The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your Why Not?

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Another thread is running asking what is your why? It caused me to reflect on what my why not is. In other words, what am I allowing to hold me back, and what can I do to work around it. I am not looking for excuses here, but causes. For clarity let me give an example-
Excuse: I am not investing in R.E. becuase I have no money.
Cause: I have chosen to not find ways to invest in R.E. without money.

For me-
I have chosen to value my time with my kids and my wifes sanity more than building my empire. 4 kids 4 and under makes for crazy times, and I do not wish to miss them. I am can and will be successful in R.E. but will not give up my time for the rehab portion.

Work around- partner with someone. I have tried twice, both times, I ended up having to put many hours in because I chose the wrong partners. Another option would be to find contractors, still would be recquired to run the show.

Solution- will attempt partner one more time, if not successful, wait 3 year till my boy is 7 and can paint, and bring him along. Three years is an easy sacrifice to make for the sake of my kids.

So, what is your why not, or what is more important to you than financial freedom, that you are unwilling to sacrifice it, and how can you work around it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
kurtyordy-

We're first time parents, and hope to have another soon.

ALL of the parents I've spoken to that are successful REIs tell us "DON'T wait. Spend each and every moment you can with your kids ('cause if you lose this time, you never get it back)".

But they ALL attributed their RE success with moving ahead, even when they were buried in diapers.

They figured out ways to do it-- only some of them via partnering, BTW. Many had family members--or even Nannies-- take care of their kids for part of the time.

Here's the thing: In some parts of the country, the next 3-4 years will be a BUYER's market. And interest rates are historically low, making some of these places deals if you buy right.

So while I don't have 4 kids, I still do plan on moving forward, each and every day, with our PLAN.

Most times, I get very little sleep (3-5 hrs tops, I typically have the night shift). But if that's what it takes to raise a family and keep up with my goals, that's what I'm gonna do. :)

Otherwise, according to my fellow REI parents, I'm going to be sending my kids off to college and saying, "OK, NOW I finally have time for REI!" :rolleyes:

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Thanks Russ, I guess my point is that I am making that more important, I am making that choice right now. I am working on creating scenarios that work around that choice, but right now, that one cannot be violated. Until the boy is old enough to work with me on it, then I can consider it parenting.

I am just curious what choices others are allowing to hold themselves back, and what they are doing to work around them. I firmly believe we all can be in the fastlane. But I am choosing to allow this one aspect of my life to reign me in for the time being.

I guess the better question is, what do you value more than success, and how can you keep that value and still be successfull?

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
Spend each and every moment you can with your kids ('cause if you lose this time, you never get it back)".
I took my soon to be 13 year old in for his sports physical today. As we sat in the exam room, waiting for his doctor/pediatrician to come in, my mind raced back to bringing him to that same room as a newborn! The years truly zoom by.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.