The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Design Help

Phantom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 1, 2011
Hey everyone,

So I have no background in computer programming or anything like that (other then statistical software's). I want to create a website. Would learning HTML be the best way to go about it? I don't want to hire a freelancer, because I don't really have the money plus learning this stuff could be useful in the future.

Is there any other programs you would recommend for a newbie?

Many thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Do a search on the forums - there are a bunch of threads that address this exact topic.

To answer your question, if you're not looking to create a web application you're better off learning how to use a CMS like Wordpress or Drupal than spending time learning HTML from the ground up. HTML is a very low-value skill in today's world...

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
You should learn HTML/XHTML first. It's a very easy language to learn. After that go with PHP, Javascript, CSS. Those four languages are really all you'll need for website creation. Having some MySQL and Apache skills will also come in handy but you'll tend to learn them as you learn PHP.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
I think it really depends upon what you want the site to do.

Is it really complex site with lots of custom features? Or can you get by using something like wordpress, which has tons of "plugins" that give it further functionality without the designer really needing to know any coding at all.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
You should learn HTML/XHTML first. It's a very easy language to learn. After that go with PHP, Javascript, CSS. Those four languages are really all you'll need for website creation. Having some MySQL and Apache skills will also come in handy but you'll tend to learn them as you learn PHP.

Waste of time if you're not looking to be a web developer. Instead of teaching yourself skills that can be outsourced for less than US minimum wage use that time and energy to build a business.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Waste of time if you're not looking to be a web developer. Instead of teaching yourself skills that can be outsourced for less than US minimum wage use that time and energy to build a business.

Those skills aren't just useful for web developers. If you want to run a site with lots of cool features, you'll need to learn them or else pay a bunch of money to freelancers and hope that they get it right. Also, if you need to add more features in the future any new freelancer will have trouble understanding the code of the previous freelancer. And, if your site gets hacked, you need to respond quickly.

Phantom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 1, 2011
Well the purpose of the website I want to design is to provide free information. So its going to be a content based design. The point is to provide free content to the users and get paid through advertisement. So the whole website is actually going to be pretty simple in my opinion.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just use Weebly or Wordpress for this.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Well the purpose of the website I want to design is to provide free information. So its going to be a content based design. The point is to provide free content to the users and get paid through advertisement. So the whole website is actually going to be pretty simple in my opinion.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just use Weebly or Wordpress for this.

Go with Wordpress then. It has many more plugins than any other free CMS and a huge community to draw on for support related questions.

VincentVega

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 3, 2011
Check out Artisteer for putting up a decent design in 20 min for most CMS platforms

the code isn't great, but it will help you get started faster and ease the learning curve in Wordpress or whatever CMS you're using.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.