The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

We are all still in School, even if we aren't

Anything related to matters of the mind

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
My wife has recently started going back to school - mostly online course.

Watching her go through the lessons and learn new things about using the computer and it's programs to perform certain functions has been a learning experience for the both of us. So while technically SHE is the one going to school, I also consider myself going through school as well, but in my own way.

I have goals that I have to achieve in my online business. I have 'courses' that I follow and I expect certain results by a given deadline. I do online research, put together plans, and follow through to build something that is within the guidelines set forth by me and my peers.

I have homework to do on a daily basis and I have items that I have to 'hand in'. Not to a professor, but to my outsourcers so that they can get it down correctly. Every Day I am learning. I need to perform a specific task and so I seek out how to do it online. I learn by necessity. I get graded on my results from various metrics such as how much traffic I've driven or many conversions I've made. If a tactic that I've used does not meet either one of both of these metrics then I an F (or sometimes a D+).

If I execute the process given to me well then I may be an A or A+

The real point of this is that we are all still in school, but on different levels. I certainly don't miss the school cafeteria or gym class (though I could use a few hours in the gym each week). What I am grateful for are all the organizational skills that school has taught me and the ability to bring the same mentality into my business life.

We never stop learning (unless we choose to stop, but that is a bigger issue than what can be discussed here). We never stop growing adn we never stop using the tools that were taught to us in school such as double checking your home work (due diligence), meeting certain deadlines, working within a team etc etc.

And, for many of us, MATH is still be used heavily in todays fields even when growing up we would say things like 'we will never use these formulas once we graduate'. Well it's funny how necessity and determination causes us to go back to our routes, so to speak.

As I sitting here, studying a course that I picked up, making notes and signing myself up for homework assignments, I've realized that what my Wife is doing now isn't much different from what I'm trying to accomplish. Except the difference is, I'm the only one that will hold myself accountable. So if I start to fail, it's all on me.

Well, I won't fail. Thats a given :smug2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
It's late and I pretty tired, so sorry for all the typos and grammatical erros. Ambien doesn't help it much so I'm going to bed.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This is great. Your realization is what I tell my students everyday. I also have homework. I read 30/60 minutes a day. I have to put together reports. I have to meet with bankers and other business prospects. I solve problems with peers. My only report card comes from our earnings, net worth, and personal satisfaction.

+++speed for sharing your lesson.:fastlane:

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Runum, what grade do you teach if you don't mind me asking? I've always had a desire to teach after I make some money in the business world

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'll steal a line from my book ...

If you want to succeed a Fastlane, education must NOT end at graduation, it must begin.

Although retired, the things I have learned in the last few years in this writing process has been incredible! Publishing process, ISBNs, publishing channels, forum management; the learning never ends. We all must be on a quest for constant expansion of knowledge so we can better run our systems!

Speed+Thanks!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I'll steal a line from my book ...

If you want to succeed a Fastlane, education must NOT end at graduation, it must begin.

Although retired, the things I have learned in the last few years in this writing process has been incredible! Publishing process, ISBNs, publishing channels, forum management; the learning never ends. We all must be on a quest for constant expansion of knowledge so we can better run our systems!

Speed+Thanks!

I think you are in for one heck of a ride with publishing a book. What you had now is just a start probably!

I'm constantly learning in a lot of subjects, from business to human relationships, we are learning constantly..

liv42dy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 6, 2007
I agree. If we want to keep growing, we have to keep learning. It's not just the accumulation of knowledge that is important, but also putting it into practice. Which is what Carlin and many others on this forum are doing.

I think the one benefit to learning in a classroom is that we are presented with a structured curriculum with certain classes we must take in order to achieve our goal/degree. We're even given a syllabus at the beginning of the semester telling us exactly what is to be expected of us over the following weeks and when our assignments are due. But when we're out learning on our own trying to put together our own lesson plan with corresponding assignments and grades, and doing all of this at a novice level, is not easy. It really does take a teacher, a mentor, someone who is more experienced to guide us through the process of achieving that A+ grade! Of course, you can always try to go it on your own and measure your success according to your bank account balance. But I have never heard of someone reading a book, declaring himself an expert on the subject matter, then becoming an instant success.

In many ways School in the Classroom is a lot easier than the School of Life. Here's to all of us in the School of Life!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Runum, what grade do you teach if you don't mind me asking? I've always had a desire to teach after I make some money in the business world

I teach 5th grade science. It's a blast. It's not hard to dazzle eleven year olds with slights of the hand and the art of visual deception. If I dazzle them enough they bang the door down to get into my class.:cheers:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Not a whole lot to add as there is much wisdom in all of the posts.

The day you stop learning is the day you stop growing. The day you stop growing is where you will be for the rest of your life.

More about that statement:The Woman Who Never Stopped Growing

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!