The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are some in demand jobs FAR away from society?(Ex. Antarctic Outpost)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I been thinking lately of getting out of society and getting a physically remote job somewhere far away. This way i can do my job without much human contact and work on my software business on my computer.

I feel so distracted living at home and at work. I think if i can just get away from the world It'd be easier.

But i'm guessing remote type jobs are for professional researchers and the like. I got a computer engineering degree, but not sure how that'd be useful on some antarctic outpost or something lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I been thinking lately of getting out of society and getting a physically remote job somewhere far away. This way i can do my job without much human contact and work on my software business on my computer.

I feel so distracted living at home and at work. I think if i can just get away from the world It'd be easier.

But i'm guessing remote type jobs are for professional researchers and the like. I got a computer engineering degree, but not sure how that'd be useful on some antarctic outpost or something lol
Freelancing?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Freelancing?

i mean like physically going somewhere far away from society. Since most people don't wanna do that kind of work there must be some demand out there for low skill remote work?

so far ive looked up
lighthouse steward
maintenance at national parks
research outposts in antarctic
oil rigs(looks promising actually)

can't find an application anywhere though or open position for anything lol

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I talked with people who had done this. For National Park trail building and maintenance, they said there is a web site for a company that places many of these jobs. Unfortunately, I don't remember the company. Also, the jobs they talked about were with other people around, such as trail building was done by teams. I also talked with someone who had worked on an oil drilling platform, two weeks on with great pay, two weeks off. The two weeks off could be as remote as you like. But I think they wanted people with quite a bit of work experience, even to just be in the kitchen.

These conversations were a few years ago, with people I'm not in touch with any more.

But why something so extreme? In many places in the U.S., the farther away you get from NYC or L.A., you can get residential land an hour out of town, put a trailer on it, and be all by yourself as much you like for less than the cost of a bad condo in Brooklyn... but with the ability to get to grocery store and hospital if needed, or to easily return to civilization when you're ready.

There are also web sites for farm stays where you work half time, and have the rest of the time yourself with room and board provided.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I talked with people who had done this. For National Park trail building and maintenance, they said there is a web site for a company that places many of these jobs. Unfortunately, I don't remember the company. Also, the jobs they talked about were with other people around, such as trail building was done by teams. I also talked with someone who had worked on an oil drilling platform, two weeks on with great pay, two weeks off. The two weeks off could be as remote as you like. But I think they wanted people with quite a bit of work experience, even to just be in the kitchen.

These conversations were a few years ago, with people I'm not in touch with any more.

But why something so extreme? In many places in the U.S., the farther away you get from NYC or L.A., you can get residential land an hour out of town, put a trailer on it, and be all by yourself as much you like for less than the cost of a bad condo in Brooklyn... but with the ability to get to grocery store and hospital if needed, or to easily return to civilization when you're ready.

There are also web sites for farm stays where you work half time, and have the rest of the time yourself with room and board provided.

I aint got any savings or a drivers license, so some kind of consistent work is what interests me.
The oil rig stuff seems interesting, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I'll be able to focus completely on my business at least 2 weeks at a time.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
i mean like physically going somewhere far away from society. Since most people don't wanna do that kind of work there must be some demand out there for low skill remote work?

so far ive looked up
lighthouse steward
maintenance at national parks
research outposts in antarctic
oil rigs(looks promising actually)

can't find an application anywhere though or open position for anything lol
Lumberjack is another option.
I'm pretty sure you need a degree to work in Antarctica on a research outpost. Because you live in an environment where literally going outside can kill you. But you can look into this more.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure you need a degree to work in Antarctica on a research outpost. Because you live in an environment where literally going outside can kill you.
You might be right about this. If it's true, I find it funny that a degree would be required when a pep talk would cover 90% of what you need to know to avoid dying by going outside.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
You might be right about this. If it's true, I find it funny that a degree would be required when a pep talk would cover 90% of what you need to know to avoid dying by going outside.
I'm sure I read somewhere once that you need a degree, but I can't find anything saying that with a quick 5 minute Google search.

Well people are surprisingly stupid sometimes. And I'm sure there's other factors which make Antarctic life challenging besides just the devilish cold. I don't think it's that the degree is important, it's more that getting hired is very competitive, and only the most fitting candidates are chosen. I'm sure most fitting doesn't mean most educated though.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Found this if you're interested:

How to Work in Antarctica

hmm gonna be tough cause i aint a citizen, so a federal type antarctic job is out of my reach. Man would be cool to be a janitor or dishawasher in the antarctic lol. Come back to my little room after my shift and work on my apps with arctic white noise in the background haha

no more new york city subway system either. that alone would be worth it lol
i haven't really left the city in 16 years

id totally share pictures of antarctica on the forum as well!

edit:
just realized the night sky would be absolutely breathtaking after living in cities all my life.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
hmm gonna be tough cause i aint a citizen, so a federal type antarctic job is out of my reach. Man would be cool to be a janitor or dishawasher in the antarctic lol. Come back to my little room after my shift and work on my apps with arctic white noise in the background haha

no more new york city subway system either. that alone would be worth it lol
i haven't really left the city in 16 years

id totally share pictures of antarctica on the forum as well!
I'll definitely follow your tales in Antarctica! Tbh it's something I've always wanted to do, but I don't really have the guts right now to leave everything behind for a bit. But I'll be thoroughly entertained and intrigued from my moderate climate ;)

On another site it said being a citizen isn't necessary. There's many options.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I understand the allure of changing your environment and I think that it can indeed be helpful if you no longer have easy access to distractions, but no matter where you'll go, you'll carry your problems with you. It might be easier to focus, but changing your location won't magically improve your ability to focus. The problem is on a deeper level than living in NYC or anywhere else for that matter.

It's almost like sending an overweight person to a desert island. They might lose all excess weight, but once they return to the civilization, they'll probably quickly regain it because the deep-rooted problem is still there.

I know it from experience, because my productivity didn't change when I moved to a different place where I had no friends and spent pretty much 95% of my days alone in front of the computer. It only changed when I made a decision to improve my work ethic so I could finally reach my goals.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I understand the allure of changing your environment and I think that it can indeed be helpful if you no longer have easy access to distractions, but no matter where you'll go, you'll carry your problems with you. It might be easier to focus, but changing your location won't magically improve your ability to focus. The problem is on a deeper level than living in NYC or anywhere else for that matter.

It's almost like sending an overweight person to a desert island. They might lose all excess weight, but once they return to the civilization, they'll probably quickly regain it because the deep-rooted problem is still there.

I know it from experience, because my productivity didn't change when I moved to a different place where I had no friends and spent pretty much 95% of my days alone in front of the computer. It only changed when I made a decision to improve my work ethic so I could finally reach my goals.

Ur absolutely right.
my issue lately has been just a consistent dread when i start focusing on the app project i need to work on, even though im making it for a friend who demonstrated a need, and the app does have potential.
No matter how hard i try to see it from the perspective of value and that im doing a good thing here, my selfish desires to do something I personally would enjoy creates an intense displeasure.
I only get work done whenever i can get past this negative emotional barrier and "get in the zone" of programming the app.

Im getting deep into meditation and when i slow my life down mentally and physically it does make things easier, kind of easing into the app, slowly sitting in my chair, pulling up the program on my screen, and slowly tackling the next programming challenge, makes it more mentally manageable.

On the other side of the coin, if i really hype myself up and just focus intensely i can achieve the same result, but i feel this isn't the proper long term solution and is energy inefficient.

anyways lol you're absolutely right man, i gotta get my work ethic on point.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I think i have to live "as if" im in antarctica, a spiritual journey of indefinite length, the only way to live without distractions is to let go of them. i must accept whatever outcome will happen or ill hesitate.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There is a forum member that just spent his last 3 months in Antarctica. He posted a bunch of photos on FB and it's more like a small town than a deserted ice station. I've been to Antarctica and visited one of the stations briefly. I went during their summer where it's daytime, sunny high of 40F. I think what you are imagining is the winter where it's dark and -30F and you stay inside for months.

But like others have said, your issue is you. You can go wherever you want but you can't escape your own work ethic and beliefs.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm pretty sure you need a degree to work in Antarctica on a research outpost. Because you live in an environment where literally going outside can kill you.

It would also be a total failure if the goal is to get away from EVERYONE. Much of the year the station crew would have to stay inside, with the same few people in close quarters all the time.

There are so many other types of jobs and freelance gigs that can be done with minimal interpersonal contact, from meter reader to long-haul truck driver, to housekeeper who cleans while the owners are away.

Perhaps there is some kind of service that can be offered to farmers, where after they say "ayup, ya can do that fir me," you never need to talk to them again while you visit the fields one a week for the next year.

As a night watchman or mini-storage manager, you might have a lot of dead desk time when you can work on your thing. As long as you look up often enough to spot a burglar on the camera. (The Mission Impossible team counts on your distracted carelessness!)

Having a work shift with few people talking to you, might not require a move to Antarctica after all. It might be available right in your own home town.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It would also be a total failure if the goal is to get away from EVERYONE. Much of the year the station crew would have to stay inside, with the same few people in close quarters all the time.

There are so many other types of jobs and freelance gigs that can be done with minimal interpersonal contact, from meter reader to long-haul truck driver, to housekeeper who cleans while the owners are away.

Perhaps there is some kind of service that can be offered to farmers, where after they say "ayup, ya can do that fir me," you never need to talk to them again while you visit the fields one a week for the next year.

As a night watchman or mini-storage manager, you might have a lot of dead desk time when you can work on your thing. As long as you look up often enough to spot a burglar on the camera. (The Mission Impossible team counts on your distracted carelessness!)

Having a work shift with few people talking to you, might not require a move to Antarctica after all. It might be available right in your own home town.
True, there's lots of other ways you can avoid people. You can't deny that the experience would be pretty rad though.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
You can't deny that the experience would be pretty rad though.

Haha! I'm not introverted enough to not miss everyone else. But if you go for it, please come back with a great book about the experience!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Haha! I'm not introverted enough to not miss everyone else. But if you go for it, please come back with a great book about the experience!
Oh I'm not the one who's doing it. OP was considering it. I wouldn't mind making the journey out there when I got the cash though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.