The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Well Leave Then

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI
I have a tenant that gave me one month notice in January. Shes leaving one month short of the lease but if I an rent the place right away, i'll let it go.

I have a tenant moving in mid February and the old tenant told me i'd have keys by the first. On the 2nd I went by the house. They moved the big stuff out three weeks ago. Now all the "little things" are still there. I've gotten no call, no response to e-mail and no keys.

What is going on here? She was a good tenant but now she isnt leaving. She's not living there she just hasnt cleaned it out yet?

I wonder if she realizes shes paying a pretty high price for storage right now?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Does your state have a process for abandonment? You should have something in your laws that defines the process. In Arizona, we post a notice and send a certified letter. If no response in the defined time, we move the remaining possessions into storage and take control of the unit. The prior resident can still be charged for the lease enforcement.

Sitting on this while waiting for a phone call is not doing you any good.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
LOL! Did she give you written notification that she was leaving early? If not, then you have to assume it's business as usual and she is now late on her February rent (and the ramifications that go with it per your lease and state law).

Not sure of the laws in MI, but I'd start the eviction process by writing a letter to her, taping it to the inside of the front door, and taking a digital photo. There are abandonment laws in every state, so I'd check what your state says about it before doing anything that may get you in trouble.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Here is my hunch.

You will be cleaning out all that "stuff"
and
You will never hear from her again.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Picture me as the little devil on your shoulder for this response ;) haha

If there is nothing too worthwhile in there (Like TV's) then you can probably count on the fact that she was too lazy to move it and decided to just leave it.

This has happened to me several times over the years. 10 times out of 10, I've just had the stuff hauled off to the dump and kept the tenant's deposit, and I've never heard from them again.

If they have a problem with it, tell them that you have no idea what happened to their stuff, and it was all gone when you went in there. Must have been neighborhood thieves, who knew the house was vacant ;)

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI
Worked out, kinda. I told her to call when she was ready for the walk through. Today after I posted this she answered the phone. She left the front door key in the mailbox.

I asked her, what about the walk through and your security? So I guess we'll be walking through on Wednesday.

Just seemed weird, why wouldnt you call and just be done with it? She's taken wonderful care of the place. Never heard of a landlord having to chase down a tenant to give back a security deposit.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Well they rent because they suck at money management.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.