The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What margins and ratios do you use for product sales?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Daytraderz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 11, 2016
Virginia
Hey Fastlaners,

I have been MIA for a minute, finishing up school, getting my company going, making connections. I'll make an update post later, but for now, to the point!

I have two products. One costs $9.75 (a t-shirt) and the other costs $12.50 (a patented product). I am having some problems in my head calculating the finances out for everything and was hoping my fellow entrepreneurs could steer me in the right direction... Here's my questions.
1. What profit margins do you look for?
2. How do I calculate the real price of my product (including taxes, COGs, if i'm missing another one let me know)
3. Do you look for any other ratios/margins that I am not?

Lastly, I have an idea to incorporate my artists for the shirts in advertising/sales... I was thinking about giving him a base fee for each shirt sold as he did the work for free (what would be fair for this, I am thinking 10%), and then upping his return if he directly sells a shirt and/or the patented product.

My biggest issue in my head, and yes i've done my own research, is how can I have this set-up so he isn't an employee? I have thought about doing a work-for-hire contract but am hoping there is a better way to go about this (maybe under the table? Not that I would eeeeevvvvvveeeerrr do this...)

Thanks friends

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
You could possibly structure your deal with the artists as a consulting/marketing agreement where they get a fixed amount plus some additional commission/royalty based on direct sales. Talk to a CPA/Lawyer on that one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.