Hi!
For a long time, I've used a pen and paper. This is the best system yet. However, paper can get lost, it's hard to reorganize and you need several pieces of paper to create actual projects.
So I've moved towards software / mobile apps.
Here is what I've used so far:
->ToDo Matrix Professional for BlackBerry (I think $5/month)
The most potent out of all. It looks like an old Norton Commander platform but it allows you to track your tasks, goals, projects, your team, your objectives, your contexts.
The only downside is that it's too complicated. There are too many options and you don't know which to use first.
-> Slick Tasks for Blackberry ($14)
This is what I'm using now.
You can create tasks and projects. You can change the color, bold, use italic, etc. You can use unlimited subprojects. You can even add a phone number associated to that project.
The easiest and best mobile productivity app ever (for me). You can get started right away but it's complex enough to be used as a project management tool.
-> GoalScape ($120 or about $60/6 months)
Visual goal setting. Good, but it gets boring after a while. I suggest you get a subscription, especially for brainstorming projects. Works online in the cloud or offline. It is based of the Adobe AIR platform.
-> Microsoft Outlook
I've never realized how to use this to it's full potential. So I've just resumed back to Google Mail.
-> Google Calendar
Again, a great piece of software which I've never used constantly. Comes with free SMS reminders. It's interesting to get an SMS reminding you about your meeting but it gets old fast.
-> Evernote
My primary text editor and note gatherer. I'm using the premium version, but the free version is good enough for anybody.
-> LifeTick
This was an impulse buy. It had cost me about $20. Not much to say about it. It allows you to set goals, set tasks, write a journal, set values and that's all. I've used it only once or twice.
-> Penzu
This is my diary. It is similar to Google Docs (document side) and I've been using it for a while. I'm using it mostly for notes and thoughts about project. I'm still thinking Evernote is better.
-> Vlingo
Similar to SIRI from the iPhone. It's not very accurate and you can't do much. My English isn't perfect, but I've even tried it with an NBC recording. For small tasks like "Search Google" or "Wikipedia" it works great. For creating emails ... not even close to SIRI. You can get the free version for the BB, don't bother paying for it unless you have a very good English accent.
-> Puzzed
Timer for Blackberry. This application works as a normal alarm clock, with a twist. When it rings, you'll get some simple math equations to solve. If you don't solve them, you can't stop it. If you pull the battery, it will resume when you'll turn the phone back on. Works every time.
-> BaseCamp
At $24/month it's useful. However, since most of my clients have no interest in Basecamp, I've stopped paying it.
-> MindJet Manager 8
For some people, mind maps work great. Not for me. If you are a mind-mapping person, then it will work for you. However, I hate them.
I think these are all. I've got a few apps on my iPod touch (free), but I haven't actually used them.
Right now, my entire productivity system consists of:
-> gMail.
-> Penzu
-> Evernote
-> Slick Tasks
I'm also using sometime Drive Safe in order to get my emails read. I've never tried a text to speech translator for larger documents, but it works fine for emails and short memos.
Razvan
PS: What I've tried and abandoned quickly:
ZOHO suite
-> It is awesome but it's just not for me. There are too many options. When I'll have a sales team for IBM, I'll use ZOHO. For a small business owner or freelancer, it's just too much.
-> GoalPro 2011. I've used version 7 for a long time. 2011 is just too plain stupid. Buy version 7 if you can.
-> ACT!. ACT is an premier CRM (Customer relationship manager). While I can't argue that it's the market leader and it's the most powerful and stable out of all, I've never managed to use it to it's full capacity. Get the trial and test it for yourself.
-> A white board. Some people get just fine with a white board. I've had one in every work location. I've never managed to use it as something more than a note-holder.
-> GTD. Now, a few million people praise GTD. GTD is the godfather of all productivity systems. However, I've never managed to work with it. The actual review, implementation, optimization takes more time than the tasks themselves.
Plus, with a few exceptions, my tasks remain the same. I'm checking mail once a day, I have everything grouped in projects and I'm using a logical outline to them. So, while GTD may be more efficient than hiring a personal secretary, I've never fully implemented it.
(I've read GTD and listened to one audio course. I've also invested about $300 in the required materials, including a digital labeling machine. It now sits in the closet, gathering dust).
For a long time, I've used a pen and paper. This is the best system yet. However, paper can get lost, it's hard to reorganize and you need several pieces of paper to create actual projects.
So I've moved towards software / mobile apps.
Here is what I've used so far:
->ToDo Matrix Professional for BlackBerry (I think $5/month)
The most potent out of all. It looks like an old Norton Commander platform but it allows you to track your tasks, goals, projects, your team, your objectives, your contexts.
The only downside is that it's too complicated. There are too many options and you don't know which to use first.
-> Slick Tasks for Blackberry ($14)
This is what I'm using now.
You can create tasks and projects. You can change the color, bold, use italic, etc. You can use unlimited subprojects. You can even add a phone number associated to that project.
The easiest and best mobile productivity app ever (for me). You can get started right away but it's complex enough to be used as a project management tool.
-> GoalScape ($120 or about $60/6 months)
Visual goal setting. Good, but it gets boring after a while. I suggest you get a subscription, especially for brainstorming projects. Works online in the cloud or offline. It is based of the Adobe AIR platform.
-> Microsoft Outlook
I've never realized how to use this to it's full potential. So I've just resumed back to Google Mail.
-> Google Calendar
Again, a great piece of software which I've never used constantly. Comes with free SMS reminders. It's interesting to get an SMS reminding you about your meeting but it gets old fast.
-> Evernote
My primary text editor and note gatherer. I'm using the premium version, but the free version is good enough for anybody.
-> LifeTick
This was an impulse buy. It had cost me about $20. Not much to say about it. It allows you to set goals, set tasks, write a journal, set values and that's all. I've used it only once or twice.
-> Penzu
This is my diary. It is similar to Google Docs (document side) and I've been using it for a while. I'm using it mostly for notes and thoughts about project. I'm still thinking Evernote is better.
-> Vlingo
Similar to SIRI from the iPhone. It's not very accurate and you can't do much. My English isn't perfect, but I've even tried it with an NBC recording. For small tasks like "Search Google" or "Wikipedia" it works great. For creating emails ... not even close to SIRI. You can get the free version for the BB, don't bother paying for it unless you have a very good English accent.
-> Puzzed
Timer for Blackberry. This application works as a normal alarm clock, with a twist. When it rings, you'll get some simple math equations to solve. If you don't solve them, you can't stop it. If you pull the battery, it will resume when you'll turn the phone back on. Works every time.
-> BaseCamp
At $24/month it's useful. However, since most of my clients have no interest in Basecamp, I've stopped paying it.
-> MindJet Manager 8
For some people, mind maps work great. Not for me. If you are a mind-mapping person, then it will work for you. However, I hate them.
I think these are all. I've got a few apps on my iPod touch (free), but I haven't actually used them.
Right now, my entire productivity system consists of:
-> gMail.
-> Penzu
-> Evernote
-> Slick Tasks
I'm also using sometime Drive Safe in order to get my emails read. I've never tried a text to speech translator for larger documents, but it works fine for emails and short memos.
Razvan
PS: What I've tried and abandoned quickly:
ZOHO suite
-> It is awesome but it's just not for me. There are too many options. When I'll have a sales team for IBM, I'll use ZOHO. For a small business owner or freelancer, it's just too much.
-> GoalPro 2011. I've used version 7 for a long time. 2011 is just too plain stupid. Buy version 7 if you can.
-> ACT!. ACT is an premier CRM (Customer relationship manager). While I can't argue that it's the market leader and it's the most powerful and stable out of all, I've never managed to use it to it's full capacity. Get the trial and test it for yourself.
-> A white board. Some people get just fine with a white board. I've had one in every work location. I've never managed to use it as something more than a note-holder.
-> GTD. Now, a few million people praise GTD. GTD is the godfather of all productivity systems. However, I've never managed to work with it. The actual review, implementation, optimization takes more time than the tasks themselves.
Plus, with a few exceptions, my tasks remain the same. I'm checking mail once a day, I have everything grouped in projects and I'm using a logical outline to them. So, while GTD may be more efficient than hiring a personal secretary, I've never fully implemented it.
(I've read GTD and listened to one audio course. I've also invested about $300 in the required materials, including a digital labeling machine. It now sits in the closet, gathering dust).
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
