The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

website name

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I am currently working on a site that I'm hoping will revolutionize the way business is done. That's all I can say right now :smxB:. (Sorry to be so annoyingly vague.) My problem is right now I am trying to find a good name for my site. Should I go with a name that accurately sums up what it is, or should I go with a non-sensical word? I know that this is a seemingly abstract questions seeing how there is no mention of the product or the use of the product- but what makes for a good domain name in your opinion?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
First rule of thumb: NO DASHES
Second: Shorter, the better.
Third: .COM ONLY
Fourth: The odds of finding something decent available at the registrars is slim and none. You will need to use the 2ndary market and pay for it.
Fifth: The best names avoid possible misspellings and vocalizations. For example: A domain name with "bureaucracy" in it is poor simply because the name is commonly misspelled.
Sixth: Try to get derivatives: When I registered this name, I registered BOTH "TheFastlaneToMillions" AND "FastlaneToMillions". Also notice, "fastlane" and "millions" are rarely misspelled. Plus, if I say audibly "Visit my website at 'the-fastlane-to-millions' a person can easily remember it, and access it.

Secondary Markets:
TDAM.com
Afternic.com
LeaseThis.com
Search Google: Domain name aftermarket

good luck.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Good information MJ.

Rep ++++

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
thx Peter, also Dana, if you want me to review your domain choices, PM me and I will tell u which ones are the best and most brandable.

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Alliteration is also a good tactic, as long as the last letter of a word isn't the same as the first letter of the next word. Camelcase notation is clear for print advertising purposes. Examples:

NewsNetwork.com (N-N)
BargainBooks.com (B-B)
(not sure if these are sites or not; I'm sure they are)

Alliteration (same starting letter) helps a lot, in my opinion.

-Jason

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Alliteration is also a good tactic, as long as the last letter of a word isn't the same as the first letter of the next word. Camelcase notation is clear for print advertising purposes. Examples:

NewsNetwork.com (N-N)
BargainBooks.com (B-B)
(not sure if these are sites or not; I'm sure they are)

Alliteration (same starting letter) helps a lot, in my opinion.

-Jason
:iamwithstupid: Also, great tips. Time to leave no parking ... speed++

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
One of the "tips" from a book I am reading... Art of the Start is to chose a one word name that could be used as a verb.. In your ideal world, your company name enters the language itself.

We xerox a document - rather than make a copy of it.
We google the information - rather than do a search on the internet for the information.

Place your name in this sentence...

________________ it.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
This doesn't help with choosing a name, but once you've chosen your name and it's available, consider also acquiring any very common typos. Many people type directly into the address bar and if they type it wrong, using a common typo can still get them to your site, and it only costs for the domain name cuz you will point it to your correct name.

Another helpful tool can be this http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Don't use numbers or letters that could be left out inadvertantly. It can/will result in someone else getting YOUR business.

True story:
MLM company, list of names to choose from for domain names. I picked (not the real domain name for obvious reasons): "rewardsR4life", unknown to me someone else had "rewards4life". They were involved in the same MLM, when MY visitors misspelled MY domain name, they were directed to my COMPETITION! ANd THEY got MY sales!!!! :nonod:

ToddW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 4, 2007
California
Checkout SEDO.com for a bunch of names for sale too.
NEGOTIATION is key.

*SEDO SIDETRACK*
I put in an offer of $100 for a domain and the seller countered with $5,000. I offered $125, and said they were asking to much, they countered for $4,000 I did the same but offered $150. To my surprise they accepted my $150 offer! SEDO takes $50, so they walked away with 100 bucks but started at $5000.

SEDO Lesson - Don't give up! Keep bargaining with them until you get it for a price you are ok with or until they close the negotiations.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Checkout SEDO.com for a bunch of names for sale too.
NEGOTIATION is key.

*SEDO SIDETRACK*
I put in an offer of $100 for a domain and the seller countered with $5,000. I offered $125, and said they were asking to much, they countered for $4,000 I did the same but offered $150. To my surprise they accepted my $150 offer! SEDO takes $50, so they walked away with 100 bucks but started at $5000.

SEDO Lesson - Don't give up! Keep bargaining with them until you get it for a price you are ok with or until they close the negotiations.

Good story, good referral. .. . Speed++

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.