The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Optional Extra Is Your Business Missing?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Yesterday was a typical Bank Holiday Monday in London yesterday, it was wet and windy, interspersed with some rays of sunshine. As I walked back along my road, from my local pitch and putt golf course, feet wet, belly empty and mind free, I was reminded of a conversation I had last summer.

The memory led me to make an oblique connection with my fledgling business, which got me thinking about the connection between opportunity and necessity.

What triggered the memory was the sight of a Suzuki Smart car, without any windows, and soaking wet seats.

You see, last summer, which as I remember was a particularly pleasant one by English standards, I was playing out in front of my house with my six year old daughter and the ten year old son of my downstairs neighbour.

I was wowing them with the fact that I could still do an "ollie" on a skateboard and various other (half) tricks. The looks on their faces told me that they were suitably impressed that a 44 year old man could still operate a skateboard without breaking his neck and several other bones in his body.

As the children were watching the show, up pulled a young man in his 20s in his Suzuki Smart car. We were all suitably impressed at just how small the thing was. I started questioning him about various aspects of the car, from what it felt like to drive, to whether it was legal to take it on a motorway (freeway).

The last question I asked, was where he kept the windows, and how he put them on. He looked at me with an expression that I couldn't quite interpret, but left me with an impression that I shouldn't push it further.

He said; "The windows were an optional extra".

Of course I was incredulous that windows, which have been an essential part of the motorcar for the best part of a century now, were something that a car maker felt that they could now charge extra for.

Suzuki_smart_car.jpg

I was just about to point out to him that not having windows in a car, in a country that could boast rain as a national pastime was perhaps a bit shortsighted. However, it was then that I interpreted the earlier look on his face as that of a person who had made a grave mistake, and so decided to not bring attention to what he already knew.

So as I walked past his not-so-smart car yesterday, with waterlogged seats that were surely going mouldy by now, it got me wondering if there were any essential things, disguised as "optional extras", that I had ignored in my business.

I felt that recently the dilemma I had faced as to whether to ship by sea or air, my first products was a similar quandary. In the end I saved money by boating some over and flying the rest, simply because I realised I couldn't afford to wait 2 months to start selling. So I paid the "optional extra" and got those widgets onto a plane.

So my question is to you; both experienced and inexperienced; in the hope of helping others like me who are just starting out, and may not realise that something that appears to save money is in fact risking giving our ventures mouldy seats in the future.

What crucial optional extras have you bought or ignored in your business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
First things first... make sure you get the super thick business cards (most important optional upgrade in business) with all the trimmings before you even THINK about putting in that first order with china!!!

(joking, ofc)

I think there is a fine line in terms of using 'optional extras' in your biz. I mean you can EASILY go OTT with all the trimmings, the nicest office, with the expensive furniture to really impress all your clients etc etc. Do they really care? Or would they rather you solved their problems really well?

I think spending habits in your personal life will transition to how you go about spending within your business. Another example is a logo. Often I will start with a simple text logo or something from fiverr. Others won't even start a biz without dropping £1000s on one.

----

Short story time: Whilst working a minimum wage slowlane job a few years ago I was speaking with a colleague about a new business she was starting with her husband. It was a B&M clothing store (that sold skate/surf type gear). She was super excited - saw it as her opportunity to stop working for minimum wage and finally be her own boss.

Being the curious guy that I am I asked what had stopped her doing this before, or why she was waiting until now to do it.

She replied that her relative had just died and she was being left £30k and this was the perfect money she needed for the WEBSITE, LOGO and BRANDING ETC (yes the website, not even an e-commerce store...)

She had already dropped the whole £30k. On these 'optional extras' (Obviously could have been done with wordpress (£0) and fiverr (£20 max). So what cost £30,000, could have cost £20 (or a limited offer special price of £695 - if she mentioned it to me before she pulled that £30k trigger ;))

Since she had already dropped the cash I lost the balls to even break her heart and tell her the error of her ways (especially considering the source of the cash). Not to mention the B&M - no value add - no scale - "follow your passion" business....... that failed in under 12 months...

----

In the end I think you naturally find a balance. Be willing to spend and spend big if the 'return' is there. When I say return I mean things that at the end of the day result in more client satisfaction. Ideally look for leveraged opportunities spending £20 to generate £400 (Your own hired customer support e.g. through live chat/phone) value in customer emotion/feeling/satisfaction. Rather than £20 for £25 (pens, keychains and magnets :bored:, pls no).

I think we all know deep down whether we are spending for our ego, or we are spending in terms of substantially improving the customer experience.

TLDR; Spend on optional extras with the highest leverage that result in a sizeable increase in customer satisfaction (whatever that means to you in your industry).

Last edited:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
a similar take on that is overlooking basic features about your prod/service that might be standard or a given to YOU that you may take for granted, but that you can promote to lesser educated consumers. An example is in candle business. you get all these claims about "lead free" wicks. Whipping consumers up into a frenzy...gee..."do you have lead free wicks?" well wicks have been lead free for decades and banned for many years.

It's like selling your bottled water as "fat free!!!"

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
a similar take on that is overlooking basic features about your prod/service that might be standard or a given to YOU that you may take for granted, but that you can promote to lesser educated consumers. An example is in candle business. you get all these claims about "lead free" wicks. Whipping consumers up into a frenzy...gee..."do you have lead free wicks?" well wicks have been lead free for decades and banned for many years.

It's like selling your bottled water as "fat free!!!"

Or like the "hormone free" labeling on poultry products in the USA...

...even though hormone use in poultry is illegal, so ALL poultry is hormone free.

Not sure I like where this thread is going.

(Oh, and the Twizy falls under motorcycle laws, not automobile laws, hence the windows are extra)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Not sure I like where this thread is going.

Yeah I think I may have titled it incorrectly. I was trying to say, what are the things that at first seem like optional extras but are actually crucial to your business that we should be looking out for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.