The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what kind of business education is needed?

20art

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 23, 2008
San Bernardino, CA
I'm wondering if you need to go to college if you want to run a small business or buy an existing one. The reason for asking is because I'm looking into what it takes to run something like a hookah lounge. Do people just go out and borrow the money to, lets say, buy out an existing business without experience or college education? I mean can you just do it with resources of internet and books? Thank you for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm wondering if you need to go to college if you want to run a small business or buy an existing one.

No you don't. Sure it would help (my marketing degree helped me get a better handle on marketing tactics) but it isn't required. Don't let a lack of college degree stop you. I'm sure if you were to own a dental practice it would help to have a dental degree but even that, I don't think is required (assuming you aren't doing the dental work and hired the dentists.)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Yup... what is it MJ.... toilet university?

Learn from those that have experienced it.
Read books on the topics you need to learn about.

But mostly, learn my doing. Experience and making mistakes and trial and error are your best teachers.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'm wondering if you need to go to college if you want to run a small business or buy an existing one. The reason for asking is because I'm looking into what it takes to run something like a hookah lounge. Do people just go out and borrow the money to, lets say, buy out an existing business without experience or college education? I mean can you just do it with resources of internet and books? Thank you for reading.

If you want to learn how to run a business, work in the industry. Meaning, if you want to learn the ins and outs of running a hookah lounge, go work at a hookah lounge for about 3 months.

If you want to learn how to own a business post your questions here or to your local SBDC (most often free or very low cost for classes.)

...You don't need an MBA to run a business--as a matter of fact I would venture to say that most people who have MBAs work for a business, not own one.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
The best AS I ever got came from here.

My AA is coming from (here) + (action).

Wait till you here about the Masters.

Note- this program is not offered at any institutions.

(I do have years of formal education, I just chose to drop out)

JBrown

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2009
You're your own college. Life and the real world is your college.

Ive heard many established entrepreneurs say that the things they've learned out DOING IT in the real world could never be taught from any book or professor

Thats the great thing about entrepreneurship. Nothing can completely stop you from becoming as large as you want. Many of the most successful entrepreneurs in history were highschool dropouts

The only thing stopping you is you. "You can do anything you put your mind to" As cheesy and cliche as it sounds, its true in every sense

Get out there and start doing it. Find what you would like to do, research it and educate yourself to no end and you can do it. Everything you need is right at your fingertips

Youve got this man!!

JBrown

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2009
...You don't need an MBA to run a business--as a matter of fact I would venture to say that most people who have MBAs work for a business, not own one.

Exactly!

Degrees and diplomas really become into play when you want to work for somebody else............. screw that

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I built my last company to nearly 10m with a high school degree

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
The short answer is "no".

If you have the internet, local libraries within a five mile radius, and/or a bookstore within the same radius, there is no reason why you should be able to build a foundation on how to start a business from scratch or learn how to acquire an existing business.

Self taught individuals have the propensity to be the most successful when it comes to creating and/or turning around businesses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.