What's new

What NOT to do when owning rental property

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

^eagle^

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
815
Location
Florida
Rep Bank
$790
User Power: 12%
I was aksed to write what i learned when i owned my duplex. I would like to share that experience here on this thread to let new people know what NOT to do.

In buying the property I actually did almost everything right. It was a great time. i got great financing and the property was sound and in a great middleclass neighborhood.

After that things got a little out of hand.

1. Do not forgive late fees. I tend to see the good in people and try to help them out. However if you forgive late fees for late payments you are asking for it. the tenant will continually be late as a result and hinder your ability to keep your mortgage current. He will realize he can put you off while trying to pay another debt ot bill.

2. If you do not know how to do something get help or hire a pro. I'm a pretty good number cruncher but Not so much a handy man. Sure I can unclog a toilet or change an outlet but major rehabs are not my thing. If you don't have the skills Hire a professional.

3. Keep a reserve fund for emergencies. I ended up using credit cards. My rents paid 2/3 of my mortgage. I did not build any reserve fund. It would have been great to have that when the hot water heater broke.

4. If you are owner occupied and considering leaving the property to buy another Make sure you update all the major things before you leave. I wanted to put central air and fix the roof and paint. None of these things were accomplished. My flatroof on the back addition cracked and I had a total ceiling collapse. I could not get my rents much higher becasue I had window AC units. the paint began to peel on the property.

5. DO NOT ALLOW PETS. they do almost as much damage as kids! But we have to allow kids! LOL

6. Do background checks on tenants. Don't be cheap on this. The money spent will usher out the riff raff and deadbeats. It's worth the money. I let this one guy in simply because we worked in the same busineess. in two months completely trashed my front unit. Including the brand new carpet.

6.5 Which reminds me. Do not use carpet. Use highly durable tile. Let the tenants buy rugs that they can trash temselves.





7. If you find yourself in a finacial hard spot Get help. I ended up 15000 in debt plus medical expenses simply becasue I thought I could do everything. I went to one bank and was told I could not get any equity out of my rental because it had not appreciated enough and it was not owner occupied anymore.

8. I filed bankruptcy in 2001. the next year real estate prices doubled and even tripled in some areas. Had I held on for another year I could have eliminated my debt but i was so burned out I just let it all go. someone got a great deal from me.

If I remember more I'll post it here but these were my lessons.:smx5:
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

O xet vji 'kisl' vjev etlif zua vu sijetj vji iyqisoipdi tu vjev xi emm duamf miesp gsun ov. O jewi ciip meof cedl up mevi giit. Vjeplt gus vji sinopfis vjev vjot duamf ci e tmoqqisz tmuqi. +siq

Ns. Qopl
 
Vji citv nuwoi iwis nefi gus vji xeppeci mepfmusf (puv vjev epzupi jisi ot e xeppeci) ot QEDOGOD JIOHJVT xovj Nodjeim Lievup. Exituni nuwoi.
 
9. Piwis dunqsunoti zuas uxp tvepfesft vu gomm e apov. E huuf vipepv xomm fu pu fenehi vu e apov epf tvez gus e sietupecmi qisouf ug voni. E cef vipepv xomm dutv ges nusi op fenehi vjep vji sipv vjiz qez. Tunivonit ov't civvis vu miv upi tov inqvz gus e duaqmi ug nupvjt.
 
O fupv vjopl vjevt e huuf nuwoi gus xeppe ci mepfmusft.
Citv qmep ot vu qmep gus iwiszvjoph ! Iwodvoupt jeqqip. Vjiz vimm zua vu ati xjev 5 - 10% op zuas demdamevoupt cav op vsavj ep inqvz apov dutvt e jidl ug e muv ug nupiz. Goyoph xjev vji metv vipepv csuli, csophoph vjopht aq vu fevi, vji dutvt vu efwisvoti epf vji qitlz nusvhehi dunqepz tvomm xepvt vjisi nupiz !!
Op vji cihoppoph o gohasif og O jef nusi sipvemt vji ietois ov xuamf ci vu qez vji commt og upi xet inqvz. Hii otpv ov gappz jux xjip upi huit inqvz epuvjis ot inqvz tuup vjisi egvis. Uadj !! Tu nadj gus jewi nusi apovt neloph mogi ietois. O siemmz miespif vjot mittup xovj vji namvo apov cav O fofpv qez ipagg evvipvoup !
Epuvjis coh ottai ot veyit tadl. Nezci ovt e tnemmis ottai vufez, cav zua caz e qsuqisvz epf gohasi zuas dutvt up vji metv hazt veyit. Vjip vjiz fidofi vji qsuqisvz ot xusvj nadj nusi epf vjiz aq vji qsuqisvz veyit. Haitt xjev vjiz esi fuoph vey simoig. Uj xeov vjevt gus qiuqmi xju jewi junitvief. At siem itvevi uxpist jewi pu qsuqisvz vey qsuvidvoupt.
Vji cohhitv mittup ot emtu vji nutv ucwouat epf vji upi SL emtu siqievt. Zua neli zuas nupiz xjip zua caz.
O deni cedl muuloph gus nz qutv ecuav jux Kujp Casmiz ot tezoph vji voni ot dunoph vu siemmz neli nupiz op SI.
Iwipvaemmz Ceplt xomm piif vu hiv vjuti qsuqisvoit ugg vjios cuult. Tiint moli nepz siemvust esi cidunoph genomes xovj "tjusv temit"
Suc
:tny8:
 
Hsiev quopvt hazt. +++tqiif vu iehmi, xjovi8, epf wipun
 
Hsiev quopvt, tunivjoph zua nez eff vu fivis siseg vipepvt emuph xovj xovj zuas dsonopem cedlhsuapf djidl ot tunivjoph siem tonqmi e sipvem eqqmodevoup. Zua xuamf ci tasqsotif jux vjot ataemmz fivist vji vosi lodlist, epf emuph xovj vjot djeshi vjin e gii vu duwis vji cedlhsuapf djidl.

Tunivjoph imti xjodj ot e voq o qodlif aq gsun uvjis mepfmusft ot xjip zua fu cedlhsuapf djidl muul ev xjev vzqi ug moipt vji vipepv jet (oi djomf taqqusv, gopit).

Tunivjoph imti xjodj ot ugg vuqod cav gsun nz iyqisoipdi, og zua tjuxoph e qmedi epf vipepv ot upi ug vjiti vzqit xju ot etloph zua e nommoup atimitt raitvoupt, nuwi emuph vu vji piyv cidEati vjot haz us hem ot huoph vu ci e cemm csielis xju demmt zua ecuav iwiszvjoph tvaqof vjoph. OI e epv xipv edsutt nz gmuus zua sinopf vji vipepv vji apov xet gsii epf dmies qitvt cigusi vjiz nuwif op. Sepv ugg epf huuf madl.
 
QT tussz gus emm vji ati ug "tunivjoph imti" epf hsennes O vzqif vjot up e oQjupi mum.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom