to be one. Don’t talk yourself out of it with a bunch of bullshit limiting cupcake beliefs.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

That said, it’s not a roadmap, it’s just one way. You said it yourself, you don’t even know how to replicate what you did. Neither do I. I just made the best decisions I could when I made them.

If I started over with nothing I would get likely get different results. I would probably even be in a different industry. Who knows.

But I’ll think of dissertation on what I would do if I was put in an undercover billionaire situation.

I'm looking forward to this thread.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

If I started over with nothing I would get totally different results. I would probably be in a totally different industry. Who knows.

But I’ll think of dissertation on what I would do if I was put in an undercover billionaire situation.
Cool, I'm looking forward. If I had to start from scratch again, I'd be super depressed. Like I probably wouldn't leave bed for several days depressed. Because I know how hard it is :rofl:

Imo, success is easy after you find your groove. Finding your groove though... I'm glad I *fingers crossed* will never have to do that again.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 19, 2024
Yes, capitalization makes a business bigger than just you and your personal resources immediately. I even define it as getting proper partners that can help you go big faster. You’re better capitalized when you can say yes to bigger business.

Most self employed couldn’t say yes to a million dollars of anything. There’s not enough time or value to sell.

Capitalization deals with that. Big partner with big money selling big orders with a big supply ability.

I view capitalization as resource collection not just investor money.
I definitely feel triggered by this comment and the one above about self employment. I didn't consciously think about capitalization being a skill at all up until now. My mindset for a few years was black and white - bootstrap everything by yourself vs take investor money. Nothing in between. And I took out investors out of the picture, because of some experiences, so that left bootstrapping as the only option. But after I read your comments I suddenly have many ideas for the gray area in between. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

MarxMelencio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Apr 3, 2024
@Mtaz,

[SNIP]
I would really be delighted if you can suggest some skills to learn that will help me in the future.
[/SNIP]

;) The ability to design rational thought experiments.
That's the most useful skill that I learned throughout the years for future-proofing anything.

:) I continue to get great value in using that to iteratively deconstruct, customize, test, tweak, scale, and morph any concept.
In any field. For any task. In any conditional situation.

** For that skill to be useful, I continue to invest the rarest, most valuable commodity of all = Time.

;) I mean, think about it.
Just by looking at an arbitrary model, you'll be able to understand how it works.
** And customize it to best suit a different use case. In a different field. To hit different targets.

:) That's any model. For example:
Any business model. Any sales strategy. Any marketing technique. Any conversion tactic.

;) And there's no better way to learn that skill than to practice. Here's what I do:
Imagine a goal. Imagine solutions to achieve that goal. Imagine ways to tailor-fit 'em for a particular starting point.
** Think of problems to solve along the way. Think of strategies to avoid or reduce negative impact.
** Visualize the deployment of scaling methods. Visualize the execution of expansion plans.
And iteratively run it all in your mind. While creatively changing fields, goals, and use cases.

:) Best of luck!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
@Mtaz,

;) The ability to design rational thought experiments.
That's the most useful skill that I learned throughout the years for future-proofing anything.

:) I continue to get great value in using that to iteratively deconstruct, customize, test, tweak, scale, and morph any concept.
In any field. For any task. In any conditional situation.

** For that skill to be useful, I continue to invest the rarest, most valuable commodity of all = Time.

;) I mean, think about it.
Just by looking at an arbitrary model, you'll be able to understand how it works.
** And customize it to best suit a different use case. In a different field. To hit different targets.

:) That's any model. For example:
Any business model. Any sales strategy. Any marketing technique. Any conversion tactic.

;) And there's no better way to learn that skill than to practice. Here's what I do:
Imagine a goal. Imagine solutions to achieve that goal. Imagine ways to tailor-fit 'em for a particular starting point.
** Think of problems to solve along the way. Think of strategies to avoid or reduce negative impact.
** Visualize the deployment of scaling methods. Visualize the execution of expansion plans.
And iteratively run it all in your mind. While creatively changing fields, goals, and use cases.

:) Best of luck!
This is brilliant advice! :gold:

Some of the best I’ve read on the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.