The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WeWork's $21.1 billion worth question

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
WeWork has been all across the headlines recently.

If you've never heard of it, it's a company offering co-working and office spaces present in 123 cities.

Despite its rapid growth, boosted by a total of $21.1 billion in funding, it is losing money for each customer acquired, and the business isn't sustainable.

To the experts that are now analyzing the case, it seems like WeWork did everything wrong.

It seems astonishing how the company even managed to be worth so much.

But here what the company did right (And what you can learn from it)

WeWork's founder asked himself the right question.

The most powerful you can ask yourself too.

"What business are you really in?"

WeWork isn't in the business of selling office spaces to freelancers.

But in the business of fighting loneliness and creating a sense of gathering.

And it understood this well: by creating lots of events every day for its members.

Every human being wants to feel a sense of being part of something.

Dollars Shave Club applies this concept very well too. It sends every month with its package of razors a free printed newsletter.

In the words of its VP of Marketing revealed to Entrepreneur

"One of our most important marketing vehicles is our actual box. It feels like they're part of a bigger community -- part of something more than just buying razors."

With high churn and competition with subscription boxes, Dollars Shave Club understood that:

They in the business of Community.

This concept is sadly so powerful that psychopaths behind shady cults widely use it. They often convince their followers even to commit heinous crimes, because of how well they make their victims reliant on this sense of being part of something.

Think about what do you remember about the last time you've watched a live sports game.

Chances are you don't even remember what the final score of the game was.

But that you have an ample memory of whom you were watching the game with, whether it was your father or a close friend.

A basketball team isn't in the business of sports, but of creating memories and entertainment.

Yet, the thing is: It's hard to understand what business you're really in.

I create online publications, and most of my traffic comes from Google.

That's why many people in my industry say that they're in the business of SEO, but is it really?

By realizing that you run a media/publishing company instead, you'll magically start seeing more opportunities to expand and grow aside from search engine traffic and your current focus.

It will help you see the big picture.

That's why Apple dropped "Computer" from its name.

Or "Tesla is not in the car business.

Tesla is in the business of electric mobility.

It makes cars, but it is also building the infrastructure that will support EV mobility of all kinds in the future."

As briefly explained by Inc Magazine.

All right, you get it.

Now it's your turn: "What business are you really in?" Reply in this thread

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I have 99% retention rate for my service based business. I’m a tiny business but this concept is soooo vital.

I’m in the business of comforting Type A, successful, demanding, intelligent ppl ages 40-75 and proving to them without a shadow of a doubt that I enjoy their Type A-ness. I’m in the business of caring for other business owners.

My clients are used to being the rock for everyone else in their life.. but from me? They’re treated like people who deserve a break. It’s amazing what having genuine compassion for your customers can do. People want, need, and will JOYFULLY pay for professional services if they’re given with kindness.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
How can you say WeWork has done anything right? They are on the verge of bankruptcy. They were hoping for an IPO to raise more money but that fell through. If it weren't for investors with deep pockets they would be long gone.

Wework lost over $2 Billion dollars in 2018 with a company valuation of $10 Billion that is a sinking ship unless they figure something out.

Does a company that relies on IPO's and investor money sound like a company with good fundamentals?

But here what the company did right (And what you can learn from it)

WeWork's founder asked himself the right question.

But did he ask himself what he would do after he was forced to resign?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Community is the new Marketing.

Seth Godin told us so 11 years ago in Tribes, and it's even more true today.

In 2020 I'm doubling down on community. I foresee it being our biggest traction source going forwards for the long-term.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Unbelievable to me how so many coworking spaces are boring abd don't run events.

Since going to one that really nailed this in Bali, I can't bring myself to pay twice as much for a coworking in Australia that has no events and is so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

Wework in my city was the best with events but it is also by far the most expensive.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
The only thing the founder of WeWork did right was cash out a billion before the ship sank.

On a different note, I’m always intrigued by the story of McDonald’s, and the real estate empire they’ve created.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I'm beggining to think all this big over the top, larger than life start ups from silicon valley are big money graving schemes to rip off rich people that have too much trust in them. WeWork, Thanos and that juice extractor google tried to make Juicero.

Brian Fleig

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Feb 19, 2018
New York
"What business are you really in?"

WeWork isn't in the business of selling office spaces to freelancers.

But in the business of fighting loneliness and creating a sense of gathering.

Now it's your turn: "What business are you really in?" Reply in this thread

Good grief I feel like an idiot. I never would have made this or similar connections on my own.

fastlanedan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 2, 2016
I'm always wary of over the top personalities like Neumann . Very cult like. Enron/Theranos had over the top personalities and look how that ended, Tesla/WeWork have yet to play out fully so my judgement is reserved until then, but it is indisputable that their personalities at various times have damaged investors.

I was always skeptical of WeWorks value. To me they had nothing proprietary other than a cult following. Renting office space on long leases then subdividing it and renting it on monthly rolling leases is not a a new concept, Nor is it one you can copyright/patent/trademark etc.

The $47b valuation is complete non-sense when compared with something like IWG PLC who have far more locations, Actual profits etc. WeWork apologists claim that this comparison is rubbish because of growth. Not hard to grow when you're losing $2 for each $1 of revenue.

But I do think that WeWork is an inspiration, You really can get rich from dumb money.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I'm beggining to think all this big over the top, larger than life start ups from silicon valley are big money graving schemes to rip off rich people that have too much trust in them. WeWork, Thanos and that juice extractor google tried to make Juicero.
Silicon Valley is the Hollywood of business.

Young bucks coming in from all over thinking they’ll hit it big with their big dreams/idea.

I’m reality there’s 1,000,000 more just like them.

fastlanedan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 2, 2016
Silicon Valley is the Hollywood of business.

Young bucks coming in from all over thinking they’ll hit it big with their big dreams/idea.

I’m reality there’s 1,000,000 more just like them.
I can just picture it now. A sea of 20 something males, business cards with CEO on them in hand pitching "The Uber of X" with a hockey stick revenue chart & a pitch deck full of whatever buzzwords are hip these days.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I can just picture it now. A sea of 20 something males, business cards with CEO on them in hand pitching "The Uber of X" with a hockey stick revenue chart & a pitch deck full of whatever buzzwords are hip these days.
“I came to silicone valley to be a STAR...I mean billionaire...”

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
Guys, I've used the controversial WeWork example to make a point. I do disagree on how the business has been managed, and I vouch for bootstrapping until and when possible.

However, the idea for this thread came out of a conversation with a friend of mine that is opening a coworking/coliving space in Puerto Rico. When I'm abroad, I do work from coworking space, and the reason behind is what I wrote previously: I like to meet with likeminded to share ideas. That's the reason why WeWork was born in the first place, and why it raised funds, Investors saw that with more remote workers, there is room for a scalable and trusted brand across the world for doing this: letting people not feeling alone.

But the point of the post isn't arguing about WeWork! It's about how you can apply this more in-depth understanding of your business.

As said in the thread, in my industry, everyone thinks that they're in the SEO business building niche sites and authority sites, however switching the mindset to "being an online publishing company" greatly helps to open the mind to new opportunities, channels, and generally think bigger. I hope my point is clearer now

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.