The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What High paid Skill is worth learning in 2020?

MakeMeRich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 20, 2020
Germany
I'm more than a little bit put off by the name you've chosen. No one is going to "make" you anything. You are going to create your life from the way you see it, and by your hard work, coupled with your education, that you put into it. Your life belongs to you and so do your results.

Why aren't you working while you are still in school? You could be building a business as a side gig, practicing your business skills, and saving your money for when you know better what you want to do. You could tutor other students -- mow lawns -- clean swimming pools -- working for a business that interests you -- building web sites -- volunteer your time at a charity... Do something. Losers sit around on their piety pots, doing nothing, while they throw ashes on their heads. You don't sound like a loser -- just a late bloomer who is having trouble getting started.

(Yes, you are still young, but some of us went to work when we were a lot younger than you are -- without your advantages and parental support. Say thank you, Mom.)

Ask yourself, how do you know what you want to do if you have done nothing in that field? Looking at something from the outside is sure different from standing neck-deep in the trenches. Here's an example: Owning a restaurant sounds really sexy until you realize that you must flip the hamburgers when your line cook doesn't show up. And who is going to clean the toilets and scrub away the grease under the grill hood? UG! Very sexy work!

Oh, and a footnote here -- people hate to do what they aren't good at doing. So when you first start and you fumble around, know that you are going to HATE that activity. You only get good at doing anything IF you put in hours and hours of mindful practice to get better at it. Then you can grow to love it.

In my mind "selling" is where it's at in the skill set game. Learn your "people" skills.
Thanks for your advice and my Name is based on making my mind rich with ideas, motivation. Richness is not defined in money in my eyes just by the right mindset .

I am working at the moment as a driver for a small restaurant but only for 450€ per month
(law etc.)
I’am just keeping/investing that money to find myself and learn more stuf

my focus is not to have something like a restaurant/something local I am not the biggest fan from that it’s just like having a Job and without the leverage I am looking for.

Could you please define me what you mean with „people“ skill?

And have a nice day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks for your advice and my Name is based on making my mind rich with ideas, motivation. Richness is not defined in money in my eyes just by the right mindset .

I am working at the moment as a driver for a small restaurant but only for 450€ per month
(law etc.)
I’am just keeping/investing that money to find myself and learn more stuf

my focus is not to have something like a restaurant/something local I am not the biggest fan from that it’s just like having a Job and without the leverage I am looking for.

Could you please define me what you mean with „people“ skill?

And have a nice day.
People judge you within seconds of meeting you. You can learn to make the most of those few seconds. "People skills" is how you deal with others. It's learning how others think and how to get them on your side. It's understanding human nature. It's having good manners and pleasing ways. It's learning to create an aura of charisma -- likeability. You want people to like you and trust you. You want to have the social skills to get along with just about everyone around you. You should learn to enter different communities and groups of people gaining welcoming acceptance.

MakeMeRich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 20, 2020
Germany
People judge you within seconds of meeting you. You can learn to make the most of those few seconds. "People skills" is how you deal with others. It's learning how others think and how to get them on your side. It's understanding human nature. It's having good manners and pleasing ways. It's learning to create an aura of charisma -- likeability. You want people to like you and trust you. You want to have the social skills to get along with just about everyone around you. You should learn to enter different communities and groups of people gaining welcoming acceptance.
That sounds really interesting could you maybe recommend me some books about it? I would like to give them a read!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
That sounds really interesting could you maybe recommend me some books about it? I would like to give them a read!
There's a ton of books, classes, and videos on how to approach people. Usually, this information is coupled with selling techniques.

One of my favorite studies in this field is in behavior modification for both people and animals. I became interested in this subject when I was a kid ( and that was a long time ago). It started with a class my father took that included the subject of Skinner's Rat theories. His prof presented the information, but he didn't believe in Skinner's findings. At that time, these were all new ideas. This professor constantly paced around the classroom while he lectured. He was driving his students nuts. Dad gave me weekly reports on the class' experiment. Every time the prof left the front of the classroom, they all immediately put their pencils down and stopped taking notes. By the end of the semester, the prof stayed in the front part of the classroom all the time. He had no idea that he had been silently trained through Skinner's techniques. I was fascinated. I read everything that I could find at our library and books that they could order for me. It was way before we had computers or the internet, so it was so harder to obtain information.

From that beginning, I became interested in psychology and the neurosciences. With the advances in medicine, and in imaging, they are able to see the physical changes in the human brain under different stresses and situations. And then they can couple that knowledge with human behavior and mental health. A lot of our behaviors are colored by our different cultures. What is acceptable in one is pure poison in another. You've got to know the rules.

I'm probably telling you more than you want to know. My study of behavior and the human race has given me a leg up on business, marketing, and selling skills. But, it is something you can think about. And you can try out some of the different techniques on strangers to see their reactions. You can learn what works for you when you meet people. It might be worth your time to make your own study of the subject.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
This isn't specific advice, but I know two guys in Sweden who had a podcast positing answers to the core tenets of your OP: Future Skills Podcast - Get the business and career skills you need to future-proof yourself.

It's run by https://twitter.com/turemasing (ex hedgefund manager) and https://www.twitter.com/ludvigsgm (savant informatics guy).

I think their general rule is to specialize - if you have a propensity towards a particular industry/endeavour, you should be looking to "niche down" and get to the core of where "that industry" is headed. For example, they created the following:

I think the bigger problem you're facing is similar to most 20-year olds.

You're old enough to want to break the shackles, but too young to make a go of it. My advice is to look at the first response you received (as a means to cultivate a spiritual base) and then observe how "the players" are making money.

Most markets are driven by something beyond the "mechanics" of what you see. For example "eCommerce" is not a means to make money. It's an advertising mechanism. The money is made on the traffic (+ product positioning).

Edit: there's also a guy I met when I was in the office pictured in my profile picture, who's now doing £1m/month revenue with Premium Pendants + Chains #CRAFTDtoLast | CRAFTD London. His Twitter is http://www.twitter.com/thedannybuck - would recommend reaching out to him as he's highly amenable. I don't think he likes me much so probably best not to mention that I sent you.

Last edited:

jeffrost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 30, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Hey Guys,

I am a 20 yo Student based in Germany who wants to build a Business and escape the Slowlane and the majority ..
And some say this is a Western interpretation of Ikigai. Another perspective from ikigaitribe.com "Ikigai is a greatly misunderstood concept that millions of people believe involves doing something that you love, that the you are good at, that the world needs and that you can be paid for. This is not Ikigai."
Here is my simplified worksheet

Attachments

• Ikigai-Worksheet.docx
    16.2 KB · Views: 19

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
All parents are like that, when I was your age, they were telling me the same things, and I was saying exactly what you're saying.

You do your thing, and your mother does her thing. If she chooses to be depressed, that is her choice. Or she could choose to try and help you if she cares about you. She too has a choice, and you can't make it for her or be responsible for it. If she chooses to be depressed, then so be it.

Do you want to learn a skill that will ensure that you can always be independent and not need to be employed? If so, forget sales. Learn coding. You'll be learning sales as you try to sell your services. Learning sales, by the way, is kind of bullshit unless you want to become a salesman. Does anyone here know any business owner who sells like a salesman? Because I certainly don't. Not when the business owner can play with his offers, can offer any guarantee he wants, can create any packages he wants, can present the offers any way he wants... why would he bother with "Oh, what questions should I ask this guy?" or "How do I build and use a CRM for my pipeline?"etc.

If the technical aspects are not your forte, then learn copywriting or direct response marketing (which is what I did, even though my technical skills are fantastic, and I can code better than some of the developers whom I've hired). Direct response will teach you about becoming customer obsessed - obsessed to discover what the customer already wants to buy, and then providing it to him. Direct response teaches you all about this research.

OR

Do you want to own a business? If you want to own a business, learn to be the boss. Don't make the mistake I made, to learn a trade first, and then go build a business around it. f*ck that. Go straight to being the boss. Go straight to thinking like the boss. To solving problems with people, not with your skills. When the boss has a problem, he doesn't solve it himself. He goes to find the motherfcker who can solve it for him.

The boss doesn't ask "How can I solve this problem?".

He asks...

"Who can I find to solve this problem for me?"

That's the boss mindset.

Are you kidding me? Mark Zuckerberg was a billionaire by age 23 and you're asking this guy to spend 5-8 years to learn a skill and only THEN leverage it into a business? :wideyed: Yeah, he should do that if he wants to find himself 30 years old, great at a skill, and without a business.
Mark has been creating applications in his teenage years and he wont be posting the qn here.

And his parents have ultra-deep pockets to keep him permanently trying for sure.

In addition to popular answer like sales and programming, one skill that could make a living is photography.

Mohammed ED-DAHB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 11, 2020
Morocco
Hey I wish you all the lucks in Morocco, I just started learning Coding and as soon as I make Money with it before I get my Diplom I will drop out.
Thanks man i appreciate it!
Good luck to you too!

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Mark has been creating applications in his teenage years and he wont be posting the qn here.

And his parents have ultra-deep pockets to keep him permanently trying for sure.

In addition to popular answer like sales and programming, one skill that could make a living is photography.

A wedding photographer typically charges 1500-6000 USD per wedding but most photographers are horrendous at sales/marketing/working attitude. There is a reason to that though: They learned the art through passion to art and usually didnt go into it for the money. The mistake is to think that the skill is easily learned

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
A wedding photographer typically charges 1500-6000 USD per wedding but most photographers are horrendous at sales/marketing/working attitude. There is a reason to that though: They learned the art through passion to art and usually didnt go into it for the money. The mistake is to think that the skill is easily learned
Following one's passion does NOT equal a viable business. A lot of younger people are going to learn that lesson the hard way. They have been sold a false promise that has no reality out there in that tough-love world. They are completed blown away that no in the business world cares how they feel about just about anything. The only that counts is what results that they can, and then do, actually produce. Their boss is NOT their mom!

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Idk if it has been mentioned yet since there's a lot to read...but lead generation is still a very valuable skill. Small businesses always need a way to get consistent leads.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.